VMware Retail Leopard Templates

Donk

393 posts in this topic

Hi Donk,

thx much for this great work. Finally I am able to evaluate MAC OS before buying. ;-)

I think there have been some questions around graphic support, but this one is a bit strange. I am testdriving iWork '09 from a friend and can't get it to display the characters in edit mode. I can enter text and it counts the words. It also gives me a perfect preview, but only white space in edit mode. I attached some screenshoots to show it. Do you have any idea what I could do?

Tomtomate

post-365292-1233433615_thumb.jpg

post-365292-1233433744_thumb.jpg

Again trust me (10 years experience of VMware products, know someof the engineering team and have judged VMware competitions) you will end up breaking the guest. You are confusing host chipset and guest. The setting used is to tell the guest to build ACPI tables that emulate ICH7M chipset. It has nothing to do with your real machine. If you don't change it back you could end up with a stuck guest due to incompatible power states.

O yea Donk, I do trust you :D I was just playing around with it because I felt that maybe the fact that my bridge was ICH8M and the one in the vmx file was ICH7M was the reason behind sound not working. But of course it wasn't :P But all's well now and everything seems to be working perfectly fine. I've given up on resizing because I've tried it about 3 times and it screwed up my installation - so no more for me :P

Update 1: Get VMware tools from VMware Fusion 2

Mount the downloaded DMG in your Leopard guest. Using Terminal issue the following command:

pax -z -f /Volumes/VMware\ Fusion/Install\ VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Resources/Install\ VMware\ Fusion.pkg/Contents/Resources/Install\ VMware\ Fusion.pax.gz './Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/darwin.iso'

You will find the darwin.iso in a subfolder as highlighted.

Update 2: Partial sound support

Please try this KEXT in your guest. Found to work on Windows and Linux Workstation, although can be choppy.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88597

Update 1: Get VMware tools from VMware Fusion 2

Mount the downloaded DMG in your Leopard guest. Using Terminal issue the following command:

pax -z -f /Volumes/VMware\ Fusion/Install\ VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Resources/Install\ VMware\ Fusion.pkg/Contents/Resources/Install\ VMware\ Fusion.pax.gz './Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/darwin.iso'

You will find the darwin.iso in a subfolder as highlighted.

Update 2: Partial sound support

Please try this KEXT in your guest. Found to work on Windows and Linux Workstation, although can be choppy.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88597

In reference to the KEXT installation, I recommend getting 'Kext Helper b7'. It's a nifty little utility that helps you "install" KEXTs with a single click. Saved me a lot of trouble ;)

And like johnny_goboy, I would like to have a walkthrough on how to resize the image. As mentioned, I've ruined my installation 3 times and at this stage, I can't afford to ruin it any more because I've started development work on it.

And like johnny_goboy, I would like to have a walkthrough on how to resize the image. As mentioned, I've ruined my installation 3 times and at this stage, I can't afford to ruin it any more because I've started development work on it.

I think having the EFI partition as HFS+ is causing a problem here. I don't have a simple answer at the moment.

I think having the EFI partition as HFS+ is causing a problem here. I don't have a simple answer at the moment.

Perhaps...I was wondering if you could make an 80GB vmdk (single file though - not split into 2GB parts) and upload it. That would be much appreciated :) .

Would you be able to describe the steps for making a vmdk with that EFI partition on it please :) The reason behind asking is that maybe this could lead to native booting OS X on our machines. I mean, if the EFI partition "emulates" the EFI chip of a Mac and the Linux stuff reads the OS X boot information, then, if we have a separate partition on the harddrive with all the "pre-install data" on it, we could install OS X on the PC. And it won't require any hacks and it will also allow for legit copies to be installed.

Could work as an experiment :unsure: Although, I won't be the best person to try it out as I only happen to have a laptop and can't really nuke it (uni's going to restart soon and I have 2 fairly major projects in progress right now)

Lol...this thread has gone really silent...just posting for the sake of "life" ;)

Perhaps...I was wondering if you could make an 80GB vmdk (single file though - not split into 2GB parts) and upload it. That would be much appreciated :P .

Would you be able to describe the steps for making a vmdk with that EFI partition on it please :) The reason behind asking is that maybe this could lead to native booting OS X on our machines. I mean, if the EFI partition "emulates" the EFI chip of a Mac and the Linux stuff reads the OS X boot information, then, if we have a separate partition on the harddrive with all the "pre-install data" on it, we could install OS X on the PC. And it won't require any hacks and it will also allow for legit copies to be installed.

Could work as an experiment :) Although, I won't be the best person to try it out as I only happen to have a laptop and can't really nuke it (uni's going to restart soon and I have 2 fairly major projects in progress right now)

1. Sorry I don't have time at the moment to do this. BTW I would always recommend using 2GB split as allows easier defragmenting and shrinking.

2. EFI partition is already used for native booting. Check out the post I refer to in my first post about how Munky did this. This is pretty much how all Hackintoshes work.

Hi Donk, thanks for directing me to this thread.

I got Leopard up and running, but the one thing I haven't been able to fully understand yet is the VMware tools. I followed the instructions for your update, which worked fine, and I got the darwin.iso file. I mounted it and installed and everything seemed to work fine. But based on what I read about what it shoudl allow you to do (things like drag/drop between the host and guest), I don't think it's working. Is there anything else I need to do, or is there a way I can tell if I've installed it correctly? I did enable drag and drop in the VMware settings as well, but that didn't make a difference.

thanks

Hi Donk, thanks for directing me to this thread.

I got Leopard up and running, but the one thing I haven't been able to fully understand yet is the VMware tools. I followed the instructions for your update, which worked fine, and I got the darwin.iso file. I mounted it and installed and everything seemed to work fine. But based on what I read about what it shoudl allow you to do (things like drag/drop between the host and guest), I don't think it's working. Is there anything else I need to do, or is there a way I can tell if I've installed it correctly? I did enable drag and drop in the VMware settings as well, but that didn't make a difference.

thanks

Pretty much none of the tools works apart from copy/paste text. You can get shared folders but only as root user.

So after testing on a variety of processors we have come to the conclusion this isn't going to work currently. Could not get VMware and Voodoo kernel running reliable or at all on some machines. So I won't be releasing the templates are frankly they will only disappoint! What I will do now is update the other templates and scripts with some of the other things I mentioned and release them, probably over the weekend. If you have a working system then no need to do anything. If you want to build one then the scripts have been fixed and also some of the VMX parameters changed e.g. useable on Linux without hacking.

OK so some good news and some bad news. I'll get the bad news out of the way first. I have had no success making this work on AMD processor (actually a Sempron 64 - but good enough for VMware to run 64-bit guests). So I am not going to do any more work on this at present as only AMD machine I have available. The good news is that I have left a Leopard guest running for 7 days on a P4 box using the voodoo kernel, and it works OK and no Kernel Panics. Setting it up is a bit more involved than using a supported retail CPU, but only during the install process and only in that you have to be careful on the boot loader parameters. Once installed it seems to run and boot just fine.

So I am now going to release once I get the process documented, and before you ask it will be a few days, as I have work and family committments to sort out first! (Top priority being my wife's birthday :angel: )

Ok... I understand that. and i understand it is the same principle as buying a new hard drive for your computer, when you run out of space you have to buy a new drive and re-install everything. so i understand that in VMware you have to delete the old hard drive and create a new one. i had to do that with my Linux distro's through Vmware as well, I had to delete the drive and re-install them again because I forgot to set the size I wanted on the Vmware setup process. but surely if someone set the image to 40gb in the first place, it can be increased to 80gb? or am i missing something.

Ok... I understand that. and i understand it is the same principle as buying a new hard drive for your computer, when you run out of space you have to buy a new drive and re-install everything. so i understand that in VMware you have to delete the old hard drive and create a new one. i had to do that with my Linux distro's through Vmware as well, I had to delete the drive and re-install them again because I forgot to set the size I wanted on the Vmware setup process. but surely if someone set the image to 40gb in the first place, it can be increased to 80gb? or am i missing something.

The issue here is that te templates are a pre-partitioned disk with the EFI partition already populated with the files needed to boot leopard. The vmware-vdiskmanager utility can increase the size of the virtual disk. You then need to resize the OS partitions within the guest. That is where I have problems as the Leopard tools fail for some reason, although you can delete and re-create the partition scheme easily enough. You then need to rebuild the EFI partition booter with the files needed to boot. I am trying to find a simple way to make this work, or I go back to a virtual CD based approach which I documented in my other thread.

The issue here is that te templates are a pre-partitioned disk with the EFI partition already populated with the files needed to boot leopard. The vmware-vdiskmanager utility can increase the size of the virtual disk. You then need to resize the OS partitions within the guest. That is where I have problems as the Leopard tools fail for some reason, although you can delete and re-create the partition scheme easily enough. You then need to rebuild the EFI partition booter with the files needed to boot. I am trying to find a simple way to make this work, or I go back to a virtual CD based approach which I documented in my other thread.

Yes I concur. Apparently I've heard that if you have GUID partition table, the built in Disk Utility cannot resize partitions. It only works properly with Apple's partition something (was going to say partition table but not sure).

I was thinking, is there any way of replicating the partitions between virtual machines? Like, have two machines working and transfer files between the existing copy and the newly formatted one. Would probably require a live disc of some sort to make a parition and stuff but you know...

What do you think?

after i enterd 9f in the boot screen, several

ebois read error: 0x31 block o sectors 64

pops out, and after like 10 lines of this, i am back to boot screen, any idea how to fix this?

sometimes, this happens:

I seem to be having problems booting my OSX Retail disk, I launch VMWare 6.5.1 it boots to the boot prompt, I press enter and then type 9f but it goes back to the boot prompt even with the Disc or ISO image in the drive.

after i enterd 9f in the boot screen, several

ebois read error: 0x31 block o sectors 64

pops out, and after like 10 lines of this, i am back to boot screen, any idea how to fix this?

sometimes, this happens:

I seem to be having problems booting my OSX Retail disk, I launch VMWare 6.5.1 it boots to the boot prompt, I press enter and then type 9f but it goes back to the boot prompt even with the Disc or ISO image in the drive.

Hi edwardgtxy :D Have you done all the preparation stuff of backing up the iso files? Also, before typing '9f', have you clicked "Cancel installation of VMware Tools" from the 'VM' tab? If it's still complaining, I wouldn't really know to be honest, but I'll still have a think about it :)

Yes I concur. Apparently I've heard that if you have GUID partition table, the built in Disk Utility cannot resize partitions. It only works properly with Apple's partition something (was going to say partition table but not sure).

I was thinking, is there any way of replicating the partitions between virtual machines? Like, have two machines working and transfer files between the existing copy and the newly formatted one. Would probably require a live disc of some sort to make a parition and stuff but you know...

What do you think?

You can resize GUID partitions but for some reason doesn't want to do it. I will keep looking at it. I have also been looking at using the install DVD to do this using the terminal, and a live DVD using PureDarwin Nano. Nano isn't quite ready for this as got some errors when running the commands needed. The Xmas edition looks more hopeful, but not sure want the GUI stuff.

There are 2 other options:

1. Go back to CD holding the files as I documented in my other thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=118663. Now it could be signed which would remove some of the hacks from the other thread. I could then have the files and a shell script that would update the new partiton with the EFI stuff stored on the ISO and run post-installation.

2. Use the current template as a small booter partition. Would shrink it back to just EFI plus small HFS partition. Then use rd= or boot-uuid= parameters to boot. Would work but probably need a post installlation updae tool for com.apple.Boot.plist.

Copying is of course OK. Carbon Copy Cloner helps, and then a script to copy EFI stuff would work, although again would possibly need some editing of plist.

yes, i did everything you said =(

1. Are you 100% certain you cancelled the VMware tools installation at the right pleace?

2. Are you using ISO or real DVD?

3. Have you made sure the virtual CD is pointing to the retail install DVD before starting VMware?

1. Are you 100% certain you cancelled the VMware tools installation at the right pleace?

2. Are you using ISO or real DVD?

3. Have you made sure the virtual CD is pointing to the retail install DVD before starting VMware?

1. I can cancelled it as soon as I saw the boot: prompt

2. ISO

3. Yes

1. I can cancelled it as soon as I saw the boot: prompt

2. ISO

3. Yes

Odd. Can you recreate the ISO, maybe there is something wrong with it? Also remember it must be a retail DVD, not a restore DVD from another machine.

i got my iso from a friend of mine, its like 7g, and i got another 6g dmg file, but I have no idea how to convert that to iso.

OK I would suspect your ISO image. If you hae a Mac try "hdiutil convert" command. However before you do any more I suggest you check out exactly what the ISO you have is, and what it contains. MUST be Leopard retail DVD image. That is a copy bought from a retailer not shipped with a Mac.