VMware Retail Leopard Templates

Donk

393 posts in this topic

Thank you Donk,

what I find interesting is, that it seems like it starts to boot from the DVD (image), since after it crashs it shows the Apple Bootscreen (Dark Grey BG, Light Grey Apple Logo).

I'll try to get another Retail DVD, the one I got is very new one with OS X 10.5.4 preinstalled, maybe I should try an older one.

Regards

Patrick

Thank you Donk,

what I find interesting is, that it seems like it starts to boot from the DVD (image), since after it crashs it shows the Apple Bootscreen (Dark Grey BG, Light Grey Apple Logo).

I'll try to get another Retail DVD, the one I got is very new one with OS X 10.5.4 preinstalled, maybe I should try an older one.

Regards

Patrick

Anything showing as an error if you use -v boot option when booting the DVD.

Donk,

Do you know this situations where feel extremely stupid and very unsatisfied by the fact that something starts working?

I did the above steps a few times to create nice Screenshots, suddendly it worked. After booting from the Images -v shows me 2 block reading errors, before crashing. This time it showed the 2 errors before starting the installer.

The installer DVD check said the DVD would be ok....

I'm confused and I'd like to know what made the difference... After the installation is finished I'll try to reproduce the error (in a new VM ^^) ... Maybe we can learn something from it.

Thank you in any case ;-)

Patrick

PS: Robert, YOU didn't read MY question ;-P

Just one more thought ... The DVD Image is stored on my external HD (connected via USB2) maybe this made the whole process unstable ...

I worked it out!

The fact, that the DVD Image is stored on my external HD messes up VMWare after I abort the VMWare Tools installation on boot. The trick is so god damn easy, that you'll never get it, when you are trying to solve it: time. VMWare checks the USB Devices after the VMWare Tools image is removed, in this time frame it can't read the DVD Image, since the USB Drive is buisy.

Solution:

7.) I canceld the vmware tools installation

7.1) Wait 5 seconds

8.) I pressed esc, entered "9f" and hit enter

D'oh ;-)

.......... PS: Robert, YOU didn't read MY question ;-P ..........
You are right about that. Just like Donk hinted to me that he already had written something earlier about VMware Tools installation. I had to re-read and research myself. If I hadn't done that, I would still be asking about VMware Tools installation.

Instead I figured it out myself. And by writing how I did it, more people knew where the VMware Tools and the script coould be found in the VMware Fusion download.

But you already knew all about that of course.

BTW, I'm on Windows so I cannot install VMware Fusion. That's where the confusion started about steps 2, 3, and 4. Because you have a real Mac, you just install VMware Fusion, and by doing that, also the Tools. So you can update the tools before installing any guest OS.

Robert

P.S. Good to hear that you have sorted out the problem.

And I know what "abbrechen" is. Ich wohne nähmlich in Holland. So wir sind so eine Art Nachbarn.

I'm replying to Donk.

I don't mean to rush you but can I be one of your testers? I'm anxious to install to vmware workstation on windows with the latest voodoo kernel. I used your original templates to install on my core 2 duo laptop and moved the vm to my Pentium D machine and use bladerunner.iso to boot from an older voodoo kernel and it is SLOW. I'm reading a thread now on how to make my own boot 132 cd but no luck so far on having it actually be bootable. Do you have a bootable iso you can send me with just the latest voodoo kernel and necessary kexts for vmware? I know this was discussed on a different thread so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place. I am willing to swap cd/dvds or isos until you finish your newest templates using munkys method of using the hidden EFI partition. Thank you again for your help Donk.

Danny

I just haven't time at the moment to finish this. My other tester has limited success as do I on a Pentium 4D. Honestly I don't think it is going to work well, or I am going to have to look into what is causing it to crash. For example on my P4D runs for about 5 minutes then KPs.

I just haven't time at the moment to finish this. My other tester has limited success as do I on a Pentium 4D. Honestly I don't think it is going to work well, or I am going to have to look into what is causing it to crash. For example on my P4D runs for about 5 minutes then KPs.

So after testing on a variety of processors we have come to the conclusion this isn't going to work currently. Could not get VMware and Voodoo kernel running reliable or at all on some machines. So I won't be releasing the templates are frankly they will only disappoint! What I will do now is update the other templates and scripts with some of the other things I mentioned and release them, probably over the weekend. If you have a working system then no need to do anything. If you want to build one then the scripts have been fixed and also some of the VMX parameters changed e.g. useable on Linux without hacking.

Everything is working fantastic so far, but there's one thing I'm still not clear on. I've googled around about adding a different resolution to the com.apple.boot.plist but people only mention adding one. Is there a way to hard code a few resolutions into the System Preferences that you can choose from? Is there any other hack that lets you switch resolutions, even if requiring a reboot?

Everything is working fantastic so far, but there's one thing I'm still not clear on. I've googled around about adding a different resolution to the com.apple.boot.plist but people only mention adding one. Is there a way to hard code a few resolutions into the System Preferences that you can choose from? Is there any other hack that lets you switch resolutions, even if requiring a reboot?

I use different plist files in the root directory. The at boot prompt use config=/1024x768.plist or whatever you choose to call. it.

Hi :( Sorry for being a n00b and asking questions all the time but, how do you get VMware Tools to install? I selected the Darwin.iso that I extracted from VMware Fusion 2 to be read by my VM. Next I chose to install VMware Tools via the VM menu. What do I do next? Nothing but a BOOTEFI disc shows up on the (mac) desktop and thats it :( Am I doing anything wrong?

Also, does anyone know a non-destructive way of resizing the disk from 40GB to say 80GB? I tried looking online (such as here: http://blogs.developerfusion.co.uk/blogs/t...4/16/2629.aspx). However, I couldn't get GParted to merge the partitions. Any ideas? ;)

Hi :) Sorry for being a n00b and asking questions all the time but, how do you get VMware Tools to install? I selected the Darwin.iso that I extracted from VMware Fusion 2 to be read by my VM. Next I chose to install VMware Tools via the VM menu. What do I do next? Nothing but a BOOTEFI disc shows up on the (mac) desktop and thats it :) Am I doing anything wrong?

Also, does anyone know a non-destructive way of resizing the disk from 40GB to say 80GB? I tried looking online (such as here: http://blogs.developerfusion.co.uk/blogs/t...4/16/2629.aspx). However, I couldn't get GParted to merge the partitions. Any ideas? :)

Hi

Well my ISO image actually replaces the VMware one that is how it works its magic to load OSX on Workstation. You have to just manually mount the Fusion ISO via the CD drive defined in the guest. Then run the installer from Finder.

What is the partition scheme you are using? Disk Utility can resize partitions and there are options to merge from the command line.

Hi

Well my ISO image actually replaces the VMware one that is how it works its magic to load OSX on Workstation. You have to just manually mount the Fusion ISO via the CD drive defined in the guest. Then run the installer from Finder.

What is the partition scheme you are using? Disk Utility can resize partitions and there are options to merge from the command line.

Hi Donk :) Thanks for your reply. I have finally managed to successfully install VMware Tools. Thank you :)

I just use your standard partition scheme (GUID Partition Scheme). I don't exactly remember but when I resized Darwin.vmdk and tried using Disk Utility, I got an error on resizing the Darwin partition to take up the whole 79.xx GB; something along the lines of the partition map being too small or something like that, and the Darwin disk was stuck at 40 GB. Now this is my next target :)

i don't actually understand how you get this going. i would like someone to run through it again. if i do get anywhere, i get to the apple logo and it is at that screen for hours. i have enabled virtualization in the bios. i have the retail version of OS X btw and have added the boot loader to the ISO image setting in vmware.

just trying it today, all of a sudden i can't even get past the boot loader, whenever i press enter and it just presents me with the boot loader again. so i tried with 64-bit and the same thing happens there. i'm just really confused and i want someone to explain the steps again. i don't mean to sound like a n00b, i am actually quite savvy but i feel like a n00b now because i have been trying for days. it sfrustrating when people say they have done it - why doesn't mine work then? can someone run through it with me again?

i don't actually understand how you get this going. i would like someone to run through it again. if i do get anywhere, i get to the apple logo and it is at that screen for hours. i have enabled virtualization in the bios. i have the retail version of OS X btw and have added the boot loader to the ISO image setting in vmware.

just trying it today, all of a sudden i can't even get past the boot loader, whenever i press enter and it just presents me with the boot loader again. so i tried with 64-bit and the same thing happens there. i'm just really confused and i want someone to explain the steps again. i don't mean to sound like a n00b, i am actually quite savvy but i feel like a n00b now because i have been trying for days. it sfrustrating when people say they have done it - why doesn't mine work then? can someone run through it with me again?

Hi johnny_goboy :) The process is pretty straight-forward. Extract 'vmware-darwin-100.zip', fire up command prompt and navigate to the 'booter' folder. Then type the following command:

signiso workstation backup

NOTE: Use 'workstation' if you're using VMware Workstation. Else type 'player' or 'server' (without quotes) if you're using VMware Player or VMware Server.

Once backup is complete, exit command prompt and navigate to either Dawin-32 or Darwin-64 depending on which one you want to install (I used Darwin-64). Double click the 'Darwin.vmx' file. Click on 'Edit virtual machine settings' and set the virtual memory to whatever you like. Next, click 'CD/DVD (IDE)' and choose 'Use ISO image file:' and select your OS X ISO.

Now the fun part! :D Power on the virtual machine. It should come up to a console screen with 'boot:' showing. At this point click 'VM' and select 'Cancel VMware Tools Installation'. Now get into your virtual drive (Ctrl+G) and press Esc. Type in '9f' (without quotes) and press Enter. Press any key or wait 10 seconds for the DVD to boot up. Now hopefully all should go well and you'll be able to install OS X sans problems.

If you have any queries, post back. Good luck!

hi. thanks a lot man!! i figured where i was going wrong and within minutes of writing above post i worked it out. its going good now, only thing is it is locked on 1024 x 768. i've heard it is a nightmare to "up" the resolution. i am using Leopard 10.5.4 retail. actually it updated perfectly to 10.5.6 which was great. i tried the solution on the pcwiz page (http://######.com/index.php?Itemid=45&id=31&option=com_content&task=view) but it did not work because the folder SystemConfiguration and the file 'com.Apple.boot.plist' does not exist, even when added it doesn't do anything and i didn't think it would really. is there a fix?

john

hi. thanks a lot man!! i figured where i was going wrong and within minutes of writing above post i worked it out. its going good now, only thing is it is locked on 1024 x 768. i've heard it is a nightmare to "up" the resolution. i am using Leopard 10.5.4 retail. actually it updated perfectly to 10.5.6 which was great. i tried the solution on the pcwiz page (http://######.com/index.php?Itemid=45&id=31&option=com_content&task=view) but it did not work because the folder SystemConfiguration and the file 'com.Apple.boot.plist' does not exist, even when added it doesn't do anything and i didn't think it would really. is there a fix?

john

Awesome...Congrats :D The folder (/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration) should really exist. If you click Go > Computer > {name of disk} > library, 'Preferences' should be there. If you manage to find it, go into 'SystemConfiguration'. Copy out 'com.apple.Boot.plist' to your desktop for instance. Open it with Text Editor and after the last </string>, add these on a new line:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1440x900x32</string>

NOTE: Choose the resolution of your liking (WxHxD)

Then just move it back into the SystemConfiguration folder and authenticate it (will ask for your password). That should do the trick. It worked for me. Tell me how it goes for you :)

Now I have a question here :P How do I get the sound working on this thing? Following are my sound card details:

Audio Driver Version:

Audio Controller:

HD Audio

Audio Codec:

ALC268

Manufacturer:

Realtek

Hardware Ids:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0268&SUBSYS_103C30CC&REV_1000

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0268&SUBSYS_103C30CC

Any solution to that? Also Donk, I was checking your vmx file in Darwin-64. It has ich7m.present = "TRUE". I checked my bridge details and it reads ICH8(ICH8-ME). Do you reckon I should do anything about it? The sound is bugging me at the moment.

By the way, I managed to get VMware Tools installed :)

i shouldn't have spoken too soon. i can't get in to os x now. i can't get past the boot loader, i press enter or i press escape and type in 9f, but no joy. so what do i do now?

that folder SystemConfiguration didn't exist on mine.

how did you get VMware Tools going? i heard it wasn't possible.

Awesome...Congrats :D The folder (/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration) should really exist. If you click Go > Computer > {name of disk} > library, 'Preferences' should be there. If you manage to find it, go into 'SystemConfiguration'. Copy out 'com.apple.Boot.plist' to your desktop for instance. Open it with Text Editor and after the last </string>, add these on a new line:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1440x900x32</string>

NOTE: Choose the resolution of your liking (WxHxD)

Then just move it back into the SystemConfiguration folder and authenticate it (will ask for your password). That should do the trick. It worked for me. Tell me how it goes for you :P

Now I have a question here :P How do I get the sound working on this thing? Following are my sound card details:

Audio Driver Version:

Audio Controller:

HD Audio

Audio Codec:

ALC268

Manufacturer:

Realtek

Hardware Ids:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0268&SUBSYS_103C30CC&REV_1000

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0268&SUBSYS_103C30CC

Any solution to that? Also Donk, I was checking your vmx file in Darwin-64. It has ich7m.present = "TRUE". I checked my bridge details and it reads ICH8(ICH8-ME). Do you reckon I should do anything about it? The sound is bugging me at the moment.

By the way, I managed to get VMware Tools installed :D

Glad you got it working. Sound isn;t supported yet by VMware for OSX but this driver will work on a Windows VMware Workstation installation. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88597. Remember you have a virtual hardware platform not the real machine for chipset, sound, graphics and network, so not using the same drivers as host machine. The setting for ICH7M is for the guest and not the host and is crucial to the running of OSX on VMware. Do NOT change it or it won't boot,

i shouldn't have spoken too soon. i can't get in to os x now. i can't get past the boot loader, i press enter or i press escape and type in 9f, but no joy. so what do i do now?

that folder SystemConfiguration didn't exist on mine.

how did you get VMware Tools going? i heard it wasn't possible.

Have you actually got it installed or a you still trying? Are you using a compatible CPU?

VMware tools can be installed but not a lot works. There is a post in this thread about it.

i have it installed. all was fine last night. this morning not working at all.

Have you removed the leopard DVD or ISO from VMware settings? Otherwise I have no idea, as never seen it work one day and not the next.

Glad you got it working. Sound isn;t supported yet by VMware for OSX but this driver will work on a Windows VMware Workstation installation. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88597. Remember you have a virtual hardware platform not the real machine for chipset, sound, graphics and network, so not using the same drivers as host machine. The setting for ICH7M is for the guest and not the host and is crucial to the running of OSX on VMware. Do NOT change it or it won't boot.

Hi Donk :) Thank you so so much for that link! :D Sound has started working for me! w00t :( Funny thing about the that ICH7M stuff - I have already changed it to 'ich8m.present = "TRUE" ' and it's all working just fine :blink: Not sure what's going on here :wacko:

ah that's possibly it then. but i don't understand, once you have installed leopard why do you still need to mount the leopard iso, it's going to keep going into the leopard installer isn't it?

Hi johnny_goboy :) The thing is that you don't have to keep the Leopard ISO mounted. You can set the 'CD/DVD (IDE)' thing to Autodetect or whatever. Even if you do have the disc mounted, when you end up on the screen where you typed '9f', type '80' instead (First HD) and your machine should boot into OS X just fine.

By the way, keeping the Leopard ISO mounted won't land you into the installer (just tried it right now. Pressed enter and it fired up OS X :rolleyes: ).

I've not faced the problem of not being able to boot into OS X after reboot. As Donk asked, what's the CPU on your computer?

Hi Donk :) Thank you so so much for that link! :D Sound has started working for me! w00t :thumbsup_anim: Funny thing about the that ICH7M stuff - I have already changed it to 'ich8m.present = "TRUE" ' and it's all working just fine :blink: Not sure what's going on here :wacko:

Again trust me (10 years experience of VMware products, know someof the engineering team and have judged VMware competitions) you will end up breaking the guest. You are confusing host chipset and guest. The setting used is to tell the guest to build ACPI tables that emulate ICH7M chipset. It has nothing to do with your real machine. If you don't change it back you could end up with a stuck guest due to incompatible power states.