2. 2. Does it work successfully?

• Yes, no issues
    • Yes, minor issues/annoyances
    • No, Intel Pentium M/4/D
    • No, Intel Core or newer
    • No, AMD K8
    • No, AMD K10 or newer
    • No, other CPU
  3. 3. How do you rate the usefullness of VoodooPower?

• No use
    • Poor
    • Mediocre
    • Useful
    • Very useful
    • My life depend on it

351 posts in this topic

Hi, Superhai. :(

GenericCPUPMControl used to work great with iPC Beta on my rig, but Voodoo Power with iPC PPF5 kernel panics every minute or so.

Otherwise, I installed most of the some drivers:

Vanilla Kernel

ICH10 Chipset

DSDT (1st on the list)

The only difference is the SMBios. I switched an AppleSMBios v.1.1.1 I was given by someone for your SMBios Resolver.

Perhaps something with the mVolts os wrong . too less mVolts can KernelPanic, especially if you overclocked the CPU !

You can try to set a bit higher minimum / maximum mVolts (maximum mVolts should be shown in the BIOS at the Volts side) and activate overwrite mVolts in the .plist with in the .kext.

You could be right since I noticed all went wrong when the CPU was idle.

My E7200 is overclocked from 2,53GHz to 3,6GHz at 1,20V (1,18V with Vdrop).

Generic CPU PM Control indicated 925mV when it underclocked my CPU to 2,4GHz but I didn't had to change anything.

I could use CPU Test to tweak the voltage without crashing, but I didn't figure out yet how to do it: Generic CPU PM Control voltage cursor appears to be blocked. You say I have to edit the .plist within the .kext. I'll give it a try next time.

You could be right since I noticed all went wrong when the CPU was idle.

My E7200 is overclocked from 2,53GHz to 3,6GHz at 1,20V (1,18V with Vdrop).

Generic CPU PM Control indicated 925mV when it underclocked my CPU to 2,4GHz but I didn't had to change anything.

I could use CPU Test to tweak the voltage without crashing, but I didn't figure out yet how to do it: Generic CPU PM Control voltage cursor appears to be blocked. You say I have to edit the .plist within the .kext. I'll give it a try next time.

I thought that!

Your OC is not only a little one :unsure:;)

Whit that much OC, you need much more mVolts specially in idle mode (less CPU%, "less" but OC MHZ!).

I would try to give an minimum around 1150mV in the .plist setting all less, is an RISK for stability!!!!

Also your HFS+ filesystem may get corrupted if you have to often KPs within Disk i/O avoid to much trial&error speedstep KPs!

@vani and SuperHai

I was having similar kernel panics on my Wind. I then disabled TState throttling. That helped a LOT. Not a single crash since.

Um could you help a noob out and tell me where you would disable TState throttling? plist file, somewhere?

Thanks

Um could you help a noob out and tell me where you would disable TState throttling? plist file, somewhere?

Thanks

Yeah use in Finder "Show Content" on the .kext.

The .plist is within the .kext, not external.

I thought that!

Your OC is not only a little one ;):D

Whit that much OC, you need much more mVolts specially in idle mode (less CPU%, "less" but OC MHZ!).

I would try to give an minimum around 1150mV in the .plist setting all less, is an RISK for stability!!!!

Also your HFS+ filesystem may get corrupted if you have to often KPs within Disk i/O avoid to much trial&error speedstep KPs!

Thanks for the advice. :)

As a matter of fact, the beast sustains 4,2GHz at 1,4V but I didn't try to validate this high (or maybe higher) since I care more about power consumption than OC records. Plus, it's time consuming and I've got a sensor issue: high temperatures despite a big cooler and a 1900rpm Scythe fan (110CFM @ 12V!). So I've decided more or less to use my computer instead of working on it. :P

For the same reason, I'm gonna wait for a new drive before trying again a fresh install of iPC for everyday use.

By now, I'm using the beta with Generic CPU PM Control. My E7200's VID is 1,05V and OC'd, it's allegedly running at 925mV for 2,4GHz (400x6) on idle mode. But I think it cannot be trusted since a CPU Test burn increases the voltage to 937mV only, which is impossible: it would crash instantly…

Intel Quad Core Q9300 showing -1892 and something like -1290 This was reported also in post: #65, #69, #72 and #80 Can this bug please be fixed a.s.a.p.? With help of Info.plist maybe? Thanks!

Note: System Profiler reports a bus Speed of 1.61GHz BTW.

EDIT: Apparently the application has been depreciated, so how do I get to see any of the values without the application?

EDIT 2: Using the normal/stock speed shows the 2GHz as 2003MHz, which is pretty accurate, but 2.5Ghz is still displayed as some negative value.

Hello Superhai,

I noticed that in the plist of the kext, they are strings for "min voltage" and "max voltage", how can I use that?

Can I specify voltages myself?

I've been doing benchmarks and I know precisely what voltage value comes along the right cpu multiplier for my CPU, can I specify that somewhere to get the best throttle?

Regards,

Naunaud.

I testes version 1.2.1 with

sergeys-macpro31:~ sergey$ ./vpower c
Kernel Extension Name: VoodooPower.kext
		  Version: 1.2.1 Release Jan  4 2009 15:06:44
			  CPU: 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU		  6300  @ 1.86GHz
	   Technology: Intel Core Desktop/Server [000006f6]
		 P-States: P00 FID 07 DID 00 VID 28 
				 : P01 FID 06 DID 00 VID 28 
sergeys-macpro31:~ sergey$ ./vpower f
CPU0 1998004812
CPU1 1998004812

It is overclocked from native 1,86 to 333x7=2,33GHz

Old version of GenericCPUPM doesn't work at all.

Feb  5 22:32:19 sergeys-macpro31 kernel[0]: GenericCPUPowerManagement: [Warning] No ACPI p-states in table
Feb  5 22:32:19: --- last message repeated 3 times ---
Feb  5 22:32:19 sergeys-macpro31 kernel[0]: GenericCPUPowerManagement: [Warning] Enhanced Intel Speedstep is supported but not enabled
Feb  5 22:32:19 sergeys-macpro31 kernel[0]: GenericCPUPowerManagement: Generic CPU Power Management Driver 1.0 (C) 2008 Superhai Development Co, based on works by mercurysquad
Feb  5 22:32:19 sergeys-macpro31 kernel[0]: GenericCPUPowerManagement: For internal use only. All Rights Reserved. Support and documentaion http://www.superhai.com/
Feb  5 22:32:19 sergeys-macpro31 kernel[0]: GenericCPUPowerManagement: [Error] Failure on throttling to max
Feb  5 22:32:19 sergeys-macpro31 kernel[0]: GenericCPUPowerManagement: Unloading

Now VoodooPower loaded and "works" :(

Voodoo.png

Better then nothing -_-

It's a pity I have no menu indicator as with previous versions.

Ok, just writing up some issues here, if more information is needed, then let me know.

I'm running an AMD Turion X2 Ultra ( K8L ) which supports three P-States: 600 Mhz, 1.1 Ghz, 2.1Ghz.

When loading the debug extension, syslog shows the following:

Feb 12 18:03:30 nojs-macpro31 kernel[0]: VoodooPower.kext: [Debug] [00124] FSB = 100000000
Feb 12 18:03:30 nojs-macpro31 kernel[0]: VoodooPower.kext: [Debug] [00208] CPU: AMD - Signature 200f31 (AuthenticAMD)(AMD Turion(tm)X2 Ultra DualCore Mobile ZM-82)
Feb 12 18:03:30 nojs-macpro31 kernel[0]: VoodooPower.kext: [Debug] [00343] TjMAX 0 TjMAX15 0 Mobile 0
Feb 12 18:03:30 nojs-macpro31 kernel[0]: VoodooPower.kext: VoodooPower.kext 1.2.2 (Debug) Feb  9 2009 19:51:15 [1050]
Feb 12 18:03:30 nojs-macpro31 kernel[0]: VoodooPower.kext: © 2008 Superhai, All Rights Reserved
Feb 12 18:03:30 nojs-macpro31 kernel[0]: VoodooPower.kext: [Debug] [00558] P-State  0: FID-0E DID-00 VID-24 (00)
Feb 12 18:03:31 nojs-macpro31 kernel[0]: VoodooPower.kext: [Debug] [00558] P-State  1: FID-0E DID-01 VID-30 (01)
Feb 12 18:03:31 nojs-macpro31 kernel[0]: VoodooPower.kext: [Debug] [00558] P-State  2: FID-0E DID-02 VID-3C (02)
Feb 12 18:03:31 nojs-macpro31 kernel[0]: VoodooPower.kext: [Debug] [00756] CPU 0 Total ticks 214647 Ticks Per Loop 512
Feb 12 18:03:31 nojs-macpro31 kernel[0]: VoodooPower.kext: [Debug] [00756] CPU 1 Total ticks 214633 Ticks Per Loop 512

and then repedetly:

Feb 12 18:03:31 nojs-macpro31 kernel[0]: VoodooPower.kext: [Debug] [00808] Auto Request: CPU 0 From state 0 to 2, throttle 0%
Feb 12 18:03:31 nojs-macpro31 kernel[0]: VoodooPower.kext: [Debug] [00810] Limits: CPU 0 0 2
Feb 12 18:03:31 nojs-macpro31 kernel[0]: VoodooPower.kext: [Debug] [00808] Auto Request: CPU 1 From state 0 to 2, throttle 0%
Feb 12 18:03:31 nojs-macpro31 kernel[0]: VoodooPower.kext: [Debug] [00810] Limits: CPU 1 0 2
Feb 12 18:03:31 nojs-macpro31 kernel[0]: VoodooPower.kext: [Debug] [01026] CPU 0: Frequency 2200000000 (14) Voltage 650 (36)
Feb 12 18:03:31 nojs-macpro31 kernel[0]: VoodooPower.kext: [Debug] [00986] Unable to step cpu correctly. Current 0E24 requested 0E3C
Feb 12 18:03:32 nojs-macpro31 kernel[0]: VoodooPower.kext: [Debug] [01026] CPU 1: Frequency 2200000000 (14) Voltage 650 (36)
Feb 12 18:03:36 nojs-macpro31 kernel[0]: VoodooPower.kext: [Debug] [00754] CPU 0 Load: USR   24 SYS   26 IDL  976 NCE    0
Feb 12 18:03:36 nojs-macpro31 kernel[0]: VoodooPower.kext: [Debug] [00756] CPU 0 Total ticks 513 Ticks Per Loop 512
Feb 12 18:03:36 nojs-macpro31 kernel[0]: VoodooPower.kext: [Debug] [00756] CPU 1 Total ticks 523 Ticks Per Loop 512

ergo, throttling doesnt work.

The same happens with cpus=1.

Also, the GenericCPUPowerManagement tool shows a frequency of -2094 Mhz ( which is actually the negative value of the CPUs max speed ).

Please keep up the good work superhai!

Hello Superhai,

I noticed that in the plist of the kext, they are strings for "min voltage" and "max voltage", how can I use that?

Can I specify voltages myself?

I've been doing benchmarks and I know precisely what voltage value comes along the right cpu multiplier for my CPU, can I specify that somewhere to get the best throttle?

Regards,

Naunaud.

I didn't wait for a reply, instead, I went ahead and changed the max value and the min values, then changed voltage override to true. Installed the kext again and it did indeed changed the values. Saweet. Thanks superhai.

Ok, just writing up some issues here, if more information is needed, then let me know.

I'm running an AMD Turion X2 Ultra ( K8L ) which supports three P-States: 600 Mhz, 1.1 Ghz, 2.1Ghz.

ergo, throttling doesnt work.

The same happens with cpus=1.

Also, the GenericCPUPowerManagement tool shows a frequency of -2094 Mhz ( which is actually the negative value of the CPUs max speed ).

Please keep up the good work superhai!

Does this one work ? ( after changing ownership to root:wheel )

You also should check frequency with vpower.

---

removed outdated code.

Does this one work ? ( after changing ownership to root:wheel )

You also should check frequency with vpower.

Alright hnak!

This one does indeed work, both cores now throttle down to 750 Mhz.

The clock rates seem a bit off though, since vpower shows 750 Mhz, 1.5 Ghz and 3.0 Ghz.

Is there a way to manually adjust the current clock rate, e.g. fixing it at 3.0 Ghz?

Alright hnak!

This one does indeed work, both cores now throttle down to 750 Mhz.

The clock rates seem a bit off though, since vpower shows 750 Mhz, 1.5 Ghz and 3.0 Ghz.

Is there a way to manually adjust the current clock rate, e.g. fixing it at 3.0 Ghz?

My patch extracts fid (frequency ID) and vid (voltage ID) from ACPI Pstate table. So there is no way to adjust the values manually.

Your CPU clock is set to 750 MHz - 3.0 GHz (or 600MHz - 2.1GHz) ?

As far as I know AMD CPU clock = 800 + (fid * 100) / or 50 * (fid + 16) (fid=0,1,2...), its lowest clock is around 800 MHz, so it sounds a bit strange. Do you slow down base clock ?

My patch extracts fid (frequency ID) and vid (voltage ID) from ACPI Pstate table. So there is no way to adjust the values manually.

Your CPU clock is set to 750 MHz - 3.0 GHz (or 600MHz - 2.1GHz) ?

As far as I know AMD CPU clock = 800 + (fid * 100) / or 50 * (fid + 16) (fid=0,1,2...), its lowest clock is around 800 MHz, so it sounds a bit strange. Do you slow down base clock ?

The clock your patched version sets ( or at least shows ) is 750 Mhz, 1.5 Ghz and 3.0 Ghz, while the regular Pstates available are 600 Mhz, 1.1 Ghz and 2.1 Ghz.

I'm currently not messing with the clock at all, so maybe there are some faulty entries in the Pstate table, or the X2 Ultra CPUs use another formula for determining the clock. I'll look in that later and will let you know.

For now, I'm really happy with my regained silence through the throttled CPU (:

The clock your patched version sets ( or at least shows ) is 750 Mhz, 1.5 Ghz and 3.0 Ghz, while the regular Pstates available are 600 Mhz, 1.1 Ghz and 2.1 Ghz.

I'm currently not messing with the clock at all, so maybe there are some faulty entries in the Pstate table, or the X2 Ultra CPUs use another formula for determining the clock. I'll look in that later and will let you know.

For now, I'm really happy with my regained silence through the throttled CPU (:

Turion X2 Ultra seems to be K11. I hope this one shows closer values (2.2 G/1.1G/550 MHz).

As I do not have K11, I cannot check the behavior.

--- removed outdated code ---

The archive contains VoodooPower.cpp, which you can build kext by replacing the corresponding original source file.

Turion X2 Ultra seems to be K11. I hope this one shows closer values (2.2 G/1.1G/550 MHz).

As I do not have K11, I cannot check the behavior.

The archive contains VoodooPower.cpp, which you can build kext by replacing the corresponding original source file.

Actually, the Turion X2 Ultra is a bit of a hybrid, based on the K8, but with some features of the K10 architecture but it belongs to the 11h family (:

I just checked the powernow-k8 kernel drivers from a debian installation of mine, and confirm that they use the "800 + ( fid * 100 )" formula, mentioned by you earlier, as well.

I'll check your new driver shortly and will update you on the results.

Btw. for everybody who is curious about power and thermal information of the AMD 11h family ( Turion X2 Ultra, Turion X2, Athlon X2, Sempron ), you can find the official AMD tech docs here

Superhai

The new VoodooPower 1.2.3 works great now in my PC, the previous version does not allow to restart or shutdown, now works like a charm! thanks :(

Only Sleep does not work, but I guess that is almost impossible to make it work in a Desktop platform :wacko: but I am very happy with the results of your VoodooPower :unsure: Not more OpenHaltRestart :(

Superhai,

I'm experiencing extreme cpu temperature which exceed ~75O Celsius when it in full load. This happen when I'm using firefox & yahoo messenger but not always. This is the combination of kexts that I think responsible to the high temp:-

- AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext + VoodooPower.kext (1.2.1)

It also true with VoodooPower version 1.2.2. I have to manually disable "Auto Throttle" to maintain lower cpu frequency but this effect the performance.

Right now I have disabled AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext using IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext. I'm also using version 1.2.3 of VoodooPower.kext. So far so good.

kizwan

Superhai,

I'm experiencing extreme cpu temperature which exceed ~75O Celsius when it in full load. This happen when I'm using firefox & yahoo messenger but not always. This is the combination of kexts that I think responsible to the high temp:-

- AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext + VoodooPower.kext (1.2.1)

It also true with VoodooPower version 1.2.2. I have to manually disable "Auto Throttle" to maintain lower cpu frequency but this effect the performance.

Right now I have disabled AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext using IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext. I'm also using version 1.2.3 of VoodooPower.kext. So far so good.

kizwan

I have to agree with you about the temperature bug, I have an increase of 15C with VoodooPower 1.2.3 :)

I have to agree with you about the temperature bug, I have an increase of 15C with VoodooPower 1.2.3 :blink:

Update: The temperature went back to normal, it looks like Time Machine make the temperature go up dramatically :) VoodooPower 1.2.3 is fine, I think is normal.