[How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7)

M J

925 posts in this topic

Well, I tried the guide written by smegoid -- Unfortuneately, even though we use the same motherboard (Asus P6T Deluxe v2), I still have problems.

1) I cannot get that DSDT patch to work -- I still show 1 processor + 4 cores in System Profiler.

2) My system RAM is being reported incorrectly -- I am using DDR3 at 1066, but it is being reported as DDR2 at 667 in System Profiler.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the trouble might be?

Well, I tried the guide written by smegoid -- Unfortuneately, even though we use the same motherboard (Asus P6T Deluxe v2), I still have problems.

1) I cannot get that DSDT patch to work -- I still show 1 processor + 4 cores in System Profiler.

2) My system RAM is being reported incorrectly -- I am using DDR3 at 1066, but it is being reported as DDR2 at 667 in System Profiler.

Install iStats iSlayer iStats and you may see

that 8 cores is running.

Good luck;)

//Maxpop

Hello!

I have installed with success Leo on my mobo.

I'm interested to use the program described in this page.Pacher.

But I have tried on 2 different computers without success.

Someone fine well using it for the P6T?

Or in alternative you are resolutions to directly add to the improvements for Time machine in your DSDT?

thx

Fabio

I'm trying to get a successful retail install for over a few months now. This board has been very helpful so far and I already had some installations. It's just not working very well though.

I have a Asus P6T-SE, which is different from the P6T Deluxe at several points, but the guide(s) in this thread seems to have helped other P6T-SE users.

Yesterday, I came across this new guide by Smegoid (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1200312) which looks really good (Thanks for making such a user friendly and clear guide!!).

I followed this guide but used another boot132 disk, which should be working for the P6T-SE (http://www.mediafire.com/file/gdgm1zuum4m/ASUS).

The installation process went exactly like it should, according to the guide; I could boot into OSX. When I tried to update to 10.5.6 it went wrong...

I installed the update and booted twice. On the second boot, I got a scrambled screen and my PC got stuck (see the photo in attachment).

I then tried to boot into safe mode (-x), which worked. In "about this mac", it showed that my version of leopard was now 10.5.6, so the update seemed to have worked, but I still can't boot normally. Also, while in safe mode, Leopard crashes at some point, after about 10 minutes.

Some specs:

- Asus P6T-SE (BIOS Version 0403)

- Intel i7 920

- 6GB DDR3 Kingston

- ATI Radeon HD3650

- LG SATA DVD-drive GH22NS30

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

P.S. In an earlier attempt I followed MJ's guide with another boot132 iso with the mach_kernel.modbin. I had a succesful install (didn't update yet though...), but when I tried to patch the DSDT, it didn't seem to work. The patching process seemed to work fine, but when I enabled more cores, it didn't boot. Any ideas on this perhaps?

Thank you in advance; hope someone can help me out!

post-434563-1249891209_thumb.jpg

Hey,

It doesn't look like you're actually having any trouble at all.

1) The intel i7 only has 4 real cores (+4 for HT) the system profiler shows your real cores but if you enable the cpu usage in activity monitor you'll see all 8 cores lighting up.

2) Unfortunately OSX doesn't support 1600 but should support your 1066. Not sure why it's being reported as 667 but for what it's worth, so's my ram. So we're kind of screwed there.

see this topic:

e.g. : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1202533

I was able to get 10.5.7 working on my Asus Rampage II Extreme Core i7 920 system with some help for your guide.

You're right, much of it is outdated and a 10.5.7 Core i7 guide would be useful to a lot of people. I suppose I could write one and host up some files. The thing that bothers me though is that everyone wants to know exactly what to type, but they don't want to know why they have to type it. I don't know if I want to get into the business of spoon feeding a step by step guide to people who don't want to learn.

That issue aside, here is a basic overview of what I've done. If anyone has successfully installed with your guide should be able to follow this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

That's about it. I could go more in depth if necessary, or create a new thread I suppose with more detailed information. I learned a lot of things along the way that people might find useful. It's probably a good idea to get it documented before I forget it all.

Dan

Hello Dan!

Firstly I have to say THANK YOU! (as many others here) for your quick and explicit guide! :rolleyes:

I had HARD TIMES find it trough all the threads and post around here!

Secondly I would like to know if you have had time to complete your full guide and if yes, where this can be found! If you did not finish it, then I will gladly help you with whatever I can, as long as I have exactly the same MB and MP as you: Asus Rampage II Extreme and i7 920!

I am one of those that really want to know what is doing and for what results, so I think you have found your follower/inquirer :) )

I also started a new thread named Asus Rampage II Extreme (i7+X58): Questions, answers and sollutions to Retail install! ! Please come by and leave a thought and let's try to build that guide, full proof, picture illustrated, and ready for Snow Leo!

Thanks again,

Felix

Many thanks SmeGoid, followed your guide along with the YouTube video's and MJ's instructions.

Have a fully updated 10.5.7 vanilla OSX install on my Asus P6T V2. Working a treat with all functions working including sleep, sound, lan etc. Only thing I have to fix is my GTX 285 showing up with only 640mb of ram, but will soon get that sorted.

However had a few issues when trying to upgrade to 10.5.8. Installed smoothly and fixed the Lan (as per the norm) etc. Sleep however is a different matter, when I put the system to sleep it didn't go into deep sleep, fans and lights remained on. When trying to recover the system it wouldn't even boot even safe mode. Tried various methods suggested in other posts, e.g booting in -s mode and using the filesystem repair but ended up having to reinstall. Thank god I'd taken a back up image of the system as it was at 10.5.7. I know there are a few patches to fix the sleep issue posted on Insanelymac to be honest haven't tried them (yet) but was frustrated I couldn't recover the system from a simple enough sleep state.

Anyhow, just something to keep in mind if anyone is installing/upgrading to 10.5.8.

Good luck guys and thanks again for the guide. !!

P.s. The guide has also helped another P6T user who wanted to install OSX so thanks from the both of us.

Hello Dan!

Firstly I have to say THANK YOU! (as many others here) for your quick and explicit guide! ;)

I had HARD TIMES find it trough all the threads and post around here!

Secondly I would like to know if you have had time to complete your full guide and if yes, where this can be found! If you did not finish it, then I will gladly help you with whatever I can, as long as I have exactly the same MB and MP as you: Asus Rampage II Extreme and i7 920!

I am one of those that really want to know what is doing and for what results, so I think you have found your follower/inquirer :( )

I also started a new thread named Asus Rampage II Extreme (i7+X58): Questions, answers and sollutions to Retail install! ! Please come by and leave a thought and let's try to build that guide, full proof, picture illustrated, and ready for Snow Leo!

Thanks again,

Felix

Wow, I'm really amazed at how many people got some good use out of my work. I'm glad you guys had success getting your systems up and running. It took me several days of banging on the Rampage II Extreme to get everything working. I have a long background in doing this kind of thing, I can see how it would be nearly impossible for the casual user to do it without some form of reference.

I haven't been on this forum in a while, but today I upgraded to 10.5.8 and have everything working again. It only took me about 10-15 minutes to get audio and ethernet working again in 10.5.8 so no one should be too afraid of upgrading.

It looks like I had better follow through with my promise and start a new thread (or append to yours) with a thorough guide of setting up 10.5.8 on the Rampage II Extreme. I've been traveling a lot for work lately but am back home for the rest of this week. I should have some time to get something up relatively soon.

Cheers,

Dan

Wow, I'm really amazed at how many people got some good use out of my work. I'm glad you guys had success getting your systems up and running. It took me several days of banging on the Rampage II Extreme to get everything working. I have a long background in doing this kind of thing, I can see how it would be nearly impossible for the casual user to do it without some form of reference.

I haven't been on this forum in a while, but today I upgraded to 10.5.8 and have everything working again. It only took me about 10-15 minutes to get audio and ethernet working again in 10.5.8 so no one should be too afraid of upgrading.

It looks like I had better follow through with my promise and start a new thread (or append to yours) with a thorough guide of setting up 10.5.8 on the Rampage II Extreme. I've been traveling a lot for work lately but am back home for the rest of this week. I should have some time to get something up relatively soon.

Cheers,

Dan

See the post #3 in our thread!

Thanks!

Felix

Thank-you so much for this topic. I am a mac user programmer, advocate, Legitimate. But I want to render on a network, and the i7 is the best processor. I don't want to have to have a Mac Pro pouring heat into my house. I could buy two i7 servers for the cost of one Mac Pro.

Regards

alan

Hi guys, if anyboby managed to install OSX on p6t ws pro from orig retail 10.5.4? killed 4 weekends to try. Did evereything as advised here. Always stuck @ line: display... matching fails (more than 4 hrs). Tried various bios version (current 0711) and settings besides, switched GTX295 to GTX9800 back and forth: same line was my destiny. Ready to kill next weekends just to crack that nut down. Any ideas how to pass display line? (system spec in signature, HDD & DVD SATA, AHCI mode).

Thanks in advance.

p.s. before was successful with p5q pro with GTX9800

Yeah, I've installed it using a retail dmg that I put onto a USB stick, installed a bootloader on, and put in my custom kexts to install.

Then I used an already-working install of OS X to add a bootloader to the snow leo install, as well as custom kexts.

Actually, using this guide here:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=464

pretty much describes how I did it.

Honestly, it was a huge pain in the arse, and I'd wait until the next release of Chameleon bootloader that supports creating and/or booting without a proper mkext.

Hey guys, first post on this forum!! ive got my parts coming together for my i7 machine with my asus p6t deluxe v2. i've been reading, researching and reading about how to get leopord 10.5.6 retail on my pc. i think i've got a lot of the files i need but i cant seem to find the boot 132 iso i need for my MB. i tried downloading the one for this tutorial but it wont give me the option from the website its on.

any suggestions?

PS- just to make sure, what other files/patches/programs etc do i need to get up and running?

thanks a ton really appreciate it

Yeah, I've installed it using a retail dmg that I put onto a USB stick, installed a bootloader on, and put in my custom kexts to install.

Then I used an already-working install of OS X to add a bootloader to the snow leo install, as well as custom kexts.

Actually, using this guide here:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=464

pretty much describes how I did it.

Honestly, it was a huge pain in the arse, and I'd wait until the next release of Chameleon bootloader that supports creating and/or booting without a proper mkext.

Hi Dojomann,

Been following your other post on the Snow Leopard section with your experiences. Congrats on getting the thing to work, but as you say a lot of work required. Fingers crossed next version of Chameleon doesn't take too long :D

Thanks again for your info posted on the boards, very handy for us P6T owners club <Thumbs Up>

so, how bout that boot 132 disc?! like i said i tried to download from that site and even became a free member and it still wouldn't let me. do i have to pay the $6 to become a premium member to be able to download or can someone post/send me a zip of it?

Hi Dojomann,

Been following your other post on the Snow Leopard section with your experiences. Congrats on getting the thing to work, but as you say a lot of work required. Fingers crossed next version of Chameleon doesn't take too long :|

Thanks again for your info posted on the boards, very handy for us P6T owners club <Thumbs Up>

Haha thanks :)

Honestly, at this point if you have a working Leopard install, just wait it out a little bit more for a proper bootloader that isn't old as all heck (modified pc_efi v9 that's used to create mkexts) or causes kernel panics when anything is out of whack (current chameleon 2 rc2). Then, take a retail disk, make a dmg, "burn" it to a USB stick, and install said future bootloader onto the usb stick and throw all your necessary extensions and custom plists so that the usb stick boots normally to install.

That's really the key.

A bit offtopic but I think we need a stand-alone installer for chameleon. Something that we could custom package and put on a usb thumb drive other otherwise.

For example, let's say you just installed a vanilla snow leopard install onto a partition. Wouldn't it be great if you could just round up all necessary kexts, plists, etc. Set them up just the way you like, and make a very small bootloader-installer disk or usb stick.

Boot with that, and go through a simple installer which allows you to install the bootloader onto that same partition, and boom, your first boot ever into that operating system is PERFECT.

Isn't there some way we can make this? Much like a supergrub install cd or something...

Come to think of it, if we could make that and a sort of boot-132 loader combo disk maker thing, that'd be perfect for retail installs. No need whatsoever to use pre-patched distributions.

I dunno, I kinda went of on a TL;DR rant there... Dunno if you guys catch my drift but it makes sense to me.

i got SL running with Core i7 920 and Asus P6T Deluxe V2.

Everything rock...no kps at all...More solid the leopard ever was for me.

Sleep is working.

Cant restart or shutdown get, even if OpenHaltRestart.kext is used.

Sound, graphic card working...using GFX string.

really only have one prob..and that is:

When im trying to read the content of a NON system drive the drive is halted (waiting to read)

but if i start Safari or Calendar the drive is unhalted and read the content of the drive..

Can read or copy from no system drives if system drive is occupied reading anything.

hope for a solution soon.

The system drive work perfect...

Hi Passw,

could you provide the guide you followed and maybe post your /E/E files?

Have SL up and running, still no success with audio and ethernet, though.

Sleep is working.

Cant restart or shutdown get, even if OpenHaltRestart.kext is used.

Sound, graphic card working...using GFX string.

really only have one prob..and that is:

When im trying to read the content of a NON system drive the drive is halted (waiting to read)

but if i start Safari or Calendar the drive is unhalted and read the content of the drive..

Can read or copy from no system drives if system drive is occupied reading anything.

hope for a solution soon.

The system drive work perfect...

Hi passw,

I'm at it again, making myself crazy trying to upgrade from 10.5.8 to snow leopard.

Can you tell me what guide you used or point me to it. (I've Googled to no avail)

Thanks

Hi passw,

I'm at it again, making myself crazy trying to upgrade from 10.5.8 to snow leopard.

Can you tell me what guide you used or point me to it. (I've Googled to no avail)

Thanks

Yeah, I'd love to see a how-to for upgrading to SL

doh!! i should have read his post....i just used what other posted before.

"second ata controller (sata ports 5 and 6) doesnt work in this release." i gotta move my drives around and try.

*Update moved snow leopard HD to #4 and boots up no problem in 32bit, but got a KP while surfing.

Does AHCI not work w/ P6T + SL?