[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Hey is there an easy way to update from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8?

Thanks!

Pcace

Hi, please, how can i update from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8? i installed all kexts to /Extra. but when rebooting it cant see my boot-hdd.?!

and now a second Problem: Sleep works fine, but why cant i shutdown my hackintosh? it simply reboots! (i'm using the UD5 and the F9 Bios...)

Thanks!

Hi, please, how can i update from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8? i installed all kexts to /Extra. but when rebooting it cant see my boot-hdd.?!

and now a second Problem: Sleep works fine, but why cant i shutdown my hackintosh? it simply reboots! (i'm using the UD5 and the F9 Bios...)

Thanks!

You need fakesmc.kext. Also you will mostly hear crickets in this thread because SL is $30 and everyone took that recession-cheap opportunity to upgrade to the latest version. More support in SL thread too.

You need fakesmc.kext. Also you will mostly hear crickets in this thread because SL is $30 and everyone took that recession-cheap opportunity to upgrade to the latest version. More support in SL thread too.

Hey thanks! 10.5.8 works now nearly perfect!

Only one Problem: why doesnt work shutdown? i can get tthe computer to sleep perfectly and it wakes up too! But why is the shutdown not possible?

Eberytime i click on "Shutdown" the computer just restarts!!

Please help!

Pcace

PS.: What information do you need to help me?!

• 2 weeks later...

HELP!!! I used DD's method to setup my Hack and everything has been great for months. Then I noticed a problem with sound output in Ichat, so I tried repairing permissions and changed the output audio to another line-out. That worked, but the next day when I went to turn on the machine, I get kernel panic. I have no idea what I did. I even tried to reinstall everything using the same method on a totally different hard drive and I still get the same thing. That leads me to think that something happened with the hardware, but I have no idea of where to look.

I have 6 2GB sticks of RAM, and I tried swapping them in and out to see if one of them might have gone bad, but I always get the same error.

I can boot up the machine in safe mode using "-x" at the boot prompt, but that's as far as I've gotten.

I hope someone can help me. This has been a perfect machine up till now. ALEX

Here is a photo of the error.

post-245902-1257581476_thumb.gif

HELP!!! I used DD's method to setup my Hack and everything has been great for months. Then I noticed a problem with sound output in Ichat, so I tried repairing permissions and changed the output audio to another line-out. That worked, but the next day when I went to turn on the machine, I get kernel panic. I have no idea what I did. I even tried to reinstall everything using the same method on a totally different hard drive and I still get the same thing. That leads me to think that something happened with the hardware, but I have no idea of where to look.

I have 6 2GB sticks of RAM, and I tried swapping them in and out to see if one of them might have gone bad, but I always get the same error.

I can boot up the machine in safe mode using "-x" at the boot prompt, but that's as far as I've gotten.

I hope someone can help me. This has been a perfect machine up till now. ALEX

Here is a photo of the error.

post-245902-1257581476_thumb.gif

An improperly installed sound kext is causing a KP. Do you have a headphone connected to one of the audio out jacks? That will cause a KP.

MAJ

An improperly installed sound kext is causing a KP. Do you have a headphone connected to one of the audio out jacks? That will cause a KP.

MAJ

You were exactly right of course. The problem is I messed up my install so much trying to figure out what was wrong. I decided to go back and reinstall everything.

The first time I used your script, it was flawless. Everything went like clockwork.

This time however, I can't seem to get the IONetworking.kext to load so the new install can't find the ethernet ports. When it's booting, I see it's trying to load the Apple kext and getting an error.

I even went out and bought a brand new hard drive to make sure it wasn't something left over from previous installs. I am completely out of ideas. Can you help me to figure out what I am doing wrong?

Thank you again, ALEX

No Shut down

NO SLEEP!

I installed a fresh copy of 10.5.7 to a friend using DD's first script (the one that on this thread)

he bought the same HardWare as me.

for some reason when I press shut down - it restarts.

and when I try to SLEEP - the monitors get black - for 5 seconds than come back automatically..

Any ideas?

maybe some power managment settings in BIOS?

very weird - I did the same procedure on my own rig with no problems at all!

Please help!

You were exactly right of course. The problem is I messed up my install so much trying to figure out what was wrong. I decided to go back and reinstall everything.

The first time I used your script, it was flawless. Everything went like clockwork.

This time however, I can't seem to get the IONetworking.kext to load so the new install can't find the ethernet ports. When it's booting, I see it's trying to load the Apple kext and getting an error.

I even went out and bought a brand new hard drive to make sure it wasn't something left over from previous installs. I am completely out of ideas. Can you help me to figure out what I am doing wrong?

Thank you again, ALEX

Are you sure you're not dealing with a dead LAN port? The UD5 has a reputation for this.

Check your BIOS --> SMARTLAN1 and 2 and see if it will test for cable lengths. If it doesn't, it's likely dead and needs to be reset. Pull the power cord for 10 seconds or clear the CMOS.

MAJ

Are you sure you're not dealing with a dead LAN port? The UD5 has a reputation for this.

Check your BIOS --> SMARTLAN1 and 2 and see if it will test for cable lengths. If it doesn't, it's likely dead and needs to be reset. Pull the power cord for 10 seconds or clear the CMOS.

MAJ

I checked the ports again, and they are working. I have an iDeneb setup for installing the main system and when I boot into that, I can see both ports recognized and working.

I also went into the BIOS and tested both ports. Both gave me cable lengths.

I did this exact same setup with the previous version of the installer, and it was working great.

Do you have the previous version of your installer available for download?

I'm installing from a retail 10.5.2 disc, then updating using the 10.5.8 combo update.

Here is a photo of the boot up.

post-245902-1257897519_thumb.gif

Thanks for everything you've done for this. Your guide has made this such an easy thing to do, but I'm just not sure where I'm going wrong. ALEX

OK. It's working now. Someone else had the same problem and they used kext helper b7 to reinstall the ionetworkingfamily.kext.

Thanks again to everyone out there who helps make this available, and especially to people like DD who spend their time not only getting things to work, but also make it easier for everyone. ALEX

Have made progress on my UD5 and now have Snow Leopard up per Digital Dreamers retail install...but am wondering and need info on:

I see install combo update in the tutorial...was that only for leopard..not snow leopard? I haven't seen where to do it in mobo patch.

I don't see anytime to enter the 32 bit commands. I have read in these threads .. reboot and "at the prompt" type v- etc...what prompt?

And finally....I have the ATI 4870 hd and while installed it stopped the install process on the last line of code before boot (froze). Installed an nvidia card and the install went good and got me to the point I'm at now....... can I add kext for the 4870 in the Extra folder and put the ati card back in the system instead of the nvidia card?

Making progress slowly...thanks to everyone out there.....please help and thank you!

I followed the various pieces of advice for other people with similar problems, but I can't seem to get past the "System Uptime in nanoseconds: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" line. I'm installing 10.5.7 on a UD5, and any help would be appreciated.

post-247817-1259383087_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hy guys.... is anyone that can help me? i did exactly what this guide says and also i tried all the guides that has to do with this mobo but in the end when the installation finishes i cannot start 10.5.7 or 10.5.8 or snow without putting the cpus=1 and busratio=20 switches.

What im missing? anyone has any clue?

Thx in advance

I followed the various pieces of advice for other people with similar problems, but I can't seem to get past the "System Uptime in nanoseconds: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" line. I'm installing 10.5.7 on a UD5, and any help would be appreciated.

I was in the same spot. I removed the 3 HDA Kexts from my Extra folder, rebuilt boot caches, and the system boots fine. Still no audio. Love to fix that if anyone can point me right.

Hello All,

I am just new to the scene. I just purchased a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 board with the hopes to natively run Mac OS and Windows 7 on it, using the Chameleon 2 boot loader. I have been trying to follow digital_dreamers post, but it seems to no avail. I have been using iAtkos to put the Chameleon 2 boot loader on, but once I have iAtkos on, I get lost. Am I supposed to run the patcher script in iAtkos or Chameleon? How would I run the patcher in chameleon? And if there is not a password assignend how do you go any further?

Thanks very much, and sorry if this sounds all childish, but it is confusing for a first timer.

-al

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66ghz

Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-UD5

RAM: 6x2GB OCZ

HDD: 2x 700GB Western Digital

GPU: ATI HD4870 1GB Saphire

Hello All,

I am just new to the scene. I just purchased a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 board with the hopes to natively run Mac OS and Windows 7 on it, using the Chameleon 2 boot loader. I have been trying to follow digital_dreamers post, but it seems to no avail. I have been using iAtkos to put the Chameleon 2 boot loader on, but once I have iAtkos on, I get lost. Am I supposed to run the patcher script in iAtkos or Chameleon? How would I run the patcher in chameleon? And if there is not a password assignend how do you go any further?

Thanks very much, and sorry if this sounds all childish, but it is confusing for a first timer.

-al

HDD: 2x 700GB Western Digital

i have the ud3r board and nvidia gfx but this should work for you anyway:

download:

- dd's script, version 4.2c and dd's preboot cd iso (the one from his idisk - thats's the one that works, http://idisk.mac.com/digital_dreamer/Publi...ntosh_Core_i7/)

- retail snow leopard iso (i think it worked even with the non-retail version that comes with macbooks - i just had to edit the dvd label expected inside the script itself - but that was back on 10.5.6 disk or so that i tried on)

extract the script zip onto an usb disk (preferably one formatted under mac os) and go to kexts_10.6/misc patches and make sure the SleepEnabler.kext is not there. if it is, move it into the _repository subfolder. (i don't know about ud5 but it causes failure on my ud3r)

burn the isos (mac os to dvd, preboot will do with a cd)

boot from the preboot cd

when you see the big disc icon in the centre, swap the disc for the snow leopard dvd

hit f5 and give it a few seconds, don't mind the few error messages

the dvd should boot and you should be able to make a full vanilla install of snow leo. before you trigger the installation, i suggest you run disk utility form the installer's top menu and format the target disk with two partitions, GPT style, partitions formatted as journaled, but not case sensitive.

on the next reboot - boot from the preboot cd again, you should be presented with a choice to boot into the partition you just installed the snow leo to. do so.

you should be booted into the mac os quite flawlessly here. if you are, i strongly suggest you dont touch this installation ofr a while - it will serve as a "restore point" to get back to. also its good to bring a copy of the script folder to this partition and also the image of the snowleo install dvd, in iso or dmg format.

when you have this ready, mount the snowleo iso and run the "run-patch_installer" command from the script folder.

when asked which partition you want to install to, choose the other one of your target hard disk (that is not the one you have just installed and booted from) and go for the Extra option, not the EFI partition.

use the 1) option that runs the full script sequence

when asked what bootloader to install, choose PC-EFI 10.5

from here you should just follow the mac os install (it takes about 6 mintues in my case, as i store the SL ISO on an SSD drive) - choose custom install, put it onto the OTHER partition, remove the language packs and any other rubbish you don't need to install)...

when install is finished, in the script window hit a key, it iwll proceed with kext installer/dsdt patcher. just press Y and trust the script, it knows what its doing... :)

before you exit the script, hit the 5) option and look at what you see. all the x86_64 entries should be in /System, so if you see any of those that is in /Extra, press its corresponding key to switch. when all are set to /System, hit N to build the cache. (i may be wrong with this assumption, but it works for me...)

after this you should be able to reboot and if you boot to this harddrive, you should see a menu with both your SL installs. keep the first one untweeked for some time. coz if you mess up both of them, you'll have to trace back to the reinstall from the physical disc, which is rather time-consuming. that's why i keep two installs so that i always have one to return to and execute a quick reinstall (from a mounted iso, as opposed to from a physical disc) from this one onto the other partition.

it can take a week or three before you tweak your kext cache with all your drivers, till everything works the way it should, and it's so easy to render your installation unbootable. hence the back-up solution.

i wrote this form the top of my head as im not at my home hackintosh at the moment, so i hope i got the order of the steps right... :D

p.

download:

- dd's script, version 4.2c and dd's preboot cd iso (the one from his idisk - thats's the one that works, http://idisk.mac.com/digital_dreamer/Publi...ntosh_Core_i7/)

- retail snow leopard iso (i think it worked even with the non-retail version that comes with macbooks - i just had to edit the dvd label expected inside the script itself - but that was back on 10.5.6 disk or so that i tried on)

Where can I download the preboot cd iso? I don't have access permissions to DD's idisk. Is there another place where I can grab it?

Thanks for the advice yumanoid. I can't wait to try this.

-al

Where can I download the preboot cd iso? I don't have access permissions to DD's idisk. Is there another place where I can grab it?

Thanks for the advice yumanoid. I can't wait to try this.

-al

Script D_D 4.22 is out ! http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097

http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...h_Installer.zip

Here is an boot USB image for the EX58-UD5 mobo (10.6.2 boot !)

http://www.kexts.com/view/176-gigabyte_ga-...9_usb_v4.0.html

or here an CD boot image for the EX58-UD5 mobo:

http://www.mediafire.com/MowgliBook

;)

Hey Thanks very much AROBASEFR and yumanoid! You were so much help! I have successfully got a vanilla 10.6 loaded onto my hard drive using a USB load. I followed Adam Pash's Life Hacker Guide for USB boot drive guide for Snow leopard, and using the boot files specific for the Gigabyte EX58-UD5 board, provided to me by AROBASEFR. (I have no idea who compiled these files) Finding a successful method to install the OS X 10.6 proved to be a challenging task for a novice such as myself, but the method described worked for my board.

Now. I need to get my sound fixed for my Mobo, and I need to set up the Chameleon boot loader to read off the hard disk, instead of my thumb drive so I don't need my thumb drive to boot up every time. I am assuming I can install the Chameleon boot loader with the Digital Dreamer script? Also, restart is halted and cannot restart. And If someone could give me some tips about the sound I would be all ears!

Thanks for all of your help and thanks in advance for any additional help,

-al

HDD: 2x 750GB Western Digital

Audio on the UD4P

I've been trying to get a working 10.5.8 for some time now. Basically, my hang up is audio. I've done a retail 10.5.6 -> combo update 10.5.8 with the new chameleon in DD's new script using a Mac. I removed the ATY_init and used EFI for my 7600gt card.

When booting I get a KP complaining about the HDA files - remove them and I get perfect boot but no audio. I installed the AppleHDA for the UD3R from the repository to the /system using the script - system boots - no audio.

Seems like this would be a simple one, but I've read a ton of posts and can't seem to find a solution. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Resolved Sound. I realized I didn't have my speakers plugged in. I added the HDAEnabler.kext and LegacyHDA.kext using the DD's 4.22 script with the kext/kernel install. Seem to work. I updated system in to 10.6.2 using the Apple update. That is sweet, I never expected to be able to do that! Graphics appear to be running fine.

Problems:

•32/64 bit

I don't know if I am running in 32 bit or 64 bit, how can I tell, and how can I move to 64 bit.

•Booting.

I am still trying to resolve the booting problems without the USB driver present. I cannot boot into Snow Leopard without the USB drive present and set to primary boot disk in BIOS (really annoying).

•Shutdown/Restart

I am also trying to fix shutdown/restart kernel panics. (I haven't tried sleep yet, because I expect there will be a kernel panic.)

Thanks for all of the help guys! I am getting very very excited to have gotten this far. Snow Leopard seems to be extremely solid - go UNIX!

-al

HDD: 2x 750GB Western Digital

I tryed to install the update for snowleopard but forgot to update the sleepenabler and replace my dmos for fakeSMC. Now when I start from my Snowleopard-disk I get a kernel panic.

On this forum I found out that I should replace the sleepenabler and dmos for fakeSMC and rebuild my chaches with the script from Digital Dreamer. When I boot into Kalyway distro I used to install SL the script and diskutility cannot find the disk SL is installed on.

Windows 7 can find the disks and I can read/write them with Macdisk

can anybody help me? My iphone needs to be restored, but the backup is on the SL install :(sad.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Can you help me,please ?

I don't know which version do i have to install on my PC.

My specs are :

CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 2.66ghz

3 GB DDR3

GTX 285

2 x WD 6400 AAKS.

Please help me. Thanks in advance.

Hello,

For your MOBO go to this link:Install Snow leopard on your configuration

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...5097&st=600

My config is the same ( without GTX285 )and it works great

Good luck !