Bootcamp: Technical Discussion

lane

176 posts in this topic

Hi. John the Geek couldn't you just try any new 3D games like Quake 4 or Elder scroll 4 of Oblivion or anything new which require a LOT of pure 3D power, put every setting to the MAX and post how many Frames per second you get - that would tell me a lot more then som number fra a benchmark, Benchmarks suffer from testing one aspect of performance at a time, running a game would show more "real life" performance.

HEY!!!! I successfully booted from the Fedora Core 5 CD1.

Legacy Boot we have!!!! =)

EDIT:

I threw out my Vista Beta... I'll have to run over to my co-worker and grab another copy.

So right now you can install Windows / Linux or any other x86 OS?

What if you install first windows and then mac (like us with our hackintosh :) )

who long is the time trial apple says?

That's a good question - has anyone figured out if there are any actual time limits on this beta and, if so, how long it lasts?

Oh, and great job everyone; keep the reports coming!

Here's the answer to the trial expiry thing:

Term of License. The term of this License shall commence upon your installation or use of the Apple Software and will terminate automatically without notice from Apple upon the next commercial release of the Apple Software, or September 30, 2007, whichever occurs first. Your rights under this License will also terminate automatically without notice from Apple if you fail to comply with any term(s) of this License. Upon the termination of this License, you shall cease all use of the Apple Software and destroy all copies, full or partial, of the Apple Software.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/terms.html

Hi. John the Geek couldn't you just try any new 3D games like Quake 4 or Elder scroll 4 of Oblivion or anything new which require a LOT of pure 3D power, put every setting to the MAX and post how many Frames per second you get - that would tell me a lot more then som number fra a benchmark, Benchmarks suffer from testing one aspect of performance at a time, running a game would show more "real life" performance.

Unfortunately, I have no such games to test. Sorry.

For all you out there that are interested, I'm running a 3d mark right after I finish this decussion and will post the results. Next I'm a 3d animator and use the maya software package from alias... IT RUNS AMAZING!!!!!! Next up is solidworks after 3d mark, but so far my little macbook pro seems to be hauling some serious 3d keister!

For those curious, running a macbook pro, 17inch with 2gb of ram and 100gb 7200 hd.

K off with 3d mark we go!

For all you out there that are interested, I'm running a 3d mark right after I finish this decussion and will post the results. Next I'm a 3d animator and use the maya software package from alias... IT RUNS AMAZING!!!!!! Next up is solidworks after 3d mark, but so far my little macbook pro seems to be hauling some serious 3d keister!

For those curious, running a macbook pro, 17inch with 2gb of ram and 100gb 7200 hd.

K off with 3d mark we go!

They don't make a 17" MacBook Pro. 15" perhaps?

Unfortunately, I have no such games to test. Sorry.

As a note to this, in maya, i pulled up a scene of a piano I have, has around 108,000 polygons in it, and can still roll in 3d at 19.5 frames a second. On top of that I did an interactive hair simulation calculating 100 strands of hair with a collision, each hair being around 50 polygons in real time. On top of that I was able to rotate and zoom simulatiously while maintaining a 28.9fps. For those of you looking for a referance, I did this on my dell 8500, it rotates the piano at 3fps and does the hair sim at 11. As well for those of you that say well maya starts in osx through rosetta, it only rotates at 12fps for the piano and the hair sim is at 18. Naturally I'm sure we'll see those speeds increase when my becomes a universal app but for now, windows is faster... key words... for now!

They don't make a 17" MacBook Pro. 15" perhaps?

ooopppppssss yes, 15inch, lol the powerbook i have is 17

WOOOO HOOO! Finally it partitioned.... I stuck the 8.5GB file on an external drive I found and it had no complaints at all :-)

It must have a problem shifting big files around on the disk..... I hope they fix this in future releases although if you do it as soon as you get you macintel then it shouldn't matter.

Windows is installing, I'm going to put a VERY stripped down version on and see how fast I can get it running. I'll post some scores when I have them.

k So, 3dmark 2006 scores:

1518 3dmarks

sm2.0: 523

HDR: 670

CPU 1650

Avg. around 6 fps the entire thing at 1280x768 with all the default settings

Macbook Pro Duo 15" 2.0ghz and 2gb of ram.

Now I'm going to try something probably really dumb, and put on omega drivers.... Wish me luck!

Sounds like it's not actually gonna stop working, it'll just become illegal.

Good find Mashugly :-)

One thing I noticed is that I can boot any cd now, including win98... I haven't tried installing them but it seems that you could actually install anything on any partition now, anyone tried booting knoppix?

Omega drivers do install and do function, re-running 3dmark now, will post results when it finishes. As a note, it seems to be running about 2-3fps faster. This is with no edits to increase video speed, just a clean install.

My windows installation is formatted NTFS. I didnt want interoperability in case a virus attacked. Doom 3 on ultra high settings keeps the fps pegged at 60 occasionally flashing 58. I understand that there is a limiter on there. I am amazed at the speed so far....Completely blows my AMD 3500+ venice out of the water. Im on a 20" imac w/ 1 gig ram

omega drivers put me to 1530, not much faster, but for those adventurous people you could overclock the video with omega drivers. For me, it's plenty fast! Especially for a laptop that only weighs 6 lbs.

Any chance someone could extract the keyboard driver? I use an Apple keyboard with windows, fuBootCampAssistant.pkgnctioning eject key would be nice.

If you extract the BootCampAssistant.pkg to a folder using Pacifist

then go inside of it Applications>Utilities and

right click on "Boot Camp Assistant" "Show Package contents"

then navigate to Contents>Resources and you will see "DiskImage.dmg" which you can mount and there is a .exe for windows drivers

picture17xr.png

Does anyone know how to do a CTRL-ALT-DELETE on the windows login screen?!! I added my MacBook to my home's domain and now i cannot log in! Doh!

Thanks, Timmay

to get you in to start, use a usb keyboard if you got one lying around, next if you open up the wiki, and go to the drivers link (Keyboard Key Assigner) you can remap another key to "delete" like for instance, the enter key down by the arrow keys. Then you can restart and have a ctrl+alt+enter act like ctrl+alt+delete

Well, I tried to boot the Debian net install CD (3.1R1a) on my DC mini, and it has problems. It boots, and gives you the initial prompt where you'd specify kernel parameters etc, after you hit enter you get a whole bunch of errors about a stuck keyboard controller, it finally times out and gives you the language selection screen, but at that point the keyboard no longer works... Using an Apple Pro keyboard...

Also, tried my Win2KPro cd, hangs on the checking the system or whatever the very first text output win2k gives you is...

So, it's not working with just any bootable Intel OS CD...

:angry:

Peace