VMware Retail Leopard Templates

Donk

393 posts in this topic

Somehow I managed to get to the install interface with a rolling ball, but it didn't get any further. And the odd thing is sometimes it is not even possible to reproduce it with the same configuration.

OK I can confirm that even running Leopard in 32-bit seems to require VT-x. VMware has 2 different modes of operations:

1. Binary translation - used to run most 32-bit guests and 64-bit guests on certain AMD processors

2. VT-x/SVM mode - used to run 64-bit guests on Intel VT-x and AMD SVM enabled processor

The use of VT-x for 32-bit guests was experimental as binary translation was found to be ore efficient, but looks like it is essential for the current ability to run Leopard unaltered on Workstation etc. Fusion runs on VT-x enabled Intel processors used in real Mac hardware so can always run 32 and 64-bit guests.

Not sure what to recommend now. Possibly one of the modified distros or voodoo kernel, and adding these lines to VMX file:

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

monitor.virtual_exec = "software"

Edit: Does not work!

(Will copy this to front page of thread for reference).

Just got confirmation from a VMware System Engineer that vSphere 4.0 (aka ESX 4.0) will support virtual hardware version 7 (same one used by Fusion, Workstation, and Server). Sounds like running your templates in ESX isn't far off.

Just got confirmation from a VMware System Engineer that vSphere 4.0 (aka ESX 4.0) will support virtual hardware version 7 (same one used by Fusion, Workstation, and Server). Sounds like running your templates in ESX isn't far off.

Can't wait to try. Have been on many VMware beta tests before but didn't have time for the latest ESX/vSphere one.

hey whats up, i'm somewhat experienced in all the terminology of osx86, sadly i'm a crappy hacker when it comes to kexts, the terminal and all:( but does anyone know about running retail in vmware? i have a legally purchased version of 10.5.4 and these hardware specs

VMWare Workstation ACE for windows

Intel Core2Duo Quad E6600 2.6ghz

Visiontek Radeon 2800 Pro 256mb

4gb corsair dual channel ram

intel dg35eg mobo

160GB SATA

500GB SATA

Onboard sound controller and network card.

if anyone can help me, much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch, and thanks donk for starting up this wonderful project.

haywardUNLEASHED

hey whats up, i'm somewhat experienced in all the terminology of osx86, sadly i'm a crappy hacker when it comes to kexts, the terminal and all:( but does anyone know about running retail in vmware? i have a legally purchased version of 10.5.4 and these hardware specs

VMWare Workstation ACE for windows

Intel Core2Duo Quad E6600 2.6ghz

Visiontek Radeon 2800 Pro 256mb

4gb corsair dual channel ram

intel dg35eg mobo

160GB SATA

500GB SATA

Onboard sound controller and network card.

if anyone can help me, much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch, and thanks donk for starting up this wonderful project.

haywardUNLEASHED

follow the steps in the first post and you should be okay, do not forget to enable vt-x int the BIOS should be called visualization. only kext needed is sound, use kext helper (google it). update to 10.5.6 first. good luck

I have used this template and many others. With this one I can't get a boot at all. With others I can get to the splash screen where it hangs. With Ideneb i get to the "Preparing Installation" screen where it hangs. What could I be doing wrong?

I have got it installed on my system, I just wanted it in vmware also.

vwmare 6.5

E4400 Core 2 Duo 2.0 overclocked 2.6

4gb Ram

8800 GT Geforce

P35-DS3L

I have used this template and many others. With this one I can't get a boot at all. With others I can get to the splash screen where it hangs. With Ideneb i get to the "Preparing Installation" screen where it hangs. What could I be doing wrong?

I have got it installed on my system, I just wanted it in vmware also.

vwmare 6.5

E4400 Core 2 Duo 2.0 overclocked 2.6

4gb Ram

8800 GT Geforce

P35-DS3L

As I posted before you need a VT-x enabled processor. The E4400 is not one of them.

http://www.intel.com/products/processor_nu...rt/core2duo.htm

Is it possible to have a Leopard guest AND a Windows guest running at the same time in vmware workstation (with Vista 64 as host)? Or do you have to use two different programs to do that (vmware + parallel/virtualbox etc.)?

Is it possible to have a Leopard guest AND a Windows guest running at the same time in vmware workstation (with Vista 64 as host)? Or do you have to use two different programs to do that (vmware + parallel/virtualbox etc.)?

Yes of course, that is the point of virtualisation. You will need a decent amount of memory though. I wouldn't try this with l;edd than 3-4Gb RAM.

Yes of course, that is the point of virtualisation. You will need a decent amount of memory though. I wouldn't try this with l;edd than 3-4Gb RAM.

Thanks for your answer! I just thought because the signiso.cmd seems to modify some vmware files that there could be a problem. I have 8GB RAM so memory shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for your answer! I just thought because the signiso.cmd seems to modify some vmware files that there could be a problem. I have 8GB RAM so memory shouldn't be a problem.

Sounds good. (Sorry about the typo it was "less than 3-4GB").

I successfully installed Leopard in vmware workstation! Everything worked great (I just had to add a usb keyboard in the vmx file like someone mentioned in this thread)! Thank you Donk for your great work!

I got just one question left: Since vmware's shared folders aren't working, what's the easiest way to share files between the Leopard guest and my Vista64 host?

I successfully installed Leopard in vmware workstation! Everything worked great (I just had to add a usb keyboard in the vmx file like someone mentioned in this thread)! Thank you Donk for your great work!

I got just one question left: Since vmware's shared folders aren't working, what's the easiest way to share files between the Leopard guest and my Vista64 host?

If you install the VMware tools for Mac OS X (get them from Fusion) you can then edit one shell script to make shared folders work. Front page explains how to extract the files needed. You need to edit the/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/services.sh. I don't have the exact line to hand but I think it is in the thread somewhere. Search for services.sh and -o uid=501.

Otherwise use SMB shares from Leopard and/or Windows.

If you install the VMware tools for Mac OS X (get them from Fusion) you can then edit one shell script to make shared folders work. Front page explains how to extract the files needed. You need to edit the/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/services.sh. I don't have the exact line to hand but I think it is in the thread somewhere. Search for services.sh and -o uid=501.

Otherwise use SMB shares from Leopard and/or Windows.

Thanks, I found the post for the shared folders:

1. Run terminal window, don't sudo it, type id and you will get something like uid=501. Note that 501

2. Go to /Library/Application Support and press get info on the VMware Tools folder, unlock it and change the permissions for "everyone" to be read and write

3. Go inside VMware Tools folder, double-click on the services.sh file, find the line

mount -t vmhgfs .host:/ '/Volumes/VMware Shared Folders'

and modify it to say

mount -o uid=501 -t vmhgfs .host:/ '/Volumes/VMware Shared Folders'

using your own uid you got at the start

4. Restart

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1126251

I had to change two things for my Leopard virtual machine:

1. Add a usb keyboard to darwin.vmx:

usb.present = "TRUE"

USB:0.deviceType = "mouse"

usb:0.present = "TRUE"

USB:1.deviceType = "keyboard"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

USB:2.deviceType = "hub"

usb:2.present = "TRUE"

2. Change the path for the vmware tools in vmware fusion 2.0.2:

I found the darwin.iso in

"/Install VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Resources/Install VMware Fusion.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz"

instead of

"/Install VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Resources/Install VMware Fusion.pkg/Contents/Resources/Install VMware Fusion.pax.gz"

Just one thing left:

Time Machine doesn't seem to work. It will backup fine, but restoring is a no go. If I'm in the finder and enter Time Machine then a new finder window opens in the center and everything else locks but nothing else. No timeline, no arrows, nothing. I can browse in the finder and close the finder to go back to "normal", but nothing else. Any idea what's going wrong here?

Oh, and audio is really choppy but at least it works with the AppleAC97Audio.kext from the first post.

Thanks, I found the post for the shared folders:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1126251

I had to change two things for my Leopard virtual machine:

1. Add a usb keyboard to darwin.vmx:

2. Change the path for the vmware tools in vmware fusion 2.0.2:

I found the darwin.iso in

"/Install VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Resources/Install VMware Fusion.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz"

instead of

"/Install VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Resources/Install VMware Fusion.pkg/Contents/Resources/Install VMware Fusion.pax.gz"

Just one thing left:

Time Machine doesn't seem to work. It will backup fine, but restoring is a no go. If I'm in the finder and enter Time Machine then a new finder window opens in the center and everything else locks but nothing else. No timeline, no arrows, nothing. I can browse in the finder and close the finder to go back to "normal", but nothing else. Any idea what's going wrong here?

Oh, and audio is really choppy but at least it works with the AppleAC97Audio.kext from the first post.

Thanks for the updates. I'm wondering whether to re-start my web site and start documenting this better.

As for sound I found a USB sound card in the office and was just going to see how well that worked. Not an ideal solution but I know that even the driver I posted doesn't work properly when Linux is the host OS.

Thanks for the updates. I'm wondering whether to re-start my web site and start documenting this better.

As for sound I found a USB sound card in the office and was just going to see how well that worked. Not an ideal solution but I know that even the driver I posted doesn't work properly when Linux is the host OS.

For documenting purposes, if you want to update your first post then I would also recommend to add how to modify the

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and add

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280×1024x32</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

because I think some people might find it useful. And a link to http://cheetha.net/ for kext helper to easily install the AppleAC97Audio.kext

About my time machine problem: I looked around but couldn't find a fix for it. Anyone got an idea?

For documenting purposes, if you want to update your first post then I would also recommend to add how to modify the

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and add

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280×1024x32</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

because I think some people might find it useful. And a link to http://cheetha.net/ for kext helper to easily install the AppleAC97Audio.kext

About my time machine problem: I looked around but couldn't find a fix for it. Anyone got an idea?

Just as an update, USB sound no better, stutters and causes mouse to behave erratically. I guess until VMware support sound we have to live with what we have.

Don't have any answers on TM.

Hey guys, the .cmd file didn't work very well for me, i've put together a simple program that will run on Windows / Linux / Mac to re-sign, backup etc all neccesary files. The darwin.iso is also embedded so no additional files required. Will finish it off in a few days and upload it. Here is a teaser for now.

post-333213-1242066896_thumb.jpg

Hey guys, the .cmd file didn't work very well for me, i've put together a simple program that will run on Windows / Linux / Mac to re-sign, backup etc all neccesary files. The darwin.iso is also embedded so no additional files required. Will finish it off in a few days and upload it. Here is a teaser for now.

post-333213-1242066896_thumb.jpg

Thanks. You will need to add Fusion into the list as some of us also replace the files on Mac as well. I have another version of the command and shell scripts if you want to take a look at them. Uses the VMware settings to find the relevant files.

Anyway look forward to testing it, and hope I can bundle it in with the templates, if you don't mind?

Thanks. You will need to add Fusion into the list as some of us also replace the files on Mac as well. I have another version of the command and shell scripts if you want to take a look at them. Uses the VMware settings to find the relevant files.

Anyway look forward to testing it, and hope I can bundle it in with the templates, if you don't mind?

Yea thats fine :( could you tell me the VMware fusion install default path please, as I don't have it here. /Applications/VMware Fusion.app/ ?

(OS Detection is automatic)

Initially I was going to bundle darwin.iso into the .jar but not openssl as i think i can use a java library for signing the files. The progress so far is that its all working however nothing is bundled (the additional files are required in same dir as running app atm). If you like i could bundle the whole vm template and it could work like this:

1. start the app

2. wizard style "select a path for vm template unpacking"

3. wizard style "select a path to vm install (or select product for automatic)

4. Click Go!

Sort of beyond what i was planning but its still simple and seems like a good idea?

Has anyone had any luck with these templates and the new 10.5.7 update just released?

After the update my VM won't boot. If I use verbose mode all I get is a black screen and the CPU maxed out at 100%. Seems frozen at that point. Not sure how to diagnose at this point because I can't see what is happening.

I think I saw something in the update related to the framebuffer (display?), I'm wondering if that broke something and is why I get the blank screen when trying to boot.

Has anyone had any luck with these templates and the new 10.5.7 update just released?

After the update my VM won't boot. If I use verbose mode all I get is a black screen and the CPU maxed out at 100%. Seems frozen at that point. Not sure how to diagnose at this point because I can't see what is happening.

I think I saw something in the update related to the framebuffer (display?), I'm wondering if that broke something and is why I get the blank screen when trying to boot.

Make sure you boot with -v -f -x once after installation. Once done it should work fine.

Make sure you boot with -v -f -x once after installation. Once done it should work fine.

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that I tried that.

It's weird. One time I did safe mode "-v -x -F" it actually sort of worked. The screen resolution changed and it did some stuff then rebooted. However, later attempts just get the black screen.

It appears to be something going wrong when switching the graphics mode at boot. Most of the time it gets the black screen but that one time it "worked". I'm using a Linux host so I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

My templates are not exactly the same because I'm using Chameleon. Maybe it's Chameleon that isn't working correctly.

Hmmm, I can confirm that is has something to do with Chameleon. I'm not sure what it is but the old PC-EFI stuff (or whatever is the default these templates use) works fine with 10.5.7 but when I try to boot using Chameleon I get the black screen. Something isn't working there.

I have managed to get it to boot once when using Chameleon. It seems to sometimes boot without freezing at the black screen after I have been mucking around in S/L/E or /Extra/Extensions. It will only work once though, then it won't boot any more after that. Weird.

Hello, members!

Anyone have any ideas to shrink .vmdk images?

I installed VMware Tools (from "darwin.iso" extracted by Fusion 2.04),

But cannot find any GUIs .... like Tools for WindowsOS / Linux.

any commands available?

Thanks for the your great templates, Donk.