ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

VCH888

1,156 posts in this topic

update for P55A users:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...20&start=20

just update your bios (didn't work with F6 but work great with bios F7C)

this is the dsdt code (standard)

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				Return (Package (0x02)
				{
					0x0D, 
					0x05
				})
			}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x08)
					{
						"codec-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
						}, 

"layout-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
						}, 

"device-type", 
						Buffer (0x0F)
						{
							"Realtek ALC889"
						}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						Buffer (0x28)
						{
							/* 0000 */	0x10, 0x90, 0xA0, 0x90, 0x20, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x02, 
							/* 0008 */	0x80, 0x30, 0x81, 0x01, 0x90, 0x40, 0x21, 0x02, 
							/* 0010 */	0x30, 0x40, 0x11, 0x01, 0x40, 0x10, 0x01, 0x01, 
							/* 0018 */	0x50, 0x60, 0x01, 0x01, 0x60, 0x20, 0x01, 0x01, 
							/* 0020 */	0x70, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01, 0xA0, 0x01, 0xCB, 0x01
						}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

and attached is the LegacyHDA (also standard) which works from Extra/Extensions

no need to change original AppleHDA (at least the one in 10.6.2)

LegacyHDA.kext.zip

update for P55A users:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...20&start=20

just update your bios (didn't work with F6 but work great with bios F7C)

and attached is the LegacyHDA (also standard) which works from Extra/Extensions

no need to change original AppleHDA (at least the one in 10.6.2)

That's a good new for P55A users, ALC889.

Thank you.

I'd appreciate some help on getting ALC889A sound to work on my GA-P35-DS3R.

I'm using the DSDT.aml from this thread, with the graphics info changed to match my card. Now, System Profiler reports the following:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A002

Audio ID: 885

Available Devices:

Line Out:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

External Microphone:

External Microphone:

Headphone:

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Combo

S/P-DIF In:

...which I'm assuming is correct. I then tried placing different HDA legacy kexts from ALC889a_LayoutID_885.zip in /Extra/Extensions (without HDAEnabler), but still no output devices in System Preferences after reboot. I also tried replacing the 10.6.2 AppleHDA with the one from 10.6.0. No dice.

(By the way, to install a kext, I change its permissions to 755, its ownership to root:admin (except for AppleHDA in /System/Library/Extensions, which gets root:wheel). I then fix permissions using Disk Utility and rebuild caches using kextcache. This is the correct procedure, right?)

I'd appreciate some help on getting ALC889A sound to work on my GA-P35-DS3R.

I'm using the DSDT.aml from this thread, with the graphics info changed to match my card. Now, System Profiler reports the following:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A002

Audio ID: 885

Available Devices:

Line Out:

External Microphone:

External Microphone:

Headphone:

S/P-DIF Out:

S/P-DIF In:

...which I'm assuming is correct. I then tried placing different HDA legacy kexts from ALC889a_LayoutID_885.zip in /Extra/Extensions (without HDAEnabler), but still no output devices in System Preferences after reboot. I also tried replacing the 10.6.2 AppleHDA with the one from 10.6.0. No dice.

(By the way, to install a kext, I change its permissions to 755, its ownership to root:admin (except for AppleHDA in /System/Library/Extensions, which gets root:wheel). I then fix permissions using Disk Utility and rebuild caches using kextcache. This is the correct procedure, right?)

Could you post your DSDT.dsl?

Does anyone have more than just the green out working? my speakers have green+black, having to use a splitter to join them, would be nice if all the outputs worked like they do on Windows...

I tried this on my GIGABYTE GA-MA770 DS3 mobo with a ALC 888 and sadly I still only get 2.0 output. What I did was deleting my old AppleHDA.kext and VoodooHDA.kext from my Extensions folder, then installing the provided kext with KextHelper, rebooted with -f, repaired permissions and second reboot. No change, the Sound Pref Panel lists only 2.0 output :( Any advice?

btw. I'm using 10.5.8 with a AMD CPU. Also, System Profiles says "No Build in Audio"

I have A MSI 975x Platinum PU edition even though the manufacturer states that the audio codec integrated on the motherboard is ALC 882M , my Linux dumps tell me that it is actually ALC 888. ( just like 889a is actually 885)

Using the information on this forum I have edited the 1.6.2.a37 HDA kexts and was able to get all the analog ports working!!! :)

and the credit obviously goes to Tmongkol , The King , Taurga and everybody else who has contributed to working HDA

Working

Rear pink mic working

Rear green Internal Speakers working

Rear Blue line in working

Rear Black line out working

Rear Orange line out working

Rear Grey line out working

SPDIF in and out working ( People with digital audio equipment please confirm, I do not have the equipment to check)

Also Surround sound is fully working analog and digital (Stereo ,5.1 ,6.1 ,7.1,7.1 rear ,Quadraphonic ,Hexegonal ,Octagonal and Encoded Digital Audio)

Not Working

Front green Head Phones not working

Front pinkExternal Mic not working

I could not configure the external microphone front pink due to the codecs limitations it has only two analog ports in and one digital .. I had to chose in between ext mic or Line out.....

Somehow OSX does not allow more than 4 outputs therefore I have edited two different Kexts one only anolog outputs and one with 3 anolg outputs and a digital output ;

ALC888 Address 0 AppleHDA 1.6.2.a37 4 Anolog Outputs 2 Analog & 1 Digital inputs (Click to Download)

4Aout2Ainsysprefs.jpg4Aout2AinOutput.jpg

4Aout2AinInput.jpg4Aout2Ainsurround.jpg

ALC888 Address 0 AppleHDA 1.6.2.a37 3 Anolog 1 Digital Outputs 2 Analog & 1 Digital inputs (Click to Download)

3A1Dout2Ainsysprefs.jpg3A1Dout2AinOutput.jpg

4Aout2AinInput.jpg3A1Dout2Ainsurround.jpg

I hope It works for you

@ Tmongkol

Internal speakers working fine but Some how The HeadPhone doesn't work from the front green no mater what I did, I have used your AppleHDAplatform structure as a template checked the routing over and over seems to be correct but no success.....

can you help please...

thnx in advance

I tried this on my GIGABYTE GA-MA770 DS3 mobo with a ALC 888 and sadly I still only get 2.0 output. What I did was deleting my old AppleHDA.kext and VoodooHDA.kext from my Extensions folder, then installing the provided kext with KextHelper, rebooted with -f, repaired permissions and second reboot. No change, the Sound Pref Panel lists only 2.0 output :rolleyes: Any advice?

btw. I'm using 10.5.8 with a AMD CPU. Also, System Profiles says "No Build in Audio"

Could you capture a picture of Sound Output Preferences?  And, which AppleHDA.kext are you using?

Do you have legacy kext(s) for sound more than one in /Extra/Extensions?

Can you remove " all of Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized) " in Device (HDEF)? b/c you have it above already.

Ok, I removed it. Here are the contents of /Extra/Extensions:

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

fakesmc.kext

By the way, I noticed that I always get the following error messages in /var/log/kernel.log:

Feb 2 21:42:47 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1656 goto Exit

Feb 2 21:42:47 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 203 goto Exit

I used this kext: ALC888 4A out & 2A 1D in 1.6.2.a37

But now I did something very stupid, I installed the ALC888Audio.mpkg from this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36520

This gave me 2.0 output and Microphone support which is more then before but if I install any other audio kext now I will loose sound input and output completely until I install this package again.

Yeah I screwed up, help is greatly appriciated!

Could you capture a picture of Sound Output Preferences? And, which AppleHDA.kext are you using?

I used this kext: ALC888 4A out & 2A 1D in 1.6.2.a37

But now I did something very stupid, I installed the ALC888Audio.mpkg from this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36520

This gave me 2.0 output and Microphone support which is more then before but if I install any other audio kext now I will loose sound input and output completely until I install this package again.

Yeah I screwed up, help is greatly appriciated!

Are you using 10.5.#? Please remove ALCinject.kext, the package you installed has it. If you are using my patched AppleHDA.kext for ALC888 (or LegacyHDA.kext for ALC888 & vanilla AppleHDA.kext), you need to install HDAEnabler.kext for ALC888 by using Kext Helper.

I read through most of this thread, but I'm still confused. Which LegacyHDA should I be using for the Intel DX58SO with ALC889 audio under 10.6.X?

Thanks!

I think my LegacyHDA.kext or AppleHDA.kext will not work on Intel DX58SO (may be) due to its BIOS. GA-P55A, ALC889, had the same problem that couldn't use AppleHDA.kext in OS X 10.6; however, they can use AppleHDA.kext for their ALC889 after they updated their BIOS, for example.

I am sorry that my thread may not help you. Now, I am focusing on only Gigabyte (Intel) mobos.

Thanks for your help! I deleted the ALCinject.kext and back to no sound for now. Which kext should I install to get 5.1 output? My mobo is a GIGABYTE GA-MA770 DS3 with AMD CPU and ALC888 sound. My OS is 10.5.8.

EDIT: I installed ALC888_1.6.2a37 and the supplied HDA Enabler but I still can't select any input or output device and I don't have sound, however my SystemProfiler now shows this:

picture2uz.png

both sections look the same with a different device ID, any ideas?

Are you using 10.5.#? Please remove ALCinject.kext, the package you installed has it. If you are using my patched AppleHDA.kext for ALC888 (or LegacyHDA.kext for ALC888 & vanilla AppleHDA.kext), you need to install HDAEnabler.kext for ALC888 by using Kext Helper.

Thanks for your help! I deleted the ALCinject.kext and back to no sound for now. Which kext should I install to get 5.1 output? My mobo is a GIGABYTE GA-MA770 DS3 with AMD CPU and ALC888 sound. My OS is 10.5.8.

EDIT: I installed ALC888_1.6.2a37 and the supplied HDA Enabler but I still can't select any input or output device and I don't have sound, however my SystemProfiler now shows this:

Try the old one that you installed (from ALC888Audio.mpkg), I edited some in info.plist, adding Codecverbs and HP port. I think you should use the old one for your ATI/AMD mobo that works for you. Actually ALC888Audio,mpkg has 4 options (3 ports, 3 ports-digital, 6 ports, & 6 ports-digital).

Remove HDAEnabler.kext from /S/L/E and then install these kexts, ALC888_Skyy.zip , by using Kext Helper.

Ok, I removed it. Here are the contents of /Extra/Extensions:

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

fakesmc.kext

By the way, I noticed that I always get the following error messages in /var/log/kernel.log:

Feb 2 21:42:47 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1656 goto Exit

Feb 2 21:42:47 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 203 goto Exit

I really don't know about these sound assertions. Can you install AppleHDA.kext again by drag & drop it over Kext Utility? Restart and see what is going on.

Thank you very much for your efforts! Unfortunately your AppleHDA.kext makes my system kernel panic at boot ;)

I had 99% success with the 6 ports variant from the ALC888Audio.mpkg. I got 3 output lines, Front, S/C and Rear worked fine separately and I could make an aggregated device with Audio MIDI Setup, just I couldn't config it as Configure Speakers was grayed out and below "Output is not supported" was written.

Would a codec dump help?

Try the old one that you installed (from ALC888Audio.mpkg), I edited some in info.plist, adding Codecverbs and HP port. I think you should use the old one for your ATI/AMD mobo that works for you. Actually ALC888Audio,mpkg has 4 options (3 ports, 3 ports-digital, 6 ports, & 6 ports-digital).

Remove HDAEnabler.kext from /S/L/E and then install these kexts, ALC888_Skyy.zip , by using Kext Helper.

Could somebody tell me why I only have a digital input but no digital output for my ALC889A with patched DSDT and LegacyHDA.kext? I'm trying to get the S/PDIF output to work but I can't select it under sound properties. Strangely it is listed under the audio portion of my system profile. I'm on 10.6.2 btw.

Could somebody tell me why I only have a digital input but no digital output for my ALC889A with patched DSDT and LegacyHDA.kext? I'm trying to get the S/PDIF output to work but I can't select it under sound properties. Strangely it is listed under the audio portion of my system profile. I'm on 10.6.2 btw.

Hi, I had the same problem. I found out that i was using 4 outs 2 ins kext, but for digital output to work, i had to use the 3 outs 2 kext (for the same chip ofc.)

Hi, I had the same problem. I found out that i was using 4 outs 2 ins kext, but for digital output to work, i had to use the 3 outs 2 kext (for the same chip ofc.)

Thanks man, that solved the problem indeed! Thanks for helping somebody out :D

Hi!

I have SL 1.6.2 (mpkg original install, soft update) on Gigabyte ep45-ds3r f11e

6gb ddr2, evga 8800gt SC, core e5200, 2SATA HDDs ,ATA HDD and SATA DVD

ps2 kboard, usb mouse.

AHCI, HPET 64, only c1e, SATA boot order for main hdd(otherwise booter doesn't boot)

1.1.9 AsereBLN boot loader (http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=644&highlight=dsdt)

DSDT from http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=...=chameleon+dsdt

com.apple.boot.list

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>Wait</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

in L/P/S

func:

graph - QL/CI worked, ethernet, shut/reboot, usbs, AHCI, ram/proc ident in profiler

BUT no sound(

i have PCI Live5.1 gaming, worked with KX from this forum just once/

anyway, i decided to go with 889a

(Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A102

Audio ID: 0)

and, at last!)

it worked with http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...mp;hl=voodoohda

v254 (don't tried pref panel)

in S/L/E with original Apple HDA

installed with Kext Helper b7

tried almost everything from this topic and others for about 3days)

hope this helps

--

my extra/ext:

http://yfrog.com/jwscreenshot20100213at103p