2. 2. Does it work successfully?

• Yes, no issues
    • Yes, minor issues/annoyances
    • No, Intel Pentium M/4/D
    • No, Intel Core or newer
    • No, AMD K8
    • No, AMD K10 or newer
    • No, other CPU
  3. 3. How do you rate the usefullness of VoodooPower?

• No use
    • Poor
    • Mediocre
    • Useful
    • Very useful
    • My life depend on it

351 posts in this topic

KP should show error type like divide error, invalid memory access...

Please check if it happens when processorDriver() invocation is commented out.

If not, use debug build to see what kind of fid/vid values are detected.

--- edit ----

Please change the code in amd.cpp like:

muldiv(AMDGetK8Frequency(GlobalCurrent.fid),vp->CpuFSB,50*Mega)

to simply:

AMDGetK8Frequency(GlobalCurrent.fid)

(There are 3.)

CpuFSB may not be always correctly detected in AMD.

OK, I will make the proper adjustments and make it selectable with a boot argument.

I don't have access to this PC immediately so no way to test...

If somebody else has a similar problem we could check there (it's an AMD Athlon64 stepping N3 on an MSI motherboard with an nForce4 chipset).

Anyway I'll rebuild tomorrow and publish...

OK, I will make the proper adjustments and make it selectable with a boot argument.

I don't have access to this PC immediately so no way to test...

If somebody else has a similar problem we could check there (it's an AMD Athlon64 stepping N3 on an MSI motherboard with an nForce4 chipset).

Anyway I'll rebuild tomorrow and publish...

Sorry for not enough testing. I think it is safe to turn fsb calculation off by default.

Sorry for not enough testing. I think it is safe to turn fsb calculation off by default.

Well, no problem but it allready got built like I said... (will publish later).

It selects your alternate method with boot argument "-alt-get-frequency".

Thanks for the reply though.

Well, no problem but it already got built like I said... (will publish later).

It selects your alternate method with boot argument "-alt-get-frequency

I didn't realise you can add kernel flags via kexts?

Am i wrong in thinking i will need a newer kernel to toggle this feature?

ie 1.4 updated updated?

Cheers,

HC

Well, no problem but it already got built like I said... (will publish later).

It selects your alternate method with boot argument "-alt-get-frequency

I didn't realise you can add kernel flags via kexts?

Am i wrong in thinking i will need a newer kernel to toggle this feature?

ie 1.4 updated updated?

Cheers,

HC

Sure, kernel boot arguments work via PE_parse_boot_arg or PE_parse_boot_argn in anything kernel related as long as the dependencies are fit...

You can use this with any Voodoo style kernel thus Voodoo 9.5.0 or AnV XNU V1.1 - V1.4...

USB 1 stopping computer entering sleep.

USB 1 is HP PSC 1402 printer.

Works perfectly with printer turned off.

I am unsure if this is VoodooPower, or VoodooEHCI kext, I have both installed (and working).

Many thanks.

PS. Printer is connected directly, I have not tried switching it to the 4 port hub, which might work, seeing the Hub is not powered. I will try this after reinstalling printer drivers!

Haven't tried yours yet. I'm using the latest from SuperHai and it's set to root in the plist as well.

It's not really important to have it in extra/extensions because it would never be overwritten by an update. Just thought I'd try.

I'm trying to prepare myself for (finally) installing retail 10.5.6, so these days I'm learning how to use the extras folder and trying to get my patched kexts working from there. Next major challenge will be AppleHDA.kext and then I'm done with the kexts..yay.

Thanks hnak for trying to guide me, I appreciate that alot.

Well, I tried to edit the source as you suggested, and build the kext using the latest xcode, unfortunately, I received a kernel panic instantly and after removing the voodoo.kext the system is :( dead, on boot the CPU halts and system shuts down, unable to repair premissions, cant even repair the disk. So, I really messed it all up.

Oh well, I will leave the coding to you guys who know what they are doing, sorry for all the trouble.

Great work.

One step further toward green apples.

Installed v. 1.2.3 and running on system in signature, and until now no problems/annoyances.

Loading properly from munky's EFI boot partition (as proved by sudo kextstat in terminal), and cpu-x

changing multiplier.

Tried both (Superhai's and Andy's) with similar results, Andy's seems to change stepping of

processor more often than Superhai's that seems more "calm". But maybe just an impression.

Boot time a little bit longer, (from 8-9 "turns" of the wheel to 15-16).

Thanks

EDIT: I deleted openhaltrestart and system shuts down properly. But still no sleep.

EDIT2: First KP today on a restart. Happened once and system.log isn't showing anything. Will investigate.

EDIT3: KP not happened again. So might been weather related. :)

Temperature stable at 51º (according to temperature monitor)

Hi, installed Andy's _1.2.3.pkg (AMD) , rebooted and no kp so far

but when I launch genericcpupmcontrol I get a - kernel extension offline

no warning msgs , nothing related with VoodooPowerAmd.kext in console

I'm on 10.5.6 , voodoo 9.5.0 , AMD 64 X2 5200+ , GA-MA770 DS3

Am I missing something on installation ?

Use my newer one...

That's my old one (see a few posts back...).

I did - same thing

it doesn't seem to load at startup but I don't get a warning either

and sysctl -a | grep freq gives :

kern.exec: unknown type returned

hw.busfrequency = 200000000

hw.cpufrequency = 2700000000

hw.tbfrequency = 1000000000

hw.tbfrequency: 1000000000

hw.cpufrequency_max: 2700000000

hw.cpufrequency_min: 2700000000

hw.cpufrequency: 2700000000

hw.busfrequency_max: 200000000

hw.busfrequency_min: 200000000

hw.busfrequency: 200000000

I'm sure my motherboard supports throttling , I am using it in windows

I noticed it takes some time to install , repairing permissions maybe

I too get random crashes with all Superhai's versions. It only happens when the computer is idle for a while. When it is working my q9550 will got between multiplier 5.5 and 8.5 very effectively. Any ideas about what I can try or what I am doing wrong? Specs are in signature.

M

superhai, what's the story on the VoodooPower "Mini" kext?

It has much less cpu overhead to do the main thing: throttling CPU for the system-load needs

No amd/intel checks (cpu cycles+Codesize), no workaround(also cpu cycles+code size) for mainboards cant give pstates.

So if you must force manual pstates and/or mVolts by the info.plist or have an AMD thats the wrong version for you.

That mini needs working pstates from mainboard and an Intel CPU.

thanks mitch. i had 1.2.1 working fine and decided to move to 1.2.3, but it's freezing my MSI Wind. i'll give mini a try and see if it acts any differently.

EDIT:

ok, never mind, i got 1.2.3 to work after reading up on a solution for the Wind (it may have been mentioned here too, but it was easier to find over at the MSI Wind forums). i just needed to make all TstateControl values = false in the Info.plist. seems to have stopped the system freezes and video/audio playback issues, but i'm keeping my eye on it for now.

I too get random crashes with all Superhai's versions. It only happens when the computer is idle for a while. When it is working my q9550 will got between multiplier 5.5 and 8.5 very effectively. Any ideas about what I can try or what I am doing wrong? Specs are in signature.

M

Anyone have any idea what I can change to make this kext work for me? As stated before I get random crashes when the computer is idle. My Motherboard is an ECS G31-T with Intel G31 & ICH7 bridges and 4GB of RAM. I have an Intel Core2Quad Q9550. Any help or ideas or even an alternative kext from speedstep would be greatly appreciated.

m

Sorry for a clueless question...

But does all these talks about engaging speedstepping on hack's mean that it's not active at all on a hack by default?

Or do I steel need to install something like vodoopower to make sure that it doesnt speedstep also?

Why I dont want it to?

Speedstepping is evil in audio and video relatime editing applications. We really prefer to force the computer to run at full speed all the time.

I still have to find a working way to do this on MacPro's (havent tried it yet so am open for suggestions on what might work), but I also need to figure out if I need to do it on my hack as well...

Yup, clueless is the word :-) and lazy tooooo, as I could spend a huge number of hours reading countless threads about all this tryig to figure out the answer...

Sorry for a clueless question...

But does all these talks about engaging speedstepping on hack's mean that it's not active at all on a hack by default?

Or do I steel need to install something like vodoopower to make sure that it doesnt speedstep also?

Why I dont want it to?

Speedstepping is evil in audio and video relatime editing applications. We really prefer to force the computer to run at full speed all the time.

I still have to find a working way to do this on MacPro's (havent tried it yet so am open for suggestions on what might work), but I also need to figure out if I need to do it on my hack as well...

Yup, clueless is the word :-) and lazy tooooo, as I could spend a huge number of hours reading countless threads about all this tryig to figure out the answer...

SpeedStep it NOT active by default. There is a great program from Netkas called CPU-X that can confirm this. So if you don't want speedstepping then don't worry about Voodoo power at all.

And there is nothing lazy about it really! When the search function is as broken as it is in this forum it makes looking for information near impossible.

M

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update to the P35-DS3L and EP45-UD3P from Gigabyte, VoodooPower causes intermittent Kernel Panics on both rigs (1-2 times a week when running 24/7). I switched back to OpenHaltRestart and the systems are stable again. I tested VoodooPower 1.2.1 - 1.2.3, same problem on all releases for these boards.

Thanks for the voodoopower!! It works on my Sony TX650p with PentiumM1.2Ghz, and also on my Ferrari1000 with AMD Turion64x2 TL-52. Sorry for the noob question, but I have been editing the info.plist of the kext to adjust the maximum voltage, but it does not seem to work. How do I do this exactly? I want to enable only the highest P-state and set the voltage to 0.9V. Thanks!:(

Just an update to the P35-DS3L and EP45-UD3P from Gigabyte, VoodooPower causes intermittent Kernel Panics on both rigs (1-2 times a week when running 24/7). I switched back to OpenHaltRestart and the systems are stable again. I tested VoodooPower 1.2.1 - 1.2.3, same problem on all releases for these boards.

This is the same type of kernel panic that I am getting on my ECS board.

This is the same type of kernel panic that I am getting on my ECS board.

Set all TStateControl to "NO" and test again.

May be this will be helpfull.