Vista Installed

AirmanPika

203 posts in this topic

I've tried the suggestion to reinstate the EFI partition (twice even) and both have hosed my partition tables.

It seems more than just deleting the EFI partition that makes Vista work. Vista changes the partition scheme from guid_partition_scheme to fdisk_partition_scheme, which renders the disk useless to install OS X on. Disk Utility has the option of choosing which partition scheme you want on the disk when choosing how many partitions you want to create. HOWEVER, the Disk Utility on the OS X installation CD may not have it. The only way to make your hard drive OS X-installable is to Erase the entire harddisk. This will make the partition scheme guid by default Details found here http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303220

Instead of using the method prescribed by alexoughton I did

dd if=/dev/disk0 of=/Volumes/iPod/backup.bin bs=512 count=409600

to save an 'image' of the first 409600 sectors, which was the partition table scheme as well as the EFI partition. The last number will vary as I've noticed it being 409606 on one try. Best best is to use gpt show /dev/disk0 to see where your EFI partition ends.

Anyway I did dd before installing Vista and after installing Vista and I notice that it changes the partition table scheme. I think this is the problem that can't be solved by reinstating the EFI partition. I reverted the partition table scheme back to pre-Vista install (guid) but it means that the Windows installation cannot be booted from.

I need some extra info to see if that is this is a problem. Can someone running Bootcamp + XP please check what partition scheme they are using? Just run Disk Utility, select the disk that has OSX/XP installed (not the partitions but the disk) and get Info. It's the entry under Partition Type.

Thanks.

Looks like Windows XP still uses GUI_partition_scheme so it's something that only Windows Vista changes (and this is before repairing the installation after deleting the EFI partition)

i got the dual boot to work on my mac book pro, i deleted the 200mb partition then installed vista, i had a few driver problems but I put in the drivers cd that boot camp made for xp and loaded the drivers and WHALLA! everything runs great, I am installing office 2007 as we speak, vista is cool but still isnt close to as awesome as os x tiger. If anyone has any questions post em up'

Hosing the disk isn't necessary to fix all that. Use fdisk (in OS X) to change partition 1 (efi) to type EE (protected MBR). This prevents Vista from booting, but it allows you run Boot Camp and remove the windows partition if need be.

To run Vista again you must change the EFI partition type to 00 (disabled).

(The EFI partition should start at 1, and be 409639 in size. You'll see what I mean in fdisk)

Let me see if I get this right then grabberslasher, in order to run Vista one has to disable the EFI partition? And if one wants to delete Vista and restore the Vista partition back to one HFS partition then one has to re-enable the EFI partition? The EFI partition and Vista cannot co-exist in a Mac system?

When I try to install, I get this message at 31% of "copying files": "An error occurred while copying Setup files onto your local machine. Error code is [80070017]".

Did I do something wrong?

kvitske

Hello everyone, i'm new here.

I have the same problem at 90% on my iMac...I tried to delete the EFI partition with the gpt utility and also with the vista installer, but nothing changes...I also tried to fix it by the dos prompt in the repair section, but nothing...does anyone know how to fix this? (I'm using the public beta, build 5384)

Thanks!

I am getting the same 80070017 error. This is driving me mad!

Anyone have any ideas? Other Windows forums are saying that this implies i cannot install from this disc, but thats not particularily useful.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I am getting the same 80070017 error. This is driving me mad!

Anyone have any ideas? Other Windows forums are saying that this implies i cannot install from this disc, but thats not particularily useful.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

On the msdn forums they say it's because the dvd goes too much fast ( :poster_oops: )

maybe they mean it has been burnt too much quickly...

edit: maybe an update installation from xp will be easier...i read somewhere that it is possible by deleting the efi partition

I've just tried setting my EFI partition to disabled as described by GrabberSlasher - (fdisk and setpid) and it works perfectly.

No Vista boot errors at all during install. Typing this reply on my iMac running Vista!

RichBUK

Would Vista still change the partition scheme, if you used the XP install disk to format the drive, but cancelled the install before it began copying files to the drive? Then you would have a blank NTFS drive, and vista could start copying files over right away.

Or do you HAVE to format the drive with the vista install?

If you could do it this way, then you could use GPT to either remove / add or enable/disable the EFI Partition as and when you needed it, in theory.

Just a few ideas.

Regards

• 4 weeks later...
i got the dual boot to work on my mac book pro, i deleted the 200mb partition then installed vista, i had a few driver problems but I put in the drivers cd that boot camp made for xp and loaded the drivers and WHALLA! everything runs great, I am installing office 2007 as we speak, vista is cool but still isnt close to as awesome as os x tiger. If anyone has any questions post em up'

I installed Vista like you said and it is working fine. I connect to Internet using Airport and did Windows update.

I use the REMAKEY to map the rigth Apple key to DELETE key, this is useful.

Now I want to install in Vista the Apple drivers for XP.

The problem is the Apple BootCamp driver installer CD will give me a -1603 error and rollback, so no driver at all is installed because of a problem.

I wonder if the Apple cd work fine for you and if there is a way to extract individual drivers?

Thanks for your help,

Luca

This is my question: how can I extract the drivers in Windows?

Thanks

The Apple installer for XP is one ".exe" file. Since it stops with an error with the first driver, is there somebody who would know how to open the installer and extract individual drivers files in order to do a manual install, one by one?

the secret is so simple, it's called reading. it is even written in this thread, one or two pages before:

quote on

you can extract the contents of the InstallShield by using AppleBootcamp.exe /V /a on any XP machine

quote off

i really don't see where the problem is, cause i got eject button, video, audio, bluetooth and stuff working just by reading a few posts in this forum but still people are asking the same questions over and over again and i really wonder why.