VMware Retail Leopard Templates

Donk

393 posts in this topic

Hi Donk,

I wondering if you could answer a question for me.

I have converted a dmg file to ISO under OSX but I was just wondering will I be able to use the ISO it created with VMWare on windows?

Will it me able to be mounted under VMWare or should I mount it under a Deamon Tools?

Please can you let me know when you can.

Thank you for your time

NSCXP2005

If it is a real ISO file, then you can use it via VMWARE and with the Daemon Tools

Cheers

FlashMail

It looks like it is scheduled Maintenance

Scheduled time: 11:00am to 1:00pm CST

Cheers

FlashMail

PS: I can upload the files to rapidshare or to something else if you want

Been up and down the last 2 days.

Hi Donk,

I wondering if you could answer a question for me.

I have converted a dmg file to ISO under OSX but I was just wondering will I be able to use the ISO it created with VMWare on windows?

Will it me able to be mounted under VMWare or should I mount it under a Deamon Tools?

Please can you let me know when you can.

Thank you for your time

NSCXP2005

VMWare Darwin 1.0 - New link provided

Yes it should be usable directly in VMware. I create mine on Leopard from DVD --> DMG --> ISO.

Donk did you found sometime to create a new template and add the changes to the script which has been mentioned in this thread ?

Also do you know an answer on the problem I have with the fusion and the "Mac OS X is not supported with software virtualization..." message

Thx

FlashMail

Donk did you found sometime to create a new template and add the changes to the script which has been mentioned in this thread ?

Also do you know an answer on the problem I have with the fusion and the "Mac OS X is not supported with software virtualization..." message

Thx

FlashMail

Was just working on them! I am at a critical point in a project at work, so won't have time to test them. If everyone is happy i will release them as is.

As for Fusion, I can't remember the details. Can you let me konw the machine, Fusion version and if possible tell me what template you are using? Sorry to be a pain, but work is swamping all my thinking!!!

OK Mac Mini - do you have athe model number and what the CPU model is?

I fully understand you, it is the same for me with work, sometimes too much sometimes a little bit more less (rofl)

So the versions are as follows:

VMmare Fusion 2.0.1 (128865)

Intel Dual Core

MacMini1,1

Template Darwin32 also tried Darwin64 'so everything from your template'

If i know how to create my own template i would create them, but i do not know. Do you have a short instruction how you create them ? If you have already done them I could try to test them for you.

Thanks in advance

FlashMail

PS: By the way does anyone know how to mount .NRG files under MAC OS X ? I tried to get nrg2iso, but no success also ita did not work.

I fully understand you, it is the same for me with work, sometimes too much sometimes a little bit more less (rofl)

So the versions are as follows:

VMmare Fusion 2.0.1 (128865)

Intel Dual Core

MacMini1,1

Template Darwin32 also tried Darwin64 'so everything from your template'

If i know how to create my own template i would create them, but i do not know. Do you have a short instruction how you create them ? If you have already done them I could try to test them for you.

Thanks in advance

FlashMail

PS: By the way does anyone know how to mount .NRG files under MAC OS X ? I tried to get nrg2iso, but no success also ita did not work.

Trouble with the templates you need a working session to create them. Chicken and egg scenario. I did mine on real iMac with Fusion 2.0. The only issue is putting the extensions in the EFI partition, which is what is in the current version. Otherwise the rest of it is me hacking on mainly undocumented VMX parameters.

UPDATE: It is a limitation of Fusion see this thread http://communities.vmware.com/thread/183426

Trouble with the templates you need a working session to create them. Chicken and egg scenario. I did mine on real iMac with Fusion 2.0. The only issue is putting the extensions in the EFI partition, which is what is in the current version. Otherwise the rest of it is me hacking on mainly undocumented VMX parameters.

UPDATE: It is a limitation of Fusion see this thread http://communities.vmware.com/thread/183426

Hmm this is strange, if i use the older version of fusion, i did not get the message. I thought that this will be a chickecn and egg scenario, damned

FlashMail

Hmm this is strange, if i use the older version of fusion, i did not get the message. I thought that this will be a chickecn and egg scenario, damned

FlashMail

Fusion 1 didn't support Leopard so maybe that is the reason you haven't seen it.

hi,

i have some problems with installing leopard on vmware...

1. Open the VMX file in whatever VMware product you are trying this on (screenshot 1). You may want to change the virtual memory settings.
  2. You will need to point the virtual CD drive to either the physical Leopard DVD or an ISO image (screenshot 2).
  3. Power on the virtual machine and wait until the system boots. Ignore the error about com.appl.Boot.plist. (screenshot 3)
  4. Use the VMware menus to cancel the tools installation (screenshot 4).
  5. At the boot prompt press the Esc key and enter 9f as the boot device (screenshot 5).
  6. Should now boot to the installation DVD (screenshot 6)

Im step 3 if i wait for a long time i only get this massage:

http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=slika2fv3.jpg

then, if i press F8 i get this:

http://img160.imageshack.us/my.php?image=slika3ec6.jpg

i can't cancel the tools installation becouse i do not have that option in VM tab

http://img105.imageshack.us/my.php?image=slika4ms5.jpg

if i press Enter on this screen:

http://img58.imageshack.us/my.php?image=slika5qw8.jpg

i get again this massage:

i can;t get to step 5 and boot opions...

pleaseeee help ;)

thanx in advance!

dusan

hi,

i have some problems with installing leopard on vmware...

1. Open the VMX file in whatever VMware product you are trying this on (screenshot 1). You may want to change the virtual memory settings.
  2. You will need to point the virtual CD drive to either the physical Leopard DVD or an ISO image (screenshot 2).
  3. Power on the virtual machine and wait until the system boots. Ignore the error about com.appl.Boot.plist. (screenshot 3)
  4. Use the VMware menus to cancel the tools installation (screenshot 4).
  5. At the boot prompt press the Esc key and enter 9f as the boot device (screenshot 5).
  6. Should now boot to the installation DVD (screenshot 6)

Im step 3 if i wait for a long time i only get this massage:

then, if i press F8 i get this:

http://img160.imageshack.us/my.php?image=slika3ec6.jpg

i can't cancel the tools installation becouse i do not have that option in VM tab

http://img105.imageshack.us/my.php?image=slika4ms5.jpg

if i press Enter on this screen:

http://img58.imageshack.us/my.php?image=slika5qw8.jpg

i get again this massage:

i can;t get to step 5 and boot opions...

pleaseeee help :(

thanx in advance!

dusan

Hi dusan,

you are using the section to see the option, you have to right click on the tab of the vmware image, like in your case it is called DARWINX32. It is directly above the black screen.

cheers

FlashMail

Hi dusan,

you are using the section to see the option, you have to right click on the tab of the vmware image, like in your case it is called DARWINX32. It is directly above the black screen.

cheers

FlashMail

i clicked but i don't have option to cancel vm tools only to reinstall....

i clicked but i don't have option to cancel vm tools only to reinstall....

which template you are using ? It looks like that it is not the one from donk. Your boot header looks like a different one.

DONK's

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.

YOUR's

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v1.0.11

Cheers

FlashMail

which template you are using ? It looks like that it is not the one from donk. Your boot header looks like a different one.

DONK's

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.

YOUR's

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v1.0.11

Cheers

FlashMail

Yep good catch. Is this my template and are you using a retail Leopard DVD?

All

I am now actively working on additional templates with voodoo kernel in place. However they are not the easiest thing to use and so will spend a little time trying to work out some solutions such as how to boot the DVD.

Dave (aka Donk)

Yep good catch. Is this my template and are you using a retail Leopard DVD?

All

I am now actively working on additional templates with voodoo kernel in place. However they are not the easiest thing to use and so will spend a little time trying to work out some solutions such as how to boot the DVD.

Dave (aka Donk)

Hi Dave,

this sounds very good, if you need some help for testing, please let me know.

best regards

FlashMail

OK,

I'm not going to be able to install the Fusion VMware Tools in the Mac VM I guess. This is in Workstation on Windows.

But is there a way to turn off Workstation's automatic attermpt to install the Tools after powering on the Mac VM (Darwin x64) ?

Each time I have to "VM >> Cancel VMware Tools Installation" to continue the boot process.

To me, it's the only thing "spoiling" The Experience. (I'm not ungrateful.)

I could use Player of course. I might, because I'm under the impression that it's much faster than Workstation.

Robert

OK,

I'm not going to be able to install the Fusion VMware Tools in the Mac VM I guess. This is in Workstation on Windows.

But is there a way to turn off Workstation's automatic attermpt to install the Tools after powering on the Mac VM (Darwin x64) ?

Each time I have to "VM >> Cancel VMware Tools Installation" to continue the boot process.

To me, it's the only thing "spoiling" The Experience. (I'm not ungrateful.)

I could use Player of course. I might, because I'm under the impression that it's much faster than Workstation.

Robert

It is possible to install the tools, but I need to write what to do, from the Fusion installation package. There should be no need to cancel the install to boot, that is only needed on installing Leopard. It does leave my ISO mounted but just eject it in Leopard once you log on. The use of CD to boot is entirely under the control of VMware so sorry it can't be disabled.

Hi Dave,

this sounds very good, if you need some help for testing, please let me know.

best regards

FlashMail

I now have 4 templates:

• Darwin x32
  • Darwin x64
  • Voodoo x32
  • Voodoo x64

which all boot to the DVD if needed and are loading the correct kernels and kexts. I won't have time to try them on every combination, but will try Voodoo x64 under Windows version of Workstation on a Pentium 4 processor. Next will be to write some documentation.

I now have 4 templates:

• Darwin x32
  • Darwin x64
  • Voodoo x32
  • Voodoo x64

which all boot to the DVD if needed and are loading the correct kernels and kexts. I won't have time to try them on every combination, but will try Voodoo x64 under Windows version of Workstation on a Pentium 4 processor. Next will be to write some documentation.

Hi Dave, nice to hear that you created some new templates, please could you post a link to them or send me a PM

thanks

Flashmail