2. 2. Does it work successfully?

• Yes, no issues
    • Yes, minor issues/annoyances
    • No, Intel Pentium M/4/D
    • No, Intel Core or newer
    • No, AMD K8
    • No, AMD K10 or newer
    • No, other CPU
  3. 3. How do you rate the usefullness of VoodooPower?

• No use
    • Poor
    • Mediocre
    • Useful
    • Very useful
    • My life depend on it

351 posts in this topic

It works for me now, it was some error I did when changing the plist file, think I forgot to touch the extensions folder (but I booted with -v -f so it should not matter right?).

Running on 1162 mV on a Q6600 but even if the cpu would run at lower voltages it's impossible to go under 1162 :)

However, I save almost 15 watts at full load using the lower voltage.

Chaps,

Quick question - I'd like to modify the source code to lock in specific VID and FIDs for the Pstates on my T8300, as well as enable SLFM. My chip works quite well at .9V for 1GHz and 0.975 for 2.4GHz and thus I'd like to manually set these levels in on VoodooPower. The problem is I cannot locate the right function calls inside intel.cpp and the amd way to do this does not look similar ^_^

Any pointers as how to do this?

Thanks

jkbuha

Hi,

it seems to work on my L7500 x61s but i can't get rid off "com.superhai.driver.GenericCPUPowerManagement"

it's still loaded but i cannot find the kext file!

here's my log :

sh-3.2# kextstat | grep hai

94 0 0x3445e000 0xa000 0x9000 com.superhai.driver.GenericCPUPowerManagement (1.1.3) <18 12 7 5 4 2>

pierres-766734g:~ pierre$ sudo dmesg | grep GenericCPUPowerManagement

GenericCPUPowerManagement: GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext 1.1.3 (Release) Dec 14 2008 17:53:36 [1050]

GenericCPUPowerManagement: © 2008 Superhai, All Rights Reserved

pierres-766734g:~ pierre$ sudo dmesg | grep GenericCPUPowerManagement

GenericCPUPowerManagement: GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext 1.1.3 (Release) Dec 14 2008 17:53:36 [1050]

GenericCPUPowerManagement: © 2008 Superhai, All Rights Reserved

pierres-766734g:~ pierre$ ioreg -lxw0 -r -c GenericCPUPowerManagement | grep "Characteristics"

"Characteristics" = {"Voltage Highest"=0x401,"Signature"=0x6fb,"Front Side Bus Indicated"=0xbebc200,"CPU Count"=0x2,"Build Date"="Dec 14 2008","Constant TSC"=Yes,"Voltage Lowest"=0x3cf,"Front Side Bus"=0xbebc200,"VID Lowest"=0x15,"Product Name"="GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext","Override"=No,"Version"="1.1.3","Individual Core Control"=No,"Frequency Lowest"=0x258,"DID Lowest"=0x0,"Timer Timeout"=0xfa,"CPU Driver"=0x0,"Mobile CPU"=Yes,"Build Time"="17:53:36","Auto Throttle On Startup"=Yes,"Build Config"="Release","Frequency Highest"=0x640,"String"="Intel® Core2 Duo CPU L7500 @ 1.60GHz","DID Highest"=0x0,"FID Lowest"=0x86,"VID Highest"=0x19,"FID Highest"=0x8,"P-State Count"=0x5}

pierres-766734g:~ pierre$ ioreg -lxw0 -r -c GenericCPUPowerManagement | grep "Status"

"Status" = {"Wait Time TSC"=0x17ccc580,"Timer Timeout (ms)"=0xfa,"Wait Time Perf"=0x10b9170,"P-State Limit"=0x0,"P-State Capability"=0x0,"Current Latency"=0x6,"Kernel Extension Ready"=Yes,"Auto Throttle Running"=Yes,"Threshold"=0xc8,"Profile"=0x0,"CPU"=({"Load"={"User"=0x4e,"Accumulated"=0x4e,"System"=0x0,"Idle"=0x389,"Nice"=0x0},"Clock Modulation"=0x8,"Frequency"=0x258,"Current P-State"=0x5,"DID"=0x0,"VID"=0x15,"Thermal Readout"=0x39,"Actual Performance"=0x178,"FID"=0x86,"Voltage"=0x3cf,"Exact"=Yes,"Name"="CPU0"},{"Load"={"User"=0x27,"Accumulated"=0x27,"System"=0x0,"Idle"=0x3b1,"Nice"=0x0},"Clock Modulation"=0x8,"Frequency"=0x258,"Current P-State"=0x5,"DID"=0x0,"VID"=0x15,"Thermal Readout"=0x3a,"Actual Performance"=0x180,"FID"=0x86,"Voltage"=0x3cf,"Exact"=Yes,"Name"="CPU1"}),"Hysteresis"=0x32,"Routine Payload TSC"=0x419a0}

BE CAREFUL if you OC the CPU by FSB and lowered the Multi in your BIOS.

BIOS PART:

My C2D 2.66 (FSB 266 = default, Multi 10 = default, has 5 P-STATES 4...0 6,7,8,9,10* Multi) running at FSB 333=OC, Multi 9=lowered

Gives OC of 3.0 GHZ (9*333 FSB).

If i try to OC more in BIOS by 333 FSB (OC) and Multi 10*(default) = 3.33 GHZ = FREEZE (even with more CPU VIDs)

MAC OS X PART:

Without VP the CPU runs as set in the BIOS : FSB 333 * 9 Multi = 3.0 GHZ.

If i kextload VoodooPower or MiniPower without any change in the plist that will happen:

Running perfect until high CPU% load cames up and VP switch P-States down:

P-State 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 0 FREEZE.

If VP tries to switch to highes P-STATE (0=Multi 10) CPU is too much OC: 10*333 FSB =3,33 GHZ = FREEZE. That will happens even if the VID(mVolts) are set much higher for OC.

To avoid that, you must disable the highest P-STATE 0 by setting PstateHighest = 1 in the .plist.

Now the CPU runs as without VP from P-STATE 4= 6*333 = 2.0 GHZ up to PSTATE 1= 9*333 = 3.0 GHZ. Stable as without loading/using VP.

An new check in the initialisation of VP may warn, by probing FSB=orig. CPU default (200/266/333) or not (333 FSB on 266 FSB CPU Type= Multi changed=warning)

Since 10.5.8 it is needed to use AppleIntelCPUPowermanagment.kext for proper sleep. Using the Applekext results in much higher CPU Temperature, so Powermanagement does not work with the kext.

Using Voodoopower kext results in lower CPU Temperature, but not as low as using NONE of both kexts. Why is that?

If i use NONE of both kexts, my CPU Temp sinks as low as 30C. If i use Voodoopower and the Apple kext together, the CPU Temp rises about 6C. That wouldn't bother me much, but the fan-noise gets to a disturbing state when the PC is idle :gun:

Is there a way to get the old powermanagement back when using both kexts? I already set "CStateControl=True" in the Voodoopower.kext plist, but it didn't help.

Thanks!

Since 10.5.8 it is needed to use AppleIntelCPUPowermanagment.kext for proper sleep. Using the Applekext results in much higher CPU Temperature, so Powermanagement does not work with the kext.

Using Voodoopower kext results in lower CPU Temperature, but not as low as using NONE of both kexts. Why is that?

If i use NONE of both kexts, my CPU Temp sinks as low as 30C. If i use Voodoopower and the Apple kext together, the CPU Temp rises about 6C. That wouldn't bother me much, but the fan-noise gets to a disturbing state when the PC is idle ;)

Is there a way to get the old powermanagement back when using both kexts? I already set "CStateControl=True" in the Voodoopower.kext plist, but it didn't help.

Thanks!

Why not use the native Speedstep Control of OSX?

Why not use the native Speedstep Control of OSX?

Because its not speedstep. OS X manages the cpu powermanagement in an other way, which isnt much effective - even if it works on an OSX86.

If its not working (AppleIntelCPU/ ACPI-SMCPlugin dont fit to the OSX86 Modell) you get much higher CPU temp - even compared without Voodoopower.

So AppleIntelCPU really works only on real Macs. On non Macs you get more/less worst cpu powermanagement.

(Depends on: smbios "MacModell", CPU Type, Mainboard hardware powermanagement).

Without any speedstep control (Voodoopower) my Gigabyte MB runs really cool by using the other , hardware/bios based(does his work without any drivers alone) cpu powermanagement (C1E,..).

Guest ѕиоѡ

Hopfully the Voodoopower kext gets an update so we dont have to use the bloody AICPUPM kext if we want to have our low temps back.

I'm using the 10.5.7 kernel without AICPUPM and with Voodoopower which seems to work as before the 10.5.8 update (maybe slightly higher temps even)

Because its not speedstep. OS X manages the cpu powermanagement in an other way, which isnt much effective - even if it works on an OSX86.

If its not working (AppleIntelCPU/ ACPI-SMCPlugin dont fit to the OSX86 Modell) you get much higher CPU temp - even compared without Voodoopower.

So AppleIntelCPU really works only on real Macs. On non Macs you get more/less worst cpu powermanagement.

(Depends on: smbios "MacModell", CPU Type, Mainboard hardware powermanagement).

Without any speedstep control (Voodoopower) my Gigabyte MB runs really cool by using the other , hardware/bios based(does his work without any drivers alone) cpu powermanagement (C1E,..).

Hi mitch

are you saying the BIOS controls/triggers the C1E state without need for drivers?

Also if you have defined p-states in DSDT then surely AppleIntelCPUPM is giving you speedstep?

~EDIT~ It's controlling muti' and VID which is speedstep no?

Admittedly it's far simpler to use voodoopower !!

D.

Coolbook doesnt use Speedstep (EIST) funktion. It does it its own way (by own code).

I asked the dev last year about that. He told me that he dindt use the HW function EIST(speedstep) of that cpus supporting speedstep.

I would not use that.

I am investigating the sleep issues with my mainboard GA-EP45-DS3 (currently i only use the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext)

Sometimes my system hangs when going to sleep. Since 10.5.8 it even hangs once-in-a-while when it should wake up. Someone gave me the hint to disable EIST in the BIOS.

With the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext my System sleeps/wakes fine. Which seems to make sense to me: the kext obviously turns OFF all CPU powersaving features. So, no powersaving features are used when the system goes to sleep. But my goal is to get rid of the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext as it heats up the CPU quite a lot.

My next step would be to turn off EIST in the BIOS and use the Voodoopower.kext again, which leads to my questions :)

To which state does Voodoopower turn the CPU when the system goes to sleep? If my theory is true, it should be running without powersaving (e.g. lower frequency) when going to sleep for proper sleep/wake.

Does Voodoopower's speedstepping even work when EIST is disabled in the BIOS?

hi guys, i don't know why my mac can not install the voodoopower kext. It's just crashed immediately after using KextHelper to install voodoopower. I have to turn off power, then I check Extensions folder, voodoopower kext never been in there. If you guys have met this issue, please help. Or please give me a link where i can sort it out. I've searched around, but i can't find the solution.

My Hacinstosh specs:

Dell Studio 1735, iDeneb 10.5.8, Intel Core 2 Duo.

Here's how to be your own kexthelper.

drag voodoopower.kext to the extensions folder (a message will appear saying it's not installed properly, ignore it) open Terminal and do

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R go=u-w /System/Library/Extensions

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

rm -rv /System/Library/Extensions.mkext