VMware Retail Leopard Templates

Donk

393 posts in this topic

First off, many thanks to Donk and to everyone else for contributing your insights.

Got everything up and running on my Thinkpad T60p with little effort once I got the retail DVD and followed the instructions to the letter.

Lenovo Thinkpad T60p

Intel Centrino Duo 2.3GHz

3GB RAM

Windows Server 2008 x86

VMWare Server 2

VMWare tools from Fusion 2.1

OS X 10.5.4

Only problem I have is no sound. I'm not even sure if it's possible. OS X reports no sound card. Anyone have any ideas?

Performance is ok, but mouse lags a little and video isn't quite smooth on desktop animations. Haven't tried to do much with it yet as far tweaking any settings.

Thank you for all your work Donk.

VMware can be configured to attempt to enable VT if your BIOS, like mine, does not provide an option to enable VT and does not lock VT in the disabled state.

Burning and booting with vt.iso should confirm whether your BIOS enables locks VT.

See "Verifying that VT is Enabled and Locked at Boot" on the VMware website for more information.

Thanks for the great templates. Install from retail CD went perfect.

I'm running Vista 64-bit with VMWare Workstation 6.5. I used the 64-bit template.

After installing and getting into the registration process within 10.5.4, I noticed that the keyboard is not working right.

For every keypress I do, I get some random characters displayed.

I tried both USB and PS/2 keyboards and have the same issue.

I also tried it with the enhanced keyboard option within vmware's general settings on and off and get same results.

Any ideas?

Exactly the same problem here : random characters in every entry box. Sometimes 1, sometimes 2 or 3 for one key press. And almost never the key you pressed.

Stay away from the following keyboards to avoid problems.

PS/2 (Microsoft OEM keyboard) :

Not working : Basic Keyboard 1.0A, Product ID : 69682-OEM-4847255-10522, MS P/N : X800468-209

USB (Microsoft keyboard and mouse set) :

Not working : Wireless Optical Desktop for Bluetooth Keyboard, Product ID : 69418-545-1955413-00317, MS P/N : X08-93421

Working : Wireless Intellimouse Explorer for Bluetooth, Product ID : 68702-576-1530525-0, MS P/N : X08-87659

(This appears weird to me, because they connect through the same Bluetooth dongle. But we are dealing with hardware and drivers here. :) )

The other thing is that I do not know how to manually install the Fusion 2.01 VMware Tools in the OS X guest.

But according to the Installing VMware Tools guide, I have to reach the desktop first anyway. Which is not going to happen because of the keyboard problems.

FWIW : Foxconn BlackOps motherboard, Core 2 Quad Q9550, 4GB OCZ3P20004GK DDR3, EDIT: Vista Ultimate 64-bit host, VMware Workstation 6.5.1 build-126130.

But enough "whingeing".

I want to thank Donk for his hard work.

Installation was smooth and fast (estimated 28 minutes, but took less).

Thanks,

Robert

Exactly the same problem here : random characters in every entry box. Sometimes 1, sometimes 2 or 3 for one key press. And almost never the key you pressed.

Stay away from the following keyboards to avoid problems.

PS/2 (Microsoft OEM keyboard) :

Not working : Basic Keyboard 1.0A, Product ID : 69682-OEM-4847255-10522, MS P/N : X800468-209

USB (Microsoft keyboard and mouse set) :

Not working : Wireless Optical Desktop for Bluetooth Keyboard, Product ID : 69418-545-1955413-00317, MS P/N : X08-93421

Working : Wireless Intellimouse Explorer for Bluetooth, Product ID : 68702-576-1530525-0, MS P/N : X08-87659

(This appears weird to me, because they connect through the same Bluetooth dongle. But we are dealing with hardware and drivers here. :rolleyes: )

The other thing is that I do not know how to manually install the Fusion 2.01 VMware Tools in the OS X guest.

But according to the Installing VMware Tools guide, I have to reach the desktop first anyway. Which is not going to happen because of the keyboard problems.

FWIW : Foxconn BlackOps motherboard, Core 2 Quad Q9550, 4GB OCZ3P20004GK DDR3, EDIT: Vista Ultimate 64-bit host, VMware Workstation 6.5.1 build-126130.

But enough "whingeing".

I want to thank Donk for his hard work.

Installation was smooth and fast (estimated 28 minutes, but took less).

Thanks,

Robert

Could you try this:

USB:1.deviceType = "keyboard"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

Then check keyboard and USB devices please.

Could you try this:

Then check keyboard and USB devices please.

Yoh Momma! Working!

When I opened the Darwin.vmx file to add the lines, I saw this :

USB:0.deviceType = "mouse"

usb:0.present = "TRUE"

USB:1.deviceType = "hub"

So I tried with the following but the problem persisted :

USB:1.deviceType = "hub"

USB:2.deviceType = "keyboard"

usb:2.present = "TRUE"

Then I attempted the following and it worked immediately :

USB:2.deviceType = "hub"

usb:2.present = "TRUE"

The mouse pointer is uncontrollable now (massive lag), and eventually I lose all control over it. I can see it (black arrow) but it doesn't move. But I don't care for now.

I can also hear no sound, but that was to be expected. And I don't care too much. The m/b I have has a ALC885 not a ALC889.

I'm willing to try out more settings, etc.

I'm happy, maybe the mouse and sound problems get resolved by installing the VMware Fusion tools.

I already downloaded the trial.

Any hints how to do this ?

And thanks again. This is so ueber!

Robert

EDIT: Both keyboards are working! Even when connected at the same time.

Can you try these lines please? No "hub" settings.

I do have a sound driver that works in Leopard, but can't remember what post I got it from. I'll post it tomorrow as not at the machine where I stored it.

I powered down the VM and closed the VMware window.

Then opened a new window and powered on the Darwin VM.

Mouse problems are gone!

Then I tried your suggestion without "hub".

And it also/still works.

Should I not have the "hub" device on the Darwin.vmx file ?

Thank you for all your work Donk.

VMware can be configured to attempt to enable VT if your BIOS, like mine, does not provide an option to enable VT and does not lock VT in the disabled state.

Burning and booting with vt.iso should confirm whether your BIOS enables locks VT.

See "Verifying that VT is Enabled and Locked at Boot" on the VMware website for more information.

Good find. Knew VMware were looking at the issue, but had missed Jim's document.

I powered down the VM and closed the VMware window.

Then opened a new window and powered on the Darwin VM.

Mouse problems are gone!

Then I tried your suggestion without "hub".

And it also/still works.

Should I not have the "hub" device on the Darwin.vmx file ?

If it works then leave it in. Was just trying to make sure we did one thing at a time, which is what you did anyway. Thanks for the feedback I wil add it in to my newer templates.

There's another problem.

As long as I use the mouse, everything is OK.

But when I leave it alone for minutes, I lose all control over the mouse pointer again.

Sometimes I can still see the black mouse pointer, sometimes it's gone.

I can still use ALT+CTRL to come out of the OS X VM.

Anyone any hints ?

I thought this issue with OSX 10.5 was resolved by Apple way back.

There's another problem.

As long as I use the mouse, everything is OK.

But when I leave it alone for minutes, I lose all control over the mouse pointer again.

Sometimes I can still see the black mouse pointer, sometimes it's gone.

I can still use ALT+CTRL to come out of the OS X VM.

Anyone any hints ?

I thought this issue with OSX 10.5 was resolved by Apple way back.

Is this after screen saver kicks in? VMware recommend disabling screen saver and any energy saving functions. I also run the Caffeine application.

No screen saver involved. It's set to (None) in my host OS Vista.

It takes about 15 minutes of idle time. EDIT: Before I lose control over the mouse pointer.

Go into Energy Saver prefs pane and set everything to "Never". Download and run Caffeine application, and then see if it sorts the problem out. It's night here in UK, so won't be back on until tomorrow.

Go into Energy Saver prefs pane and set everything to "Never". Download and run Caffeine application, and then see if it sorts the problem out. It's night here in UK, so won't be back on until tomorrow.
I set the 2 sliders to "Never" and unchecked "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible". I also switched back on the default Vista screen saver. Then left everything like that.

Just checked, and everything is still working. :);)

Thanks very much for your help. It's Insanely Mac.

Robert

Donk how do I get the network to work with your templates?

Should just work. Never had to do any changes for it.

I set the 2 sliders to "Never" and unchecked "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible". I also switched back on the default Vista screen saver. Then left everything like that.

Just checked, and everything is still working. :):)

Thanks very much for your help. It's Insanely Mac.

Robert

Glad to help.

Donk did you find some time on the weekend to create a new template with the required kernel ? Would it be possible that someone list all CPU's which should be supported.

Thanks and nice week

FlashMail

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to finish it. As for supported CPUs these are likely to need a kernel such as Voodoo:

• Intel Pentium 4 / D / M
  • Intel Celeron
  • AMD Athlon 64 and X2
  • AMD Phenom
  • AMD Sempron

Things that do work:

• Intel Core Solo / Duo
  • Intel Core 2
  • Intel Atom
  • Intel Xeons?

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to finish it. As for supported CPUs these are likely to need a kernel such as Voodoo:
  • Intel Pentium 4 / D / M
  • Intel Celeron
  • AMD Athlon 64 and X2
  • AMD Phenom
  • AMD Sempron

Things that do work:

• Intel Core Solo / Duo
  • Intel Core 2
  • Intel Atom
  • Intel Xeons?

Thanks a lot for your quick answer, i've tried on the weekend to use your template on my mac mini 'core duo' in the latest version of vmware fusion, but I get all the time the message:

"Mac OS X is not supported with software virtualization. To run Mac OS X you need a host on which VMware Fusion supports hardware virtualization".

I've run as well your script to sign the iso files, which has to be modified with the right path of the isoimages.

cheers

Could anyone give some pointers how to install the Fusion VMware Tools in a Mac OS X guest ?

The guest is hosted by VMware Workstation 6.5.1 running on Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

I downloaded the VMware Fusion trial *.DMG and converted it to to *.ISO.

When I connect the drive in the MAC OS X guest I get the Splash screen to install VMware Fusion. The "VM >> Install VMware Tools" menu option doesn't seem to recognize or find what it's looking for in the virtual drive.

TIA,

Robert

P.S. Replying from work. Don't know when I can pop back in again.

Hi Donk,

I wonder if you can help me with a problem that I am having.

I have installed OSX 10.5 Retail and after it has installed and restarted I get the following error:

1zyd89l.jpg

Do you what is causing this and how to get it to boot into Leopard?

All the best

NSCXP2005

Hi Donk,

I don't know what is worng myself, I will keep trying to get it wo work and report back any issues that arise.

How is everyhting going with the new templates?

Thank you for your comment.

All the best

NSCXP2005

Hi@all,

the link doesn't work :-( , Mediafire shows the message: 0 items found to display!

could you please upload the files again?

thanks in further

Mobile

It looks like it is scheduled Maintenance

Scheduled time: 11:00am to 1:00pm CST

Cheers

FlashMail

PS: I can upload the files to rapidshare or to something else if you want

Hi Donk,

I wondering if you could answer a question for me.

I have converted a dmg file to ISO under OSX but I was just wondering will I be able to use the ISO it created with VMWare on windows?

Will it me able to be mounted under VMWare or should I mount it under a Deamon Tools?

Please can you let me know when you can.

Thank you for your time

NSCXP2005

VMWare Darwin 1.0 - New link provided