Vista Installed

AirmanPika

203 posts in this topic

The Apple installer for XP is one ".exe" file. Since it stops with an error with the first driver, is there somebody who would know how to open the installer and extract individual drivers files in order to do a manual install, one by one?

Again THIS is why we need a WIKI!!!!!

If we had a wiki with a vista section we would have fewer pointless questions because they could look it up themselves. Please for the love of god make a Vista Secion in the Wiki!!!

I Beg you PLEASE!!

Extracting drivers using "/V /a" with the installer works on Vista too; no need to do it on XP. The only things I needed of it were the brightness control, CD eject, and sound. Wireless with 5456 is available thru a Windows Update.

Wow, this thread has moved on quite a bit since I posted my original instructions.

I've had quite a few people PMing me with "help help help!"-related messages, so I really must emphasize how much this is not for the faint-hearted.

My understanding of exactly how MBR and GPT are co-existing has moved on a long way since my original posts. Some of my assumptions were incorrect (although not in a way to cause damage, so don't worry...), and I now have a complete understanding of what was causing some of the partition numbering issues. The wiki will be updated very soon(ish).

And I agree that a Vista section would be smart...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I just bought my first Mac 2 days ago, and I just love it.!

Then, I got my hands on a Vista RC1 and installed it using boot camp. All went well, including the preservation of dual boot setup, WITHOUT any mbr mods.

But, man, I just can't the video drivers installed correctly. Any ideas?

Mackook, 2.0,white.

I do an install with bootcamp and Vista RC1, like i do with xp.

I don't delete the efi partition and install on the partition created with bootcamp

No errors during install.

After installing extracting drivers ...

i was unable to select the boot drive with the control panel.

error with administrative rights despite i was administrator.

so i used the first DVD of tiger and use it too change the startup.

then everything is ok with tiger. i can change the startup to use vista using the startup disk selector.

but i'm always unable to change the startup under vista.

the only way i found was to boot with tiger dvd to do this.

If someone as a solution i'll take it gratefull.

use the setup install in folder "program files\sigmatel041"

I tried that. But I still have a red x on the speaker in the tray and no sound. :(

though my directory was only SigmaTel. It didn't have the 041 on the end. Am I missing something?

Also device manager shows SigmaTel High Definintion Audio Codec.

I have two devices with exclamation marks. USB Human Interface Device and a Performance Counters device listed...

hi,

got my new mac pro two days ago, installled the new apple firmware, installed bootcamp 1.1.1, then downloaded vista_rc1_5600 64bit version, made an installation-dvd with toaster and tried to install on my 50gb partition as it was described in this forum on page 5 by SashiNet and Brandon Live in july ?:

...delete the 200mb efi? partition,

format the xp-partition (in my case the 50gb partition) and then

choose it to install vista on it. yeah, sounds easy but it didn't work out for me.

what i don't understand is e.g. that before it will start to install, it asks for drivers (i suppose the vista installer wants the drivers burned on the cd with bootcamp) but when the installer dvd is inside i cannot remove it in order to put in the "bootcamp-driver-cd"... then i tried with a usb-stick, but no success, the installer doesn't recognize the drivers on the usb-flash-driver... beside that when i choose the xp-partition to install vista, there is the information: the disc is not prepared for such an installation (sorry, i don't remember the exact words, because i am installing in german, could the language be the problem with the installation:)

is there someone else with a similar problem, is it because of the new firmware? i am pretty confused... i will try now one more time. when i restart with option-key pushed, i see two boot harddrives (mac and vista) and the vista-installer-dvd. choosing the vista-boot will end in some error-message and with booting the dvd i will not get the promised repair-option (sth. that was also described here in the forum)... beside that the bootcamp assistant now tells me that the startvolume can either be partitioned nor reconstructed...

cheers, tiburcio

I tried that. But I still have a red x on the speaker in the tray and no sound. :(

though my directory was only SigmaTel. It didn't have the 041 on the end. Am I missing something?

Also device manager shows SigmaTel High Definintion Audio Codec.

I have two devices with exclamation marks. USB Human Interface Device and a Performance Counters device listed...

Anyone have any further thoughts on getting the sound working?

ok, finally it worked out. after two blue error messages when i had to shut down my mac and after i said to myself, delay it for the next week, i switched it on this morning and the installation went on into its final steps... but while installing the macintosh drivers (xp-drivers!) i got the message from vista that there was a huge error ? it was also fatal to try the standby-button (which looks like a shut-down-button, because it's about the details that distinguish a very good graphical userface from a satisfying one:) because my baby wouldn't wake up and taking pains still trying:)

first impression: i've never seen such a good plagiarism before (ok the apple guys also steel sometimes:), e.g. wasn't it sun that gave us some impressions how a modern gui could look like 4 years ago (i'm not sure about the accurate date:) when they presented effects like transparency in overlapping windows and how to deposit windows and files in 3d space in order to save some space (ok, and apple took the idea to flip windows to put some functions on their back, like dashboard does)... i must say the aero glass effect is quite impressive and at least on my mac pro it feels very fluent. what is the biggest weakness in that gui is that it's overcrowded with effects and the navigation elements seem not to follow a grid consistently, at least it seems like that...

cheers, tiburcio

I just installed 5728 on my MacBook last night. I'm really imressed on how well Vista runs on my Mac. It's exceptionally speedy and I get Aero. The only downside to using Vista instead of XP is that the iSight drivers and the Eject button driver doesn't work. Now if only Apple could make a driver for the IR sensor so that I could use Media Center. :)