Bootcamp: Technical Discussion

lane

176 posts in this topic

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Taking into account Colins competition is speculated to have sparked a new wave of macbook sales i'm not really suprised by this.

systemmanager20060405.gif

Included Amenities

For your convenience, Boot Camp burns a CD with all the Mac-specific drivers for Windows:

* Graphics

* Networking

* Audio

* AirPort wireless

* Bluetooth

* The Eject key (on Apple keyboards)

* Brightness control for built-in displays

This CD also installs a Startup Disk control panel for Windows. To find it, look for Startup Disk in the Performance and Maintenance section of the Windows XP Control Panel. See the Installation & Setup Guide for more details.

Using Windows on a Mac

Mac hardware operates differently from PCs, and this public beta does not support all features of the Mac in Windows. Learn more about running Windows on a Mac.

Mac OS X Leopard

Developers can learn all about the sixth major release of Mac OS X this century at Apple’s Worldwide Developer Conference, to be held August 7-11 in San Francisco.

EFI and BIOS

Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries.

Word to the Wise

Windows running on a Mac is like Windows running on a PC. That means it’ll be subject to the same attacks that plague the Windows world. So be sure to keep it updated with the latest Microsoft Windows security fixes.

Tell a Friend

Email people you think might be interested in Boot Camp for Intel-based Macs.

Feedback

Please provide bootcamp@apple.comfeedback to improve future versions of the software.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Taking into account Colins competition is speculated to have sparked a new wave of macbook sales i'm not really suprised by this.

systemmanager20060405.gif

Finally, Apple recognizes an easy way to sell more Mac Hardware!

Bravo Apple!

Finally, Apple recognizes an easy way to sell more Mac Hardware!

Bravo Apple!

A couple of funny quotes on the Apple page:

EFI and BIOS

Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries.

Word to the Wise

Windows running on a Mac is like Windows running on a PC. That means it’ll be subject to the same attacks that plague the Windows world. So be sure to keep it updated with the latest Microsoft Windows security fixes.

I want to know if it uses any of the code from the narf patch!

Interesting point, but I think Apple has been planning this for a long time, and given the early response by this community decided to release it to beta early, instead of waiting for Leopard. Being that everything works, including graphics, I think their approach was much different. But, you never know.

Nick

I just can't wait to see gaming performance on the Macbook now that there is official driver support. Regardless I am still going to wait for Merom because I crave 64-bit technology (so it is supported a wee bit longer).

Interesting point, but I think Apple has been planning this for a long time, and given the early response by this community decided to release it to beta early, instead of waiting for Leopard. Being that everything works, including graphics, I think their approach was much different. But, you never know.

Nick

Regardless, it's a good strategy. Why buy a Dell when you can buy a Mac. I bet some people will buy Macs just to run Xp because they like the ergonomics. This will skew the market share numbers as they will still be counted as Mac users. The Mac premium is now worth it because of the added value it brings to your HW purchase.

The delay was probably due to getting all the 3rd party EFI drivers ready at the same time. They couldn't release this with half the drivers working an the half not.

i wonder how much of this Microsoft knew about? and what they're feelings are about it. the bootcamp page is certainly a bit unpleasant about them. the bit about 'even Vista is stuck in last century's technology'. mwuahahahaaa.

go apple!

do you think we can use it soon? after 10.4.6. is 'ported' - this could be a rather good looking thing for us x86 users to boot xp. just hit a key once in a year, take the xp-option, boot.

'look, friend, my osx86' is straight forward mac - but if i like to do something with this crappy old xp, i just have to press a key at start - look at the nice graphics - and after that, for just a few minutes, mac-eXPerience is gone to total {censored} XP, after reset nothing will look like i will ever use this crappy os any more. always have *the possibility* to enter this 'downgrade-mode' by simply pressing a button - but i never use it.'

would highly appreciate if someone is trying to put this 'bootcamp'-thing to a wider x86 base...

I'm downloading right now. What sounds most interesting is that you may not need multiple partitions anymore, at least if I read things right. Of course, that just means I need to wipe my drive again.

*update* you have to apply the firmware update first. however, it looks like that firmware update will refuse to install if you have *ever* used Xom.efi in the past. Since I can't get past step 1. which means I think I'll have to wipe my drive at a minimum.

I'd say it's fairly reasonable to assume that apple wouldn't have provided users with this option if the fans weren't controllable on the MBP. Otherwise they'd have a lot of (already) angry users on their hands getting upset about downloading an apple file from an apple site to their apple computer following apple's install instructions, and having it all go to fudd.

But i'd get applecare just in case :P

I'm downloading right now. What sounds most interesting is that you may not need multiple partitions anymore, at least if I read things right. Of course, that just means I need to wipe my drive again.

Yeah, you will have to "undo" the XOM solution to try this out. I'm backing up as we speak.

ha, i bet you Dvorak is so right... apple shippimg windows ready pc's

job's is such a weasle, he doesn't give a {censored} about the mac loyal fanbase, he'll introduce Windows on Intel! and sell it like it's never been done before, ha ha. He'll tell them all, like Shatner, told the "Trekkies"... to "Get A Life"

it's all about Greenbacks, homeboy!

oh and one more thing, we're already on intel, if you don't believe it.

ha ha I'm still laughing... I actually quite like mac and loathe windows but the whole apple closed shop is, in my view... totally un-supportable

Official News Thread is here: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=14061 Use the thread you're in now for tech talk.

I'll adjust the title of this thread for clarity's sake! Dang, you guys are quick on the posting. :-)

BTW, if you want to comment about a better way to do new posting, check out our thread on "User News Posting" in the Feedback forum. Thanks!

has anyone tried it on a hacked x86 system? or does it need to detect OS X on an EFI board?

I'll have to admit, as much as I'm into MS software, Apple sure does look out for their customers.. just one more reason for me to save up for the intel power mac(or whatever they're gonna call it.)

does this mean Apple has to support windows xp now? I garuntee customers are going to be calling everyday asking why theres a blue screen with a bunch of hash in front of them!!

pretty much, apple just pwned us. though im glad that this works. Vista support?

what about using their efi drivers with the old solution for dual-booting xp? is this even possible? well, I think i may be getting a macbook soon.

has anyone tried it on a hacked x86 system? or does it need to detect OS X on an EFI board?

This is not an OS X feature, it's an Apple hardware/EFI feature. It won't do any good on a hacked x86 System.

Sorry.

(This functions before OS X even loads.)

Yeah, try it out and keep us posted of your progress in this thread! We're all on the edge of our seats. :)

I'm hurrying... Backup's about to finish, then I'm off to cook my disk and start over.