Vista Installed

AirmanPika

203 posts in this topic

Just a question. Who would want to run Vista on a mac anyway. With NSA really helping out with the security (insecurity) I'm not touching Vista unless I have to. I know NSA has had it's hands in Windows since Windows 98 but they had a huge hand in Vista.

I ran vista for a little bit and removed it..... I see no need for the pretty interface. I'll take OS X and Windows XP with a few custom hacks to make the interface better. Nothing has convinced me that I'll even want to put vista on a machine. If it wasn't for games I probably wouldn't even be using Windows XP... I"d be using Linux and OS X.....

Magicman

The NSA...

I run Vista because I like Vista. If you wanna be paranoid about Vista fine but I have a hunch they talk with Apple just as much as they talk with MS so think about that! (Note I highly doubt the NSA really talks to em at all but some people have wild imaginations)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm having the same problem on my Mac Pro. I used bootcamp to create a 15GB partition and then loaded the Vista disc and when I select the partition, it tells me, "This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

I've tried it with Vista RC1 and RC2, and both give me the same error.

Can anyone help us figure this out?

hey i'm having the same problems. did you ever figure it out?

How do I access the bios? I installed the VISTA on my Mac. But I can't figure out the key to access my BIOS. I've tried F2 and F8 they all lead me to BOOTMENU setup.

Yea intel macs use EFI which is different from a BIOS. While it emulates a typical BIOS I don't know of a way (as of yet anyway) to access it. I might try using some of my old tricks from last year when I was trying to get XP/Vista going to see if I can access the BIOS module but I don't hold out much hope for that.

I managed to install vista ultimate final release on my imac. I installed just as if i was installing xp using boot camp, i didnt have to remove the efi partition and i didnt have to install the drivers to get the wifi working, it just worked.

I managed to install vista ultimate final release on my imac. I installed just as if i was installing xp using boot camp, i didnt have to remove the efi partition and i didnt have to install the drivers to get the wifi working, it just worked.

Did you do a clean install or upgrade from XP. If not an upgrade, has anyone tried a final release install over and existing XP install?

Thanks

ed724

I was able to install the RTM version (build 6000) of Vista without having to remove the EFI partition. Used the very latest version of Boot Camp (1.1.2). Boots just fine, but for some reason, the Atheros Wireless driver from Windows Update for MacBook Pros don't work for some reason or other, so I had to roll that back to the stock driver... perhaps it will be fixed soon. Got a 4.6 of 5 on the Windows Experience Index... just goes to show ya how discerning Apple is when it makes a hardware platform.

Hope this helps people.

Peace,

I/O

You all are great dudes, cause you all can show Microsoft, that it is .......

I read in russian Apple posts, that some russian hackers could install Vista and all that drivers from Boot Camp with it, so now it's woking correctly, as if it was a PC! unfirtunately, there is nothing about how they've done it. (((((

I think that Mac OS X Leopard will contain Boot Camp, that will creat drivers for Vista,too!

I just installed vista home premium on my core 2 imac with bootcamp. I have few issues

1. Performance Counter driver? What is this and where do I get this

2. Vista does not go to sleep, does not go in to screensaver mode. I have tested this many times. Pushing the sleep button does put the mac to sleep (including blinking light on the bottom right of the computer). But it will not go to sleep according to the power settings. It will also not go to screensaver. I think I am missing some kind of power control driver. Any ideas?????

You're going to get a Mac and use it on Windows Vista only?!?!?! Without OS X Leopard or Tiger! Then you should just buy a single PC, cause the heart of every mac is Os X. Or maybe you just want to get a stylish MAC/PC.

About right clicking, download a Boot Camp PDF info and it'll tell how to right click in Windows mode.

hey all. so i just installed vista ultimate onto my mbp c2d. the only problem i encountered upon initial install was not having wireless (though wired did work), as well as the keyboard/trackpad functionality. These have all been fixed.

But, weird thing was, even during setup, my bluetooth logitech mouse worked just fine. When i got into vista, it still worked, but i found out the scrollwheel didnt work, (only clicked). So I thought i just had to install the logitech software, which ended up kabooming the whole thing to not working. So I ended up uninstalling the logitech software to gain functionality back. It was only then i realized that device manager did not detect any bluetooth hardware.

So does anyone know why my bluetooth mouse does work, despite bluetooth, uh, not being recognized? It's rather odd. I'm going to go try and install the bluetooth drivers i found elsewhere on these forums now.

You guys have been much help, (just fyi).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK Everybody, WAIT Hang on here...

I am not sure why there is all this discussion on the EFI partition being a problem, and having to delete it and people wondering when the RTM release of Vista is....

well #1 - vista has been available to buy on shelves since February 1st, and

#2 - if you have Bootcamp 1.2 you do not need to worry abou tthe EFI partition at all...I switched over from XP to Vista las tnight on my iMac 20" using Bootcamp, and the Driver CD it made, and everything works and boots just fine, same as it did with XP.

I am not sure why everyone is getting problems here...Bootcamp 1.2 fully supports Vista, and you can leave the EFI partition intact. I have Vista Ultimate installed, with Windows updates fully downloaded and all hardware is working (Sigmatel audio, wireless networking, ATI video drivers, iSight camera, Bluetooth, etc...)

So I guess my question is, why are you all having trouble with the driver CD and installing Vista?...took me only 30 minutes, and I have no hardware issues...it dual boots the same as it did before with XP, and gave my iMac a "4.9" experience/performance rating in vista.

::: milOtis