PowerManagement (with ACPI Support) Software Release

keithpk

437 posts in this topic

Sorry guys is this is very basic, but I read the entire thread and I want to know:

Is this "fix" already included in the final Jas 10.4.8 DVD? Or I have to include the files on this thread to be complete?

I installed the DVD version on my AMD laptop and I get the battery indicator with all the options for time or percent, but If I run on batteries, it shows that it drops down very fast!

If I boot in windows the batttery drops much much slower.

Is this normal?

Ric

yes

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get the battery indicator out of the box like you did, even though I isntalled the Jas 10.4.8, but i have intel.. anyhow I used this bundle to get the indicator..

now i have it, but i have the same problem as you do, on batteries it shows the power to drop very fast, and i think its a flaw coz in reality it is not dropping that fast (you can check using the battery indicator under the laptop, that one shows normal drop), so basically this indicator is just for show, it is decieving i think.

Please let me know if anyone has any input on this.

Sorry guys is this is very basic, but I read the entire thread and I want to know:

Is this "fix" already included in the final Jas 10.4.8 DVD? Or I have to include the files on this thread to be complete?

I installed the DVD version on my AMD laptop and I get the battery indicator with all the options for time or percent, but If I run on batteries, it shows that it drops down very fast!

If I boot in windows the batttery drops much much slower.

Is this normal?

Ric

Hi all,

my first post and first native os x. I'm running it on an Samsung Q35 (Centrino Duo).

The first osx I used has been the 10.4.4 on the machine and the indicator in the menubar worked well. Now, with 10.4.6, the indicator doesn't load up - even if invoked manually.

The biggest thing I noticed was that the miniStat2 widget CAN read out the battery percentage although not able to calculate time remaining.

Can someone please verify this?

Thanks

Sascha

Not sure what I am doing wrong but I can not make PowerManagement bundle work on 10.4.8 JAS installed on HP NC0230. Has any of similar NX/NW/NC HP laptops owners this patch working in 10.4.8? Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

after updateting to 10.4.9 the my battery is not recognized any longer and the battery indicator disapeared.

Can s.o. validate this, or did i miss sth to restore after the update.

Edited by jexxer

after updateting to 10.4.9 the my battery is not recognized any longer and the battery indicator disapeared.

Can s.o. validate this, or did i miss sth to restore after the update.

Yeah, It's broken for me also.

THANK YOU!!!

This worked like a charm on my ACER Travelmate! :rolleyes:

Got battery monitor back, got sound, CD burning, PS/2 trackpad and mouse! All I need is wireless and I'll have a $500 Macbook!

Mac OS 10.4.5 (Jas DVD)

Acer TravelMate 2480

Intel Celeron 1.6GHz (sse2 patch)

RealTek Audio (Patched)

PS/2 keyboard and trackpad (patched)

Intel 950 graphics (1280 x800, no patch needed)

TSST corp CDRW/DVD-Rom (Burning, no patch needed)

no Wi-Fi / no ethernet :(

weird weird ,I got same problema as above , 10.4.8 new installed and no battery even with Powermanagement , on the same laptop ,with the same 10.4.8 all were working well..and the most weird thing has been the battery was working during installation....????

I too had problems with the Power management bundle after upgrading to 10.4.9...But I fixed it by downloading and installing SlimBateryMonitor....Here is the Link: http://www.orange-carb.org/SBM/downloads.html ...I will not garentee it will work out for you but my guess is that mine just needed a kick start..... Hope this helps someone.... :(

Phil

Cool, I just installed the Power management bundle for my laptop along with SlimBatteryMonitor and I now have accurate battery usage measurement/readings. Thanks for pointing to this free download.

Blog

Gateway MX3701

Intel Core duo T2050 (1.6 Ghz) Both cores working

1 Gig DDR2 533 ram

ATI X200m video (grrr)

SigmaTel 9200 (not working)

Logitech V20 USB speakers (working)

Yukon 80038 Wan Ethernet (working)

Wireless (not working...yet)

Power management (working great)

Worked for me but the instructions on the first thread are incomplete. Jas 10.4.8 SSE2 Dell Centrino Laptop.

Here is what I did to get mine working properly

1. Download the PowerManagement.tar.gz file below to your favorite location

2. Un-archive the files. This will leave you with a PowerManagement.bundle

3. Navigate to: /System/Library/SystemConfiguration

4. (Optional) Backup your old PowerManagement.bundle - copy file to another folder

5. Right click old powermanagement.bundle and select move to trash

6. Copy (drag-n-drop) the new bundle into the SystemConfiguration folder

7. Run " sudo diskutil repairPermissions " from the terminal

8. Reboot

I have found a bug. On my laptop when I have a single battery installed this application works fine. When I have two batteries installed it shows two battery icons with an AC plug logo when I am not plugged in. It thinks the one battery is charging the other and shows a timer displaying how long until the system is fully charged! Very strange but at least the percentage readout seems accurate.

Any ideas why this was working on the JaS 10.4.8 SSE2 8.4.1 kernel, when it isn't working with a re-install on JaS 10.4.8 SSE 2 with the 8.8.1 kernel?

The thing that's annoying is the permissions.. "su" just gives me a "su: sorry" error, and i can't just copy any paste.... At the same time, i can't "Enable Root User" on NetINFO Manager...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I installed PowerManagement.bundle but still does not work.

I doesn't even hava a /var/log/PM.log it doesn't exist.

See my specs on signature.

Attached find ioreg -w 0 -c AppleACPIBattery dump, and this is what i have in System Profiler:

System Power Settings:

AC Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Sleep On Power Button: Yes

Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No

Battery Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 180

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2

Sleep On Power Button: No

Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No

Anyone can help? (HEEEEEELP)

Tx

ioregdump.txt

• 2 weeks later...

I just stumbled across something interersting: I restored an old backup of mine (10.4.8 with different 8.8.1 kernels) to my USB partition, and suddenly the battery meter is working (indicating correctly), even showing that the power is getting less while the Laptop is running, no matter with which 8.8.1 kernel. With this older install I had the disadavantage that the mouse movements were kind of ragged or jerky. So, logged in as root, I renamed the folder Extensions to Extension_mouse_dragging, copied the Extensions folder from my main drive to my USB and repaired permissions etc. After booting, the battery meter is now displaying the usual 0% I have grown used to, but as expected the mouse dragging is gone.

So it must be a certain Extension (or several Extensions) that mess up our battery meters. Has anybody been able to figure out in the meantime which XT(s) that is (are)? Does anybody have any idea which XTs might be the culptit(s)?

Bugs.

[EDIT]: AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext is was present in the XTs folder with mouse dragging. After removing it the mouse dragging was gone, and the battery meter remains functioning :) So I will take this XTs folder as a basis from now on.

I still would like to know which kext(s) keep the battery meter from working ..

works for me, acer aspire 5562. Battery shows percentage charged, time left to full charge on icon. but i am still not seeing the details of the battery in system profiler.

Another point to note is that when i shut down the PC, removed the battery, the power source shows as batteries, and until i plug in the battery and remove it again, it will then show power adapter. =)