[How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7)

M J

925 posts in this topic

<br />For some reason, the kernel can't find neither my 10.5.6 install dvd or my 10.5.6 updated install. The install works fine if I put my 10.5.0 install dvd in. <br /><br />I get through the whole setup I even get everything working. Things stop working right after I update to 10.5.6 I get stuck at the "waiting for root device" Tried boot a copy of leo 10.5.6 and installing from that but Kernel "still waiting for root device" .<br /><br /> I even used the UUID to boot and it only boots when I hook up my external dvd. However after I get to the install screen I can't find my HDD's. I have AHCI enabled for any1 wondering . <br /><br />so to summarize: <br /><br />10.5.0 DVD works <br />10.5.0 Install works<br />10.5.6 dvd doesn't work <br />10.5.6 updated from 10.5.0 doens't work <br />10.5.6 on an external dvd works fine can't find HDD's after. <br /><br />My guess: <br /><br />Kernel somehow someway won't see the hdd's or my sata dvd if I am on 10.5.6 anything. <br /><br /><br />What I have:<br /><br />ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboar bios updated to latest with an Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz<br /><br />12gigs ram<br /><br />2 sata HDD's and a sata dvd drive.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hmm...Ok I found out from various trial and errors that the 10.5.6 Disc works fine but you have to make sure you have it burned on a Varbatim - DVD in order for it to a better chance of installing. Also the DVD Drive that you use to install it makes a very big difference (try all the DVD drives that you have) In my experience only a HP DL DVD Drive would actually launch the disc without Kernel errors.

Would it help everyone if i make a image of a fresh install on my Asus P6T Deluxe of 10.5.7 ? Then all you would have to do is restore and install your Graphics drivers?

<br /><br /><br />

Hmm...Ok I found out from various trial and errors that the 10.5.6 Disc works fine but you have to make sure you have it burned on a Varbatim - DVD in order for it to a better chance of installing. Also the DVD Drive that you use to install it makes a very big difference (try all the DVD drives that you have) In my experience only a HP DL DVD Drive would actually launch the disc without Kernel errors.

Would it help everyone if i make a image of a fresh install on my Asus P6T Deluxe of 10.5.7 ? Then all you would have to do is restore and install your Graphics drivers?

how would that work????

<br /><br /><br />

CAN YOU DO THAT? Oh it would save me a lot of headache

I have the same mobo - asus P6T DLX and CPU i7920, RAM 6Gb=2GB Corsar x3, Nvidia Geforce8800GT1Gb. I couldn't install the MAC OS. The KP happened. What I have to do?

BIOS state before I tried is the same as need.

First device - HDD(SATA, AHCI), second - DVD/RW (SATA)

my string when i see MAC OS X installation DVD: rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk1s3

I tried to write: disk0s3 and exclude busratio=20, but no happy.

Before I successfully instaled iDeneb 10.5.5 on this configuration.

post-212466-1245583341_thumb.jpg

I have the same mobo - asus P6T DLX and CPU i7920, RAM 6Gb=2GB Corsar x3, Nvidia Geforce8800GT1Gb. I couldn't install the MAC OS. The KP happened. What I have to do?

BIOS state before I tried is the same as need.

First device - HDD(SATA, AHCI), second - DVD/RW (SATA)

my string when i see MAC OS X installation DVD: rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk1s3

I tried to write: disk0s3 and exclude busratio=20, but no happy.

Before I successfully instaled iDeneb 10.5.5 on this configuration.

have you turned off all extra cores for the installation?

The last installment of the installation videos. Part 4.

This covers the lan configuration and the Bios mods before the first newly configured reboot.

It does not cover the audio kext. I didn't get it working and don't plan on using it since I have another audio interface I am using.

On a side note I have been trying to build a second version of this system and have gotten 3 DOA P6T Deluxe V2 motherboards from two different sources. What is up with that? Out of 4 boards I've had only one (the very first) that worked. I've checked all the other components and they work in another system. I'm worried that these motherboards are junk and that mine could fail at any moment. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem.

The last installment of the installation videos. Part 4.

This covers the lan configuration and the Bios mods before the first newly configured reboot.

It does not cover the audio kext. I didn't get it working and don't plan on using it since I have another audio interface I am using.

On a side note I have been trying to build a second version of this system and have gotten 3 DOA P6T Deluxe V2 motherboards from two different sources. What is up with that? Out of 4 boards I've had only one (the very first) that worked. I've checked all the other components and they work in another system. I'm worried that these motherboards are junk and that mine could fail at any moment. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Thanks !!!!!

With these videos are finally able to configure and make running Retail Leopard 10.5.5 on my ASUS P6T deluxe. Useful for people who like me is not familiar with this operating system.

The EFI partition is working perfectly!

The two LAN interfaces too!

thx! Guyz!

Gents,

Do you need the smbios.plist file in the /Extra directory to get the appropriate SDRAM speed and FSB? If so, can someone post their smbio.plist for the Asus P6T Delux V2?

BTW, thanks for all the tutorials. I've got 10.5.7 running perfectly except I don't think I'm getting the full performance of my P6T Deluxe V2 w/ 1600 MHz RAM. I'm getting 8200 with Geekbench and 170s with xbench.

*********** UPDATE 3 *****************

Successfully installed, now I just have a problem, after adding stuff to EFI boot partition, my com.apple.Boot.plist is not processed and the boot stalls because the mach_kernel.voodoo from EFI partition is not loaded.

The only way to bypass this is writing the command line: "bt(0,0)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20" every time I want to boot.

Any suggestion?

*********** UPDATE 2 *****************

Two nights without sleep and another step :)

Got my working boot iso but the AppleVIAATA.kext has a bug with machines with more than 2gb of ram.

To bypass this problem and the panic "getPhysicalSegment() out of 32b range", you pass the following commands in the darwin boot cd:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo maxmem=2048 busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk1s3

download my iso here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/250159841/BOOT-iComputer.v1-voodoo.v9.5.0.rar

hope this help someone :D

*********** UPDATE *****************

After several hours reading and testing, and reading, and testing!

I saw the light!!!!

Yes, I understood my problem, the kernel was unable to detect the source IDE DVD because is behind PATA adapter (Marvell 88SE6111). No doubt, you can try every combination of rd=diskXsY and you will always see the devil message: "still waiting root device"

I decided to try one last option: cooking a boot132 iso with driver for my board AppleVIAATA.kext

And definitely it works, one step done in this long journey :)

If I can help someone, just PM me and I will upload my Boot132 iso.

Hello, I got errors booting "Asus P6T Deluxe Boot-132 v3" cd, it gives a checksum error.

Anyone found this problem?

The weird part is that the same CD boots inside vmware...

Another question:

I have an ASUS p6T Deluxe (not V2) it should work too? YES IT WORKS!!!

Another problem I found is that my CDROM is IDE and not SATA, what should I type in rd=diskXsY when using a single HDD?

Gents,

Do you need the smbios.plist file in the /Extra directory to get the appropriate SDRAM speed and FSB? If so, can someone post their smbio.plist for the Asus P6T Delux V2?

BTW, thanks for all the tutorials. I've got 10.5.7 running perfectly except I don't think I'm getting the full performance of my P6T Deluxe V2 w/ 1600 MHz RAM. I'm getting 8200 with Geekbench and 170s with xbench.

This is what is now installed on my test/dev system that seems to be working and improved xbench and geekbench scores (still need to add mem details):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosvendor</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>IM91.88Z.008D.B08.0904271717</string> (this must match your SMproductname)

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro3,1</string>

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string> (I don't know if there are other possible values than 1.0)

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>nnnnnnnnnnn</string> (insert valid 11 character serial here if you have one)

<key>SMfamily</key>

<string>Macpro</string> (this must match your SMproductname)

<key>SMboardmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>  (put Apple Computer, Inc. if you're setting MacPro values)

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string> (this must match your SMproductname)

<key>SMexternalclock</key>

<string>133</string> (your true CPU FSB, ie non-"quad pumped")

<key>SMmaximalclock</key>

<string>2800</string> (CPU freq in MHz)

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>24</string>

<key>SMmemspeed</key>

<string>1600</string> (RAM freq in MHz)

<key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>

<string>Kingston Technology</string> (OCZ, Geil, whatever, the name of your cat, dog or parrot..)

<key>SMmemmanufacter_3</key>

<string>Kingston Technology</string> (...pet rabbit names causes system crashes, use with caution!)

<key>SMmempart_1</key>

<string>KHX8500D2/1GN</string> (your RAM manufacturer will have this info on their website...)

<key>SMmempart_3</key>

<string>KHX8500D2/1GN</string> (...for example in a .pdf datasheet for your RAM)

<key>SMmemserial_1</key>

<string>nnnnnnnn</string> (insert valid serials here if you have them)

<key>SMmemserial_3</key>

<string>nnnnnnnn</string> (You can get the serials with CPU-Z under Windows)

</dict>

</plist>

hei u guys,

i hope someone can help. it is probably nothing. so i installed everything and everything except audio is working, but my lan only works when i start with -v -f. it's booting perfectly when i just hit enter ( without -v -f ) but then i have no lan?? how can this be? didi i forget something? because like i said before, when i type -v -f it's working perfectly??!!

thanks for your help guys...

When I got to the part when I have to reboot and enable all cores it stops at this message while booting.

warning: skipping personalities in blacklisted kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X

What did I do wrong? I havent stolen Mac OS X, thats for sure :(

D. [reboot into your system]

1. When the system reboots at the end of the installation process, put the CD back in. Again, if you are asked press [F8]. At the darwin prompt press [ESC], write 80 and press [ENTER]. Then type rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk0s2. As stated above, substitute busratio=20 with the suitable number for your processor.

2. Follow the configuration process and boot into your newly installed Vanilla Leopard!

When I typed in rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk0s2 it just did a few lines and then it went back to the prompt. It wasn't accepting it?

Are all of these commands safe? I currently have Windows 7 and Ubuntu on here, I don't feel like reinstalling what took days to set up. It would be better if the tutorial explained what everything does.

Hi all, nice thread...

I'm trying to install Retail Leopard on Asus P6T SE (core i7 920)

The installation goes fine and according to the MJ's remarks up unitl the moment when I enter the welcome screen. I choose the language and then it hangs. I'm not being able to choose the disk utility or to continue with the installation process? Any ideas?

Do you think it's the instalation DVD?

I'm using a 10.5.6 Retail version burned to a Double Layer DVD?

Maybe I should use a 10.5.4 Retail?

Or maybe it's the DVD itself? It's Verbatim DVD DL+R?

Can someone help?

Hi all, nice thread...

I'm trying to install Retail Leopard on Asus P6T SE (core i7 920)

The installation goes fine and according to the MJ's remarks up unitl the moment when I enter the welcome screen. I choose the language and then it hangs. I'm not being able to choose the disk utility or to continue with the installation process? Any ideas?

Do you think it's the instalation DVD?

I'm using a 10.5.6 Retail version burned to a Double Layer DVD?

Maybe I should use a 10.5.4 Retail?

Or maybe it's the DVD itself? It's Verbatim DVD DL+R?

Can someone help?

That is definitely the disc you are using I had the same issue at first till I got a hold of a retail disc.

That is definitely the disc you are using I had the same issue at first till I got a hold of a retail disc.

UPDATE: It's definitely the combination of the DVD burner, the MEDIUM and the VERSION of the OSX Retail. I just managed to go a bit further after I used Maxell DVD+R DL and 10.5.4 Retail burned on my Macbook at 2.4 speed, but it got stuck just when I tried to format my disk. Can you tell me what combination worked for you?

Hey man thanks for the effort.

I tried with Memorex DVD+R DL, but I got stuck at the same moment. (With 10.5.6 Retail)

What DVD did you use? The original Retail? I heard that Sony DVDs are the most reliable, but I cannot find on at the moment...

Also, can you tell me which Retail version did you use?

I tried also 10.5.4, but it didn't even enter the GUI installer. It hangs very long.

Thanks again,

neonized

Just got the mobo like 2 days ago. I installed fine using the bios setting provided, however when I go to boot the installed OS, I get to Darwin and after that point the PC reboots. Doesn't matter Diagnostic/Verbose. :thumbsdown_anim: