VMware Retail Leopard Templates

Donk

393 posts in this topic

I have the December 6th Voodoo kernel xnu-1228.7.58 (Darwin 9.5.0) that I want to combine with your vmdonk.iso from your darwin.zip so I can boot/install 10.5.4 from a retail dvd into vmware with my Pentium D driven virtual machine (workstation 6.5.1).

You mentioned above that you have had variable results. Is what I want to do workable? I installed mkisofs to make the new .iso for vmware but I'm not having any luck creating the iso. Do you already have a similiar iso built that you could send me? I know you mentioned in another post that was your plan but that you were just busy. I totally understand and appreciate all the work you have done so far. I wish I found your darwin.zip and darwin 100 MUCH sooner than I did. If I don't hear back from you before, have yourself a Merry Christmas Dave....Danny

It crashed after about 10 minutes of use on my Pentium D machine. I will be releasing new package but after the next couple of days as have family commitments. Anyway hope everyone here has a great time over the next few days.

I have a C2D T5500 (1.66GHz) which doesnt support VT. So what are my options to use my retail Leopard disc to install OSX into VMWare?

Use the 32-bit template in the zip package and boot using -legacy.

My attempt also gets stuck at the grey Apple logo / spinning flower petals - As per attached screenshot, last line is

BSD root: disk0s2, major 14, minor 2

Onizuka76 - boot with the -v option mate.. This will enable others to help you easier. It can pause on any hundred or so useful diagnostic lines of text behind that grey loading screen.

post-135101-1230509919_thumb.png

W00t! Donk you rule!

Have been mucking around for days trying the hacked installs etc... with not much luck.

Downloaded your zip and am rocking.

Only thing i needed to do was modify the signiso file to point to "c:/Program Files (x86)/"... as i am on Vista x64.

Thanks a lot!!

Hi all,

I am a noob as far as the OSx86 project goes (only successfully installed 10.4.6 so far), but I am definitely impressed with your work so far. After searching a couple of days I still don't know what am I doing wrong while installing 10.5.5 on vmware 6.5.1. My installation always stops at one point (Pic1) and no matter how much I wait it doesn't go further.

Depending on tweaking and randomness, sometimes I actually get as far as the nice blue background with the rainbow cursor spinning forever and nothing happening (Pic2).

At this point, the little icons on the lower right corner perform as following:

While (true)

HDD: blinking at a constant interval of 3 seconds (some idle stuff)

DVD: no activity

SCREEN: display same picture forever

End While Loop

Here's what I did to get to this point:

-ran the "signiso workstation backup"

-had the iATKOS both in DAEMON tools as a virtual drive or straight .iso into vmware

-booted, disregard that initial error as instructed, cancel vmware tools installation, esc, 9f (getting some read error 0x... sometimes, but sometimes not), -v option... and this is where it freezes

Here's my config:

Hardware: Dell Vostro 1500, Core 2 Duo T7500 @2.20 GHz, 4GB RAM

VMWare 6.5.1 build 126130

iATKOS 5i (so Leopard 10.5.5) from a popular torrent

Apparently not many people had my experience, so nowhere else did I find some relevant info (found the question posted and unanswered a couple of times though).

Please, if anyone can help, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

Although Donk said it may not support it, I was able to get iAtkos 5i running on a Dell XPS 1730 in VMWare thanks to this thread.

At first I encountered the same problems as you, but then I read that I needed to enable Virtualization in the BIOS.

After that I took a few different routes than most people in this thread did.

I booted the disc as would normally be done, and then when I could, went into the Disk Utility and set the partitions of the virtual disk to 1, with the option of booting using MBR(because GPT wasn't working for me for some reason).

After that, I did a normal install without changing any of the customization options, restarted, switched to the bootable darwin.iso and it worked. I'm currently doing this to patch the iAtkos iso to work with my hardware, as I can't get Leopard to boot on the machine alone.

If you need any more info I can try and provide some just PM me and I'll respond ASAP.

Hope this helps,

-Wynter Woods

Hi Donk,

it is my first post and i would like to thank you for all your hard work :D (bow) :( , i appreciate the help you're giving to the community !

I will try your instructions today after lunch, and will post the results.

Here some additional things you could might add to your batch file:

@echo off
  cls
  echo VMware ISO Signature Creator
  echo ============================
  reg EXPORT "HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc." tmp.txt 2> nul
  if %ERRORLEVEL% GTR 0 (goto :end) else (goto :check)

:check
  type tmp.txt | find "InstallPath" | find "VMware Server" > tmp1.txt 2> null
  if %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (goto :setstring)
  type tmp.txt | find "InstallPath" | find "VMware Player" > tmp1.txt 2> null
  if %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (goto :setstring)
  type tmp.txt | find "InstallPath" | find "VMware Workstation" > tmp1.txt 2> null
  if %ERRORLEVEL% GTR 0 (goto :PrintError) else (goto :setstring)

:setstring
  for /f "tokens=2 delims==" %%a in ('type tmp1.txt') do set VMPATH=%%a
  del tmp?.txt
  set VMPATH=%VMPATH:\\=\%

if /I "%1" == "BACKUP" goto Backup
  if /I "%1" == "RESTORE" goto Restore
  goto PrintError

:Backup
  mkdir %VMPATH%backup
  attrib -r %VMPATH%tools-key.pub
  xcopy /Y %VMPATH%*.pub %VMPATH%backup
  xcopy /Y %VMPATH%*.sig %VMPATH%backup
  xcopy /Y %VMPATH%*.iso %VMPATH%backup
  copy /Y tools-key.pub %VMPATH%
  copy /Y darwin.iso %VMPATH%
  for %%b in (%VMPATH%*.iso) do openssl dgst -sha1 -sign tools-priv.pem < %%b > %%b.sig
  goto Finished

:Restore
  del /F /Q %VMPATH%*.sig
  del /F /Q %VMPATH%*.pub
  del /F /Q %VMPATH%darwin.iso
  xcopy /Y %VMPATH%backup\*.pub %VMPATH%
  xcopy /Y %VMPATH%backup\*.sig %VMPATH%
  xcopy /Y %VMPATH%backup\*.iso %VMPATH%
  echo Y | rmdir /S %VMPATH%backup
  goto Finished

:PrintError
  echo "Usage: signiso {backup|restore}"
echo "========================"
echo ""
  echo "backup - backup and sign ISO images"
  echo "restore - restore VMware signature"

:Finished

reg.exe can be found in the windows ressource kit. It might be possible to build a new ZIP and sent it to you via PM or MEDIAFIRE.

If i sign all the iso files, does this cause any problems with new installations, like if i want to install a new linux or windows vmware ? I guess not, because you re-sign them all, is that right ?

Cheers,

flashmail

Hi Donk,

ok here my results, which are not very much at the moment.

After i installed the ZIP file I changed the signon.cmd and i run it, which works great. After this I start the VMware image of your ZIP file and insert, i guess it is LEO 10.5.0 DVD as physical DVD. I cancled now the VMware tools, pressed ESC and entered 9f at the boot prompt. Now it looks like that the installation startup, i see the grey screen with the apple in the middle and the progress ball below it. After some seconds the screen changed and the system restart the VMware image. WHY ?

I'm using VMware WS 6.5.1 Build 126130

Dell Latitude D610 'Intel Pentium M SSE2'

thanks for your help

FlashMail

ADDITIONAL INFO:

if i boot the system from DVD with option -v i see the following:

BSD root: disk1s2, major 14, minor 5

if i boot the system from an other DVD with option -v i see the following:

BSD root: disk1s3, major 14, minor 6

Hi Donk,

After i installed the ZIP file I changed the signon.cmd and i run it, which works great. After this I start the VMware image of your ZIP file and insert, i guess it is LEO 10.5.0 DVD as physical DVD. I cancled now the VMware tools, pressed ESC and entered 9f at the boot prompt. Now it looks like that the installation startup, i see the grey screen with the apple in the middle and the progress ball below it. After some seconds the screen changed and the system restart the VMware image. WHY ?

thanks for your help

FlashMail

OK you have an unsupported CPU for the templates which are only for retail Leopard. As mentioned on first post it has to be a supported CPU such as Core Duo.

Hi Donk,

thanks for your help

FlashMail

ADDITIONAL INFO:

if i boot the system from DVD with option -v i see the following:

BSD root: disk1s2, major 14, minor 5

if i boot the system from an other DVD with option -v i see the following:

BSD root: disk1s3, major 14, minor 6

Hi Donk,

I have a similar problem but my installation startup is stucked on the gray screen with apple and i don't see any progress ball.

My cpu is a P4 3200

booting with -v options doesn't show any apparent error

Thanks

Hi Donk,

I have a similar problem but my installation startup is stucked on the gray screen with apple and i don't see any progress ball.

My cpu is a P4 3200

booting with -v options doesn't show any apparent error

Thanks

Same issue. I am looking at new templates with the voodoo kernel applied, but I didn't have time to get them done over Christmas due to family commitments and now work is very busy. I will look at them again when I get time.

sorry to bother again, but is there no one else available who could help with this issue ? I've tried now different bootloaders with different settings in VMware, but all the time if i boot from the retail DVD, i'll get a kernel panic after some seconds.

I had the same problem. Using VMWare server 2.0 on my Thinkpad T60p. Turned out it was the VMWare tools. Looking at the summary screen for the VM, I noticed in the right-hand pane that it said the VMWare tools were loaded in the virtual CD-ROM. I just clicked "eject CD" and was able to continue.

I am now having another problem. I work in an IT department and I'm using the CDs that came with our departmental MacBook. The installer runs for a while but then says "OS X cannot be installed on this computer". Should I try getting an iso from elsewhere? I'd like to have a copy of OS X so I can troubleshoot MAC issues for our Citrix envronment.

Hi donk,

I seem to be having problems booting my OSX Retail disk, I launch VMWare 6.5.1 it boots to the boot prompt, I press enter and then type 9f but it goes back to the boot prompt even with the Disc or ISO image in the drive. It does not show what it is supposed to should when I run my disk with your templates, I have to use vmdonk.iso instead.

Any ideas how to get it working with your templates?

All the best

NSCXP2005

I had the same problem. Using VMWare server 2.0 on my Thinkpad T60p. Turned out it was the VMWare tools. Looking at the summary screen for the VM, I noticed in the right-hand pane that it said the VMWare tools were loaded in the virtual CD-ROM. I just clicked "eject CD" and was able to continue.

I am now having another problem. I work in an IT department and I'm using the CDs that came with our departmental MacBook. The installer runs for a while but then says "OS X cannot be installed on this computer". Should I try getting an iso from elsewhere? I'd like to have a copy of OS X so I can troubleshoot MAC issues for our Citrix envronment.

That's the most likely solution. Need to follow the instructions precisely!

Thanks for the great templates. Install from retail CD went perfect.

I'm running Vista 64-bit with VMWare Workstation 6.5. I used the 64-bit template.

After installing and getting into the registration process within 10.5.4, I noticed that the keyboard is not working right.

For every keypress I do, I get some random characters displayed.

I tried both USB and PS/2 keyboards and have the same issue.

I also tried it with the enhanced keyboard option within vmware's general settings on and off and get same results.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the great templates. Install from retail CD went perfect.

I'm running Vista 64-bit with VMWare Workstation 6.5. I used the 64-bit template.

After installing and getting into the registration process within 10.5.4, I noticed that the keyboard is not working right.

For every keypress I do, I get some random characters displayed.

I tried both USB and PS/2 keyboards and have the same issue.

I also tried it with the enhanced keyboard option within vmware's general settings on and off and get same results.

Any ideas?

Interesting. It is possible to switch the virtual USB keyboard and mouse off, but currently I don't have the PS2 kexts in the template. I will add them back in over the weekend and try and rerlease all the other things I have been working on.

Hi community,

just started an other test:

Product Name HP ProLiant DL360 G4p

Number of CPU(s) One Physical Processor / One Core / 2 Logical Processors / 64 bits

Vendor GenuineIntel

CPU Name Intel Xeon

CPU Code Name Irwindale

Platform Name Socket 604 mPGA

CPU Full Name Intel® Xeon CPU 3.40GHz Revision R0

Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, ET64, EST, HT

I've tried both template 32-bit and 64-bit, but both of them went into a black screen after some seconds, I used the paramter -legacy -v on the 32-bit and -v only on 64-bit. The 64-bit a little bit faster then the 32-bit system. I'vev installed vmware 6.5.1 126130 on Windows 2003 Standard Edition 5.2.3790 SP2.

I also see after some minutes that the toolbar pops up at the bottom of vmware window to install the install tools. Does this mean, that the system is still trying to boot up for the installation ?

Cheers

FlashMail

Hi community,

just started an other test:

Product Name HP ProLiant DL360 G4p

Number of CPU(s) One Physical Processor / One Core / 2 Logical Processors / 64 bits

Vendor GenuineIntel

CPU Name Intel Xeon

CPU Code Name Irwindale

Platform Name Socket 604 mPGA

CPU Full Name Intel® Xeon™ CPU 3.40GHz Revision R0

Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, ET64, EST, HT

I've tried both template 32-bit and 64-bit, but both of them went into a black screen after some seconds, I used the paramter -legacy -v on the 32-bit and -v only on 64-bit. The 64-bit a little bit faster then the 32-bit system. I'vev installed vmware 6.5.1 126130 on Windows 2003 Standard Edition 5.2.3790 SP2.

I also see after some minutes that the toolbar pops up at the bottom of vmware window to install the install tools. Does this mean, that the system is still trying to boot up for the installation ?

Cheers

FlashMail

Unsupported processor!

I must be blind, but where the hell i can find which of the CPU's are supported and which aren't ? Does it only mean, that in your template it is not supported and if we change it to the latest version of the kernel it will work on all of them ?

Sorry for all the mistakes, but thanks a lot to DONK again that he has a lot of tolerance.

FlashMail

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm amazed at how well at works so far. Truly appreciated.

Interesting. It is possible to switch the virtual USB keyboard and mouse off, but currently I don't have the PS2 kexts in the template. I will add them back in over the weekend and try and rerlease all the other things I have been working on.