VMware Retail Leopard Templates

Donk

393 posts in this topic

I managed to install the Fusion VMware Tools manually (just the Darwin incarnation, haven't tried the others).

But I'm looking for the Mac equivalent of the Windows "VMware Tools Properties" which can be started by double-clicking the system tray icon.

So the installation is either half-baked, or it's because I'm a Mac Noobie why I can't find what I'm looking for.

Also, during installation of the Tools, a folder "VMware Shared Folders" was created on the Desktop. But I have insufficient rights with my admin account when I try to open it. You can see it in the third screen shot on the far right.

What is it for ?

installedvmwarefusiontogx9.th.png installedvmwarefusiontowq8.th.png installedvmwarefusiontoau7.th.png installedvmwarefusiontouv1.th.png

I managed to install the Fusion VMware Tools manually (just the Darwin incarnation, haven't tried the others).

But I'm looking for the Mac equivalent of the Windows "VMware Tools Properties" which can be started by double-clicking the system tray icon.

So the installation is either half-baked, or it's because I'm a Mac Noobie why I can't find what I'm looking for.

Also, during installation of the Tools, a folder "VMware Shared Folders" was created on the Desktop. But I have insufficient rights with my admin account when I try to open it. You can see it in the third screen shot on the far right.

What is it for ?

installedvmwarefusiontogx9.th.png installedvmwarefusiontowq8.th.png installedvmwarefusiontoau7.th.png installedvmwarefusiontouv1.th.png

As I have explained ealrier in this thread, that is the current state of VMware tools on the Workstation version of VMware. The only difference on Fusion is that screen resizes and Shred Folders work due to correct permissions.

Note that you can attach images here, so you don't need to put on another web site. Just upload them.

As I have explained ealrier in this thread, that is the current state of VMware tools on the Workstation version of VMware. The only difference on Fusion is that screen resizes and Shred Folders work due to correct permissions.

You are right:

To install the VMware tools I suggest you use the darwin.iso from Fusion 2.0.1 (get an evaluation if needed). To install you will need to mount this ISO image manually then run the installer. Note that the graphics driver and shared folders do not work on WIndows and Linux VMware products.
After going back to this posting, and re-reading, I finally knew how to install the Fusion VMware Tools. And still afterwards, I forgot about your hint. Sorry man. :):P

The images are quite large. And I couldn't find a way to add them as clickable thumbnails through the "Insert Image" dialogue.

About the graphics driver not working. Did you mean the VMware driver, the ATI driver, or any graphics driver ?

Because I was looking to maybe resolve the issue with my graphics card (Radeon HD 3870), and I found this topic : ATI Radeon HD pkg installers 10.5.x (Current 10.5.6), Easy to install !!

Will a package patch the vanilla Apple driver, or will it add/replace a driver ?

I do not want to patch because of furture updates.

Thanks for staying with this topic and replying.

Robert

Oh and what are your thoughts about this topic : AppleHDA Solution - Work in progress, Main Thread ?

Is this also a patch ?

Robert

Audio does work using this driver http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88597. Stutters a bit but better than nothing. Video driver does load and works but there is a mis-match on the internal VMware API that stops the resize from working. Can't currently find any workaround. VMware has its own video card so anything for the host won't work in the guest. The tools do also allow cut/copy/paste to work as well.

You are right:

After going back to this posting, and re-reading, I finally knew how to install the Fusion VMware Tools. And still afterwards, I forgot about your hint. Sorry man. :);)

The images are quite large. And I couldn't find a way to add them as clickable thumbnails through the "Insert Image" dialogue.

About the graphics driver not working. Did you mean the VMware driver, the ATI driver, or any graphics driver ?

Because I was looking to maybe resolve the issue with my graphics card (Radeon HD 3870), and I found this topic : ATI Radeon HD pkg installers 10.5.x (Current 10.5.6), Easy to install !!

Will a package patch the vanilla Apple driver, or will it add/replace a driver ?

I do not want to patch because of furture updates.

Thanks for staying with this topic and replying.

Robert

Oh and what are your thoughts about this topic : AppleHDA Solution - Work in progress, Main Thread ?

Is this also a patch ?

Robert

Hi Robert,

Would you mind to share the way to install the Fusion Vmware tools here? I am not too sure the correct way to install that tool. Thank you.

Hi Robert,

Would you mind to share the way to install the Fusion Vmware tools here? I am not too sure the correct way to install that tool. Thank you.

Download the trial for VMware Fusion. When your host is Windows, convert "VMware-Fusion-2.0.1-128865.dmg" to "VMware-Fusion-2.0.1-128865.iso".

I used the excellent UltraISO : "Tools >> Convert" then "Standard ISO". Power on your Mac OS X guest, and login when necessary (just go to the Mac Desktop).

Right-Click and "Eject" any image you have mounted to the VMware virtual CD/DVD drive. If you have a physical CD/DVD drive mapped disconnect it. Then mount and connect the "VMware-Fusion-2.0.1-128865.iso" image. You will see the VMware Fusion installation window popup with the following 3 options "Install VMware Fusion", "Getting Started", "Uninstall VMware Fusion". Close it.

Open "Finder" from the Dock. Under Devices click VMware Fusion >> Contents >> Resources. Youi'll see "Install VM...Fusion.pkg". Right-Click it and select "Show Package Contents" from the popup. A new window will open.

In this new window click Contents. You'll see "Archive.pax.gz". Right-Click it and select "Open with" >> "Archive Utility (default)" from the popup. A new window will open.

It will open at "Archive" (or Archive 2, or Archive 3, whatever). Click Library >> Application Support >>VMware Fusion > isoimages.

Double-Click the "darwin.iso". The installation program for VMware Tools will popup with the following 2 options "Install VMware Tools" and "Uninstall VMware Tools".

Make your choice.

In the Finder three, below "isoimages", there is also a folder "tools-upgraders". It contains a shell script "run-upgrader.sh" to install all 32-bit or 64-bit Tools iso images.

But I can not run it successfully because it assumes that Fusion is installed, and it wants to install the 32-bit version while I'm using the 64-bit template.

Good luck,

Robert

EDIT: You'll have to re-boot. After the re-boot you will still see "Cancel VMware Tools Installation". I believe that's because of the booter stiil mounting BOOTEFI in the virtual CD/DVD drive at each boot. You'll see it mounted on your desktop. Very shortly after you eject BOOTEFI, you will see that "Cancel VMware Tools Installation" wa sreplaced by "Reinstall VMware Tools" in the VM menu.

howtoinstallvmwarefusiohd7.th.png

I seem to have damaged my installation by installing the Fusion tools.

- Windows 7 host

- Core i7

- Radeon 4870

I can still launch my VM, but the Finder won't run (everything else seems to...). I'm not sure how to either fix it, or roll back the VMWare Tools installation... is either doable? :rolleyes:

Donk: Thanks a lot for your work! I now have a working 10.5.6 vmware image with the VMware tools installed.

The only thing I couldn't get to work is higher display resolutions.

InToGraphics: I see that you got higher resolutions in your screencaps. Any tips on how you achieved that?

I now have 4 templates:

• Darwin x32
  • Darwin x64
  • Voodoo x32
  • Voodoo x64

which all boot to the DVD if needed and are loading the correct kernels and kexts. I won't have time to try them on every combination, but will try Voodoo x64 under Windows version of Workstation on a Pentium 4 processor. Next will be to write some documentation.

Thank you in advance for the voodoo templates Donk, where might I get them?

Danny

Donk: Thanks a lot for your work! I now have a working 10.5.6 vmware image with the VMware tools installed.

The only thing I couldn't get to work is higher display resolutions.

InToGraphics: I see that you got higher resolutions in your screencaps. Any tips on how you achieved that?

You need to edit com.apple.Boot.plist and add in the graphics mode you want. A quick Google should find the details.

Thank you in advance for the voodoo templates Donk, where might I get them?

Danny

Soon. I have built them and someone is trying them for me. Also need to write some notes which I just haven't got time to do at the moment.

I'm trying to get this working with a real Leopard install DVD under Linux VMWare Workstation 6.5.1.

There's one minor thing with the Darwin 32 template. The darwin.vmdk file has to be renamed Darwin.vmdk.

Also, VMWare crashes when I tell it to edit the configuration, I don't know what to do about that.

I've installed your darwin.iso using the "signiso.sh --backup" script. With the stock darwin.iso hacked to look for SystemVersion instead of ServerVersion it got as far as the Aurora screen and the pinwheel spun for 10 minutes or so until I got tired of it.

With your darwin.iso I just get the boot plist error and it returns to the "boot:" prompt.

I've tried all different variations of -f/-v/-x/whatever without getting any new information.

Any suggestions?

Mr. Donk. Is there any chance you'd share the source?

Thanks,

Eric

There's one minor thing with the Darwin 32 template. The darwin.vmdk file has to be renamed Darwin.vmdk.

My mistake. I have modified the new ones to use all lower case for case sensitive filing systems.

Also, VMWare crashes when I tell it to edit the configuration, I don't know what to do about that.

It is a bug in VMware as we are using VMX parameters that are unsupported and so the GUI crashes when it finds them. Simplest way is to edit in text editor. Windows version doesn't have the problem

With your darwin.iso I just get the boot plist error and it returns to the "boot:" prompt.

I've tried all different variations of -f/-v/-x/whatever without getting any new information.

Any suggestions?

Please re-read thew instructions at the beginning of the thread. You need to cancel VMware tools installer first then connect the Leopard DVD.

Is there any chance you'd share the source?

There isn't any source to share it is just the VMX file with the necessary parameters and the VMDK with 3 KEXTS in the EFI partition as devised by Munky.

Dave

Regards,

first of all I like to thank you guys for this great work. I'm currently investigating some security related topics on Mac OS X (such as the p2p trojan which came with the faked iWork lately). Therefore it would be grate to have a virtual environment to play with.

I'm using a late 2008 MBP with the newest Leopard installation.

I followed your tutorial, here is what I did:

1.) Downloaded your stuff

2.) fixed the .sh script (added \isoimages and so on)

3.) ran it as root

4.) double checked if the darwin.iso in the VMWare directory was updated

5.) I organized my self an iso of the Leopard Retail DVD and pointed the darwin-64 vm dvd drive to it

6.) I booted your darwin-64 vmware iso

7.) I canceld the vmware tools installation

8.) I pressed esc, entered "9f" and hit enter

9.a) It either instantly gives me a read error, shows the Apple Boot Screen (grey bg, dark grey apple) and reboots

9.:rolleyes: It loads the drivers and gives the same errors

9.c) I tried my MBP Retail DVD -> Same error

Idea anyone? :)

-Patrick

Do any templates support 3D graphics acceleration? :)

It is enabled, but not sure that the VMware driver when loaded is QE/CI capable. As VMware are targeting Server version I doubt it.

Regards,

first of all I like to thank you guys for this great work. I'm currently investigating some security related topics on Mac OS X (such as the p2p trojan which came with the faked iWork lately). Therefore it would be grate to have a virtual environment to play with.

3.) ran it as root

5.) I organized my self an iso of the Leopard Retail DVD and pointed the darwin-64 vm dvd drive to it

9.a) It either instantly gives me a read error, shows the Apple Boot Screen (grey bg, dark grey apple) and reboots

9. ;) It loads the drivers and gives the same errors

Idea anyone? :P

-Patrick

Are you first installing the Fusion VMware tools in the host OS X ?

And then try to install OS X as a guest ?

AFAIK VMware Tools are always installed in the guest OS.

So you should first install your OS X guest, and in this guest you have to install the Fusion VMware Tools.

Robert

EDIT: I have some instabilities with my overclock (BSODs). I am going to resolve those issues first.

Later.

Are you first installing the Fusion VMware tools in the host OS X ?

And then try to install OS X as a guest ?

Hello Robert, did you read the Tutorial? Did you read what I had written?

I'm asking you, because you are 100% not answering my question.

When you boot the Darwin[-32;-64] image, VMWare Fusion (I'm using 2.0.1) tries to install the Vmware Tools (YEP, IN your VM) _before_ your are even able to boot from the CD(-Image). According to the tutorial this is quite normal, but you have to cancel the installation, press esc, select your boot drive etc ...

Anyways for me the error occures _after_ this.

Please excuse my rude writing, but I can't stand it if people doesn't even try to understand a problem before they start playing the smart one ...

Regards ;-)

Hello Robert, did you read the Tutorial? Did you read what I had written?

I'm asking you, because you are 100% not answering my question.

When you boot the Darwin[-32;-64] image, VMWare Fusion (I'm using 2.0.1) tries to install the Vmware Tools (YEP, IN your VM) _before_ your are even able to boot from the CD(-Image). According to the tutorial this is quite normal, but you have to cancel the installation, press esc, select your boot drive etc ...

Anyways for me the error occures _after_ this.

Please excuse my rude writing, but I can't stand it if people doesn't even try to understand a problem before they start playing the smart one ...

Regards ;-)

Please, don't excuse yourself. The world is getting crowded with people like you nowadays. On the positive side, it seems like you are able to write. But it also seems like you can't (understand what you) read.

Returning your own question : " .......... Did you read what I had written?".

Robert

Are the DVD's retail version or the version that comes with you Macs? If they are restore DVDs they won't work. I believe they can be altered to work as a retail DVD, one bought separately from a machine, but I don't have the details.

To Robert:

I'm glad you didn't got me that wrong. In theory I could ask you again to read my question, the tutorial and so on but obviously you are trying to help me ;-)

VMWare "thinks" that there already is a guestOS as soon as the bootloader is active, please look at the screenshot I made (It's in german but "abbrechen" means cancel or abort).

To Donk:

Yep, I'm using a retail iso and since this wasn't working for me I've also tried to use the original restore DVD.

Any Ideas? ;-(

Regards Patrick

post-362508-1232883954_thumb.png

To Robert:

I'm glad you didn't got me that wrong. In theory I could ask you again to read my question, the tutorial and so on but obviously you are trying to help me ;-)

VMWare "thinks" that there already is a guestOS as soon as the bootloader is active, please look at the screenshot I made (It's in german but "abbrechen" means cancel or abort).

To Donk:

Yep, I'm using a retail iso and since this wasn't working for me I've also tried to use the original restore DVD.

Any Ideas? ;-(

Regards Patrick

1. The first bit about VMware tools is fine as thta is how VMware works to boot Mac OS X.

2. Honestly not sure why it is happening. I will have to try it on my iMac.

Dave

Regards,

3.) ran it as root

9. ;) It loads the drivers and gives the same errors

Idea anyone? :)

-Patrick

So where (host or guest?) did you take steps 2, 3, and 4 ?

Because, steps 5, 6, 7, and 8 give a hint that you still have to install the guest OS.

So where (host or guest?) did you take steps 2, 3, and 4 ?

Because, steps 5, 6, 7, and 8 give a hint that you still have to install the guest OS.

I think the steps taken are fine, as getting the boot 9f on the screen.