VMware Retail Leopard Templates

Donk

393 posts in this topic

maybe true, I run it no problem without vt-x on workstation 7.

you should try both those guides in combo, they are both designed for people with vt-x machines

If you check the guides that should work for you and they are both clean installs with completely your settings, such as partition, size, volume name, etc

like I said it works pretty good for me with some additions such as video and sound and ata drivers, with no vt-x

Absolutely, I recommend

VMware tools 300, the 3rd one from this link for wrks7 and snow leopard

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172474

Also get the SVGA II driver from zenith, latest version 1.2.2, and also his guestd_patches so you can have video resizing:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

Also zeniths audio driver from there, should be under audio folder, and make sure you get the appropriate installations(ie. snow leopard installers, or all versions)

Install those in that order and you should have vmware tools running flawless with:

mouse entry/exit, display driver, copy and paste, shared folders

to set up shared folders refer to this guide, pg 9

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=51502

After that it should be running flawlessly, especially with vt-x

Hello,

Sorry for posting here, I am new and the forum says I don't have the permission to create a new thread (???)

I've got a Core i7 mobile laptop (620M) and I would like to know the current status of OSX virtualization on these processors.

Sadly, I can't start a VM that used to work on my C2D machine; at "Starting Darwin/x86" it crashes with no verbose message, VMWare saying that the CPU has entered shutdown state etc.

Strangely, if I start the VM on the C2D machine, then suspend it and resume it on the i7 machine, it does run well. But it only fails at boot :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Brunni, just had a look at your dialog with ArgVega, and sound advise has been given. However, perhaps worth taking a different approach. Firstly can you confirm your Host OS, and your are using VMware Workstation 7.0.0 or 7.0.1. Also what was your C2D processor on your previous / other machine. I only ask, so we can confirm why the VM will not work on your new i7 620 laptop.

As you indicate the i7 620 processor has full VT-x and 64-bit support, and you say it is enabled in BIOS (this is important to confirm, as VM W7's hypervisor talks directly to the PC's BIOS).

Assuming all is OK, then buy a retail copy of OS X from Apple, copies from Mac's will not work as they generally are an upgrade version and torrent downloads are rarely the real thing! Once you have a real retail OS X DVD you should be able to install from the DVD, if not create the ISO using ImgBurn, link below:

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Now install the darwin tools from the following link in to your VM W7, if already installed, uninstall and install the latest version "301", the manual is included in the download as are text files with the relevant VMX changes included, link to the relevant post below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1431750

Based on the information and links above you should be able to install either Leopard o Snow Leopard on your Intel Core i7 620 based laptop, based on retail OS X and a vanilla kernel.

Good luck.

Thank you :(

I can confirm in both cases it is VMWare Workstation 7.0.1 build 227600 running on Windows 7, 32 bits for the DELL, 64 bits for the HP.

The "old" Dell (Precision M65) has a C2D T7200.

The "new" HP (8540w) has an i7 620M.

The VT are enabled in the BIOS. Before that, VMWare asked me to enable them (mandatory for darwin10 guest). I also enabled DEP, without which the suspended OSX VM wouldn't resume (but I guess that's because it was enabled on the Dell as well).

Just to clarify, when you say "in to your VM W7", are you speaking about the host (W7) or guest?

[Edit] Now that I think about it, I installed the VMWare tools that I found in the VMWare Fusion 3 package (it is able to emulate OSX server natively, and this feature is also present in Workstation). But they are not the cause of the problem as it won't boot even without them anyway.

I'll try to install with your method today :P

I finally got it to work! I really can't believe it but it worked. What I did is downloading something that was called Snowy_VM. I don't remember the link but it is a template with a VM and an empty disk. Here is my VMX:

.encoding = "UTF-8"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
numvcpus = "1"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "1024"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental).vmdk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
ethernet0.linkStatePropagation.enable = "FALSE"
usb.present = "TRUE"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
serial0.present = "TRUE"
serial0.fileType = "thinprint"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"
tools.syncTime = "TRUE"
displayName = "OS X 10.6 nouveau"
nvram = "Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental).nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
ft.secondary0.enabled = "TRUE"
printers.enabled = "TRUE"
keyboardAndMouseProfile = "macProfile"
tools.upgrade.policy = "upgradeAtPowerCycle"
powerType.powerOff = "soft"
powerType.powerOn = "soft"
powerType.suspend = "soft"
powerType.reset = "soft"

extendedConfigFile = "Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental).vmxf"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "F:\Machines\Snowy_VM\darwin_snow.iso"
checkpoint.vmState = ""
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
uuid.location = "56 4d 91 6c 2a 97 49 4e-c1 7c 57 a8 1d 77 fb 9a"
uuid.bios = "56 4d 2d 12 ee c9 73 ee-09 22 e6 57 ae 45 73 7a"
cleanShutdown = "FALSE"
replay.supported = "FALSE"
replay.filename = ""
scsi0:0.redo = ""
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "16777216"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:45:73:7a"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
vmci0.id = "-1371180166"
usb:1.deviceType = "hub"
usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"

guestOS = "darwin10-64"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
monitor.virtual_exec = "automatic"
monitor.virtual_mmu = "automatic"
cpuid.coresPerSocket = "1"
ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"
floppy0.present = "FALSE"
smc.present = "FALSE"

As you can see I didn't even need to revert to the old VT mode, I can have full nehalem virtualization support, and it's blazingly fast.

First I made an .iso of the Snow Leopard CD (client) that I bought. I don't know why, but various ISO that you can find on the net won't work and you'll get stuck at the "Please insert an OS X disc" or do other strange things.

Then I started the VM template with the supplied bootloader (darwin_snow.iso) attached to the VM and then I replaced it with the .iso I made. The installation launched, and finally it booted. 100% vanilla. Also I could install the VMWare tools that I found in the VMWare Fusion 3 package (downloadable through VMWare site). And voilà!

Thank you for your help :P

Ah and don't update to 10.6.2, this is what breaks the i7 mobile support apparently. Maybe it will get back with 10.6.4 once new MacBookPro have been released ^^

I'll try the drivers thank you (althrough guest fit is already done by VMWare tools, isn't it?)

yes you are correct but this is lost when install zeniths display driver which boosts video performance, due to it not talking with the vmwaregfx kext or something. With his guest fit patch this corrects the ability to use zeniths driver and still fit the guest to the window of your choosing.

I used a different method than you have so I don't know if there are fixes for 10.6.2 update, but I can confirm I use 10.6.3 with my setup in vmware.

Yes thank you. In fact these Zenith drivers take advantage of 3D acceleration and make a lot of things smoother, like the scaling effect when reducing a window to the dock. Moving windows, switching to another space, etc. is also smooth. But Exposé is still very slow.

I could run 10.6.3 too but on a Core 2 Duo, without problem. Is that what you have? My problem comes from the i7 mobile, which is a too new processor and not supported by OS X. I guess starting by 10.6.2 they adopted another approach: forbid everything they don't know / support explicitely (starting from the Atom in particular).

I'll try the Atom patch if 10.6.2 is really needed by the iPhone SDK, maybe it could help (I saw the patch changes like 10 bytes, so maybe it just removes the processor check). But else I'll just keep it as is, it's running very well ;)

Ah yes you are right I have the core 2 duo. However your problem could be solved by using the original 10.6 kernel and still updating to 10.6.2 or 10.6.3

1) Open terminal and do: sudo -s, and type password.

2) Then do: cp -r /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.backup

3) Install 10.6.2 update

4) Use Darwin and Boot to DVD, use click on utility and then terminal

5) Restore old kernel: cp -r /Volumes/"your volume name"/mach_kernel.backup /Volumes/"your volume name"/mach_kernel

6) vioala! run 10.6.2, using the 10.6 kernel

• 2 months later...