Vista Installed

AirmanPika

203 posts in this topic

Wondering if someone could help...

I was trying to install Vista on my Macbook. I deleted the 200mb efi partition, then tried to install Vista on the 9gb partition i used for XP. The installation starts, then says something like, "Installation couldn't locate a locally attached harddrive for set-up," or something, then I have to restart the computer to do anything.

When I try again, the same thing happens.

Any ideas?

Wondering if someone could help...

I was trying to install Vista on my Macbook. I deleted the 200mb efi partition, then tried to install Vista on the 9gb partition i used for XP. The installation starts, then says something like, "Installation couldn't locate a locally attached harddrive for set-up," or something, then I have to restart the computer to do anything.

When I try again, the same thing happens.

Any ideas?

did you reformat the partition?

i just did an upgrade while i was booted in xp..

Hey everyone,

First off, I forget who it was that posted originally, but on my MBP the easiest way was to install everything through Vista. Use Boot Camp to make the XP partition, then boot the Vista DVD. Use it to delete the EFI partition, its the 200mb one, hit yet, then format the XP partition and choose that to install Vista on. It takes like 40 minutes or so and will reboot. Make sure you hold option and select the Windows partition, and you'll get an error about winload.exe. Like the last person suggested, boot off the Vista DVD, and choose recovery options. It will detect Vista and say there's a problem that it will fix. Hit yet and it will reboot. Vista reboots like 5 times but after that, you're up and running.

Glass works right away on the MBP. But I have to say to those trying to get it on other systems, IT IS SO UGLY! I thought it would be way better, I honestly had to double check because I didn't even think I had it turned on. Also that Flip-3D is a joke, all the edges are jagged and its useless. Trust me, no one is missing out not having glass.

Even though I'm a Mac diehard, I will say that I think Vista is attractive, with Glass anyway. I got it installed on my iMac, and it runs very well, not to mention it's a joy to look @. (M$ always has the best wallpaper too :blink: ) Their biggest downside, and the feature they have the most to work on, is the security. Security windows popup for any little action, whether installing something, opening something or even putting something in the trash. It looks cool (the screen fades to a translucent black and the security windows fades in) but it gets annoying when you have to do it every other minute (literally.) So, I think they have a great os on their hands if they can clean it up some... Just makes me salivate over the thought of Leopard tho...

"There is one item here worth pointing out. Notice the "Aero capable" video card recommendation listed above. This specifies a DirectX 9-compliant 3D video card that supports a technology called Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware and includes a new Windows Device Driver Model (WDDM) driver. Before you get too nervous about those requirements, we're basically talking about every 3D video card on the market today. And there's even one integrated graphics chipset--the Intel GMA 950--that fully supports Vista's gorgeous Aero graphics, so even modern low-end notebooks will run Vista beautifully." - Paul Thurrott

Can someone tell me why this isn't true :dev:

Okay so I've been giving it more of a chance, Glass is actually not that bad. I still think OS X is nicer, but compared to XP its way better. Also, this is a big improvement to XP. It's much easier to use wireless and such now. The only thing though is its still so bloated. Open Control Panel and you have all those controls, each with tons of sub controls, its just so much. Flip-3D I think could be good with some work, right now though its lacking. It's nice that you can click a window with the mouse and have it open, but you should be able to just put the mouse over a window, and release the keys and have it go to that window, like Expose does. Also I noticed, if you run something like an installer, then do Flip-3D, if that installer or program needs your attention, Flip-3d disappears to go to it. I was installing something and kept trying to change to another window but every new installer screen it would close flip-3d to grab my attention.

Here's my thing though, on my macbook pro, Vista runs SO HOT that after 5 mins I don't want to use it anymore because I'm convinced its going to ruin my system. It gets so hot that it feels like it will burn me. Does anyone else have this?

Either way, I have to say it is a big improvement from XP and is much nicer to work with.

Hey everyone,

First off, I forget who it was that posted originally, but on my MBP the easiest way was to install everything through Vista. Use Boot Camp to make the XP partition, then boot the Vista DVD. Use it to delete the EFI partition, its the 200mb one, hit yet, then format the XP partition and choose that to install Vista on. It takes like 40 minutes or so and will reboot. Make sure you hold option and select the Windows partition, and you'll get an error about winload.exe. Like the last person suggested, boot off the Vista DVD, and choose recovery options. It will detect Vista and say there's a problem that it will fix. Hit yet and it will reboot. Vista reboots like 5 times but after that, you're up and running.

Glass works right away on the MBP. But I have to say to those trying to get it on other systems, IT IS SO UGLY! I thought it would be way better, I honestly had to double check because I didn't even think I had it turned on. Also that Flip-3D is a joke, all the edges are jagged and its useless. Trust me, no one is missing out not having glass.

Question:

If I recreate the 200MB s1, (EFI Partition), after I finish installing Vista, can I re-add it. The run a repair on Vista again? Or maybe re-add it after the first Vista reboot, and then run the Vista repair from the DVD?

I got Vista installed by doing the following. Just because it worked for me, doesn't mean it will work for you, etc.

1) Boot to the Vista DVD.

2) When I got to the "Choose a drive to install to" page, pressed "advanced" (or "more drive info" or whatever it's called).

3) Selected the first partition (200MB unknown partition), this was the EFI partition.

4) Pressed "delete."

5) Selected the Windows partition to install to.

From there Vista took about an hour to install on my build. After the first reboot it came back with a "Could not find Winload.exe" error.

To fix that, I booted to the DVD again and selected "recovery options" - it said "Your startup information is invalid, click Repair And Restart to fix it".

On the next reboot it worked fine.

No Glass on the Mini yet, as the included Intel Lakeport driver doesn't seem to work at least for me when I force it. The hardware should fully support Glass if I'm reading Intel's documentation correctly. We just need to wait til there's a working WDDM driver for it.

Hello

I just bought a MAC but because of OSX Not Vista. But still I want to try VISTA on it. I already have XP installed with boot camp. Works pretty well.

Now about these instructions above , do they still allow you to dual boot and if yes how do we proceed, thanks for any help, Oh and the MAC is an MBP 256 VRAM.

Good day to you all

I too had the "Setup was unable to locate a locally attached hard drive suitable for holding temporary Setup files." error on my MacBook.

I had allocated 10.1GB and it gave me this error. What is the minimum space that Vista Beta 2 requires?

Does anyone know how to reinstate the EFI partition afterwards? Similarly, is there a way to increase the size of the Windows partition if when I try again it has the same issue? I guess I will try again without deleting the EFI partition first, since that really caused me problems before.

Alex-

Having some MAJOR issues w/Intel 2.0Ghz iMac, hopefully you can help. I started by downloading the ISO from microsoft and burning a DVD w/Toast, went to the Windows side, everything seemed well, got part way into the installation and got an error message that the "windows image" could not be found. This occured several times, so I re-downloaded Vista ISO (in XP) and virtually mounted the ISO. Before installing I deleted the 200mb partition using msmgmt.msc (in the run command) and it was gone - no 199mb partition remaining, only the NTFS and HFS partition. Didn't think much of it, and continued the Vista installation via the virutally mounted ISO. It got to the part when it reboots, and I held down option and selected the Windows drive (so installation could continue) - got a big error message. I'm assuming this happened because I didn't have a real Vista DVD, but a virtualy mounted ISO? Anyway I rebooted, now XP won't even start. It gives me an error message. I put in the XP disc, tried to repair boot sector, now it will boot but once the XP Professional image comes up (as windows loads) it crashes and reboots. I'm figuring it's something to do with improperly deleting the 200mb partition, so I decide I'll just replace the EFI partition and remove the windows partition (I don't have anything installed on it). I try to follow your instructions using command-s, I get to the prompt and put in what you said, and I get an error message: "gpt add: /dev/disk0: error: entry at index 1 is not free". What does this mean!? I now have a useless 40GB windows partition on my drive, I can't boot into windows, I can't format the partition via disc utility, and Vista never worked - at this point I just want to remove the damned windows partition and redo everything! PLEASE if anyone can help, I need advice!

Yes, tried that, I get an error message when I open bootcamp stating "Your startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition. Back up your startup disk and use Disk Utility to format your startup disk as a single Mac OS volume. Restore your information to the startup disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again." Seems as if it's locked itself up...

got an update from http://blogs.msdn.com/hans_vb/archive/2006/06/03/615870.aspx

in a comment something is said about the driver problem (installer ends up with an error on vista).

i initially copied the folder in programs where the installer extracts the single drivers but there is another way described in a comment:

quote on:

I got the sound and the eject button to work well on Vista by using the Bootcamp driver cd. We all know that running the cd as-is fails.

But you can extract the contents of the InstallShield by using AppleBootcamp.exe /V /a on any XP machine. This will run through setup and instead of an install. It also doesn't do the checks to make sure if you have the right hardware. After that you can pretty much pick and choose your drivers...Brightness, Eject and sound.

A couple weird things with sound...installing using the EXE seems to work better than letting windows do the auto install. Also there are some issues with headphone pass through so if you want to disable the internal speaker you need to set a reg key. here are instructions: http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?t=1239

quote off.

hope that will help somebody.

greetings,

hulk1st

hmmm. this is interesting. I used the instructions (to delete the partition via the Vista installer, have it fix the system after the reboot, then continue), and I have Vista and OS X successfully running.

Now, I'm trying to reinstate the EFI partition using the GPT command (gpt add -b 40 -i 1 -s 409600 -t efi /dev/disk0), and it gives me an error saying:

gpt add: /dev/disk0: error: entry at index 1 is not free

After reading another post on here, I tried "gpt show disk0". The results are below:

start - size - index - contents

0 - 1 - blank - MBR

1 - 1 - blank - Pri GPT header

2 - 32 - blank - Pri GPT table

34 - 6 - blank - blank

40 - 409600 - 1 - GPT part - C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B

409640 - 171966464 - 2 - GPT PART - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC

172376104 - 262144 - blank - blank

172638248 - 22733280 - 3 - GPT PART - EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7

195371528 - 7 - blank - blank

195371535 - 32 - blank - Sec GPT table

195371567 - 1 - blank - Sec GPT header

What do I do? Essentially, everything is working perfectly, I just want to make sure firmware updates and the like will work in the future, and I from what I've read, reinstating the EFI partition will allow that. What's your advice?