ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

VCH888

1,156 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or guidance related to this earlier post by myself. I feel I am so close and yet something just does not make sense with the line out settings. Thx

@Elventanis

Can you use Property List Editor? Compare my info.plists and your patched info.plist. They might be a little bit differnece. You need to look at pathmap.

P.S. I've learnt how to edit info.plists of AppleHDA.kext by comparing other members' works and members' guides for several months. Now, I am still learning more.

@Elventanis

Can you use Property List Editor? Compare my info.plists and your patched info.plist. They might be a little bit differnece. You need to look at pathmap.

P.S. I've learnt how to edit info.plists of AppleHDA.kext by comparing other members' works and members' guides for several months. Now, I am still learning more.

Thanks tmongkol

I will try and compare these tomorrow when I get back home. My current sound is working after use the AppleHDA Patcher program as mentioned earlier, so I think the info.plist might be slightly different, but I will see what I can find.

Should I use any particular set of files from the first post, or are they going to be all simialr. for example should I use the 3 Out/2 In or the 4 Out/In etc.

Thx

@numberonekiwi

If you're back to read this thread. I found a site that might be interesting for you.

How to get 5.1 audio out of AAC-surround-encoded audio

I've never tried it yet.

Yes thanks for that site I already tried it but on its own sort of worked but not how I wanted it to but using that guide with Soundflower installed worked a charm

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!!!!!!

I thought it is not possible to get my sound working, because I read many topics, but with no result.

I follow the guide in this file: How_to_patch_DSDT_with_LAN_and_HDEF_functions_including_LegacyHDA.zip

my motherboard: Gigabyte EP45 Extreme with 889a

Edit/

One question:

sound works fine, but there is a little problem.

when i do not use the speaker, it seems they turn into sleep mode.

if i turn a song on, there is first a big horrible noise and then the music plays fine.

do you have a fix for that?

Hi

I have P55A-UD4P with ALC889

tried your kext (with HDAENABLER and with dsdt injection)

unfortunately it doesn't work

I get the following assersyion error upon boot:

12/25/09 12:15:02 PM kernel Sound assertion ""( kRequestStateCORB == fCodecRequest->state ) = CORB engine stuck or response was missing"" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 2013 goto handler

12/25/09 12:15:02 PM kernel Sound assertion "0 != err" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/IOHDAFamily/IOHDACodecDevice.cpp" at line 128 goto Exit

12/25/09 12:15:10 PM kernel Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1459 goto Exit

12/25/09 12:15:10 PM kernel Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 172 goto ExitDSMOS has arrived

12/25/09 12:15:10 PM kernel Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1459 goto Exit

12/25/09 12:15:10 PM kernel Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 172 goto Exit

Hi All,

I have now got the sound working on my 889a (Gigabyte X48 DS5) but i cant get it to stop popping when i initiate anything that uses sound i.e. turning up the volume...

Can anyone tell me what i need to do to stop that from happening?

Thanks in advance

:pirate2:

Hi guys!

My ALC889A has been working flawlessly since September with the help of this thread but just recently I updated from SL 10.6.1 to 10.6.2. I replaced my sleep enabler kext to solve my kernel panics on bootup but now I just realized my audio is not working properly.

I can hear my Mac Sound Effects but for some strange reason any type of media audio does not come out. iTunes or any other app that outputs media will be silent. I checked Sound in System preferences and everything looks fine.

You guys have any idea?

Thanks in advanced!

Hi guys!

My ALC889A has been working flawlessly since September with the help of this thread but just recently I updated from SL 10.6.1 to 10.6.2. I replaced my sleep enabler kext to solve my kernel panics on bootup but now I just realized my audio is not working properly.

I can hear my Mac Sound Effects but for some strange reason any type of media audio does not come out. iTunes or any other app that outputs media will be silent. I checked Sound in System preferences and everything looks fine.

You guys have any idea?

Thanks in advanced!

Would you try using appleHDA from 10.6.1? I heard 10.6.2 has some problems in that area.

Hi

I have a Gigabyte P55-UD5 board with ALC889A sound. Currently, the only thing i was able to get was stereo sound from the green jack using VoodooHDA.kext However, since i have a SPDIF input speaker system, i would very much like to make at least SPDIF output to work.

I am using a modified DSDT.aml from here, a vanilla AppleHDA.kext that I patched with the codec info i found on page 32 (poster osxchat has the same board), and a Legacy kext i got from the first page, 885 from the first post link (i used a 3 outs 2 ins HDA kext for 885)

There are no devices for sound, but i'm getting this in system profiler under audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A102

Audio ID: 885

And a list of all available devices.

Are there any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Would you try using appleHDA from 10.6.1? I heard 10.6.2 has some problems in that area.

Thanks! I will definitely try that! It's so hard to search for specific issues because it's so generalized. I appreciate the lead you gave me. :P

I've been using an external USB Behringer sound card for audio w/ 100% success. The only problem w/ the device is it does not have any microphone port. I've tried using the line-in jacks but the signal is way to low and would require the use of a preamp..

So, I've decided to see if I can get my UD3P's onboard sound working. This is probably in here (currently reading all 34 pages).

I've got a UD3P w/ ALC889a audio. Does anyone happen to have the DSDT snippets needed for this board (I'm still using Device (AZAL) )? I'm not interested in surround sound (if this makes it easier) - just the normal pink/audio out and green/microphone jacks. I've got front mounted jacks as well (Antec 900 case) but I really don't care if they work or not.

Like I said, I'm in the process of going through this entire thread to see if it's covered, but one thing I've found on Insanely is there's a lot of trouble shooting (esp in very long threads like this one) and it makes nailing down specifics difficult.

SL 64 bit, but no problem using 32bit if ALC889a and 64 is problematic.

WOo got it working.

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A102

Audio ID: 885

running under SL x64 10.6.2, using a LegacyHDA I found on here + an HDEF DSDT. Love this site!

Which LegacyHDA did you use to get this working? Do you have sound in 5.1 or is it only on the front speakers?

I think I know what is wrong with ALC889 with P55

looking at my IOREG (attached) I can see that

device-id is set to "V;"

instead of 3b 56

I tried using this in my dsdt without success

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				Return (Package (0x02)
				{
					0x0D, 
					0x05
				})
			}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x0C)
					{
						"device-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x56, 0x3B, 0x00, 0x00
						},

"built-in", 
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x01
						}, 

"codec-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
						}, 

"layout-id", 
						/**** Is ResourceTemplate, but EndTag not at buffer end ****/ Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
						}, 

"device-type", 
						Buffer (0x10)
						{
							"Realtek ALC889A"
						}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						Buffer (0x28)
						{
							/* 0000 */	0x10, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x01, 0x20, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x02, 
							/* 0008 */	0x80, 0x30, 0x81, 0x01, 0x90, 0x40, 0x21, 0x02, 
							/* 0010 */	0x30, 0x40, 0x11, 0x01, 0x40, 0x40, 0x01, 0x01, 
							/* 0018 */	0x50, 0x60, 0x01, 0x01, 0x60, 0x20, 0x01, 0x01, 
							/* 0020 */	0x70, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01, 0xA0, 0x01, 0xCB, 0x01
						}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}

Omri___s_iMac.zip

• 2 weeks later...
my audio is working; the only thing is, that I do not get any audio in plex, if I run audio or video files? If I switch between the options, I can hear the clicking sound. What can I do?

I'm working on SL 10.6.2. Hardware setting look at my signature.

Once you're in plex you need to go settings and then pick the correct audio device....hope this helps

I got it!! Enjoying crystal clear sound out of the mighty green audio jack!

Read here for further information.

Ok, I should punish myself for beeing so dumb, but hey, nobody's perfect :-)

Inside my Extra/Extensions folder I had a kext called AD1988b.fix.kext or something like that and this little file seemed to be responsible for the AppleHDA as well, causing it not to load the right way on startup. I deleted it, cleaned caches and BAM!, sound was working right from the start :-)

So, for everyone who uses my setup (meaning a Gigabyte EP45-DS3 with ALC889a) should use exactly, what I provided in the initial post beneath this paragraph.

A short list for everyone, what I did:

1. Patched my DSDT.aml with the additional code shown beneath this paragraph with the help of tmongkol's guide.
  2. Used the 4out2insHDA LegacyHDA.kext from the ALC889a_LayoutID_885.zip for Alc889a/10.6.2 without the BuiltInHDA and including HDAEnabler.kext
  3. Did nothing to the AppleHDA.kext.
  4. Rebooted between every step.

tmongkol, you're a genius! And thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, you guys rock!

Now, let's see, what Adobe CS4 says to its new environment ;-P

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok guys,

I can feel it, I'm just a few steps away from my audio working but I definitely can'f figure out the last step. It would be nice if somebody could help me out here.

My Hardware Setup:

Gigabyte EP45-DS3

ALC889a Sound

PowerColor HD4850 graphics

2 SATA drives (Seagate), each 1.5 Tb

2 SATA DVD-Drives

OS X Setup:

SL 10.6.2 vanilla install working flawlessly except audio

Chameleon RC4

Problem:

The Audio doesn't work. In my System Settings no audio input/output device is shown, but the System Profiler gives an me Intel Integrated Definition Audio with the Device ID set to 0x1458A002 (Dec: 3141352450) and a Layout ID set to 885. As the Layout ID is determined by the DSDT.aml and this is my desired outcome, I think I did everything right when patching it

Here is the audio part of my DSDT.aml residing in my E/E-folder:

Device (HDEF)
		{
		   Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
		   {
			  Return (Package (0x02)
			  {
				 0x0D, 
				 0x05
			  })
		   }

{
				Store (Package (0x08)
					{

"codec-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10	
						}, 

"layout-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00   
						}, 

"device-type", 
						Buffer (0x10)
						{
							"Realtek ALC889A"	 
						}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						Buffer (0x18)
						{
							/* 0000 */ 0x10, 0x44, 0x11, 0x01, 0x20, 0x14, 0x01, 0x01, 
							/* 0008 */ 0x40, 0x4C, 0x21, 0x02, 0x50, 0x34, 0x81, 0x01, 
							/* 0010 */ 0x60, 0x9C, 0xA1, 0x02, 0xF0, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01
						}
					}, Local0)
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

Next, I downloaded LegacyHDA.kext from this package: ALC889a_LayoutID_885.zip for Alc889a/10.6.2 without the BuiltInHDA and including HDAEnabler.kext, chose the 4out2inHDA-Legacy and put it in my Extra/Extensions folder on my Boot USB Thumb. My AppleHDA.kext is the original Kext from SL-DVD. (7.5 Mb in size)

I'm getting a little bit desperate right now, because I have absolutely no clue what to do next or where to start from.

Things I tried:

• Testing every LegacyHDA.kext from the above mentioned package. Outcome was the same with every file.
  • Comparing LayoutIDs/CodecIDs in LegacyHDA.kext and DSDT.aml and they matched all.
  • Trying out another Vanilla AppleHDA.kext for 10.6.2 from this forum that was 1.3 Mb in size. Didn't change anything except some sound-assertion errors on boot. (Which aren't responsible for my audio not working, as far as I know and read here)

Did I miss something during the process?

I'll provide everything from my setup that you guys need, just say it :-)

greetz and thx in advance :-)

945GCM-S2C

-Stock S/L/E

-GigabyteALC6626Ch.kext in /E/E (after removing BuiltInHDA key per 1st post)

-HDEF edit in DSDT

Sound works on green port, haven't bothered trying SPDIF from header since I think I messed up adaptor the other day. Either way I'm happy, thanks OP

Hi, i'm writing again since i got no anwsers and wasn't able to get any sound while trying almost all of the combinations described on the first page.

I have the following section in my DSDT file:

Device (HDEF)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)

{

Return (Package (0x02)

{

0x0D,

0x05

})

}

{

Store (Package (0x0A)

{

"built-in",

Buffer (One)

{

0x01

},

"codec-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10

},

"layout-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00

},

"device-type",

Buffer (0x10)

{

"Realtek ALC889a"

},

"PinConfigurations",

Buffer (0x28)

{

/* 0000 */ 0x10, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x01, 0x20, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x02,

/* 0008 */ 0x80, 0x30, 0x81, 0x01, 0x90, 0x40, 0x21, 0x02,

/* 0010 */ 0x30, 0x40, 0x11, 0x01, 0x40, 0x40, 0x01, 0x01,

/* 0018 */ 0x50, 0x60, 0x01, 0x01, 0x60, 0x20, 0x01, 0x01,

/* 0020 */ 0x70, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01, 0xA0, 0x01, 0xCB, 0x01

}

}, Local0)

Return (Local0)

}

}

I am using an original AppleHDA.kext from SL 10.6.2, i'm not sure if this can remain unchanged.

I tried almost all legacy kexts available on the first page, but to no success. I'm just not sure what to try next.

The board is Gigabyte's P55-UD5, with Realtek ALC889A. User osxchat had the same board and he extracted a codec dump and posted it here. What is that for exactly?

Any help would be apreciated, i'm really at a loss here.

Need a little help getting my ALC889a sound to work.

Mac OS 10.6.2

Gigabyte ga-p55-ud4p

Core i5-750

8 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

GeForce 9800 GT 512MB

HITACHI Deskstar HD31000 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb

I have a custom DSDT for my mobo edited w/ the HDEF fixes compliments of tonymac's blog.

Here is what I've tried so far:

AppleHDA.kext alone (this was the kext included in tonymac's dvd, 10.6.1 version i think) FAIL

AppleHDA.kext + LegacyHDA888.kext (both from the tony dvd) FAIL

AppleHDA.kext + LegacyHD.kext (a 889a version posted on tonys blog) FAIL

VooDoo.kext recent version in place of applehda. Sound out of the line out jack, but not the speaker jack. Also line in jack is distorted So this is a WASH

I'd love to get the working correctly. thanks.

Need a little help getting my ALC889a sound to work.

I have a custom DSDT for my mobo edited w/ the HDEF fixes compliments of tonymac's blog.

Here is what I've tried so far:

AppleHDA.kext alone (this was the kext included in tonymac's dvd, 10.6.1 version i think) FAIL

AppleHDA.kext + LegacyHDA888.kext (both from the tony dvd) FAIL

AppleHDA.kext + LegacyHD.kext (a 889a version posted on tonys blog) FAIL

VooDoo.kext recent version in place of applehda. Sound out of the line out jack, but not the speaker jack. Also line in jack is distorted So this is a WASH

I'd love to get the working correctly. thanks.

I finally managed to get it to work. The final solution was:

AppleHDA.kext, unmodified but not from 1.6.2 SL. I had to use 1.6.1 (you can find that in tonymacs snow leopard folder), installed via Kext Helper.

LegacyHDA.kext from the first post : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=53344 installed by copying to Extra/Extensions

I used the 3ins2outs HDA kext, since it was the only one to give me digital output, the ones with 4 outs had no digital output.

After that i ran both System/Library/Extensions and Extra/Extensions through Kext Utility and then repaired permissions for the disk using Disk Utility, rebooted and everything worked, i just had to pick the desired output from System Preferences -> Sound.

Now i finally have a digital link between my Z-5450 speakers and my 'Mac'. Thanks for help everybody.

managed to get audio (alc889a) working 99.9% dsdt+custom pin config+LegacyHDA.kext. I do get a pop when i reboot/shutdown from my speakers, and hearing static when i plug in headphones into front audio port. maybe i need to replace my speaker with something new as i had these for a while now. thnx

Which LegacyHDA did you use to get this working? Do you have sound in 5.1 or is it only on the front speakers?

I too would like to get a hold of a working DSDT and audio solution to get my onboard ALC889a working properly. Sounds like this user has done it possibly...

The ports I use are: Microphone, Green audio out, Digital Out

I can not find a solution where the microphone works right. Does anyone have all these working in 10.6.2 on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P?

Thanks!