[How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7)

M J

925 posts in this topic

Pretty sure I'm using vanilla kernel. Installed from retail disk and am now using chameleon to boot. Did not copy the voodoo kernel as per MJs guide since Chameleon doesn't need it. But I'm no expert. Finder didn't find any instances of the mach_voodoo kernel so must be vanilla.

hi...

Nice to hear the your FW is working...

Vanilla kernel or voodo-kernel???

//Maxpop

If anyone is paying attention, I added some updates to the guide above to fix a few outstanding issues. Summarized here in case you're too lazy to scroll up. ;) I made my own audio fix instructions because it took awhile to figure out the original fix posters english (not MJ, but the link to the post with the fix). This should be clearer for people.

UPDATE (July 15th, 2009):

• Forget what I said about the networking above. You don't have to add the -f flag to your Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist. Simply proceed with the network fix as in Step 4 above. When you're done, download OSx86tools (an excellent tool in it's own right) and use the clear extension cache feature. Reboot and the network should still work without the -f flag.
  • The audio fix is very easy and works great. (no front panel though). Simply download this and this and use terminal to sudo copy AD2000b.HDA.FIX and HDAEnabler kexts to your /Extra/Extensions folder. You could put them in System/Library/Extensions but better to keep that clean. Use OSX86tools to clear the extension cache just to be safe, reboot and you should have sound.
  • I was getting a lot of "_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35" errors when running applications from terminal (and in the system log files). Adding this UUID.kext to the /Extra/Extensions folder fixed them all.

Alright, I just built a new machine with nearly identical hardware to smegoid's (the only difference is the disc drive, mine is a SATA HP 22x DVD+RW DL), and I get partway through the OS X install when I hit the same error:

Resetting IOCatalogue.
warning: skipping personalities in blacklisted kext com.apple.driver.AppleWSensor
warning: skipping personalities in blacklisted kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X
display: family specific matching fails
Matching service count = 0 
Matching service count = 1
localhost kextd[47]: root filesystem is read-only; skipping kernel link data generation 
localhost kextd[47]: notice - UUID of on-disk kernel (mach-kernel) does not match running kernel 
ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::initCPUCtrlLoop - pmCPUControl (PMI0CSETPSTATETABLE) returned 0x4f22000

SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, SENSE_KEY = 0x03, ASC = 0x02, ASCQ = 0x00 
disk1s3: I/O error. 
localhost kernel [0]: 
localhost kernel [0]: 
(repeat)

The last bit repeats infinitely after the first time. I have no idea what this means; I followed MJ/smegoid's guide exactly, the drive is brand new and has a clean partition on it. I'm using a retail 10.5.0 disc, same as everyone who's gotten the install to work, so what could possibly be the problem? The disc drive?

The boot from HD fix worked but I can only enable 2 cores and no hyperthreading, otherwise I get stuck at the "MAC framework initialized prompt. BTW I downgraded the BIOS y0 0402 because 0406 wasnt available on the asus website. I have the p6t deluxe.

Thanks!

i am getting a kernel error when the bootloader goes. its a black screen with a bunch of error codes i already have put it -x and -legacy to see if that would work ... no luck everything in the bios is set correctly the only thing i am not sure of is what number you have to put in here [n]

Alright, I just built a new machine with nearly identical hardware to smegoid's (the only difference is the disc drive, mine is a SATA HP 22x DVD+RW DL), and I get partway through the OS X install when I hit the same error:

The last bit repeats infinitely after the first time. I have no idea what this means; I followed MJ/smegoid's guide exactly, the drive is brand new and has a clean partition on it. I'm using a retail 10.5.0 disc, same as everyone who's gotten the install to work, so what could possibly be the problem? The disc drive?

That's very odd, I don't know what to say except try another drive. I always thought a CD-ROM hardware fail would be all or none, but when I first got this computer I installed CentOS and would get strange errors throughout the install, slow downs, problems even booting the disk. Took me awhile to realize it wasn't software voodoo but actually a buggy dvd-rom drive. Replaced for same model and this one works great. Anyhow, worth a shot, if only to eliminate the possibility.

Hey so I have a problem

Specs

i7 920, asus p6t, 6gb ram, nvidia 250gts

so when I load boot132 I get up to swapping the DVD to osx retail and when I type rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk[n]s3 (for n I tried 1 - 5) but I only have the 1 hdd installed like u recommended.... and all it does is loop and tells me to press f8 again....

any ideas and yup real osx leopard dvd

I concluded that my previous problem with the install hanging was that my Leopard disc was slightly scratched in just the wrong place... that's the only explanation I can think of.

Currently I have a working 10.5.7 system that I got with iDeneb 1.3 + combo upgrade, and I know this thread isn't about iDeneb but I'm having an issue with my ethernet (everything else seems to work)...

Per the instructions earlier in this thread, I tried this:

Fix the LAN. In a terminal type: sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Scroll down till you find <key>Yukon-88E8053</key> and change the 53 to 56 Scroll down some more and find<string>0x436211AB</string> change 62 to 64 Scroll down further and find <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA</string> change 53 to 56.

But I found that I have no such file. When I nano the above path, it just says [new file] and there's nothing there. Is the fix as simple as putting the file there, and if so could someone be kind enough to tell me everything that should be in it? ;)

Edit: After following the file path that is supposed to be edited, I discovered that I don't even have this AppleYukon2.kext. Here's the ethernet kexts I have:

Apple_DEC21x4Ethernet.kext

Apple3Com3C90x.kext

AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext

AppleGMACEthernet.kext

AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext

AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext

AppleUSBEthernet.kext

...At this point I'm beyond my understanding of how this works, but since I do indeed have an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, should I not have the same ethernet thing as the guide (Yukon)?

That's strange indeed. Same setup as myself. I'm really no expert here and defer to people with more experience. For laughs though, did you try disk0s3?

Also are you doing F8, ESC, then swapping and entering the ef string, then press enter. Are you now seeing the MAC retail disk as startup disk?

Hey so I have a problem

Specs

i7 920, asus p6t, 6gb ram, nvidia 250gts

so when I load boot132 I get up to swapping the DVD to osx retail and when I type rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk[n]s3 (for n I tried 1 - 5) but I only have the 1 hdd installed like u recommended.... and all it does is loop and tells me to press f8 again....

any ideas and yup real osx leopard dvd

It's a long shot, but maybe if you drop the AppleYukon2.kext into the appropriate place it'll work. Don't forget to force delete the extensions cache with osx86tools then reboot. It porbably has to do with using iDeneb 1.3 and them not including it for whatever reason. Regardless. Here's my kext.

I found someone's kext here. No idea if version is right for your build. But worth a shot. There might be more floating around online.

I concluded that my previous problem with the install hanging was that my Leopard disc was slightly scratched in just the wrong place... that's the only explanation I can think of.

Currently I have a working 10.5.7 system that I got with iDeneb 1.3 + combo upgrade, and I know this thread isn't about iDeneb but I'm having an issue with my ethernet (everything else seems to work)...

Per the instructions earlier in this thread, I tried this:

...At this point I'm beyond my understanding of how this works, but since I do indeed have an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, should I not have the same ethernet thing as the guide (Yukon)?

I have another interesting problem, which occurred after I stuck a PCI wireless card in -- OS X boots up past the white screen with Apple logo, but then just sits on a blue screen (which usually fades into your desktop) forever. If I hit the power button I see, for a moment, my desktop "underneath" the blue, and then the computer turns off (since I hit the power button). Needless to say this is extremely frustrating... I booted with -x -v and the same thing happened.

Unplugged the PCI card and the same thing happens, so it's just coincidental. I guess this is graphics related? Any idea how to fix it?

Edit: I fixed it by switching my monitor's DVI plug to the other port on the graphics card. How bizarre.

That's strange indeed. Same setup as myself. I'm really no expert here and defer to people with more experience. For laughs though, did you try disk0s3?

Also are you doing F8, ESC, then swapping and entering the ef string, then press enter. Are you now seeing the MAC retail disk as startup disk?

It's a long shot, but maybe if you drop the AppleYukon2.kext into the appropriate place it'll work. Don't forget to force delete the extensions cache with osx86tools then reboot. It porbably has to do with using iDeneb 1.3 and them not including it for whatever reason. Regardless. Here's my kext.

I have the standard p6t not the deluxe =( so not a kext issue ya I tried disk0s3 =( I have the same setup dvdrw in first sata and second with hdd and ahci is on and I followed the bios setting as he stated. I do see the mac retail dvd and its (1,111) so seems fine to me

basicly when I type in all the stuff the thread tells me it just rejumps back to telling to press f8 if I don't press f8 darwin starts to load the dvd then it crashes and the comp restarts.

I have the standard p6t not the deluxe =( so not a kext issue ya I tried disk0s3 =( I have the same setup dvdrw in first sata and second with hdd and ahci is on and I followed the bios setting as he stated. I do see the mac retail dvd and its (1,111) so seems fine to me

basicly when I type in all the stuff the thread tells me it just rejumps back to telling to press f8 if I don't press f8 darwin starts to load the dvd then it crashes and the comp restarts.

I'm out of tricks, but all I can suggest now is to try putting HDD in sata1 and dvd-rom in sata2. That's how I did mine.

any idea how to fix that random freeze during graphic install ?

still trying but every time I've got that freeze

(Spec)

Asus p6t deluxe v2

i920

Transcend 1x3 1333

asus Ati 4870

asus DVD

samsung 120 sata

bios 406

used slimboot and 10.5.4 and 10.5.6

thanks for any ideas.

ok after months of trying i am still getting nowhere...

for me it seems as if i have big inconsistencies every time i try...

today i tried for about 3 hours or so... results were -

install of retail 10.5.4 successful about 8 times from scratch reformatted hdd...

2 times i got from there to a bootable 10.5.4

rest got some voodoo kernel panic...

installed update from 10.5.4 to 10.5.7 and got no reboot varying errors again... doesn't seem to be a pattern except seems to do with achi....

i have tried taking the working 10.5.4 and then using digital dreamers method installing 10.5.7 onto the hard drive then installing charmeleon... adding all the kexts from the efi v3 pack and again no boot when placed back in the computer....

so right now i have nothing working and cant see a pattern as to why this is not working at all... all my hardware works perfect with windows 7.

Just finished my installation of 10.5.7 on Asus Rampage II Extreme/Core i7 920

Got to a stage where I nearly gave up, but I didnt in the end ;)

I tried two methods (both of which worked)

I installed using boot-132 method + retail DVD.

I installed using iAtkos v7 and/or iDeneb 10.5.5/10.5.6

All installation goes fine with typical bios settings

i.e SATA as AHCI and disable cores/HT.

However the easiest for me to do was:

Sort out bios settings

Install Windows (if not installed) and reboot

Boot off of distro disc (iAtkos v7 as example) using 'busratio=20 -v' flag - install leopard to HD/partition - make sure to include the right packages AND chameleon bootloader

On reboot you will get kernel panics etc, so go back to windows (you may need to insert disk and do a startup repair) and download MacDrive, browse to leopard partition and copy the kexts from this thread to the /Extra folder on root.

Reboot

Load leopard - at Darwin/Chameleon boot hit f8 and use flag 'busratio=20 -v -f' ( -f flag is not always necessary) and boot into your shiny new Leo install.

Patch your DSDT and place DSDT.aml in root of drive.

Reboot - enter BIOS and turn all cores and whatnot back on

Enjoy

Hope this helps some

PS. Sorry for the crappy guide - its late + im tired

:)

EDIT:

here's a link to the kexts you will need + patched DSDT to save you the hassle

once again, hope this helps someone with this board

DSDT.aml

http://rapidshare.com/files/259316274/dsdt...rampageiiex.zip

Kexts

http://rapidshare.com/files/259316460/Ramp...ts_nakquada.zip

If anyone needs a more detailed guide I'd be glad to assist

Good Afternoon guys

im having a 4 day 9 hours straight on each day

basically my system is

Asus P6T SE motherboard 403 bios

Intel i7 DO Stepping 2.6ghz CPU

corsair 3gb(x1) dominator memory 1666

WD 500GB Sata Hard drive

sony Sata DVD writer/reader

nvidia geforce 9400 video card

partioned windows and Mac in ACHI mode ( so basically windows boots in this mode ( so i dont have to switch over)

mac is already in journeled mode and gui partion ( from memory)

tried ideneb 10.5.6/10.5.7 with boot 132

tried boot 132 and retail ( not a copy) of leopard

tried iatkos 7 and 6 with and without boot 132

tried reading and following the other asus mobo posts/guides

ive done the change of cores ht disabled done the you tube videos

nearly everything under the sun...ive even started to get a twitch under my left eye so i know im kinda overdoing it lol

basically on each attempt it installs but its when im booting i have problems

ive mailed people who have the same mobo but they say to search and believe me i have

from 12pm -4 am (im on holiday at the moment)

thanks in advance for your assistance :star_smile:

Can you be more specific about the problems you're having?

Good Afternoon guys

im having a 4 day 9 hours straight on each day

basically my system is

Asus P6T SE motherboard 403 bios

Intel i7 DO Stepping 2.6ghz CPU

corsair 3gb(x1) dominator memory 1666

WD 500GB Sata Hard drive

sony Sata DVD writer/reader

nvidia geforce 9400 video card

partioned windows and Mac in ACHI mode ( so basically windows boots in this mode ( so i dont have to switch over)

mac is already in journeled mode and gui partion ( from memory)

tried ideneb 10.5.6/10.5.7 with boot 132

tried boot 132 and retail ( not a copy) of leopard

tried iatkos 7 and 6 with and without boot 132

tried reading and following the other asus mobo posts/guides

ive done the change of cores ht disabled done the you tube videos

nearly everything under the sun...ive even started to get a twitch under my left eye so i know im kinda overdoing it lol

basically on each attempt it installs but its when im booting i have problems

ive mailed people who have the same mobo but they say to search and believe me i have

from 12pm -4 am (im on holiday at the moment)

thanks in advance for your assistance :star_smile:

P6T SE bios 406 as in copy of post

seems to be two issues first is with idenib 10.5.5 it instals and then doesnt bot after installation

the same withthe other idenib10.5.6

the iatkos dosent want to boot even with bot 132 provided to smart and stupid ( i think that his name)

ive only just been advised to use chamelion but im like woah what do i do whatt the files.....

and then found this

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1210724

but dont know what to do with the files thanks in advance

oh and i have a retail version of 10.5 so i know its not the disk its gotta be the boot loader ( i presume)

many thanks

Not sure if anyone else is seeing these problems as I haven't seen any related posts, but just in case:

Attempting to setup Time Machine to back up to a NAS gave me the following error:

"built-in network interface not found"

Also, running sudo (and several other misc commands from the command line) gave me the following error:

"_CFGetHostUUIDString: Unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35"

Both of these are related. The UUID for the host is built using the built-in network interfaces MAC address.

Checking /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist you'll see something like:

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Interfaces</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>Active</key>

<true/>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en0</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

Obviously the 'false' above is the issue. Research on insanelymac shows alot of posts of people removing this file, rebooting and similar to fix.

I tried changing it manually from false to true but it looks as though this file is rebuilt on every boot as the flag was always reset back to false after reboot.

Additional research showed another way, modifying com.apple.Boot.plist, which should now exist in your EFI partition.

Using OSX86Tools, you need to create a device-properties to tell the kernel the network interface is built-in. Run OSX86Tools, click on 'Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag', click on 'Ethernet Strings' and then copy the device-properties hex string into your com.apple.Boot.plist.

In my case, I already had a device-properties defined for my video card. I don't believe you can have two (didn't work for me), so instead you need to merge the two hex strings together. I no longer had the plist version of my video card, but you can use OSX86Tools to convert from hex back to plist. Or better yet, you can use it to simply merge the two hex strings together. Then, copy that merged string into your com.apple.Boot.plist.

Reboot, double check that false is now true in the NetworkInterfaces.plist file, and your good to go.

Hey guys, I modified a VoodooHDA kext for the p6t deluxe / deluxe v2

Basically, just fixed the default front panel mic input volume.

On this one we have upmixed stereo output (outputs to all speakers if installed, but not true surround)

as well as proper front mic input and front panel stereo output.

no rear mic or rear line-in at this moment.

Try it yourself, I think it works really well.

Download Below

VoodooHDA.kext.zip