PowerManagement (with ACPI Support) Software Release

keithpk

437 posts in this topic

But it work on 10.4.6 with sse2...

That is 8.4.1 kernel and the kext was probably compiled on that kernel, with new 8.8.1 kernel there may be parameters that need to be changed. From reading the thread and from my own laptop, it doesn't seem to be a problem with SSE3 and I use that kext in leopard and 4.9 with 8.1 kernel, so I know its not a 4.8 problem :)

Edited by joe75

Hmm...odd. When I try to move the powermanagement.bundle, I pressed authenticate, entered my password, yet still told me I did not have sufficient priviliges to do such a thing...any suggestions?

send the existing to the trash, it will ask for authenticate.

then place the new one and repair permissions, it's a little odd, it seems we can't overwrite directly.

Yes I would also like to know how you did it! A detailed How to would be exellent, since I also have a sse2 and uptil now only had kernel panic when trying...

It is really strange at first my notebooks fan is nice and quiet and all of a sudden (without any big operations going on) the fan goes crazy.... under 10.4.7 this was not the case...

Yes I would also like to know how you did it! A detailed How to would be exellent, since I also have a sse2 and uptil now only had kernel panic when trying...

It is really strange at first my notebooks fan is nice and quiet and all of a sudden (without any big operations going on) the fan goes crazy.... under 10.4.7 this was not the case...

Weird. Apparently it's been working for me. I can read my battery level, though in settings it will tell me things like it's at 125% (tho reads 100% on the top menu). My fan goes on and off regularly as it did in XP (ie: heats up a little, fan turn on quietly, cools off, fan disables). This didn't solve any problems with sleep or safe sleep (both still lock up, or never return the screen.. whatever happens I have to reboot). But it did solve the battery level thing. I haven't run on batteries yet, tho the wireless 2200 drivers appear to be "workable" now so if that's true I'll be testing out the battery soon too. ;)

Don't remember doing anything special aside from following the "install isntructions" which I think was nothing more than copying some files and checking permissions....?

Hey guys here is the detailed tutorial I followed, I wrote it couple of months ago so that I would not forget on how to do it and the only different thing I did this time is download the newest version of PowerManagement bundle. But instructions are all the same, just get the new file from the beginning of this forum, follow my instruction and hopefully it will also work on my computer and good as it is working right now on mine. Any questions let me know here and I am more than willing to try to help.

Does anyone know where to find that IOSMBusController.h ? I'm willing to have another go at hacking something for my HP nc6000 because it appears only something trivial is going wrong:

a) battery is only recognized after re-inserting it

:laser: charge is 99% until the last few minutes, then it suddenly drops very quickly, from looking at the charge reported it appears that the battery just uses a different scale to report it's charge (sorry, don't know the details right now - last time I looked at it was months ago)

• 2 weeks later...

Can somebody please tell me why the battery percentage is not indicated in my 8.8.1 system, always showing 0%? The %age is displayed correcty in my 10.4.8 install with 8.4.1 Maxxuss kernel, so obviously I know how to install it (same kext from page 1 in both installs ) ..

Must be some 10.4.8 kext(s), right? 'Cause that's pretty much the only modules which differ from .4 to .8 kernel sys from what I know !?

Edited by BugsBunny

Has anyone noticed that the fan is very loud and active, unless you boot Windows first and then do a "warm" restart? Seems like some ACPI registers need to be initialized, which Windows apparently does and which is persistent even through a "warm" reboot. Reproducable.

Any chances to port this kind of functionality (http://gaugusch.at/kernel.shtml) in OSX?

I mean just loading DSDT and "overwriting" the one from BIOS/firmware/whatever. I think that could solve some problems people are experiencing with their hardware.

For my Toshiba laptop with this patch I am able to use most of hardware still being able to use acpi functions.

Cheers,

mentorek

Edited by mentorek

Weird situation. Reinstalled MacOS on my Acer 5672WLMi from JaS 10.4.8 Intel.AMD.SSE2.SSE3 and PowerManagement.bundle doesn't work :pirate2:

Seems to be the syetems doesn't detect that it's laptop (at the beginning installer said that I'm trying to install MacOS without AC power). What should I fix to get PowerManagement working?

Hey, guys.

You know, this is all good and great, but i've got something to ask:

Has anyone noticed the battery life under this kex is MUCH shorter than in windows?

Could someone elaborate, please(with solutions if possible).

computer: HP TC4200, SpeedStep disabled in bios.

Thank you.

Has anyone noticed the battery life under this kex is MUCH shorter than in windows?

Could someone elaborate, please(with solutions if possible).

Under Windows, the processor is throttled down in order to save energy.

This kext doesn't do that, it "just" shows the battery in the menu bar, but does no actual power saving, as far as I understand it. The current kernel lacks the required functionality.

Edited by probono

Weird situation. Reinstalled MacOS on my Acer 5672WLMi from JaS 10.4.8 Intel.AMD.SSE2.SSE3 and PowerManagement.bundle doesn't work :thumbsup_anim:

Seems to be the syetems doesn't detect that it's laptop (at the beginning installer said that I'm trying to install MacOS without AC power).

Exactly the same thing here. Did you ever have the Tray-Icon working correctyl with a 8.8.1 (10.4.8) kernel install (I didn't, just with 10.4.4 kernel). If so, with which?

Cheers,

Bugs

Exactly the same thing here. Did you ever have the Tray-Icon working correctyl with a 8.8.1 (10.4.8) kernel install (I didn't, just with 10.4.4 kernel). If so, with which?

Cheers,

Bugs

Yes I did. It worked properly in the previous installation. I have backup of this version. It is Jas Install DVD Intel only (no PPF1).

since upgrading to 10.4.8 with the 8.8.1 kernel my laptop loses the picture when the lid is closed and reopened (it doesnt sleep) and when the sleep function is selected it goes to sleep but doesnt wake to allow access to the screen/computer.

was ok under 10.4.8 without newer kernel. i tried replacing the poewrmanagement.bundle but while that restores the battery icon/life remaining thing, sleep control don't know.

any ideas please? thanks.

Sorry guys is this is very basic, but I read the entire thread and I want to know:

Is this "fix" already included in the final Jas 10.4.8 DVD? Or I have to include the files on this thread to be complete?

I installed the DVD version on my AMD laptop and I get the battery indicator with all the options for time or percent, but If I run on batteries, it shows that it drops down very fast!

If I boot in windows the batttery drops much much slower.

Is this normal?

Ric