[How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7)

M J

925 posts in this topic

Hey Dummy15,

I'm no expert, but just a thought, what are you using for graphics? Trying to think of what you'd have on your system hardware wise that might stop the shutdown, and I know that it can adversly affect sleep as well. Did you check console for error messages?

My HW:

Asus P6T Deluxe

3 SATA HD Drives (640GB), all non-raid

1 SATA DVD-RW drive

1 IDE DVD-RAM

ASUS EAH 2600pro (ATI Radeon)

I found that if I use the standard AppleHDA.kext for sound => no KP at shutdown, logically as well no sound. However sleep even in such configuration does not work.

How can I check console message at graphical KP ?

Any solutions for sound AD2000b ?

dummy15, in system profiler you will find the system log at the very bottom, try to look there.

for our audio this is the best so far... the only bad things are front panel not working and microphone at a very low level.

I left my DSDT.aml in the / directory. I guess it doesn't matter where you put it.

Use the AppleHDA.kext included in this thread (attached in the first post) and install it. Permissions can be set via;

chown -R 0:0 AppleHDA.kext

chmod -R 755 AppleHDA.kext

Also, the reason it hangs for ~4-5 minutes on bootup is it fails to assign a UUID to the system because of the lack of on-board LAN functionality. It uses part of the MAC address of the first ethernet interface to generate the UUID. It should be trivial to create a legacyAppleYukon2.kext with a Plist.info file to alleviate that and allow for on-board LAN to function more easily during the installation/upgrade process.

D

Yeah for some reason it did not work on my P6T, still no sound. I also tried it with AppleAzalia kext, but no luck either. Is it possible that the attached kext only works for P6T Deluxe?

Yeah for some reason it did not work on my P6T, still no sound. I also tried it with AppleAzalia kext, but no luck either. Is it possible that the attached kext only works for P6T Deluxe?

Well, my motherboard is a Rampage II Extreme so it appears that it should work for both. I didn't make a whole lot of progress today on a full guide.

Right now I'm trying to figure out the best way to dual-boot Windows 7. Anyone have any insight on that topic? I have already partitioned to allow for install space, but I know that Windows 7 will over write my Chameleon install. I'm hoping that I can just install Windows 7, then re-install Chameleon.

@ whoever asked about a dd install or from scratch -

I'm writing something that one can do with a single hard drive, and a single computer. There may be a few instances where you need to plan ahead (or have access to a second computer) in order to get around some issues, depending on what you have.

Ultimately though I would like something self contained that as long as you are willing to read it carefully you will not only be able to follow but understand why you are doing what you're doing.

D

Well, my motherboard is a Rampage II Extreme so it appears that it should work for both. I didn't make a whole lot of progress today on a full guide.

Right now I'm trying to figure out the best way to dual-boot Windows 7. Anyone have any insight on that topic? I have already partitioned to allow for install space, but I know that Windows 7 will over write my Chameleon install. I'm hoping that I can just install Windows 7, then re-install Chameleon.

@ whoever asked about a dd install or from scratch -

I'm writing something that one can do with a single hard drive, and a single computer. There may be a few instances where you need to plan ahead (or have access to a second computer) in order to get around some issues, depending on what you have.

Ultimately though I would like something self contained that as long as you are willing to read it carefully you will not only be able to follow but understand why you are doing what you're doing.

D

cool... for the guide...

would not putting windows 7 on a seperate hard drive just solve everything...

I was able to get 10.5.7 working on my Asus Rampage II Extreme Core i7 920 system with some help for your guide.

You're right, much of it is outdated and a 10.5.7 Core i7 guide would be useful to a lot of people. I suppose I could write one and host up some files. The thing that bothers me though is that everyone wants to know exactly what to type, but they don't want to know why they have to type it. I don't know if I want to get into the business of spoon feeding a step by step guide to people who don't want to learn.

That issue aside, here is a basic overview of what I've done. If anyone has successfully installed with your guide should be able to follow this.

1) Setup your bios as described in the guide. It is crucial that you disable hyperthreading and activate only 1 core.

1) Boot from v3 slimbuild image available in this thread, and install with a Leopard retail disc. I used the disc I bought the day Leopard was released, and is version 10.5.0. Anything up to ~10.5.5 should work. There is an incompatibility with the seatbelt.kext on the slimbuild boot image and 10.5.6. More about that in a bit.

2) Leopard will "fail" install at the very last moment due to not being able to activate the installation partition. Ignore this and reboot with the slimbuild disc, this time booting from the hard disk partition instead of your Leopard disc. i.e. bt(0,0)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk0s2.

3) Finish installation. Now you've got a Leopard desktop. At this point I modified the kext in /S/L/E/IONetworkingfamily.kext/Content/Plugins/AppleYukon2.kext/Content/Info.plist as stated in your guide.

Note: You do not *have* to boot with -f. I had problems getting the kext change to be noticed by the system. In order to fix that you can use the touch command. Touch updates the last modified time of the file/directory. There is a process running in OSX that recognizes when this folder has been changed and automatically rebuilds the kext cache for you. This can be accomplished with 'sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions'. You may also want to touch the actual AppleYukon2.kext as well just to be sure. 'touch /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingfamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleYukon2.kext'

4) Download combo updaters from apple.com for both 10.5.6 and 10.5.7. This is necessary because I installed from the 10.5.0 installation DVD. The 10.5.7 updater requires that you are already running at least 10.5.4. If you installed from a newer installation DVD than I did, you could theoretically skip straight to the 10.5.7 combo updater.

Important: Once you download the combo updaters, mount both disk images and copy the combo updater .pkg file out of them and into a safe place. Remember that seatbelt.kext incompatibility with 10.5.6 I mentioned earlier? If you don't do this you'll just get a kernel panic every time you try to mount the 10.5.7 updater image from 10.5.6.

5) Install the 10.5.6 updater and reboot. Boot from the slimbuild disc again. The first time you boot the system will do some things, and then reboot on it's own. A lot of people refer to this as a failure, but it's part of the combo updater process. My genuine Mac Pro does the same thing when being updated. It's just part of the process.

Reboot the second time and you should be back at the desktop. It might take a while to boot at this point, and you won't have any network interfaces again. This is because the 10.5.6 updater overwrote your kext changes to AppleYukon2.kext.

From here you have a few things left to do and the order doesn't matter too much;

5b) Run the dsdt patcher as described in the guide. In order to get it to work, I had to use the -f flag. i.e. 'DSDT\ Patcher -f', then 'DSDT\ Patcher -f Debug/dsdt.dsl'. Copy the dsdt.aml file to /DSDT.aml and you're done.

5c) Re-patch the ethernet Yukon2 kext if you need to download something.

5d) Install the 10.5.7 combo updater.

6) Install Chameleon 2 RC1 431. This is a point-click-ship affair, all you have to do is double click the icon and hit continue a couple times. Chameleon creates a directory called /Extra off your root. The only thing that really *has* to be there to boot the vanilla 10.5.7 kernel (which is what you want) is the dsmos.kext and the injector kexts automatically installed by Chameleon. You can experiment with different kernel extensions from the EFI_Pack attached to this guide.

I myself am using;

a) the 3 injector kexts installed by Chameleon

:thumbsup_anim: dsmos.kext

c) AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext

7) Reboot your computer and enable all cores + hyperthreading in the bios. This time boot from Chameleon, just hit enter on the Apple option.

7a) You'll need to re-patch your Yukon2 kext for networking again since the 10.5.7 updater overwrote your changes. Use the touch method to update the cache and/or reboot.

7b) Install the AppleHDA.kext as per the guide for sound. You can use the touch method described earlier to bring up audio without even having to reboot.

7c) If you have problems with kexts or getting hardware to work, go to the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and add the flags -v -f to the flags section of the file. This will force chameleon to boot with -v -f when you select normal bootup. Remove those options once you have things working the way you want.

That's about it. I could go more in depth if necessary, or create a new thread I suppose with more detailed information. I learned a lot of things along the way that people might find useful. It's probably a good idea to get it documented before I forget it all.

Dan

thank you thank you thank you thank you!

between MJ and your guide, and help from irc.insanelymac im now running 10.5.7 on my rampage ii extreme with all cores, lan, etc

THANK YOUUUU and as far as a whole guide dan, yours is done, just need to add a lil more detail to step 6 and beyond (like decryptors!) after i figured out the whol dsmos thing... PWN

Actually I think having the 10.5.6 dvd is preferable. You have two options that I can see;

A) Rebuild the slimboot disc without the seatbelt.kext mod.

:) Extract the 10.5.7 combo updater .pkg with another computer/windows and put it on a USB thumb drive or burn it to a CD.

I think I will put together a full tutorial.

Huh. I installed off a 10.5.6 retail *and* installed the combo update without any issues. I did have a couple of random kernel panics and have since restored the drive to 10.5.6, but I don't think seatbelt.kext would have caused those as there weren't during dmg ops.

ok i thought i had everything going 100% or so it seemed

well i thought the mouse stuttering was just due to my wireless kb/m but alas it wasnt

and that was just the domino effect, i use a Line6 Toneport for audio as well as guitar modeling

and whenever any audio gets used whether it be youtube, guitar pro, itunes, etc it has a horible stuttering lag clip whatever you want to call it. is this a usb issue? ive done alot of searching to only have no avail. im running a Asus Rampage II Extreme, dont have the riser sound card (bought open box, just the board). and ive been using on my windows installs. i could even live with the stuttering mouse (but would be nice to fix) but the usb sound is a big problem :) does anyone have any ideas?

:)

anyone know why my PC hangs at the "waiting for root device" error when I try installing with my 10.5.6 retail disc. I am currently running my hackintosh with ideneb 1.3 where do I go from there?

To fix the mouse stuttering (I had the same issue) remove AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext. Apparently it references something in the Nvidia drivers that isn't present (or so I read) in the non EFI cards and causes the issues.

Not sure about the sound I haven't had any problems in that department at all with the described method. Make sure it's set to HD Audio in the bios.

PC specs

i7 920

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

6GB G Skill memory

Velociraptor 300gb

HD4890

I set up the bios and put the boot disc and load the boot loader.

Insert retail mac os x and press F8 then ESC and put ef

then I put dr(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk0s2

then a bunch of things load and it gets stuck on a KP

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2341/0608090846.jpg

how do i get passed this?

thanks

PC specs

i7 920

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

6GB G Skill memory

Velociraptor 300gb

HD4890

I set up the bios and put the boot disc and load the boot loader.

Insert retail mac os x and press F8 then ESC and put ef

then I put dr(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk0s2

then a bunch of things load and it gets stuck on a KP

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2341/0608090846.jpg

how do i get passed this?

thanks

If you only have 1 HDD that is SATA and 1 DVD Drive. Your HDD should be plugged to SATA 1 and your DVD Drive should be plugged into SATA 2, so then you would use "disk1s3" NOT disk0s2. then just leave it and it should begin install.

This thing is driving me mad !

It seems that i am the only one with this problem.

I followed the step by step guide from Dan Hammans.

and after I activate all cores, it stops working.

I did everything exactly like in the guide. I added the same kexts he told us to add.

But afer, when I activate all cores and boot.

everything seems okay, but after a minute or two, everything stops working.

I tried to update the kext cache of the Extra Folder.

My Specs are :

Asus P6T Deluxe

nVidia geForce 9700 GT

sata HDD 1To

6 Go Corsair 1066

Linksys Wi-Fi Card

This is a fresh install, but before this, I had a 10.5.6 system up and running, but with only one core.

I had exactly the same problem with all cores.

I tried without the wi-fi card, without the EFI string but it's everytime the same.

This thing is driving me mad !

It seems that i am the only one with this problem.

I followed the step by step guide from Dan Hammans.

and after I activate all cores, it stops working.

I did everything exactly like in the guide. I added the same kexts he told us to add.

But afer, when I activate all cores and boot.

everything seems okay, but after a minute or two, everything stops working.

I tried to update the kext cache of the Extra Folder.

My Specs are :

Asus P6T Deluxe

nVidia geForce 9700 GT

sata HDD 1To

6 Go Corsair 1066

Linksys Wi-Fi Card

This is a fresh install, but before this, I had a 10.5.6 system up and running, but with only one core.

I had exactly the same problem with all cores.

I tried without the wi-fi card, without the EFI string but it's everytime the same.

Sounds like the the DHDT Patcher is not doing what its suppose to. Try running this /DSDT\ Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl -f it seems to have worked for Jimmydigital on page 3 post 44

Hi,

Anyone have any ideas regarding the "still waiting for root device" error? I too am getting this after installing the 10.5.6 updater. I've had this issue in the past, but I think then it was due to not having a sata dvd drive, which I now have (besides which that was an install issue).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance...

Edit:

Just wanted to say that I have actually read the many posts on this error, and I'm pretty sure this isn't the usual thing. I was able to boot from the slimdisk bootiso before installing 10.5.6, so it was clearly something to do with the update and not an incompatability with my system. The only thing I changed from Dan Hammans guide was I didn't patch my lan before installing the combo update.

Thanks. I got a bit farther.

I got an error about firewire.

then its waiting for rood device.

If you only have 1 HDD that is SATA and 1 DVD Drive. Your HDD should be plugged to SATA 1 and your DVD Drive should be plugged into SATA 2, so then you would use "disk1s3" NOT disk0s2. then just leave it and it should begin install.

Hi again,

For those dealing with "still waiting for root device" issues, the problem is to do with your harddrive priority ordering. What solved the issue for me was plugging my sata hd into the #1 sata port. I also removed some connecters to esata ports, but I doubt that was the actual solution.

On a different note, I was wondering if someone could walk me through the audio fix noob style. I'm really interested in using solution #1, but I can't quite comprehend the writer's english (no offense meant). I've added the hdaenabler kext and the ad1988bhdafix kext to system/library/extensions, but he also mentions putting them in mkext format, and I don't understand how to do that, and whether the resulting file should go in extras or in system/library. Anyone willing to help me out?

Thanks in advance (and thanks to everyone on this thread for the helpful guides and advice)

Sounds like the the DHDT Patcher is not doing what its suppose to. Try running this /DSDT\ Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl -f it seems to have worked for Jimmydigital on page 3 post 44

I tried this,

It actually work for an hour, i copied 200 giga data from my old HDD, I installed iLife, but after reboot,

it crashed after a minute.

is it possible that iLife broke my DSDT patch ? (i think not)

could it be a kext that i forgot to install or remove ?

Hi again,

For those dealing with "still waiting for root device" issues, the problem is to do with your harddrive priority ordering. What solved the issue for me was plugging my sata hd into the #1 sata port. I also removed some connecters to esata ports, but I doubt that was the actual solution.

This, unfortunately, doesn't always work. And based on my own experiments (some documented in port #585), I believe there is something flaky and has nothing to do with hard drive ordering. If it was, then attempting to boot/install using the DVD's UUID would work and it never did.

I've recently found a new way to install, though what I put into post #585 works great if you have an extra HD laying around. If not, but you have a 8GB+ USB, that would work too. A bonus side-effect of the #585 install is that if you f'up your running machine (trying an update, messing around, whatever), it's an easy recover-- just copy the drive over again.

I'm currently working (ie hacking) together a USB install. BUT, it requires a running mac to create. Pretty sweet though-- partition the USB, copy the install DVD to a partiion, install Chameleon and kext, plug in the USB drive, boot off of it, and install to an internal HD!

Still Waiting for Root device...

This is totally related to hdd stuff in the bios. I ran into this problem a couple times and it was always an issue of a USB drive that I had once assigned as a HDD in the USB device configuration. I can't remember what I did to fix it but trial and error was a big part of it. The advice about getting you HDD as the first device is a good idea. That's how mine has been set up in all of my 3 successful installs on the V2 of the motherboard.

I recorded my last successful install with my video camera with it in mind to post it as a supplement to this guide. I went through all my BIOS settings and all the commands to get to a full install. I time compressed most of it but it's still pretty long. Any interest in a particlar part?

Good luck.

Still Waiting for Root device...

This is totally related to hdd stuff in the bios. I ran into this problem a couple times and it was always an issue of a USB drive that I had once assigned as a HDD in the USB device configuration. I can't remember what I did to fix it but trial and error was a big part of it. The advice about getting you HDD as the first device is a good idea. That's how mine has been set up in all of my 3 successful installs on the V2 of the motherboard.

I recorded my last successful install with my video camera with it in mind to post it as a supplement to this guide. I went through all my BIOS settings and all the commands to get to a full install. I time compressed most of it but it's still pretty long. Any interest in a particlar part?

Good luck.

Oh plz I would be more than happy.

Ok,,,, Before I ask for help I just want to say THANK YOU to OP and many contributors on this thread, and of course many others on this forum for their various guides. ;)

After 24 hours into hackintosh I already had Kalyway 10.5.2 installed and running, albeit without audio. Now I am trying to to install vanilla 10.5.6 retail following this guide and just hit a wall. :unsure:

my spec:

Core i7 920

Foxconn FlamingBlade GTI

--Onboard LAN is Realtek 8111C, this works with Kalyway 10.5.2 and retail 10.5.6 apparently without issues

--Onboard Audio is Realtek ALC888, this doesn't work yet but it's not my priority now

6GB OCZ RAM

Two hard drives and one DVD drive all in AHCI mode

MSI Radeon 4870 --Desktop resolution could only be set to 1024x768, I guess 10.5.2 does not have proper driver for Radeon 4xxx series.

My idea is to get a VANILLA leopard 10.5.6 installed and running and go from there.

Now it's my understanding that fresh 10.5.6 install doesn't need DSDT patch, correct? After I successfully turn on leopard I enabled all 4 cores and HT, I can still boot up leopard & in system profiler it shows a total number of 4 cores. Do I still need DSDT patch? What exactly does this patch do?

I followed this guide step by step until step E. After enabling all 4 cores I installed Chameleon 2 RC1 (downloaded installer) in hopes that I can boot into leopard without the boot-132 CD. For all I know Chameleon was successfully installed but my PC immediately reboots when I select leopard at start-up. I can still boot up leopard with the CD, but how can I fix this? Well it seems the kext I used to fix Radeon 4870 was blacklisted and I cannot boot into leopard anymore. ;) So this paragraph can be ignored.

Is it important for Core i7 users to upgrade to 10.5.7 as it provides better support for our hardware? I was able to install all the updates in Software Update (itunes, JAVA update, etc.) EXCEPT that big 10.5.7 package. I haven't tried it yet because I am afraid it will mess up everything.

Ok,,,, Before I ask for help I just want to say THANK YOU to OP and many contributors on this thread, and of course many others on this forum for their various guides. :D

After 24 hours into hackintosh I already had Kalyway 10.5.2 installed and running, albeit without audio. Now I am trying to to install vanilla 10.5.6 retail following this guide and just hit a wall. :(

my spec:

Core i7 920

Foxconn FlamingBlade GTI

--Onboard LAN is Realtek 8111C, this works with Kalyway 10.5.2 and retail 10.5.6 apparently without issues

--Onboard Audio is Realtek ALC888, this doesn't work yet but it's not my priority now

6GB OCZ RAM

Two hard drives and one DVD drive all in AHCI mode

MSI Radeon 4870 --Desktop resolution could only be set to 1024x768, I guess 10.5.2 does not have proper driver for Radeon 4xxx series.

My idea is to get a VANILLA leopard 10.5.6 installed and running and go from there.

Now it's my understanding that fresh 10.5.6 install doesn't need DSDT patch, correct? After I successfully turn on leopard I enabled all 4 cores and HT, I can still boot up leopard & in system profiler it shows a total number of 4 cores. Do I still need DSDT patch? What exactly does this patch do?

I followed this guide step by step until step E. After enabling all 4 cores I installed Chameleon 2 RC1 (downloaded installer) in hopes that I can boot into leopard without the boot-132 CD. For all I know Chameleon was successfully installed but my PC immediately reboots when I select leopard at start-up. I can still boot up leopard with the CD, but how can I fix this? Well it seems the kext I used to fix Radeon 4870 was blacklisted and I cannot boot into leopard anymore. :D So this paragraph can be ignored.

Is it important for Core i7 users to upgrade to 10.5.7 as it provides better support for our hardware? I was able to install all the updates in Software Update (itunes, JAVA update, etc.) EXCEPT that big 10.5.7 package. I haven't tried it yet because I am afraid it will mess up everything.

In order to run the vanilla kernel on a Core i7 system you have to upgrade to 10.5.7. The methods outlined in my earlier post actually uses the mach_kernel.voodoo until 10.5.7 is installed. This is because the i7 support wasn't built into the kernel until 10.5.7 released.

In my experience you will need to run the DSDT patcher in order to enable all cores + hyperthreading. There may be something going on in Kalyway which lets you skip this. It's also possible that there is another solution, but the only way I know how to make it work is with the DSDT patcher.

To those having problems with dsdt, make sure you that you generate a valid .aml file at the end of your process. On my board, the Rampage II Extreme I had to force it to generat a file with the -f flag as it ran into errors. Rename it to DSDT.aml (as opposed to dsdt.aml -- case sensitive apparently) and place it in the root directory.

As for the waiting for root device, I honestly never ran into this problem so I'm not entirely sure what's going on there.

My guide is almost done, I'm hoping to post it by the weekend. There is quite a bit of information and background in there. The goal was so that someone who had never messed with OSx86 could do it, and actually understand what they are doing.

Cheers,

Dan

In order to run the vanilla kernel on a Core i7 system you have to upgrade to 10.5.7. The methods outlined in my earlier post actually uses the mach_kernel.voodoo until 10.5.7 is installed. This is because the i7 support wasn't built into the kernel until 10.5.7 released.

In my experience you will need to run the DSDT patcher in order to enable all cores + hyperthreading. There may be something going on in Kalyway which lets you skip this. It's also possible that there is another solution, but the only way I know how to make it work is with the DSDT patcher.

To those having problems with dsdt, make sure you that you generate a valid .aml file at the end of your process. On my board, the Rampage II Extreme I had to force it to generat a file with the -f flag as it ran into errors. Rename it to DSDT.aml (as opposed to dsdt.aml -- case sensitive apparently) and place it in the root directory.

As for the waiting for root device, I honestly never ran into this problem so I'm not entirely sure what's going on there.

My guide is almost done, I'm hoping to post it by the weekend. There is quite a bit of information and background in there. The goal was so that someone who had never messed with OSx86 could do it, and actually understand what they are doing.

Cheers,

Dan

Oh thanks for the swift reply! I only have 10.5.6 retail DVD and my PC had a kernel panic updating to 10.5.7. But all in all I am happy with the progress I made. I have a macbook for more than a year now and even though I use terminal to do some of this some of that this OSX86 business is way beyond me..... :hysterical:

I am very close to getting a vanilla 10.5.7 now I think. HOWEVER I am stuck in something I couldn't figure out.

With 10.5.6 installed with SlimBuild CD found in this guide I installed Chameleon 2 RC1, but was unable to boot leopard in Chameleon no matter which option I chose. My PC immediately reboots if I try to boot leopard in Chameleon. So I am still using the CD to start up leopard (using voodoo kernel). What am I missing?

Now I found I CAN upgrade to 10.5.7 via Software Update. After upgrade is completed I can boot leopard in Chameleon. However the desktop is corrupt and totally unusable. I've downloaded the X58 mobo patch installer from this thread & I know the kext regarding Radeon 4870 is in it. How do I get it working, then?

For now I am leaving my rig with 10.5.6 running with voodoo kernel.