[How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7)

M J

925 posts in this topic

Oh plz I would be more than happy.

It's really a really long video, is there a particular part of the install that seems daunting?

I also invented a method to make the command line entry less error prone. I used a text file with the guides and all commands tailored to fit my HDD location and CPU type. I would just copy and paste the syntax into the terminal. It was like I was a human batch file. The whole experience made me thing this could be made into some kind of script but I don't have any clue how to do that.

Anyway, I can edit the video into sections but I don't really know off the top of my head just how to break it up.

Make an outline of what you want to see and I'll see what I can do to follow it.

I think Pre and Post install is what really matters, I can't get it to install from the retail cd.

OK, I will put together a clip that goes through BIOS and up to installation of the OSX disk. Let me ask if you have the boot132 CD happening already? That wasn't a problem for me, I just burned the iso and it worked. I can't remember if I did that with my macbook pro or windows 7. It was a non issue.

I will be working on this later tonight so it check in the morning.

OK, I will put together a clip that goes through BIOS and up to installation of the OSX disk. Let me ask if you have the boot132 CD happening already? That wasn't a problem for me, I just burned the iso and it worked. I can't remember if I did that with my macbook pro or windows 7. It was a non issue.

I will be working on this later tonight so it check in the morning.

I tried the boot disc attached to the first post but that for some reason was not working well for me. I got a missing linux something or the other error message. I found another one that worked for me some where in the middle of this thread. That got me through to past that error but I would get stuck at "waiting for root device" error. I coudln't go anywhere from there. btw I burned that boot132 on both my windows 7 machine and my macbook and both gave me that error.

Again thank you for taking the time to reply to my posts.

I tried the boot disc attached to the first post but that for some reason was not working well for me. I got a missing linux something or the other error message. I found another one that worked for me some where in the middle of this thread. That got me through to past that error but I would get stuck at "waiting for root device" error. I coudln't go anywhere from there. btw I burned that boot132 on both my windows 7 machine and my macbook and both gave me that error.

Part 1 is uploading slowly. I will post the link in the late morning pacific time. I started later than expected. I cover BIOS to first OSX GUI. You must have a good slimboot cd.

Here is the link to part 1:

I've never made this kind of video before so I have no idea if it's helpful. There is no sound, just picture. Let me know if you need clarification and I will try to help.

can you post a link to which boot132 cd worked for you. I am still having a problem with mine.

awesome user name btw :censored2:

I used the one linked in the first post. What I don't remember was what I used to burn it. I have a macbook pro running 10.4 that I might have used but it could have been win7. It worked the first time.

Actually I think having the 10.5.6 dvd is preferable. You have two options that I can see;

A) Rebuild the slimboot disc without the seatbelt.kext mod.

B) Extract the 10.5.7 combo updater .pkg with another computer/windows and put it on a USB thumb drive or burn it to a CD.

I think I will put together a full tutorial.

Does anyone have a tutorial on how to rebuilt the slimboot disk without seatbelt.kext mod? Tried some different ways but booting off 10.5.6 after install still panics with the voodoo kernel.

how do I know that I got the disknsy correct on the first step? is there any specific things that tell me I was wrong? Because I still get the "waiting for root device" error.

according to

I should get "jettisoning kernel linker" instead of that error.

I only have the dvd and hdd connected to the computer and they are both sata.

edit: I also tried with the 10.5.0 disk and got the same error.

This happens after the firewire security error

Can any one point me in the right direction, I feel like I hit a dead end.

Part 2. Nothing miraculous here. It just covers the steps of first HDD boot of OSX up to the point of account creation.

Part 3 will cover what I consider to be the most difficult section. There is so much in it that I may have to break that up into two or more parts. I might post a list of all the command lines for each step. I got them from the first post and the other guide it links to but made some minor tweaks for my setup. I also slightly modified the DSDT patching process because of a problem I had getting it to work.

how do I know that I got the disknsy correct on the first step? is there any specific things that tell me I was wrong? Because I still get the "waiting for root device" error.

according to

I should get "jettisoning kernel linker" instead of that error.

I only have the dvd and hdd connected to the computer and they are both sata.

edit: I also tried with the 10.5.0 disk and got the same error.

This happens after the firewire security error

Can any one point me in the right direction, I feel like I hit a dead end.

My SATA cables for the HDD and Bluray respectively are connected to ports 1 and 2. At 13 seconds in the part one video you can see that I am specifically using those locations. All my boot command lines hinge on those settings.

I can only suggest that you try setting your BIOS the exact same way. I had the Waiting On Root Device error and eventually solved it via bios tweaks. It's a bit hard to say if that is exactly what solved it but I figured out the command line situation early on because I couldn't even get to where I could see the OSX install disk. I misread the instructions and was going to the unformatted HDD instead. It basically did nothing. Once I figured it out I rolled past it and my next hangup was with the W.O.R.D. error.

What bios are you on? I am using V2 of the board with 0406 and not V1.

Does anyone have a tutorial on how to rebuilt the slimboot disk without seatbelt.kext mod? Tried some different ways but booting off 10.5.6 after install still panics with the voodoo kernel.

Seconded... Eagerly awaiting your guide, Dan!!!

ahhh.....finally was able to install it. I have the p6t delux v2 but I never updated the bios. Updating the bios fixed the "waiting for root device" error on the install dvd. However after I updated to 10.5.6 the error returned. I tried every combo of diskNsY I could think of and they all return the same error message.

I think it has to do with the 132boot disk not loading the drivers for sata or something. I really can't wrap my head around this one.

One intersting observation. If I try to boot the 10.5.6 install cd I get the error again. but I boot the 10.5 dvd that error goes away.

any1 have a good copy of the 132boot cd that would work with both 10.5.6 and p6t v2?

Hi guys,

first off: Thank you very much for the tutorials. They have been very helpful for me and I am 99% done my hackintosh install.

I'm running iDeneb 1.4 and have installed the upgrade kit to 10.5.7, I have successfully ran all four cores and HT, my 4870 is up and running as well as my ATA and my Ethernet.

The only problem is that I'm getting a KP on startup (Fine if I boot with -x).

"Backtrace terminted-invalied frame pointer 0

Kernal loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.superhai.driver.GeneralCPUPowerManagement(1.1.3_@0x8967d000->0x89686fff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.2.0)@0x7efb1000"

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Hey does anyone know if it is possible to mod the DSDT in the actual bios?

Can someone please upload they're working DSDT.aml so i can try it? Also please let me know what bios you are using because for me all that seems to work is bios 1506. Thanks in advance!

Part 3 is available here:

I must tell you now that there will have to be a part 4. However, part 3 gets all the way to the end of phase 4 in munky's guide which is where you are ready to reboot. Nearly anyone could make their way through MJ's guide once they are this far.

Part 4 will contain the LAN mod and a reboot and all the loose ends around that. I did not do the 10.5.6 or 10.5.7 upgrade because my install was from 10.5.6. I also did not use the audio kexts because I couldn't get it to work and I'm using a firewire audio interface from my studio for sound so there wasn't much point anyway.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. I'm pretty good at editing but this was a very difficult job and I was having a hard time being succinct and clear with such a complex subject. The pause button is your friend. Some of it goes by quickly.

On a different note, I was wondering if someone could walk me through the audio fix noob style. I'm really interested in using solution #1, but I can't quite comprehend the writer's english (no offense meant). I've added the hdaenabler kext and the ad1988bhdafix kext to system/library/extensions, but he also mentions putting them in mkext format, and I don't understand how to do that, and whether the resulting file should go in extras or in system/library. Anyone willing to help me out?

There are two ways you can install the audio fix. The first is the simplest. If you have an EFI partition setup as noted in the first post, simply copy HDAEnabler.kext and the AD2000*.kext files into /Volumes/EFI/Extensions/ and then run the update.sh script. Obviously you need to have the EFI partition mounted:

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

Note: replace disk0 with your disk as needed, in addition, you'll need to be root for the above, and the below.

If you get any popup dialogs upon restart about being unable to load the extension because it's not installed correctly or something similar, run the following commands to fix permissions (the usual reason):

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/EFI/Extensions/AD200* /Volumes/EFI/Extensions/HDAEnabler.kext

chmod -R go-w /Volumes/EFI/Extensions/AD200* /Volumes/EFI/Extensions/HDAEnabler.kext

If you *still* get an error, trying the following:

/bin/kextload /Volumes/EFI/Extentions/HDAEnabler.kext

and try to fix what it's complaining about.

Also, if you have the P6T Deluxe v2, you should be using the AD200* kext, NOT the AD1988* kext.

Part 3 is available here:

I must tell you now that there will have to be a part 4. However, part 3 gets all the way to the end of phase 4 in munky's guide which is where you are ready to reboot. Nearly anyone could make their way through MJ's guide once they are this far.

Part 4 will contain the LAN mod and a reboot and all the loose ends around that. I did not do the 10.5.6 or 10.5.7 upgrade because my install was from 10.5.6. I also did not use the audio kexts because I couldn't get it to work and I'm using a firewire audio interface from my studio for sound so there wasn't much point anyway.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. I'm pretty good at editing but this was a very difficult job and I was having a hard time being succinct and clear with such a complex subject. The pause button is your friend. Some of it goes by quickly.

THANKS!!! :D I followed your videos and upon rebooting came to find that I had a sweet, fresh, clean vanilla install of (The Big Cat) Leopard with all Cores and Hyper threading (Now I gotta figure out how to upgrade to 10.5.6 then 10.5.7 without messing it up). :)

Here is my current dilema:

Both Audio Fixes for me work right now

I can use the patched AppleHDA

or

Original AppleHDA, the AD200b, and the HDAEnabler

and both give me sound.

However, if I have sound, the computer doesn't shutdown properly. Everything turns off and the screen goes blank, but the computer is still running. I have the original Asus P6T Deluxe.

Any ideas?

FIXED: Download OpenHaltRestart.kext from Pystar and install it!

any1 have a good copy of the 132boot cd that would work with both 10.5.6 and p6t v2?

The cd from the first post works fine with 10.5.6 and the P6T v2, I know since that is my setup.. If it doesn't for you, then something else is going on. Sorry :(

Is it possible to create software raid0 and then install leopard to it with this method

It is possible to install it first to a non-RAID-disk and afterwards, clone it to a RAID-disk and make them bootable by adding EFI or installing Chameleon. (for EFI-method see my posts regarding RAID-setup in this thread, for Chameleon there's a thread in here somewhere).

For some reason, the kernel can't find neither my 10.5.6 install dvd or my 10.5.6 updated install. The install works fine if I put my 10.5.0 install dvd in.

I get through the whole setup I even get everything working. Things stop working right after I update to 10.5.6 I get stuck at the "waiting for root device" Tried boot a copy of leo 10.5.6 and installing from that but Kernel "still waiting for root device" .

I even used the UUID to boot and it only boots when I hook up my external dvd. However after I get to the install screen I can't find my HDD's. I have AHCI enabled for any1 wondering .

so to summarize:

10.5.0 DVD works

10.5.0 Install works

10.5.6 dvd doesn't work

10.5.6 updated from 10.5.0 doens't work

10.5.6 on an external dvd works fine can't find HDD's after.

My guess:

Kernel somehow someway won't see the hdd's or my sata dvd if I am on 10.5.6 anything.

What I have:

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboar bios updated to latest with an Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz

12gigs ram

2 sata HDD's and a sata dvd drive.