[How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7)

M J

925 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I have an asus p6t deluxe v2

I have a couple of issues:

1. Windows network shares aren't showing no matter what I do (I've looked around, turning off ipv6, setting WINS name, workgroup, making a new location)

2. I can NOT reboot or shutdown after waking from sleep. I can reboot/shutdown just fine if I don't put the computer to sleep beforehand during the session.

for that I've tried the openhaltrestart.kext and it made no difference. Any other solutions?

Using iatkos v7 with vanilla kernel and dsdt patch and pc_efi v10 loader.

Here is the iso i used to boot the retail dvd on my ASUS P6T(base model/non deluxe whatever u wanna call it)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gdgm1zuum4m/ASUS

Hey guys I could use some help. I have a P6T (non-deluxe) and I've been using the iso in the post I've quoted. However I keep getting an error something like SAM Multimedia disk1s3 i/o error that just repeats over and over. I've searched the board and it seems like its a problem that can be solved from reburning the OSX Install disk at a slower speed, but thats my problem... I'm using the OSX 10.5.0 Disk that came with my MBP. Can someone point me in the right direction on what i'm doing wrong?

Hey guys I could use some help. I have a P6T (non-deluxe) and I've been using the iso in the post I've quoted. However I keep getting an error something like SAM Multimedia disk1s3 i/o error that just repeats over and over. I've searched the board and it seems like its a problem that can be solved from reburning the OSX Install disk at a slower speed, but thats my problem... I'm using the OSX 10.5.0 Disk that came with my MBP. Can someone point me in the right direction on what i'm doing wrong?

Suggestions to burn at a slower speed usually indicate a possible error on the disk itself. Clean the disk and try again. If it's completely spotless, then I'm at a loss :(

is there any reason why I can't find my "root device" after I updated to 10.5.6 / 7 . Seems to work fine before

Also the same thing happens when I try to install from 10.5.6 DVD.

I am really stumped I can't find anything that can cause that problem. Can any1 point me in the right direction

Thank you in advance.

is there any reason why I can't find my "root device" after I updated to 10.5.6 / 7 . Seems to work fine before

Also the same thing happens when I try to install from 10.5.6 DVD.

I am really stumped I can't find anything that can cause that problem. Can any1 point me in the right direction

Thank you in advance.

Most of the time it's because the drive you're booting from should be on the SATA1 port. For example when I was installing from the DVD I plunged the DVD drive on a SATA1 port on my MOBO and HDD on SATA2, and then when I was booting from the HDD i changed their places, so I avoided the "waiting for the root device" problem.

Try it.

Regards,

neonize

still waiting for root device

i put my dvd on sata#3 and HDD on sata#1

disk1s3,disk0s3,disk2,3disk1s2,disk1s1,disk2s2 i get still waiting for root device

i put my dvd on sata#1 and HDD on sata#3

disk0s3 worked! but..at the installation, it caculates installation remaining and i get the install failed message.

Please HELP! very struggling...it's my 3rd week..

I'm done. I finished installing the Retail copy on my machine! Now I have a working 10.5.7 Mac OS X.

Basically, the biggest problem was the installation disk. I tried 10.5.6 and 10.5.4, and at the end the one that was functional for my system was Mac OS X Retail 10.5.

Also, I realized that the "waiting for the root device" problem is due to the connection of the DVD drive and the HDD. When you're installing from the DVD, put the DVD drive on SATA1 and HDD on SATA2, and then when you're about to boot for the first time in your system, switch the places (HDD on SATA1 and DVD on SATA2).

Thanks to all!

neonize

this is really useful thanks a lot... I just have one question did you use the 10.5.7 version?

My friend got the reatil Cd with his Macbook. Can i use his 10.5.5 Cd also or does that not work? Also as it is a macbook will the cd have everything?

My computer (HP Elite e9150t, i7-920 processor, 6GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM, 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive, 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850

I followed the instructions here step by step.

Which allowed me to start the install process. I get all the way down to step C: Boot your Leopard DVD and Note 2: Your booting or installation might seem to freeze at times... just leave it there, ti will regain consciousness in a few minutes (up tp 7-10 minutes generally)

I've done it 4 times, always allowing it to sit for at least 10 minutes and this last time over an hour to see if anything would happen. And nope its just still sitting there.

The bottom text on the screen reads:

"MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 clust IO buffer headers"

Any help greatly appreciated!

This happens because more than one CPU core is activated. See if you can disable all but 1 core in the BIOS. If not, try the boot flags

cpus=1 busratio=20

Although I don't know if that will work... all the guides seem to ask for the BIOS to disable the 3 other cores.

This happens because more than one CPU core is activated. See if you can disable all but 1 core in the BIOS. If not, try the boot flags

cpus=1 busratio=20

Although I don't know if that will work... all the guides seem to ask for the BIOS to disable the 3 other cores.

Thanks for the response! However anytime I do the busratio=20 and it finishes scrolling down to the CPU has 0 error and I hit "y" it just restarts.

I flashed my bios with Afuwin, but am unable to set the control to 1. I am currently looking around to figure out another way to change my bios. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Hi

hope somebody can help me I'm stuck at : nfs_boot_init failed

I've tried every combination with rd=disk and only 0s1 & 0s2 'work' until that all other give me: waiting for boot device

I've put hd on sata port 1 and dvd on sata port 2 everything else is pulled out

thanks in advance

Thanks for the response! However anytime I do the busratio=20 and it finishes scrolling down to the CPU has 0 error and I hit "y" it just restarts.

I flashed my bios with Afuwin, but am unable to set the control to 1. I am currently looking around to figure out another way to change my bios. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

try to nix the busratio=20 command... It isn't necessary for all kernels. If you're using the iatkos v7 disk, try using

mach_970 cpus=1 maxmem=2048 -v

see if that boots.

<noob allert>

I'm coming from Linux and trying to install a retail Mac os X natively on a new system... I'm getting close but, honestly, I'm flying pretty much blind here... and could use some help.

Asus P6T deluxe

i7 920

cd/dvd and hdd are both SATA

nvidia 260

true retail 10.5.6 dvd

All bits are brand new, the system is a virgin.

The story so far...

* Made sure to connect DVD drive to SATA1, and HD drive to SATA2 on mobo.

........this sure made things easier!

* Set BIOS as MJ states at the beginning of this thread.

* Fire up SlimBuild preBoot v3

hit 'esc', insert Mac disk and wait until drive settles

......'enter', 'F8', 'rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk1s3'

.........lots of messages... Error, attempting to determine cpu multiplier....

......'y'

.........more messages...

(here's where i hit the infamous "Waiting for primary device" error, solved by moving the drive connections as mentioned above)

......... Error, appleintelcpupowermanagement... will pass after ~7minutes

* MacInstaller starts ...yeah!!

......Choose language... ok

......Select Destination... Here's where I'm stuck.

The Select Destination field is empty.

Ok, no problem, the drive has never been formatted.

So, fire up Disk Utility and set it up to "erase" and format as Mac Journaled.

It shows that it's preparing for erasing, with the barberpole going on the progress bar... nothing happens. 14 hours later.... nothing continues to happen with mindnumbing speed.

I've tried diskutil from the terminal. It too does nothing.

I've tried using cfdisk and gparted from a live Puppy (linux distro). Formatted as HFS+... no luck.

Any clues? (I'm also open to trying a completely different approach)

Using 132 disc installed 10.5.4 using disc.

Removed hd from computer

Using sata to usb wire attached to mac air

Then using 10.5.7 combo update updated

Ran dd script

Installed charmeleon 2….

Made disc bootable

Installed the kexts for the gigabyte board to give me the extensions etc, then edited them –

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage, IONetworkingFamily, Disabler, dsmos, OpenHaltRestart and UUID

Updated boot caches

Reattach to p6t based computer

Boot off of hard drive

Charmeleon loads fine

Use –v –f tags and busratio=20

Then get stuck here (literally 20 mins to get here)–

localhost /usr/sbin/ocspd[70]: starting

localhost mds[19]: (error) server: mdsync launch failed: (ipc?rcv) timed out

then a grey screen with black pointer at top left.

anyone have any clues???

My friend got the reatil Cd with his Macbook. Can i use his 10.5.5 Cd also or does that not work? Also as it is a macbook will the cd have everything?

Anybody any experience with this?

And my gpu the Ati radeon hd 4870 is a official gpu from apple, will ich have to install anything?

Thanks in advance!

Having some problems with Asus P6T Deluxe V2 on 10.5.7.

Followed Dan Hamman's mini guide (whatever happened to the full one that was supposed to go up?). Worked great in conjunction with the OP guide. Basically just booted with a 10.5.0 disk. Installed combo 10.5.6 and then 10.5.7 (without doing any kext mods or anything). Installed chameleon loader, fixed the LAN, a few other small things (added some kexts to the Extras folder as per Dan Hamman's instructions). Added an EFI gfx string for my card (gts-250) and voila. Working 10.5.7 with i7 920.

Except it's not. The LAN lasted on boot and now it's gone again. Both LAN ports show up under networking, but both say the cable is disconnected (it's not, LAN works fine on the asus builtin mini os expressgate). I remember having a similar problem getting this asus LAN to work in centos (it worked once, failed, and came back on randomly after a few reboots).

Any thoughts?

Worse still, I hit the minus button and removed both LANs from network, thinking osx will redetect them and maybe they'll work. So far they haven't reppeared. I'm familiar with osx but can't seemt o find any hardware detect option.

I'd even consider buying a lan card that's known to work with hackintoshes rather than spend days fussing with the onboard lan on the asus p6t. (

Cheers for any suggestions, otherwise thanks to everyone in this topic for doing all the hard work.

I was able to get 10.5.7 working on my Asus Rampage II Extreme Core i7 920 system with some help for your guide.

You're right, much of it is outdated and a 10.5.7 Core i7 guide would be useful to a lot of people. I suppose I could write one and host up some files. The thing that bothers me though is that everyone wants to know exactly what to type, but they don't want to know why they have to type it. I don't know if I want to get into the business of spoon feeding a step by step guide to people who don't want to learn.

That issue aside, here is a basic overview of what I've done. If anyone has successfully installed with your guide should be able to follow this.

1) Setup your bios as described in the guide. It is crucial that you disable hyperthreading and activate only 1 core.

1) Boot from v3 slimbuild image available in this thread, and install with a Leopard retail disc. I used the disc I bought the day Leopard was released, and is version 10.5.0. Anything up to ~10.5.5 should work. There is an incompatibility with the seatbelt.kext on the slimbuild boot image and 10.5.6. More about that in a bit.

2) Leopard will "fail" install at the very last moment due to not being able to activate the installation partition. Ignore this and reboot with the slimbuild disc, this time booting from the hard disk partition instead of your Leopard disc. i.e. bt(0,0)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk0s2.

Having some problems with Asus P6T Deluxe V2 on 10.5.7.

Followed Dan Hamman's mini guide (whatever happened to the full one that was supposed to go up?). Worked great in conjunction with the OP guide. Basically just booted with a 10.5.0 disk. Installed combo 10.5.6 and then 10.5.7 (without doing any kext mods or anything). Installed chameleon loader, fixed the LAN, a few other small things (added some kexts to the Extras folder as per Dan Hamman's instructions). Added an EFI gfx string for my card (gts-250) and voila. Working 10.5.7 with i7 920.

Except it's not. The LAN lasted on boot and now it's gone again. Both LAN ports show up under networking, but both say the cable is disconnected (it's not, LAN works fine on the asus builtin mini os expressgate). I remember having a similar problem getting this asus LAN to work in centos (it worked once, failed, and came back on randomly after a few reboots).

Any thoughts?

Worse still, I hit the minus button and removed both LANs from network, thinking osx will redetect them and maybe they'll work. So far they haven't reppeared. I'm familiar with osx but can't seemt o find any hardware detect option.

I'd even consider buying a lan card that's known to work with hackintoshes rather than spend days fussing with the onboard lan on the asus p6t. (

Cheers for any suggestions, otherwise thanks to everyone in this topic for doing all the hard work.

hmmm... i am still struggling with my install... what kexts are you using??? and are you using charmeleon???

as far as lan... sounds very kext related there... i havent got as far as you yet but sounds like the kext is not actually loading or whatever it does...

I'll second the call for a write-up of the install process that doesn't make quite so many assumptions!

As for trying to get the installer to recognize a drive... no luck so far.

I've since tried even silly things like formatting it for msdos (via cfdisk), but nothing ever shows in Select Destination nor does Disk Utility ever do anything.

Hey, I figured I'd write out my process in detail (both for myself to remember, as I'm daft like that) and in case it helps y'all. I got my networking issues fixed so right now my 10.5.7 is working perfectly. Anyhow, here's my guide:

Leopard Retail DVD install on Asus P6T Deluxe V2 – updated to 10.5.7

Hopefully this helps others, I'm basing this off of MJ's (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=144639) & Dan Hammans guides (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1168494) in this thread. Plus some tips from the youtube video series starting here:

Basically by mixing and matching various tips in this thread I have a working OSX 10.5.7 install on Asus P6T Deluxe V2, Intel i7 920 with a Geforce GTS 250. Working LAN, working USB (unlike some complaints, usb drives don't need to be attached to the computer on boot, it will detect them post-boot just fine). Only outstanding problem is shutdown doesn't turn off power (OSX is completely off but it never seems to turn off the power). Otherwise, as far as I can tell everything is working fine. I haven't tested the audio yet, but it should work exactly as in MJ's guide (that is not perfect, but more than adequate for listening to music).

This install was ridiculously easy and I had very few problems. Using the chameleon RC1 431 installer just made the whole process a piece of cake.

This is basically just Dan Hammons guide with a bit more info and links to everything you'll need.

First, my hardware:

• Intel Core i7 920
  • Asus P6T Deluxe V2
  • XFX Geforce GTS 250 1GB
  • WD Caviar Black 1gb 7200RPM
  • LG 22x SATA DVD+-R
  • 6x2GB
  • Corsair Dominator DDR3
  • Corsair PSU 550w

NB: I began the process with my Asus bios at stock version 302. At one point I upgraded to 406. I forget exactly why, the only difference it might have made was allowed for better detection of USB drives in OSX. Or it could be entirely coincidental. The latest version of the bios is 504. I haven't upgraded to that yet. I doubt it would make a difference whichever bios you use.

What you'll need:

Before beginning:

Familiarize yourself with MJ's guide, Dan Hammons guide and youtube videos (see links above). I followed Dan Hammons guide closely (which itself takes tips from MJs).

Step 1 (preparation)

1. Burn the Asus Deluxe P6T boot-132 v3 iso to a cd [a DVD should also work].
  2. Unplug all your HDDs except the one you want to install to. Make sure it's your primary SATA drive. Put your dvd-rom drive on 2nd SATA channel.
  3. Upgrade your bios to whatever version you like. Upgrading the bios is very easy, just download the .rom from the asus website and put it on a USB key then use the bios flasher at boot and select the rom on your usb key.[NB: I did most of my install on 302. Once OSX was installed and mostly updated I decided, for no good reason, to update the bios to 406. I'm running 406 now and haven't tested 504 but don't' see why you can't just jump straight to 504 before beginning. At the very least go to 406]
  4. Make the following changes in your BIOS (from MJs guide):

- Main

- Storage Configuration

+ Configure SATA as [AHCI]

- Advanced

- CPU coonfiguration

+ Intel ® HT Technology [Disabled]

+ Active Processor Cores [1]

+ A20M [Disabled]

+ everything else [Enabled]

- Onboard Devices Configuration

+ High Definition Audio [Enabled]

+ Front Panel Audio [HD Audio]

- Power

+ Suspend Mode [Auto]

+ Repost Video on S3 Resume [Yes]

+ ACPI 2.0 Support [Enabled]

+ ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

- APM Configuration

+ Restore on AC Power Loss [Last State]

- Boot

- Boot Device Priority

+ 1st Boot Device [ATAPI CD-ROM]

+ 2nd Boot Device [Hard Drive]

Step 2 (installation)

1. Insert the Asus Deluxe P6T boot- 132 v3 CD you burnt and let your computer boot to it.
  2. At the prompt, press F8, then at the boot prompt, press esc. [NB: see the youtube video for how it looks].
  3. Insert the retail OSX disk and give your cd-rom drive a few seconds to detect it.
  4. Enter the hexadecimal value in brackets (in my case it was 'ef') and once the OSX retail disk is finished spinning up, press enter. [NB: see the youtube video for a good idea of how this all works].
  5. Now you'll be prompted to press F8 again. This time you'll see the mac OSX disk as the startup disk. [NB: again the youtube video is helpful here].
  6. At the boot prompt, type: rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk1s3
  7. [NB: you may have to change the disk1s3 to some other number (e.g. disk0s3) but I doubt it. The number you'll need is written in front of where it says Mac OS X install DVD)]
  8. Hit enter, now the install process will begin. You will get an error about FSB multiplier being 0. Ignore it and press 'y'. This error will keep showing up on every reboot until you install Chameleon RC1. Just keep ignoring it.
  9. The install will appear to freeze occasionally. Sometime up to 10-20 minutes. Just give it time. [NB: The youtube video will help set your mind at ease, watch his sped up install].
  10. Eventually you'll end up in OS X. Hit continue at the welcome screen. Agree to the license. If you're drive is fresh like mine, there will be no install location. That's ok. You need to format a Mac partition on your disk. I strongly suggest you do this step even if you have a proper partition. Doesn't hurt to start fresh.
  11. Click on the tools menu at the top of the screen and select Disk Utility. Find your hard drive, and create a new partition. [NB: In my experience, erasing the previous partition caused a crash, so I think it's important to create an entirely new partition rather than erase. Functionally it's the same, but erasing the previous partition didn't work for me.]
  12. Select Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). Hit the plus sign (options) for more options and select GUIDE partition table. [NB: I didn't see any indication of making the partition GUIDE in either MJs or Dan Hammans guides, but I did this for my Dell mini 9 so I figured this was a good step.]
  13. Now you can choose your newly portioned drive as a destination.
  14. Skip the DVD verification if you want (I'm using retail disk and trust that it's not corrupt).
  15. The install will take 10-20 minutes. In my case it appeared to hang at 4 minutes left for quite a while (maybe 10 minutes or so). I hit a key on the keyboard and it said Install Failed. This is completely normal (see the youtube videos). It was allow you to restart. Click on the restart button and when the prompt says server shutdown. You can manually reboot your computer [OS X will, for some reason, be unable to restart the computer on its own at this stage].
  16. Put the Asus Deluxe P6T boot- 132 v3 CD back in and boot to it. You no longer need your OS X retail DVD anymore so you can put that away.
  17. At the prompt press F8, at boot prompt press ESC. Now it will ask you to select your HDD (either 80 or 81). Mine was 80. I expect yours will be as well. It will now tell you that HD(0,2) Macintosh HD is the startup volume. At the boot prompt type: rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk0s2
  18. OS X should now boot, before you get to Darwin you'll get the FSB multiplier = 0 error again, just press 'y'. At times your system will seem to hang, just wait it out. Generally no longer than 5 minutes. There will be a number of failures, just wait them out.

Step 3 (Updating)

1. Now that you're in OS X. Create your account as you normally would. You won't have access to LAN yet so don't worry about registering.
  2. Insert a USB key or burnt DVD with all the above files you'll need and copy them to your desktop (DSDT Patcher, Chameleon RC1, EFI pack, 10.5.6 and 10.5.7 combo updates and these instructions in a txt doc). [NB: If you're USB key ins't detected, try rebooting with it already plugged in, this time OS X should detect it. This is a strange intermittent error that, in my case, eventually went away either due to 10.5.6 and 10.5.7 updates or due upgrading my P6T bios to 406. In my case OS X will now detect USB drives regardless if one was plugged in on boot or not].
  3. IMPORTANT, due to a conflict with the Asus Deluxe P6T boot- 132 v3 CD, OS X won't mount the 10.5.7 combo after 10.5.6. Therefore, at this stage mount both 10.5.6 and 10.5.7 and copy the .pkg to the desktop. You can delete the 10.5.6 and 10.5.7 disk images (.dmg).
  4. Install 10.5.6. It will eventually ask you to reboot. Do so. You'll once again have to hit F8, ESC, 80 then rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk0s2
  5. as above in order to get back into OS X. At one point Darwin will ask you to reboot at the command line. Manually reboot and after going through F8, ESC, 80 and rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk0s2 you'll be in OS X [NB: you'll have to keep doing this on every reboot until we install the chameleon boot loader].
  6. When 10.5.6 is completely installed, install 10.5.7. Once again, you'll have to reboot twice. Once when it prompts you, and again when Darwin prompts you [NB: it's possible your system will reboot on its own this 2nd time, mine didn't]. On you're third boot you'll be in OS X 10.5.7!

Step 4 (Fixes)

1. Now that you have 10.5.7, we need to do some tweaks and fixes. Firstly run the DSDT patcher as per MJ's guide (summarized here): Unzip the patcher archive. Double click on DSDT patcher. Select 0 for emulation (Darwin OS). The patcher will create some files. We have to edit these and run it again forcing it to use our edits. Open a terminal and navigate to where you extracted the patcher. Type: nano Debug/dsdt.dsl We're going to make some edits to the dsdt file to allow for running the i7 920.
  2. Navigate to this part of the file and delete all the lines beginning with Alias [NB: See MJ's guide or youtube videos for info if you need it].
  3. Scope (_PR)
    {
    Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}
    Alias (P001, CPU1)
    Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Alias (P002, CPU2)
    Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Alias (P003, CPU3)
    Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Alias (P004, CPU4)
    Processor (P005, 0x05, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Alias (P005, CPU5)
    Processor (P006, 0x06, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Alias (P006, CPU6)
    Processor (P007, 0x07, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Alias (P007, CPU7)
    Processor (P008, 0x08, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Alias (P008, CPU8)
    Processor (P009, 0x09, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Alias (P009, CPU9)
    Processor (P010, 0x0A, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Processor (P011, 0x0B, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Processor (P012, 0x0C, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Processor (P013, 0x0D, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Processor (P014, 0x0E, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Processor (P015, 0x0F, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Processor (P016, 0x10, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    }
  4. Once that's finished. Hit Ctr-o (the letter 'o') and enter to save the changes and Ctr-x to exit nano.
  5. In terminal, run the patcher again forcing it to use your edits: ./DSDT Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl
  6. Now copy the new .aml file to the root folder, but make sure to rename it to uppercase: cp dsdt.aml /DSDT.aml
  7. Install the chameleon boot loader. This simply requires double clicking on the installer and hitting continue. It will install a folder called Extra in your root dir that contains some kexts that we'll add to in a later step. [NB: Make sure you get chameleon RC1 431 with the official installer. I first downloaded one without the installer and couldn't make heads or tails of it].
  8. Add some of the kexts from the EFI_pack V3 to the /Extras/Extensions folder. You need to add dsmos.kext and can optionally add others. I don't know what they do, but I added AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext.
  9. Fix the LAN. In a terminal type: sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist
  10. Scroll down till you find <key>Yukon-88E8053</key> and change the 53 to 56 Scroll down some more and find<string>0x436211AB</string> change 62 to 64 Scroll down further and find <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA</string> change 53 to 56.
  11. Hit Ctr-o and enter to save the file and ctr-x to exit nano.
  12. It may help to 'touch' the files to make sure OS X realizes they've been changed. To do this type: sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions (and enter your password).
  13. Reboot to bios and turn on hyperthreading and all your cores. Change to boot order to HDD first and CDROM second. Save changes and exit bios.
  14. If everything goes well you'll boot to Chameleon. Select your Macintosh HD to boot (use arrow and press enter) and in less than a minute OS X should boot.

Step 5 (More fixes and problem solving)

1. Assuming everything went well, you now have a working OS X 10.5.7. In my case, LAN stopped working after one boot. The Ethernet ports showed up in network (under system preferences) but both said cable disconnected. What I did to fix this was I went back to the earlier step where we fixed the LAN and I set it back to the old settings. Rebooted and fixed it. However I had to add the -f flag to the flags section of the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist This will force OS X to bypass the kext caches and load them directly. It's supposed to slow down boot times a bit, but I didn't notice. FYI: I also tried deleting the kext cache and mkext file under System/Library but that didn't help. All in all, a slightly longer boot is worth having LAN.
  2. To fix video card: This will depend on what video card you have. But by and large your card should be represented here (http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?act...&thread=509) and the instructions worked great for me with the addition that you should add the EFI string to the com.apple.Boot.plist in your /Extra folder as well as (or instead of) the one under Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration as in the instructions. I'm now running dual 24" montors perfectly.
  3. I also added <key>Graphics Mode</key> <string>1680x1050x32</string> to my Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist to make the bootup screen nicer. But it's not necessary.
  4. To fix audio, I refer you to MJs guide (I haven't tried it yet).

Good luck!

UPDATE (July 15th, 2009):

• Forget what I said about the networking above. You don't have to add the -f flag to your Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist. Simply proceed with the network fix as in Step 4 above. When you're done, download OSx86tools (an excellent tool in it's own right) and use the clear extension cache feature. Reboot and the network should still work without the -f flag.
  • The audio fix is very easy and works great. (no front panel though). Simply download this and this and use terminal to sudo copy AD2000b.HDA.FIX and HDAEnabler kexts to your /Extra/Extensions folder. You could put them in System/Library/Extensions but better to keep that clean. Use OSX86tools to clear the extension cache just to be safe, reboot and you should have sound.
  • I was getting a lot of "_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35" errors when running applications from terminal (and in the system log files). Adding this UUID.kext to the /Extra/Extensions folder fixed them all.

Hey, I figured I'd write out my process in detail (both for myself to remember, as I'm daft like that) and in case it helps y'all. I got my networking issues fixed so right now my 10.5.7 is working perfectly. Anyhow, here's my guide:

Leopard Retail DVD install on Asus P6T Deluxe V2 – updated to 10.5.7

Hopefully this helps others, I'm basing this off of MJ's (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=144639) & Dan Hammans guides (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1168494) in this thread. Plus some tips from the youtube video series starting here:

Basically by mixing and matching various tips in this thread I have a working OSX 10.5.7 install on Asus P6T Deluxe V2, Intel i7 920 with a Geforce GTS 250. Working LAN, working USB (unlike some complaints, usb drives don't need to be attached to the computer on boot, it will detect them post-boot just fine). Only outstanding problem is shutdown doesn't turn off power (OSX is completely off but it never seems to turn off the power). Otherwise, as far as I can tell everything is working fine. I haven't tested the audio yet, but it should work exactly as in MJ's guide (that is not perfect, but more than adequate for listening to music).

This install was ridiculously easy and I had very few problems. Using the chameleon RC1 431 installer just made the whole process a piece of cake.

This is basically just Dan Hammons guide with a bit more info and links to everything you'll need.

First, my hardware:

• Intel Core i7 920
  • Asus P6T Deluxe V2
  • XFX Geforce GTS 250 1GB
  • WD Caviar Black 1gb 7200RPM
  • LG 22x SATA DVD+-R
  • 6x2GB
  • Corsair Dominator DDR3
  • Corsair PSU 550w

NB: I began the process with my Asus bios at stock version 302. At one point I upgraded to 406. I forget exactly why, the only difference it might have made was allowed for better detection of USB drives in OSX. Or it could be entirely coincidental. The latest version of the bios is 504. I haven't upgraded to that yet. I doubt it would make a difference whichever bios you use.

What you'll need:

Before beginning:

Familiarize yourself with MJ's guide, Dan Hammons guide and youtube videos (see links above). I followed Dan Hammons guide closely (which itself takes tips from MJs).

Step 1 (preparation)

1. Burn the Asus Deluxe P6T boot-132 v3 iso to a cd [a DVD should also work].
  2. Unplug all your HDDs except the one you want to install to. Make sure it's your primary SATA drive. Put your dvd-rom drive on 2nd SATA channel.
  3. Upgrade your bios to whatever version you like. Upgrading the bios is very easy, just download the .rom from the asus website and put it on a USB key then use the bios flasher at boot and select the rom on your usb key.[NB: I did most of my install on 302. Once OSX was installed and mostly updated I decided, for no good reason, to update the bios to 406. I'm running 406 now and haven't tested 504 but don't' see why you can't just jump straight to 504 before beginning. At the very least go to 406]
  4. Make the following changes in your BIOS (from MJs guide):

- Main

- Storage Configuration

+ Configure SATA as [AHCI]

- Advanced

- CPU coonfiguration

+ Intel ® HT Technology [Disabled]

+ Active Processor Cores [1]

+ A20M [Disabled]

+ everything else [Enabled]

- Onboard Devices Configuration

+ High Definition Audio [Enabled]

+ Front Panel Audio [HD Audio]

- Power

+ Suspend Mode [Auto]

+ Repost Video on S3 Resume [Yes]

+ ACPI 2.0 Support [Enabled]

+ ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

- APM Configuration

+ Restore on AC Power Loss [Last State]

- Boot

- Boot Device Priority

+ 1st Boot Device [ATAPI CD-ROM]

+ 2nd Boot Device [Hard Drive]

Step 2 (installation)

1. Insert the Asus Deluxe P6T boot- 132 v3 CD you burnt and let your computer boot to it.
  2. At the prompt, press F8, then at the boot prompt, press esc. [NB: see the youtube video for how it looks].
  3. Insert the retail OSX disk and give your cd-rom drive a few seconds to detect it.
  4. Enter the hexadecimal value in brackets (in my case it was 'ef') and once the OSX retail disk is finished spinning up, press enter. [NB: see the youtube video for a good idea of how this all works].
  5. Now you'll be prompted to press F8 again. This time you'll see the mac OSX disk as the startup disk. [NB: again the youtube video is helpful here].
  6. At the boot prompt, type: rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk1s3
  7. [NB: you may have to change the disk1s3 to some other number (e.g. disk0s3) but I doubt it. The number you'll need is written in front of where it says Mac OS X install DVD)]
  8. Hit enter, now the install process will begin. You will get an error about FSB multiplier being 0. Ignore it and press 'y'. This error will keep showing up on every reboot until you install Chameleon RC1. Just keep ignoring it.
  9. The install will appear to freeze occasionally. Sometime up to 10-20 minutes. Just give it time. [NB: The youtube video will help set your mind at ease, watch his sped up install].
  10. Eventually you'll end up in OS X. Hit continue at the welcome screen. Agree to the license. If you're drive is fresh like mine, there will be no install location. That's ok. You need to format a Mac partition on your disk. I strongly suggest you do this step even if you have a proper partition. Doesn't hurt to start fresh.
  11. Click on the tools menu at the top of the screen and select Disk Utility. Find your hard drive, and create a new partition. [NB: In my experience, erasing the previous partition caused a crash, so I think it's important to create an entirely new partition rather than erase. Functionally it's the same, but erasing the previous partition didn't work for me.]
  12. Select Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). Hit the plus sign (options) for more options and select GUIDE partition table. [NB: I didn't see any indication of making the partition GUIDE in either MJs or Dan Hammans guides, but I did this for my Dell mini 9 so I figured this was a good step.]
  13. Now you can choose your newly portioned drive as a destination.
  14. Skip the DVD verification if you want (I'm using retail disk and trust that it's not corrupt).
  15. The install will take 10-20 minutes. In my case it appeared to hang at 4 minutes left for quite a while (maybe 10 minutes or so). I hit a key on the keyboard and it said Install Failed. This is completely normal (see the youtube videos). It was allow you to restart. Click on the restart button and when the prompt says server shutdown. You can manually reboot your computer [OS X will, for some reason, be unable to restart the computer on its own at this stage].
  16. Put the Asus Deluxe P6T boot- 132 v3 CD back in and boot to it. You no longer need your OS X retail DVD anymore so you can put that away.
  17. At the prompt press F8, at boot prompt press ESC. Now it will ask you to select your HDD (either 80 or 81). Mine was 80. I expect yours will be as well. It will now tell you that HD(0,2) Macintosh HD is the startup volume. At the boot prompt type: rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk0s2
  18. OS X should now boot, before you get to Darwin you'll get the FSB multiplier = 0 error again, just press 'y'. At times your system will seem to hang, just wait it out. Generally no longer than 5 minutes. There will be a number of failures, just wait them out.

Step 3 (Updating)

1. Now that you're in OS X. Create your account as you normally would. You won't have access to LAN yet so don't worry about registering.
  2. Insert a USB key or burnt DVD with all the above files you'll need and copy them to your desktop (DSDT Patcher, Chameleon RC1, EFI pack, 10.5.6 and 10.5.7 combo updates and these instructions in a txt doc). [NB: If you're USB key ins't detected, try rebooting with it already plugged in, this time OS X should detect it. This is a strange intermittent error that, in my case, eventually went away either due to 10.5.6 and 10.5.7 updates or due upgrading my P6T bios to 406. In my case OS X will now detect USB drives regardless if one was plugged in on boot or not].
  3. IMPORTANT, due to a conflict with the Asus Deluxe P6T boot- 132 v3 CD, OS X won't mount the 10.5.7 combo after 10.5.6. Therefore, at this stage mount both 10.5.6 and 10.5.7 and copy the .pkg to the desktop. You can delete the 10.5.6 and 10.5.7 disk images (.dmg).
  4. Install 10.5.6. It will eventually ask you to reboot. Do so. You'll once again have to hit F8, ESC, 80 then rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk0s2
  5. as above in order to get back into OS X. At one point Darwin will ask you to reboot at the command line. Manually reboot and after going through F8, ESC, 80 and rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk0s2 you'll be in OS X [NB: you'll have to keep doing this on every reboot until we install the chameleon boot loader].
  6. When 10.5.6 is completely installed, install 10.5.7. Once again, you'll have to reboot twice. Once when it prompts you, and again when Darwin prompts you [NB: it's possible your system will reboot on its own this 2nd time, mine didn't]. On you're third boot you'll be in OS X 10.5.7!

Step 4 (Fixes)

1. Now that you have 10.5.7, we need to do some tweaks and fixes. Firstly run the DSDT patcher as per MJ's guide (summarized here): Unzip the patcher archive. Double click on DSDT patcher. Select 0 for emulation (Darwin OS). The patcher will create some files. We have to edit these and run it again forcing it to use our edits. Open a terminal and navigate to where you extracted the patcher. Type: nano Debug/dsdt.dsl We're going to make some edits to the dsdt file to allow for running the i7 920.
  2. Navigate to this part of the file and delete all the lines beginning with Alias [NB: See MJ's guide or youtube videos for info if you need it].
  3. Scope (_PR)
    {
    Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}
    Alias (P001, CPU1)
    Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Alias (P002, CPU2)
    Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Alias (P003, CPU3)
    Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Alias (P004, CPU4)
    Processor (P005, 0x05, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Alias (P005, CPU5)
    Processor (P006, 0x06, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Alias (P006, CPU6)
    Processor (P007, 0x07, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Alias (P007, CPU7)
    Processor (P008, 0x08, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Alias (P008, CPU8)
    Processor (P009, 0x09, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Alias (P009, CPU9)
    Processor (P010, 0x0A, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Processor (P011, 0x0B, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Processor (P012, 0x0C, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Processor (P013, 0x0D, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Processor (P014, 0x0E, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Processor (P015, 0x0F, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    Processor (P016, 0x10, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
    }
  4. Once that's finished. Hit Ctr-o (the letter 'o') and enter to save the changes and Ctr-x to exit nano.
  5. In terminal, run the patcher again forcing it to use your edits: ./DSDT\ Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl
  6. Now copy the new .aml file to the root folder, but make sure to rename it to uppercase: cp dsdt.aml /DSDT.aml
  7. Install the chameleon boot loader. This simply requires double clicking on the installer and hitting continue. It will install a folder called Extra in your root dir that contains some kexts that we'll add to in a later step. [NB: Make sure you get chameleon RC1 431 with the official installer. I first downloaded one without the installer and couldn't make heads or tails of it].
  8. Add some of the kexts from the EFI_pack V3 to the /Extras/Extensions folder. You need to add dsmos.kext and can optionally add others. I don't know what they do, but I added AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext.
  9. Fix the LAN. In a terminal type: sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist
  10. Scroll down till you find <key>Yukon-88E8053</key> and change the 53 to 56 Scroll down some more and find<string>0x436211AB</string> change 62 to 64 Scroll down further and find <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA</string> change 53 to 56.
  11. Hit Ctr-o and enter to save the file and ctr-x to exit nano.
  12. It may help to 'touch' the files to make sure OS X realizes they've been changed. To do this type: sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions (and enter your password).
  13. Reboot to bios and turn on hyperthreading and all your cores. Change to boot order to HDD first and CDROM second. Save changes and exit bios.
  14. If everything goes well you'll boot to Chameleon. Select your Macintosh HD to boot (use arrow and press enter) and in less than a minute OS X should boot.

Step 5 (More fixes and problem solving)

1. Assuming everything went well, you now have a working OS X 10.5.7. In my case, LAN stopped working after one boot. The Ethernet ports showed up in network (under system preferences) but both said cable disconnected. What I did to fix this was I went back to the earlier step where we fixed the LAN and I set it back to the old settings. Rebooted and fixed it. However I had to add the -f flag to the flags section of the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist This will force OS X to bypass the kext caches and load them directly. It's supposed to slow down boot times a bit, but I didn't notice. FYI: I also tried deleting the kext cache and mkext file under System/Library but that didn't help. All in all, a slightly longer boot is worth having LAN.
  2. To fix video card: This will depend on what video card you have. But by and large your card should be represented here (http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?act...&thread=509) and the instructions worked great for me with the addition that you should add the EFI string to the com.apple.Boot.plist in your /Extra folder as well as (or instead of) the one under Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration as in the instructions. I'm now running dual 24" montors perfectly.
  3. I also added <key>Graphics Mode</key> <string>1680x1050x32</string> to my Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist to make the bootup screen nicer. But it's not necessary.
  4. To fix audio, I refer you to MJs guide (I haven't tried it yet).

Good luck!

hi, nice tutorial...

Does your Firewire work???

//Maxpop