2. 2. Does it work successfully?

• Yes, no issues
    • Yes, minor issues/annoyances
    • No, Intel Pentium M/4/D
    • No, Intel Core or newer
    • No, AMD K8
    • No, AMD K10 or newer
    • No, other CPU
  3. 3. How do you rate the usefullness of VoodooPower?

• No use
    • Poor
    • Mediocre
    • Useful
    • Very useful
    • My life depend on it

351 posts in this topic

So will I ... THANK YOU for the response.

M

One week with TStateControl to "NO" and no crash. The CPU speedstep function does not work and the speed is constantly maxed out. Isn't that the main purpose of the voodoopower.kext?

Finally managed to get some functionality out of this kext - it fixed my shutdown issue ( restart instead of shutdown ) but it doesn't affect the cpu throttling in any way . Also noticed something - sometimes apears on the loaded kexts list , sometimes not ?!

• 2 weeks later...

I am running the Giga UD3P mobo and was also having the KP issue about every three days. It would crash while trying to complete the process "zalloc did gc". Setting all TStateControl to "False" remedied this problem. I have now been running for over a week with no KP.

As I don't know much about processor architecture I was wondering if someone could answer this question. In the VoodooPower user manual it states that this feature is most applicable to older processors. If I am running the E8400 will there be any problem with having this value set as False?

Thanks.

i'm using voodoopower on both my hack, it works, but i see on both laptops the loss of 200mhz of cpu speed. this is reported both by cpu-x and sysctl -a | grep freq

hooks-TM:~ hook$ sysctl -a |grep freq

hw.busfrequency = 800000000

hw.cpufrequency = 548629308

hw.tbfrequency = 1000000000

hw.tbfrequency: 1000000000

hw.cpufrequency_max: 2011640796

hw.cpufrequency_min: 548629308

hw.cpufrequency: 731505744

hw.busfrequency_max: 731505744

hw.busfrequency_min: 800000000

hw.busfrequency: 800000000

this is the output taken on a core2 T7500 @2.2ghz, the other my laptop has a T7250 @2.0ghz and hw.cpufrequency_max report 1800000000 (about).

About my mac report 2.0ghz cpu too, like it lost the last pstate.

I've tried to read the voodoopower manual but i was not able to understand how to set it.

Anyone else run this problem?

(btw,removing the kext the cpu run full at 2.2ghz)

EDIT----

Solved changing UseEfiFsb to No in the .plist, i've read this issue is caused by the bad fsb assumed by kernel, but i don't know how to fix the (vanilla) kernel, so this workaround saved my 200mhz :(

This baby totally works for me! Gave me some trouble at first runs, loading/unloading so, decided to throw it in Extra folder.. no more troubles! Loads like a charm and works even better.. in fact, i'm tempted to say that it works better than speedstep under Windows. Windows either uses x12 (2400 MHz) or x15 (3000 MHz) while VoodooPower is using the multipliers in between too. No loss in performance, xBench confirms.

If that was not enough, it also manages to make the system show the correct cpu speed :whistle:

Since i stopped using AppleSMBOSEFI.kext and started patching SMBIOS via bootloader, i always have to correct cpu speed. Not with VoodooPower loaded.. it shows the correct 3 GHz.

After a month of using the big brother, now i'm using VoodooPowerMini.

Great work Superhai.. big Thanks.

Thanks for testing.

Humm... it is different from my result with Athlon X2 4050e. I can see pstate changes at least.

Does pstate stay at 0 even with only finder ?

By the way, I found that TSC difference between cores stay within less than 500 without my crude synchronization code. Voodoo Kernel engineers must have done some smart job.

Will you try this one ?

This is what I am working on ( to support both Intel and AMD )

VoodooPower.kext.zip

I just want to thank you hnak and superhai for this lovely peace of kext! Everything works greate and my hackintosh finally runs without annyoing sounds of my way too loud fan! :(

Thank you!

I use: AMD64 X2 4600+ (K8)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ѕиоѡ

Hi lads,

I'm trying to adjust the vcore to 1162 for my Q6600 when it runs at 2 Ghz but it does not work. In Windows 7 the lower vcore does all the cooling in my case. In OSX I'm still at >40° and in windows around mid 30's or less (same Mhz but lower vcore)

Without the lower vcore my Quad doesnt seem to get any cooler in mac so not much use.

I've edited the plist with 'true' switch and 1162 mv setting for min voltage.

Thx in advance

Hey Superhai i know it may sound stupid but i wanted to thank you! Great work!! We all owe so much to you and everybody who works on osx86!

Btw voodoopower works very well on my machine (core2duo on gigabyte 945zm), while "old" speedstep kext didnt change frequency due to an incorrent voltage reading!

My clock seems to run fast.

Asus P5QL-EM motherboard, E6600 CPU (266 FSB, 9x multiplier, 2.4 GHz)

iPC .6 updated to .7 via software update, 9.7.0 Voodoo kernel, Chameleon 2 RC1

Without VoodooPower, System Profiler reports my CPU as 3 GHz. CPU-X reports my FSB as 333 MHz x 9.

With VoodooPower, SpeedStep works. System Profiler reports my CPU as 2.4 GHz. CPU-X reports my FSB as 333 MHz x 7 when running at max CPU clock (2.4 GHz).

With VoodooPower, my clock runs very fast. Audio and video playback seem to be unaffected.

hi! It doesn't work for me. Got freezes and kernel panic on my AMD (X2 3800+ @ 2,6GHz) machine. It doesnt work any version of VoodooPower neither full nor lite version. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

on my thinkpad x61s it works partialy. after installing voodoopower and voodoobatery my hardware information reports 1418MHz instead of 1600MHz. bus speed is correct. i`ve seted bus and max cpu frequency in smbios.plist.

cpu-x is reporting the right bus speed, cpu frequencs without voodoopower 1600MHz and with voodoopower installed 1418MHz.

cpu: L7500 low voltage Core 2 Duo

fsb: 800MHz

bus speed 200Mhz

the strange thing is, that score from ibench is the same @1418MHz and @1600MHz. could it be, that the cpu frequency is reportat false?

Works perfectly on a Dell B130 with a Pentium M 760 2ghz. I was looking for an alternative to IntelEnhancedSpeedstep.kext because it was giving me random kernel panics on startup and incorrect timing on wake from sleep. VoodooPower.kext seems to have resolved all those issues. My fan doesnt run as often and the laptop is waaaaay cooler than before. It used to burn my left leg! Steps very well between pstates too. No loss of performance when I run xBench. Very nice work superhai! B)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this awesome utility. Is there a way to set it so that when the power is plugged in, it will stop modulating cpu usage or go to full available cpu until the power source is unplugged??

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for this awesome utility. Is there a way to set it so that when the power is plugged in, it will stop modulating cpu usage or go to full available cpu until the power source is unplugged??

Yes, you can edit the Info.plist inside the kext, change the "PStateLimitLow" option to 32 in the "OnAc" section.

I have successfully undervolted and underclocked a q6600 using this kext but the settings does not apply when I boot. The kext is loaded at boot, but I have to reload it to get settings in Info.plist, how do I solve this?

Hi to all and thx for the great kexts...

First i tryed the mini version of the kext and worked great, but then i wanted to be able to manage the voltages a lil better so i swiched to the "big brother"... all seems to work fine but i cant go lower then 1.187v, is this a CPU limit (i don't think so) or am i doing something wrong?

Does the BIOS settings have any effect om this, becouse i have my vCore set to 1.20v?

Hi to all and thx for the great kexts...

First i tryed the mini version of the kext and worked great, but then i wanted to be able to manage the voltages a lil better so i swiched to the "big brother"... all seems to work fine but i cant go lower then 1.187v, is this a CPU limit (i don't think so) or am i doing something wrong?

Does the BIOS settings have any effect om this, becouse i have my vCore set to 1.20v?

On my Q6600 I cannot go lower than 1.162 V, it's the cpu which limits, cannot go lower in xp using rmclock either.

The kext does not load at boot on my q6600, I tried both in /Extra/Extensions and the default extensions folder. However, VoodooPowerMini.kext loads at boot on my eee, but not when I lock it to the lowest multiplier in the plist.

How do I solve this?

Yes, you can edit the Info.plist inside the kext, change the "PStateLimitLow" option to 32 in the "OnAc" section.

I have successfully undervolted and underclocked a q6600 using this kext but the settings does not apply when I boot. The kext is loaded at boot, but I have to reload it to get settings in Info.plist, how do I solve this?

Thanks You!

On my Q6600 I cannot go lower than 1.162 V, it's the cpu which limits, cannot go lower in xp using rmclock either.

The kext does not load at boot on my q6600, I tried both in /Extra/Extensions and the default extensions folder. However, VoodooPowerMini.kext loads at boot on my eee, but not when I lock it to the lowest multiplier in the plist.

How do I solve this?

Just now i tried it on Intel E5200 and i managed to go as low as 987mV ;)

I always install the "power" kext with OSX86Tools and they load fine...