[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Hi guys would anyone tell me which Kexts are the minimum to get to the desktop?

I am trying to find out which one is causing some trouble and DD's kext installer install a lot of them.

Is it fine dropping them somewhere? Or do I need to use a installer?

Without any kexts right now it restarts straight away once it reaches the apple screen. I know I need some stuff is it the disabler?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have 10.6.2 running on another HD running perfectly with sound and lan and final cut but cant seem to get a fxplugin to work so have to try downgrading to 10.5.7.

I have a gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 mb, i7 2.66GHz, 12Gb DDR3, GeForce 9800 GT rig and I tried installing OSX 10.5.7 by following these instructions using each of the bootloaders but cant get past the logo. It always restarts my system. Is it because I have a different mb or do I need different kexts. Anyone have suggestions.

Thanks

I was wondering if you could provide detailed instructions on how to install efi strings and additional kexts for a different video card (after install the 10.5.7 os) than the one you are using in your install instructions. I have a nVidia GeForce 9800 GT. Thanks

I was wondering if you could provide detailed instructions on how to install efi strings and additional kexts for a different video card (after install the 10.5.7 os) than the one you are using in your install instructions. I have a nVidia GeForce 9800 GT. Thanks

I am about to attempt an install of the same video card tomorrow. I second the request for detailed instructions.

CPU - Core i7 920

mobo - Gigabyte EX58-UD5

Ram - 8 GB Corsair XMS3 4 x 2GB DDR3 1600mhz

GPU - PNY GeForce 9800 GT EE 1024 MB

HDD - 1 TB Seagate Barracuda

OS - 10.6

Hi. This guide seems pretty straight-forward and lots of good information.

I'm about to build a pc that runs 10.5.x. (Retail DVD)

I'll be using it for video-editing mostly.

I'll be buying a complete set of new components (in a couple of days) and the price isnt the problem as long as the hardware is supported 100%.

the components i've chosen so far are:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5, X58

Socket-1366, SLI&CrossFireX, DDR3, ATX, 3xPCI-Ex(2.0)x16

Crucial DDR3 1333MHz 12GB KIT REG/ECC

Kit w/3x DDR3 4GB, 240pin, CL9, 1.5V, 512x72

Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-920

Quad Core, 2.66Ghz, Socket 1366, 8MB, 130W, Boxed w/fan

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1,5TB,

SATA, 7200RPM, 32MB

2 x Monitors: BenQ 24" LED V2410 Eco

1920x1080, 5000000:1, 5ms, VGA/HDMI

Gainward GeForce 9800GT 1GB PhysX CUDA

PCI-Express 2.0, GDDR3, DVI, native-HDMI, HDCP, Graphics Plus

I've tried searching both the wiki page and this forum to get the right components. The only thing i'm a bit worried about is the Graphics Card. I thought as long as its the same GPU (in my case 9800gt) it will work. but i've got the impression that some dont.

I'll be using 2 monitors running at 1920x1080.

Will the card that i've chosen work and is it a hassle to install it?

If there is doubt, is there any other cards that i could buy (to run 2 dvi/hdmi monitors)?

The shop i will be using is http://www.komplett.no/k/kl.aspx?bn=10488

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards, Alex

Hi guys, just want to share my current success status on most of my work on the X58M Motherboard:

System:

MB: MSI X58M

CPU: Intel Core i7 920

RAM: 3x1 GB DDR3 1333 RAM

GPU: EVGA Nvidia 9500 GT on DVI

With this i have a working Snow Leo and Windows 7 on same HDD with 3 partitions, one for sharing files (fat 32) and one for windows (preinstalled) and one for mac.

Ok this is what i did to make it work:

1st i burned a cd with the Empire EFI v1.085 for intel core processors.zip

2nd i booted from the disc and then it prompts you to eject the disc and insert your Retail Snow Leopard Disc, did that and everything went well with no panics.

3rd: installed Mac OS X 10.6 with no printer or extra languages

4th: rebooted and it gave me the no OS found error (so it didnt boot to windows), turned off the PC and turned it back on so i can eject the disc from my pc.

5th: inserted the Empire EFI disc again and selected the Boot partition with mac on -v in case there was any panics, all booted fine to the welcome in lost of languages, now my resolution was the basic 1024 x 768 and the audio didnt work, the only thing working was the Ethernet adapter. I then installed the Myhack installer and went to update to the latest versions of everything til i got the 10.6.2 and rebooted

6th: On reboot i turned off the pc and turned it back on to eject the disc and after this the Chameleon boot came on along with my hack so i selected the windows and mac logos to make sure they booted fine and they did, then i went to Windows and ran the utcfix registry file that i got from the myhack website to Fix the Time change for every boot from mac to windows.

7th: booted to mac and downloaded the NVEnabler 64.kext from kexts.com and installed it with Kext Helper b7, rebooted and i was able to get the max resolution on my monitor which is: 1680x1050 and i can run VIDEOS now, on system profiler i can see the nvidia 9500 gt info but it doesnt run games well they have a very low frame rate.

8th: i then came here and saw this:

Any one with a EVGA x58 interested in 2 channel sound from the ALC889

Backup current appledha.kext and dhaenabler.kext if needed

run the package posted in this post. named AzaliaAudio.pkg Do not reboot after install

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo pico AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Search for IOHDAudioCodecVendorID (press Ctrl + W)

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

<string>0x10ecffff</string> ----------------->change to <string>0x10ec0889</string>

exit and save

sudo pico AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Search for IOPCIPrimaryMatch

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0xNNNN8086</string> (where NNNN are any 4 characters)

Change <string>0xNNNN8086</string> --------------->change to<string>0x3E3A8086 0x3A3E8086</string> (note not sure if its reverse bit but I put both in and it works)

Save and exit

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

cd /System/Library

sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

REboot

you system profiler will say no audio device but in system preferences you should have an audio output device.

Not perfect but better then nothing

Try it let me know if you have any luck with this method on evga x58 MB

digital_dreamer

Mar 24 2009, 01:26 AM

So i did all in the quoted text but i didn't get audio working after reboot, then i got this crazy idea of installing the realtek audio ALC850.pkg which i read on another thread so i download it and installed it, rebooted the PC and as Digital dreamer said there is nothing on system profiler but the audio is Now WORKING! on the realtek Hd Audio 8086

The only questions i have are, is there something i can do to make my EVGA 9500 GT card run good for 3D games? or if this is all it will do then there is no problem, another thing i would like to know is how to get my DDR3 RAM to display correctly, im currently using the 3GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM but it only shows 3GB 667 DDR2 RAM on About this mac, i know i can change this with osx86 tools but im not sure if Snow Leo is actually using 667 MHz Ram or 1333 MHz, All help is appreciated!
since i wanted to use this mac for testing purposes and for running apps like pwnage tools and others that are unavailable in windows or too weird to use...

UPDATE! As of now, my Hackintosh is working Great, i have learnde a lot from Prasys on his guide and bout using custom DSDTs. Good day people!

Edited by ozl

I followed this guide as I have a very similar setup:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=204010

I also posted in that guide for help:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1432244

Basically I am having some strange network issues...

Network:

1) Using the option "Using DHCP" does not work (i.e. Auto-detect IP). The status of the Ethernet connection is yellow. I did however connect my MBPro to the same internet connection to get the config. I then changed the configuration in my Hack to 'Manually' and entered the same information. The internet works with this setup. Not to happy about that as I would have to do this every time I reboot.

2) I connected to a file share (AFP) and it works. I transferred a large file (7GB) and tried to surf the internet at the same time. The internet pretty much stalls. I've never had this problem before with my MBPro. Not sure why this occurs but very strange that it doesn't allow bandwidth between both an internal router transfer and outside to the internet. Leads me to believe its a network driver problem

Current Kexts:

http://i.imgur.com/8HAfY.png

Resolved Sound. I realized I didn't have my speakers plugged in. I added the HDAEnabler.kext and LegacyHDA.kext using the DD's 4.22 script with the kext/kernel install. Seem to work. I updated system in to 10.6.2 using the Apple update. That is sweet, I never expected to be able to do that! Graphics appear to be running fine.

Problems:

•32/64 bit

I don't know if I am running in 32 bit or 64 bit, how can I tell, and how can I move to 64 bit.

•Booting.

I am still trying to resolve the booting problems without the USB driver present. I cannot boot into Snow Leopard without the USB drive present and set to primary boot disk in BIOS (really annoying).

•Shutdown/Restart

I am also trying to fix shutdown/restart kernel panics. (I haven't tried sleep yet, because I expect there will be a kernel panic.)

Thanks for all of the help guys! I am getting very very excited to have gotten this far. Snow Leopard seems to be extremely solid - go UNIX!

-al

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66ghz

Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-UD5

RAM: 6x2GB OCZ

HDD: 2x 750GB Western Digital

GPU: ATI HD4870 1GB Saphire

I had the same issue with booting. Basically what I did was the following:

1. Create a hackintosh build with my MBPro (on Leopard) onto a USB drive.

2. Booted from the USB drive on the new desktop hack build.

3. Now I have a semi-working OS X after booting from the USB and currently running the hackintosh off of the USB. This allows me to see the HD that I have installed on the desktop.

4. Partitioned the HD on the desktop and re-created a full hackintosh install to that HD. (inserted the other USB drive I used to do the SL install iso image)

5. Shut-down, removed the USB drives and booted BIOS from the HD (now the HD is the only bootable drive)

6. Start the process of updating kexts, DSDT, etc

Hope that helps

Can anyone tell me if this guide can be used for installing on MSI X58M motherboard with core i7? So far I can't even boot into installation. I am getting kernel panic. I will try to post a picture later.

Thanks

PHX123

Hi All,

Not working for EX58A-UD5 :-( Really annoying as there seems lots of support for the normal EX58-UD5 and the EX58A-UD7. Never knew what a problem it would be getting this board. Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone advise me on a raid setup with this system, the ud5 (or ud4p in my case)? Does the onboard raid controller work, and if so how? I have two 250gb drives I'd like to put in a raid and install 10.6.3 on if possible, without spending much money on some expensive raid controller card. I want to do Raid 0. Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere already, I searched the site for posts on raid but I didn't find anything relevant.

Hi All,

Not working for EX58A-UD5 :-( Really annoying as there seems lots of support for the normal EX58-UD5 and the EX58A-UD7. Never knew what a problem it would be getting this board. Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks

What's not working? I can try to help but we need a bit more information! What steps have you done and where exactly are you having the problem?

Hello All,

I am trying to install 10.5.1 from my retail disk, for a project that requires Leopard. I have been running DD's Script v4.22 (since thats all I can get anymore) I have SL working on a single drive and also on a raid but when I run DD's script and then try to boot the Leo disk I get an instant reboot.

I've tried the busratio=20 but that didnt help. Im launching Leo from Chameleon 2 Rc4 could that be an issue?

Sorry if I'm reiterating a solved problem I haven't been able to read through the 150+ pages of the thread. Does anyone have any advice for me ? Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Hello All,

I am trying to install 10.5.1 from my retail disk, for a project that requires Leopard. I have been running DD's Script v4.22 (since thats all I can get anymore) I have SL working on a single drive and also on a raid but when I run DD's script and then try to boot the Leo disk I get an instant reboot.

I've tried the busratio=20 but that didnt help. Im launching Leo from Chameleon 2 Rc4 could that be an issue?

Sorry if I'm reiterating a solved problem I haven't been able to read through the 150+ pages of the thread. Does anyone have any advice for me ? Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Sidewinder33,

The Core i7 CPU isn't going to run the kernel from 10.5.1. It can only run 10.5.7 at minimum, as that's the system the Mac Pro were released with. Anything older will need a custom kernel, like Voodoo 9.6 with that busratio=20 flag. This info would probably had been in the older 10.5.8 thread. Oh, heh, this IS that older thread. LOL!

best of wishes,

MAJ

Sidewinder33,

The Core i7 CPU isn't going to run the kernel from 10.5.1. It can only run 10.5.7 at minimum, as that's the system the Mac Pro were released with. Anything older will need a custom kernel, like Voodoo 9.6 with that busratio=20 flag. This info would probably had been in the older 10.5.8 thread. Oh, heh, this IS that older thread. LOL!

best of wishes,

MAJ

Thank you for the quick reply MAJ, I only plan on having 10.5.1 till I can update, The combo updater isn't letting me update while I'm booted into SL. Does anyone know a way to update while not booted into the drive? For some reason the script isn't asking me if I'd like to update using the updater, do I need to put the combo package somewhere in particular? I'm finding how to boot the install dvd but I don't need the dvd I have 10.5.1 installed already just need to update to avoid all this shenanigans.

Sidewinder: I don't know if it would work but, try Tonymacx's [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to boot the machine and switch into the drive with 10.5.1 installed. It should continue to boot into that install. Once there, set the user, password, etc, then run the ComboUpdate. Pre load the 10.5 kexts in DDs script to those needed and you can install those after the Update completes.

On reboot you should be good to go!

Thanks for the reply everdone, I managed to get the updater to run using pacifist and telling it to install on a target disk.

Now Im getting a panic but not really. When I boot non verbose it panics and gives me the dimmed screen.

When I boot verbose this is where is stops, and if I'm reading it right it should actually be ready to boot, but it just stops and hangs there with no drive activity.

post-534937-1271097178_thumb.jpg

Any Ideas? Im using these kexts:

Disabler.kext

dsmos.kext

fakesmc.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

LegacyHDAController.kext

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext

LegacyJMicronATASATAIDE.kext

LegacyJMicronJMB36xSATA.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

RealtekR1000.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

UUID.kext

Problem is video. What is the video card and what are you using to try to get it to work?

If it is an nVidia card try GraphicsEnabled key in com.apple.boot.plist.

Im using a GTX 285 I have both a graphics card string and graphics enable in the boot.plist (graphics enabler never worked for me before so I added the device string, but left the graphics enabler Yes as a just in case)

Is it possible the Leopard just doesn't want to work with my card?

Im using a GTX 285 I have both a graphics card string and graphics enable in the boot.plist (graphics enabler never worked for me before so I added the device string, but left the graphics enabler Yes as a just in case)

When I was running Leopard, I installed the mac drivers for the evga GTX 285 and graphics worked 100%

You can find the pkg file for download on evga's site under support, drivers and select geForce 200 series...

Hope this helps

When I was running Leopard, I installed the mac drivers for the evga GTX 285 and graphics worked 100%

You can find the pkg file for download on evga's site under support, drivers and select geForce 200 series...

Hope this helps

Hmm It not letting me update (I have the latest drivers in Windows) not sure how they carry over here, but the installer package says no update needed, when I run the installer.

Having both EFI string and GraphicsEnabler active at the same time is not good - they tend to confilict - try one and then the other.

Alright well I got it booted up, Using just graphics enabler (it still doesn't like the efi string.) What I had to do was actually boot from the leopard disk. I am using my Time Machine disk to boot from into my raid. When I try booting into leopard from that using Chameleon 2 RC4 (AsereBLN_v1.1.9 as per CruiSAr's Guide) to boot and it works great with SL.

I installed the 285 drivers and was able to get everything squared away with an efi string, now its up and running, every now and then I hit a snag and the system locks up but this could be from the drive its on (an old little 2.5 that I had in an external enclosure.)

It looks like it will do everything I need it for, thank you all for your help MAJ, everdone and CruiSAr.

Jeff