Bootcamp: Technical Discussion

lane

176 posts in this topic

Well, I tried to boot the Debian net install CD (3.1R1a) on my DC mini, and it has problems. It boots, and gives you the initial prompt where you'd specify kernel parameters etc, after you hit enter you get a whole bunch of errors about a stuck keyboard controller, it finally times out and gives you the language selection screen, but at that point the keyboard no longer works... Using an Apple Pro keyboard...

Also, tried my Win2KPro cd, hangs on the checking the system or whatever the very first text output win2k gives you is...

So, it's not working with just any bootable Intel OS CD...

:angry:

Peace

hmm just did winxp sp1 on the imac I have here, installed fine but the drivers won't install. and it looks like knoppix 4 boots, so I wonder why debian wouldn't since knoppix is based on debian

to get you in to start, use a usb keyboard if you got one lying around, next if you open up the wiki, and go to the drivers link (Keyboard Key Assigner) you can remap another key to "delete" like for instance, the enter key down by the arrow keys. Then you can restart and have a ctrl+alt+enter act like ctrl+alt+delete

Nice! It worked! I ended up remapping the Right Apple Key to the Delete key.

Thanks, for hte quick help!

Timmay

Where is the Start up Control Panel for XP? I see it is supposed to be installed but I don't see anything for it anywhere..

start -> control panel -> performance and maintenance(assuming you don't have classic view on) and then startup disk.

You mean to choose which one to boot from, right?

hmm just did winxp sp1 on the imac I have here, installed fine but the drivers won't install. and it looks like knoppix 4 boots, so I wonder why debian wouldn't since knoppix is based on debian

Hi, so you got SP1 to install? Can you update to SP2?

Hi, so you got SP1 to install? Can you update to SP2?

Since the driver disk won't install on sp1, i copied the sp2 install to a cd, when you try to run it,

It doesn't let you, says you need 4 additional megs of free disk space to install. So I think it trys to put it's temp files on the boot partition. I'd recomend just making a slipstreamed cd for those of you that don't have a sp2 cd.

How to make a slipstream

Do you know if this enables you to install winxp to an external usb hard drive?

I thought someone tried this in an earlier thread and had success, I'd assume that in the xp installer if you can see the partition to install it to then you'd be set.

Someone should bench FEAR. I'm curious.

I won't be impressed with benchmarks until I see stuff like 9290 in 3DMark 05 (my 7900GT)

and 32 minimum, 52 average, 126 max in FEAR with 0% below 25 FPS, 23% between 25 and 40 FPS and 77% above 40FPS @ 1280x960 all settings on max.

No but seriously, its awesome that Apple decided to do this. It was a great move.

Someone run PCMark though... I want to see how the processor/RAM/etc perform.

Or even just run Sandra.

While I'm interested in game performance, I'd much prefer an all out picture of true system performance.

has anyone tried it on a hacked x86 system? or does it need to detect OS X on an EFI board?

I'll have to admit, as much as I'm into MS software, Apple sure does look out for their customers.. just one more reason for me to save up for the intel power mac(or whatever they're gonna call it.)

While it is appealing, it really is, one must also consider the bang for the buck theory.

Have you seen the power, opps, I mean MacBook Pro and Minimacintel SPEC scores?

They are terrible.

A QUAD G5 is needed to keep up, for example with a much cheaper dual core dual AMD system used for audio/video work, especially in the area of FPU. Now one might say who cares, but the bottom line is gaming drives this industry big time and gamers know all about FPU, the megahertz myth that Intel finally bowwed to a few years ago, and know that price to performance ratio is poor with mac products let alone the supported software, so for a gamer to go out and buy a mac that will underperform, let alone the HIGH END video/audio users, isn't really going to happen until MAC is truly faster and offers a lot of bang for the BANK!

Unitl then I see Hacked OSX on machines and individual driver development.

I also see VISTA in big trouble as the system requirments seem huge tagged along with its intrusive security features and possible lack of similar spotlight feature, it is a good time for apple, but they would be so better off releasing the OS, of course if all your doing is surfing the net, building webdesign, some graphics (photoshop) then it will do, but again, the AMD slams the doors shut on these machines with FPU crunching.

On the other hand, Intel is due to release a good CPU in June - will have to wait and see what that's all about! Meanwhile AMD is trying to solve their DDR2/3 latency problems for their new CPUS also due out.

In a nutshell, it's a great time for the consumer, but I don't see the justification of paying $2000 for a MacBook Pro that can be trumphed by a dual core Turion or next chip (July) with a hacked OS for about half the price.

just my

:)

You are right RETRO, but another consideration is the fact that some applications run faster in therir native hardware and some of them doesn't exist for the other OS. One example could be Motion or LiveType. Those are great applications for video and you can't find any simmilar in Windows.

I for example work video editing in a PC running Windows and make Credits with Livetype with my old slow G4.

I also work with Autocad, and need the mobility of a Laptop when I work in some Shows as a Live video creator.

But this is a question for another forum.

Let's see what offers BootCamp. Then we could make any judgement.

Thank you guys for your replies. Don't go to sleep and post!!!!

One example could be Motion or LiveType. Those are great applications for video and you can't find any simmilar in Windows.

Thank you guys for your replies. Don't go to sleep and post!!!!

True True, Motion is an excellent program. :construction:

Installed Firmware Fine. Booted into MAC OS, ran Boot CAMP, made drivers cdrom, repartitioned on the fly, rebooted, installed XP Pro great with drivers.

However, my MAC OS X is now corrupt on my MacBook Pro. Looks like my only choice is to reinstall everything. I am backup up my data now on the XP side using MacDrive and an HFS formatted firewire drive.

Anyway, someone thought to use the fsck_hfs to repair his MAC disk. It worked for him, but not for me. But if it works for others, here is the link:

Repair HFS after Boot Camp corrupts it

Someone should bench FEAR. I'm curious.

I won't be impressed with benchmarks until I see stuff like 9290 in 3DMark 05 (my 7900GT)

and 32 minimum, 52 average, 126 max in FEAR with 0% below 25 FPS, 23% between 25 and 40 FPS and 77% above 40FPS @ 1280x960 all settings on max.

No but seriously, its awesome that Apple decided to do this. It was a great move.

Someone run PCMark though... I want to see how the processor/RAM/etc perform.

Or even just run Sandra.

While I'm interested in game performance, I'd much prefer an all out picture of true system performance.

FEAR runs in 1280x900 on ultra high at an avg of 29.8 fps on a macbook pro.

a

Somebody kindly please try Quake 4, I would really love to see the results of a game that is actually capable of supporting and utilising dual core cpu's. The latest quake 4 patch is needed for this.

Thanks to anyone willing to help.

:poster_oops:

Don't know if people have seen this -

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/

but those wanting virtualisation... well.... it's here! I'm currently downloading it. What I really want to know is can I boot my Boot camp Windows partition from within it.... I'll let you know :-)

EDIT: I started a new topic in the dual booting forum (yes I know it's not actually dual booting!) so we can keep this thread purely for boot camp.

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=14184