VMware Retail Leopard Templates

Donk

393 posts in this topic

Hi Donk,

Thanks for your quick response. I have done the steps you described below. I could increase the vmware disk size to 300GB, but it was not possible to re-size the original volumn to bigger one under Disk Utility ("Partition Map too small" error. If I re-partition the harddisk and do the Leopard install, all the EFI boot record you put into will be erased. Once the installation is done and restarted, the darwin.iso cannot boot up the disk anymore.

Regards,

Tanky

You need to resize the virtual disk first using vmware-vdiskmanager, in VMware installation folder:

vmware-vdiskmanager.exe -x 300GB darwin.vmdk

Then re-partition.

Not at machine with files currently but I used:

1. Munky loader 5.1 - no need for 6 yet http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=35821

Follow the main post http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127330

2. Drivers from here which are http://sites.google.com/a/puredarwin.org/p...?attredirects=0 the same ones from VMware and DFE.

3. AppleDecrypt or dsmos - usual places e.g. Google

Hi,

It should work. I also run the OSX image under Xeon E5410 (Quad Core 2.33 with 12MB L2 cache).

My machine spec is HP ML350 G5 with E5410 Xeon and 9GB Ram. I am running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition 64-bit and VMWare Workstation 6.5.1

Just a quick note. Don't choose more than 1 processor as VMWare cannot startup properly under multiple processors configuration.

Tanky

Firstly the guest OS can be 32 or 64 bit to run 64-bit guests, so you don't need to do the 64-bit install of Windows. What you need if you want to run 64-bit guests is a VT enabled processor. What is the spec of the Xeon's. Also are they ones that Leopard would support?

Hi Donk,

Thanks for your quick response. I have done the steps you described below. I could increase the vmware disk size to 300GB, but it was not possible to re-size the original volumn to bigger one under Disk Utility ("Partition Map too small" error. If I re-partition the harddisk and do the Leopard install, all the EFI boot record you put into will be erased. Once the installation is done and restarted, the darwin.iso cannot boot up the disk anymore.

Regards,

Tanky

After you re-format you then need to re-install the EFI boot loader following Munky's approach. There is a catch 22 here as you need to have a working Leopard install. I attach the new VMDK to a working system, and then do the EFI installation.

Thanks for the quick response Donk, Will the new features make VMWare boot the Disc instead of the problem arising that I had?

My Post

Please can you let me know.

All the best

NSCXP2005

Hi Donk,

Do you know if the changes you are making to the templates fix the problem I have been having?

All the best

NSCXP2005

Hi Donk,

Do you know if the changes you are making to the templates fix the problem I have been having?

All the best

NSCXP2005

Did you see my previous post asking the question about the CD connection? As I don't know currently what is wrong I can't say as I think the error is with either you DVD or haven't quite followed the instructions.

Did anyone upgrade successfully to 10.5.6?

Just upgraded VM and hangs on loading.

Restoring backup now.

Also - did someone say there was a issue with the screen saver? Seems to lock the VM after an inactive period so i assume it was screen saver.

M

Restoring backup now.

Also - did someone say there was a issue with the screen saver? Seems to lock the VM after an inactive period so i assume it was screen saver.

M

Yes but need to boot the first time after install with -v -f -x. Also switch off screen saver and all power settings so never sleeps. I also use Caffeine application to keep my system active.

Hi all,

I am a noob as far as the OSx86 project goes (only successfully installed 10.4.6 so far), but I am definitely impressed with your work so far. After searching a couple of days I still don't know what am I doing wrong while installing 10.5.5 on vmware 6.5.1. My installation always stops at one point (Pic1) and no matter how much I wait it doesn't go further.

Depending on tweaking and randomness, sometimes I actually get as far as the nice blue background with the rainbow cursor spinning forever and nothing happening (Pic2).

At this point, the little icons on the lower right corner perform as following:

While (true)

HDD: blinking at a constant interval of 3 seconds (some idle stuff)

DVD: no activity

SCREEN: display same picture forever

End While Loop

Here's what I did to get to this point:

-ran the "signiso workstation backup"

-had the iATKOS both in DAEMON tools as a virtual drive or straight .iso into vmware

-booted, disregard that initial error as instructed, cancel vmware tools installation, esc, 9f (getting some read error 0x... sometimes, but sometimes not), -v option... and this is where it freezes

Here's my config:

Hardware: Dell Vostro 1500, Core 2 Duo T7500 @2.20 GHz, 4GB RAM

VMWare 6.5.1 build 126130

iATKOS 5i (so Leopard 10.5.5) from a popular torrent

Apparently not many people had my experience, so nowhere else did I find some relevant info (found the question posted and unanswered a couple of times though).

Please, if anyone can help, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

post-337610-1229533527_thumb.png

post-337610-1229533551_thumb.png

Hi all,

I am a noob as far as the OSx86 project goes (only successfully installed 10.4.6 so far), but I am definitely impressed with your work so far. After searching a couple of days I still don't know what am I doing wrong while installing 10.5.5 on vmware 6.5.1. My installation always stops at one point (Pic1) and no matter how much I wait it doesn't go further.

Depending on tweaking and randomness, sometimes I actually get as far as the nice blue background with the rainbow cursor spinning forever and nothing happening (Pic2).

At this point, the little icons on the lower right corner perform as following:

While (true)

HDD: blinking at a constant interval of 3 seconds (some idle stuff)

DVD: no activity

SCREEN: display same picture forever

End While Loop

Here's what I did to get to this point:

-ran the "signiso workstation backup"

-had the iATKOS both in DAEMON tools as a virtual drive or straight .iso into vmware

-booted, disregard that initial error as instructed, cancel vmware tools installation, esc, 9f (getting some read error 0x... sometimes, but sometimes not), -v option... and this is where it freezes

Here's my config:

Hardware: Dell Vostro 1500, Core 2 Duo T7500 @2.20 GHz, 4GB RAM

VMWare 6.5.1 build 126130

iATKOS 5i (so Leopard 10.5.5) from a popular torrent

Apparently not many people had my experience, so nowhere else did I find some relevant info (found the question posted and unanswered a couple of times though).

Please, if anyone can help, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

These templates are strictly for the retail version of Leopard. Not sure that it can support other versions such as iAtkos. I don't have a copy of it so can't really test. Sorry.

Thanks Donk,

I have managed to re-partition and install Leopard on my new VMDK. However, the start-up screen is missing the Apple logo. I'm wondering ... Was it because I used dsmos.kext instead of AppleDecrypt.kext? or any kexts I missed.

Anyway. I really appreciate for all the helps you have given. Thank you

Tanky

After you re-format you then need to re-install the EFI boot loader following Munky's approach. There is a catch 22 here as you need to have a working Leopard install. I attach the new VMDK to a working system, and then do the EFI installation.

Thanks Donk,

I have managed to re-partition and install Leopard on my new VMDK. However, the start-up screen is missing the Apple logo. I'm wondering ... Was it because I used dsmos.kext instead of AppleDecrypt.kext? or any kexts I missed.

Anyway. I really appreciate for all the helps you have given. Thank you

Tanky

Did you use Munky's 5.1 or 6.1 EFI Booter? 6.1 removes the logo to add additional code into a 64K limit. We don't need that version and 5.1 will do what we need plus has the logo.

Restoring backup now.

M

Yes but need to boot the first time after install with -v -f -x. Also switch off screen saver and all power settings so never sleeps. I also use Caffeine application to keep my system active.

Thanks Donk

Still no go - any other ideas? Restored previous backup, disabled all screen saver / power, did update, system reboots, i boot with -v -f -x and start. All ok, it reboots, i start normally and during startup - hangs like before

Thx Major

Still no go - any other ideas? Restored previous backup, disabled all screen saver / power, did update, system reboots, i boot with -v -f -x and start. All ok, it reboots, i start normally and during startup - hangs like before

Thx Major

There have been issues with 10.5.6 updating. I have downloaded the combo update and run that twice now and OK. Also just found an update on VMware's site about issues of 10.5.6 on Fusion, which may also help http://www.vmware.com/support/fusion2/doc/...fusion_201.html.

Hi Donk,

Tried with a retail version (downloaded, converted to iso from dmg) of Leopard 10.5.4

Followed all the steps, the installation stops before it begins, just like before. The messages are slightly different, as shown in the pic. Any ideas? Thanks.

post-337610-1229638583_thumb.png

Hi there..

I'm new to the osx86 scene.. i'm trying to get an ideneb 10.5.5 iso to work with vmware workstation 6.5.1 on vista x64..or for that matter.. the jas 10.5.4 one as well..

The jas will install fine.. but after a reboot it keeps crashing.. i cant get the installer to fully come up with the ideneb one though..

I dont really follow the templates thing in this thread..

All i've done so far is mount the iso with clonedrive, then pointed the vmware instance to that drive letter.. i've changed the vmware config file to reflect guestos="Darwin" etc..

No luck either way with either iso.. (i've also had the kernel crash, but this didnt stop 10.5.4 from at least installing)..

Can anyone explain what i'm missing or if this will even work..

I'm on a t3400 dell with a quad core 2.4 q6600 which should be fine.

Thanks

Hi there..

I'm new to the osx86 scene.. i'm trying to get an ideneb 10.5.5 iso to work with vmware workstation 6.5.1 on vista x64..or for that matter.. the jas 10.5.4 one as well..

The jas will install fine.. but after a reboot it keeps crashing.. i cant get the installer to fully come up with the ideneb one though..

I dont really follow the templates thing in this thread..

All i've done so far is mount the iso with clonedrive, then pointed the vmware instance to that drive letter.. i've changed the vmware config file to reflect guestos="Darwin" etc..

No luck either way with either iso.. (i've also had the kernel crash, but this didnt stop 10.5.4 from at least installing)..

Can anyone explain what i'm missing or if this will even work..

I'm on a t3400 dell with a quad core 2.4 q6600 which should be fine.

Thanks

This thread is for retail Leopard DVDs. You are probably best posting it in one of the other threads on these versions.

Hi Donk,

Tried with a retail version (downloaded, converted to iso from dmg) of Leopard 10.5.4

Followed all the steps, the installation stops before it begins, just like before. The messages are slightly different, as shown in the pic. Any ideas? Thanks.

Have you enabled the VT extensions in your BIOS?

;) Thanks Donk! great works. it's fine working on my 64bit vista. Happy to get the sound patch news.

One question: could I set the VMware HDD on a fixed size?

NOt sure what you mean. Do you want to use pre-allocated disks or increase the size as seen by the guest.

I updated to 10.5.6 and used the -v -x -f flags after rebooting. So far I haven't had any problems.

I bought a swappable drive bay with two trays and am going to try to install Leopard on my physical box this weekend. If I get frustrated, this way I can just pop my Windows drive back in with a turn of a key. Wish me luck!

Have you enabled the VT extensions in your BIOS?

Yeah, this was it. Don't know how exactly I missed this -- I was always under the impression that the VT extensions are in the VMWARE BIOS not in the computer's. The installation started. Let's see how it goes. Thanks a lot for your help.

Hi guys,

I created the VM in fusion [with installed VM tools] - then moved it to Windows and VMware 6.5.0 ACE

I installed iphone sdk but the VM runs VERY slow as to make it unusable.

Are there tips to get it running at a reasonable speed on VMware 6.5.0 under XP? Admittedly i have only given the VM 1 gig but it should be plenty.

Thx Major

All I have been involved with arranging a funeral and so haven't had much time to answer questions or deliver my new updates to the templates. Now that is over I will start taking a look at this again. Currently my plans are:

1. Update the batch script for Windows. Now works with x32 and x64 plus localizations. (Done)

2. Added voodoo kernel for those who want to try it (Done - variable results.)

3. Double check on Linux that the templates are OK

4. See if I can add sound driver into EFI partition

5. Check if we can use CCC to migrate from old methods to new EFI templates

6. Maybe modify CD image to allow both chain and standard boots; e.g. straight to DVD for installation

7. Possible workarounds to allow other parts of VMware Fusion tools to run on now Mac hosts

What I don't have time to do:

1. Write how to install Leopard. It is just a retail install and there are plenty of tutorials on that. (Sorry NSCXP2005!)

2. How to install EFI boot loader on VMware. Just follow Munky's post, and pretend the virtual OSX is a real one!

Dave

I have the December 6th Voodoo kernel xnu-1228.7.58 (Darwin 9.5.0) that I want to combine with your vmdonk.iso from your darwin.zip so I can boot/install 10.5.4 from a retail dvd into vmware with my Pentium D driven virtual machine (workstation 6.5.1).

You mentioned above that you have had variable results. Is what I want to do workable? I installed mkisofs to make the new .iso for vmware but I'm not having any luck creating the iso. Do you already have a similiar iso built that you could send me? I know you mentioned in another post that was your plan but that you were just busy. I totally understand and appreciate all the work you have done so far. I wish I found your darwin.zip and darwin 100 MUCH sooner than I did. If I don't hear back from you before, have yourself a Merry Christmas Dave....Danny