Vista Installed

AirmanPika

203 posts in this topic

I have XP Pro and then installed Vista 5728 and I couldnt boot up XP Pro so I erased the vista partition and XP Pro booted fine

Hello guys, I don't know if it's the right place to ask this kind of question but I'll try anyway:

I have 64bit Imac (core 2 duo), with xp working fine through Boot Camp, and don't know if I should install Vista 64bit over it or the 32bit one. Anybody tried yet?

although it would be possible to use the 64 bit version, i would recommned using the 32 bit one for now. there are more problems with drivers with 64 bit in general, and this is likely to be made worse with vista not being in final release yet. with the final release i would use the 64 bit, but for now, stick to 32, it should be more reliable. then again, if you are up to some possible trouble and you don't care if it is completely usable, go for the 64 bit version, it's newer technology and you're lucky that you are able to take advantage of it.

I just installed 5728 on my MacBook last night. I'm really imressed on how well Vista runs on my Mac. It's exceptionally speedy and I get Aero. The only downside to using Vista instead of XP is that the iSight drivers and the Eject button driver doesn't work. Now if only Apple could make a driver for the IR sensor so that I could use Media Center. :)

really, i'm getting full keyboard support with 5728...although i'm using the apple keyboard, i have a mini. i wouldn't think there would be that much of a difference though. only thing that confused me for a while was that instead of "num lock", i have to hit the "clear" button. took me a few days to figure that one out, and it was only by accident. i'm still having trouble with my graphics card, in 5600 it loaded fine and i had aero, but it won't work in this build. the only thing that loaded off the disc was keyboard support.

has anyone managed to upgrade a bootcamp copy of xp sp2 to vista.

i have installed from scratch in the past, but now my xp partition on my macbook pro has all my work stuff (they force us to use lotus notes, and some of our software is windows only) and I dont want to blat it.

every time i attempt an upgrade i get an error saying that the installer encountered and unexpected error. code 0x0.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering, if I get a iMac Intel CD 2 does it run Vista with the 3d effects and transparent windows? As currently my computer's graphics card just can't handle transparent effects (althrough Glass2K worked fine in XP).

I have an Intel iMac 17inch, tried to install Vista from the disc but during the install when selecting the parition I want to to install to (a windows partition made with bootcamp) it gives me a message saying it isn't a valid boot disk because my hardware doesn't support booting from this disk and tells me to enable the disk controller in the BIOS. Any ideas/anyone with similar issues?

I have an Intel iMac 17inch, tried to install Vista from the disc but during the install when selecting the parition I want to to install to (a windows partition made with bootcamp) it gives me a message saying it isn't a valid boot disk because my hardware doesn't support booting from this disk and tells me to enable the disk controller in the BIOS. Any ideas/anyone with similar issues?

I'm having the same problem on my Mac Pro. I used bootcamp to create a 15GB partition and then loaded the Vista disc and when I select the partition, it tells me, "This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

I've tried it with Vista RC1 and RC2, and both give me the same error.

Can anyone help us figure this out?

If you are not able to install because Vista doesn't let you choose the partition:

Choose the partition that you want to install to (make sure that you choose the correct one or else you'll lose everything else!)

Format the partition

Restart the computer right back into the Vista installer

and away you go.

No deleting the EFI 200mb partition or anything.

(This is with build 5600, 32bit)

I've installed Vista RC1 on my 17" iMac, and even got iSight working, but I want a way to be able to read and write files from at least one of the OSes. (eg, read and write to the Vista Partition from OSX, or read and write to the OSX partition from Vista). MacDrive doesnt work, and OSX can't write to NTFS. You cant install Vista to FAT partitions, so im at a loss. At the moment I share things to a second computer, so both OSes can access it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a bit of a problem.

I am running Mac OS X 10.4.8 on my Mac Pro. And Boot Camp 1.1.2

Today I installed Vista RTM onto a partition on my Mac. Everything worked fine (I ran the update from within XP, but chose clean install).

The OS installed without any problems and works really well.

Only problem is, I can't boot back into Mac OS. I downloaded the Firmware reset tool from Apple, but the firmware wont even recognise the CD to restore itself - its like Vista has put its own EFI on there and I can't get it to see the Mac OS. Tried Option, etc. tried disconnecting the Vista HD.

Help - ran out of ideas and google cant help either. How can I get my Mac Pro original EFI back?

Jon

Hi guys!

I'd like to give Windows Vista a whirl. I did not think it was released until 2007 sometime. How are you guys able to install it already? Is there some beta download floating around? If yes, where can I go to get it.

I just bought a new Mac Pro and absolutely love it. I still long for Windows though. Mostly because I've invested thousands of dollars into Windows software. Until I migrate everything to the Mac, I still need the Windows operating system. It will take a few years I would guess to get completely switched over.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin.

Haven't read all of the replies but i was able to get OS X and Vista installed as a dual boot on my MacBook and Imac. All I did was install XP using bootcamp and upgraded to Vista using the CD's once xp was up. Worked like a charm.

Both operating systems look and run great on both machines. Have to admit Windows is lookin more and more Mac every time i use it! But that's not a bad thing!

• 2 weeks later...
Haven't read all of the replies but i was able to get OS X and Vista installed as a dual boot on my MacBook and Imac. All I did was install XP using bootcamp and upgraded to Vista using the CD's once xp was up. Worked like a charm.

Both operating systems look and run great on both machines. Have to admit Windows is lookin more and more Mac every time i use it! But that's not a bad thing!

By upgrading from XP SP2 works? Ah thanks pal!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there!

I've read the thread, but I have a small question:

Is it possible or not to keep the windows Vista And MacOSX on a MacBook Pro with the BootCamp?

I'm thinking on buying a Mac, but I really need windows vista to develop on DirectX10.

thanks!

How can you test DX10 new features on a DX10 uncapable machine?

Hi there!

I've read the thread, but I have a small question:

Is it possible or not to keep the windows Vista And MacOSX on a MacBook Pro with the BootCamp?

I'm thinking on buying a Mac, but I really need windows vista to develop on DirectX10.

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. I successfully got Vista RC1 to run on my MacBook standard, and even got the Aero Glass theme to work by installing the Intel GMA driver, but I still can't get my WiFi to work. Does anyone know of any drivers I need to install in order to get it to work? Or would the problem be alleviated if I installed Vista RTM? Thanks.

Just a question. Who would want to run Vista on a mac anyway. With NSA really helping out with the security (insecurity) I'm not touching Vista unless I have to. I know NSA has had it's hands in Windows since Windows 98 but they had a huge hand in Vista.

I ran vista for a little bit and removed it..... I see no need for the pretty interface. I'll take OS X and Windows XP with a few custom hacks to make the interface better. Nothing has convinced me that I'll even want to put vista on a machine. If it wasn't for games I probably wouldn't even be using Windows XP... I"d be using Linux and OS X.....

Magicman