[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

I don't know why I didn't try it before, but I removed the PCI USB card and it worked. I guess it was recognizing the USB card as a NIC? I don't know, but the point is, is that it works now. thanks a ton guys

If anyone cares, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815166001 that's the USB card I installed.

Sweet, now to try and upgrade to Snow Leopard on my second hdd.

On another note,I have another small problem, sometimes my video goes out, I get like pink lines and sometimes other colours. I'm using an nvidia 9800GTX+ 512MB and the NVkush.kext

usually it happens when video editing or using photoshop

post-102805-1252375628_thumb.jpg

I had the same problem with my evga 9800 GTX+ it has to do with power management. many people have the same issue. there is a link on the EVGA forum to flash the bios on the graphics card and fixed my issues. with the 9800 GTX+

here is the link http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100456...e=1&key=�

This corrected my problem my screen would display the same way after running graphic intensive apps if you are doing also.

BTW with this card and leopard or snow leopard you dont need NVKush.kext

all you need to do it generate the gfx string and add it to you com.apple.boot.plist

good luck

Let us know how you make out with that

Hi

first post on this great thread

I upgraded to 10.6 yesterday but I'm a little uncertain about a couple of things re

process for kexts on 10.6

I tried a few scripted methods but none worked for me and I got quite a few errors so

I did what I thought seemed right and it appears to work (The DD4 script kept giving

a weird error that my disks were not mounted when they were, eventually I couldn't

mount my EFI because of the bad block error - I fixed it eventually)

I installed 10.6 direct from retail DVD onto a clean partition, ran chameleon 2 rc2,

over layered with rc 3 boot and kexts, deleted a couple of the given kexts, updated

com.apple.Boot.plist then booted no probs on second boot (hung at JMicronATAInjector

on first boot which I deleted then rebooted). I just copied my DSDT file from my leopard

install

Other than that I haven't used kextcache or done anything to spotlight, no kernel panics

and everything seems very smooth (mouse works a lot better, windows very fast). Even

got java 6 running in 64 bit on Eclipse. IWork upgraded to 64 bit through software update etc.

Be careful with migration assistant though, thought it knackered my 10.6 install till I realised

it had copied across an /Extra folder full of old 10.5 kexts and this caused the boot to hang.

It was OK after I deleted them.

My EFI chameleon install allows me to boot both Leopard on disk0s3 and SL on disk1s2

but I only have the 1 set of 10.6 kexts on disk1s1.

So given that everything seems stable, should I risk running kextcache (given the warning

on the man pages). I haven't had any trouble from spotlight and I'm not a big fan of scripts

as I prefer to do config things manually till I understand what's happening (sorry!). Do I really

need to do something to spotlight before it kills me?

Has the process of adding kexts changed fundamentally in 10.6 that I can't manually patch in

future?

The only problems I'm having is not being able to access my airport time capsule (it is

working since I'm connected to it via ethernet) and also a funny that happens occasionally

when booting I get a boot config error which is new - just selects last running config, not sure

if its software or bios, I'll check next time I'm in the bios. (what is this cmos bug people mention?)

A couple of old games don't work (nohwid) - no hardware id? - seems to ref a mac address in plist,

connected to airport problem?

specs

EX58-UD5 original bios

12 GB Corsair DDR3

PowerColor HD 4870 1Gb (working)

1 TB WD Caviar (disk1) OS X 10.6

500 GB Seagate (disk0) OS X 10.5.8

regards

Steve

<SNIP>(The DD4 script kept giving

a weird error that my disks were not mounted when they were, eventually I couldn't

mount my EFI because of the bad block error - I fixed it eventually)

Sorry, there were issues. Do you have a RAID setup? or diacritical characters in the volume names?

How about posting for me the following in Terminal with code tags:

diskutil list

You can PM me, if you wish.

Other than that I haven't used kextcache or done anything to spotlight, no kernel panics

and everything seems very smooth (mouse works a lot better, windows very fast).

<snip>

So given that everything seems stable, should I risk running kextcache (given the warning

on the man pages). I haven't had any trouble from spotlight and I'm not a big fan of scripts

as I prefer to do config things manually till I understand what's happening (sorry!). Do I really

need to do something to spotlight before it kills me?

If your system is stable without you having to create a boot cache, then likely you have the /Extra/Extensions setup that doesn't need a boot cache for the bootloader. You're good to go.

The warnings are only for setups that require a boot cache, like /Extra/SOME_OTHER_NAME, where the bootloader must load a pre-paid cache built from the kext folder.

My EFI chameleon install allows me to boot both Leopard on disk0s3 and SL on disk1s2 but I only have the 1 set of 10.6 kexts on disk1s1.

You must have two separate EFI setups.

MAJ

Hi Maj

Here is my diskutil info as taken from SL (primary boot disk in bios)

no RAID but I did change the primary boot disk a couple of times in BIOS

- I can't boot disk 1 from bios primary disk 0, I can boot both disks if I set disk 2

to bios primary (my Leopard disk booting is messy - see later!)

happy to provide more info if requested

/dev/disk0
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*500.1 GB   disk0
  1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk0s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS BootXP				  939.5 MB   disk0s2
  3:				  Apple_HFS MacHD				   498.8 GB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*1.0 TB	 disk1
  1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk1s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS SnowLeopard			 999.9 GB   disk1s2

I started to go through the script and I found that replacing some of the env variables with explicit

references (eg SnowLeopard) alleviated some of the problems, in the end I got scuppered by the

"mount_hfs invalid argument" error, I ran fsck_hfs but that couldn't fix it. Complained that there

were bad blocks in EFI, can't recall exact number but 2 rings a bell. Tried reformat EFI but could only

do this from command line and only HFS+ Journaled worked, but it fixed things. No real harm done,

forced me to do a bit of a tidy up and some experimentation as I was playing with a clean empty disk

Thanks for the advice, I think if it's working I'll leave it alone for now - good to know - still running

fine! (running with 64 bit HPET in bios by the way)

I do a lot of Java development in Eclipse, one feature of the UUID 35 error was that

the string kept appearing in the Eclipse console everytime I launched a runtime in Leopard. This

was fixed by UUID.kext which I'm not running in SL. I don't get this message in SL but I'm

using Chameleon RC3 and have uuid set in boot.plist so not sure which fixes it. (never seemed to

do any harm on Leopard - just a cosmetic issue)

wrt the EFI booting...

Yes, I may have, the Leopard install was the result of several attempts to install 6 months ago.

I tried various bootloaders and once I got things working I stopped fiddling with things - going back

to look my early attempts seem very messy ;)

cheers

Steve

I was just on NewEgg's site and the GA-EX58-UD5 is no longer available. Micro Center has agreed to give me a refund, after 4 months. I was going to order a UD5 from NewEgg. Has our MB been discontinued? Is there a new bigger and better MB that uses all my other parts? Do I need to look at a different brand of MB? Inquiring minds want to know.

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5, Diamond 4890 XOC 1Gig, 6Gig OCZ 1600 DDR3, Antec TruePower Trio 650W, 1.5TB Windows 7, 1.5TB 10.5.8, 300GB Snow, DD 4.0.

No sound but otherwise rock solid. I installed Final Cut Studio 2009, Logic, iLife 09, iWork 09. All running good. So I decide to hook up my main Mac, QuickSilver, in target disk mode and as soon as I push the Firewire cable into the Firewire connector, on the back of the UD5 motherboard, it shuts down.

I hit the reset, no joy. I hit the power switch, no joy. I turned off the main switch, on the power supply, and back on then hit the power switch. The 2 7 segment debug LEDs flashed and a couple of the LEDs, by the ATX power connector come on and the fans kick, but that's all. Not even a half second. I unplugged, pulled the battery, shorted the CMOS pins, pushed the CMOS switch, plugged in, replaced the battery, tried to boot and no joy. I pulled the video card and tried all the above again, just to take a load off the power supply and no joy. I've tried a different PSU and no joy. Any body got any ideas?

I had the same problem with my evga 9800 GTX+ it has to do with power management. many people have the same issue. there is a link on the EVGA forum to flash the bios on the graphics card and fixed my issues. with the 9800 GTX+

here is the link http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100456...e=1&key=�

This corrected my problem my screen would display the same way after running graphic intensive apps if you are doing also.

BTW with this card and leopard or snow leopard you dont need NVKush.kext

all you need to do it generate the gfx string and add it to you com.apple.boot.plist

good luck

Let us know how you make out with that

That post was pretty old. Later on in that thread they said you do not need to flash the bios anymore, just get the upgrade from EVGA's site. I'm wondering if the flash is still necessary in OS X.

The new Snow Leopard on the UD5 topic has finally been posted.

Plus the new Intel LGA-1156 socket boards with the P55 chipset are out with the new Core i5/i7 CPUs. Not nearly as fast as our 920s, but the best bang/buck yet, as you can see from the prices. Plus power consumption is down to 95W TDP (from 130W TDP).

Anybody going to blaze the trail and see if they work in OS X? :wacko:

I bet Apple will be using these in the iMacs before long.

regards,

MAJ

Ya, I noticed that they were back up latter last night. They just must have been out of stock for awhile.

Since I'm going to be getting a new MB, should I stick with the UD5 or go to the Extreme or even a different brand. I liked the UD5 except for the weak Firewire port and it only being 400. As long as Firewire 800 has been out, Gigabyte should have been using it on their flagship MBs. Is New Egg the best place to buy?

Hi all

SInce I updated to 10.5.7 all works ok out of the box with the installer instructions...

APART from: Quartz Extreme.

So any suggestions on how to get it working?

The card is a Asus EN9500GT.

I've read the big old thread on that card as well, but when I follow the instructions using OSX86Tools I can't write to the apple.com.boot.plist

It results in a Apple Script error

/bin/sh: /Volumes/OS: No such file or directory (127)

Anyone have any idea of where to go from here?

Anyone tried 10.6.1 yet? My install of SL resulted in decreased performance from Leopard, so I'm hoping on a whim that this could fix it, but don't want to risk killing my installation if the update is incompatible.

I've got the same MB and haven't noticed a drop in performance. Upgraded to 10.6.1 with no hassles at all. At it's minute size, I doubt if the update we accomplish any more than what it suggests on the Apple website.

That post was pretty old. Later on in that thread they said you do not need to flash the bios anymore, just get the upgrade from EVGA's site. I'm wondering if the flash is still necessary in OS X.

When they say upgraded drivers from EVGA site they only have windows drivers for this card

so for our issue only option is to flash , I could be wrong but this is what I see.

Thanks

wrong card good try we are talking about the 9800 GTX+

it happens to be that the post you are referring to in relation to the person seeing drivers on the evga website is talking about a different card then yours.

The 9800 card can be working in no time with graphicsenabler for chameleon rc3. Or EFI strings. NO other option.

it happens to be that the post you are referring to in relation to the person seeing drivers on the evga website is talking about a different card then yours.

The 9800 card can be working in no time with graphicsenabler for chameleon rc3. Or EFI strings. NO other option.

read the post carefully getting the card to work is not the issue people. the issue is the random pink and purple lines and graphics crash he even provided the screen picture.

I know you can get this card to work without efi string

Regarding the 9800 gtx:

I did a fresh install with Snow Leopard using DD's script from the new thread and have not had those errors since. I had my screensaver going for a while and other things and those random lines have not come back.

Regarding the 9800 gtx:

I did a fresh install with Snow Leopard using DD's script from the new thread and have not had those errors since. I had my screensaver going for a while and other things and those random lines have not come back.

good happy to see it worked out for you

Hey DD, How did you manage to get your ethernet adapters to come up as en0 and en1, mine come up as en2 and en3.

I also have a EX58-UD5, and it is crucial for me to have one of them come up as en0 so I can use Final Cut Pro.

Suggestions?

That's odd. I wonder what's taking up 0 and 1?

You can try to open NetworkInterfaces.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration in a text editor and see what's taking up those two ports (Quicklook). It'll be under the "BSD Name" string. You could change them manually and see if it works.

If that doesn't do it, try deleting the NetworkInterfaces.plist and reboot. Hopefully, they'll reconfigure, starting at 0. You'll need to set up the Network prefs, again, however.

regards,

MAJ

That's odd. I wonder what's taking up 0 and 1?

You can try to open NetworkInterfaces.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration in a text editor and see what's taking up those two ports (Quicklook). It'll be under the "BSD Name" string. You could change them manually and see if it works.

If that doesn't do it, try deleting the NetworkInterfaces.plist and reboot. Hopefully, they'll reconfigure, starting at 0. You'll need to set up the Network prefs, again, however.

regards,

MAJ

Yeh I don't know why its doing it. When you install yours does it automatically set it to en0 and en1? I managed to work around it, I didn't try what you suggested cause I got it working. Kinda. In NetworkInterface.plist I change en3 (one of the ethernet ports) to en0 and left the other ethernet port (which is the only one with an ethernet cable in it) set to en2. So the en0 tricks final cut, and my en2 gives me a connections. I tried change both to en0 and en1 but then my network just didn't work at all. Was such a pain. But its ok now I can live with it as it is.

Now I'm facing a new problem. When I upgrade to 10.5.8, it works fine, until a install the HDA kexts. I get a kernel panic. Seems like the 10.5.8 update doesn't like the kexts. It works fine when i load them in 10.5.7.

Any ideas why?

Cheers