VMware Retail Leopard Templates

Donk

393 posts in this topic

New version with better VMware support and more flexible setup here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172474

Update 1: Get VMware tools from VMware Fusion 2

Mount the downloaded DMG in your Leopard guest. Using Terminal issue the following command:

pax -z -f /Volumes/VMware\ Fusion/Install\ VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Resources/Install\ VMware\ Fusion.pkg/Contents/Resources/Install\ VMware\ Fusion.pax.gz './Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/darwin.iso'

You will find the darwin.iso in a subfolder as highlighted.

Update 2: Partial sound support

Please try this KEXT in your guest. Found to work on Windows and Linux Workstation, although can be choppy.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88597

Update 3: 32-bit Leopard and processor support

OK I can confirm that even running Leopard in 32-bit seems to require VT-x. VMware has 2 different modes of operations:

1. Binary translation - used to run most 32-bit guests and 64-bit guests on certain AMD processors

2. VT-x/SVM mode - used to run 64-bit guests on Intel VT-x and AMD SVM enabled processor

The use of VT-x for 32-bit guests was experimental as binary translation was found to be ore efficient, but looks like it is essential for the current ability to run Leopard unaltered on Workstation etc. Fusion runs on VT-x enabled Intel processors used in real Mac hardware so can always run 32 and 64-bit guests.

VMware Darwin Support

---------------------

Version 1.0.0

-------------

This package allows VMware to run Darwin based operating systems without

modification to extensions or the XNU kernel.

New features are:

1. Boot CD is mounted transparently as in VMware Fusion. No way around the boot

CD, but doesn't do anything except chain to the hard disk. This has been

documented elsewhere, but basically scripts ensure darwin.iso is correctly

signed for the native boot mechanisms in VMware.

http://blog.rectalogic.com/2008/08/virtual...ard-client.html

2. Hard disk template uses EFI Partition Booter from Munky, which means simpler

modification to boot parameters. No need to hack CD images. This is all

pre-built so no work needed on your part, but if you want to hack around, e.g.

add other kernel such as Voodoo, much easier to accomplish.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127330

3. Templates are now SCSI hard disk based, following VMware's recommendations.

4. 32-bit and 64-bit templates. Not a big deal but thought would be useful.

As before this is for retail Leopard installs from retail media on a supported

CPU e.g. Core 2 Solo/Duo and whatever else is compatible these days. I guess

Voodoo kernel may help the others, and I will be interested on how AMD and older

Intel processor users maybe make this work.

I will likely update with the next Chameleon boot loader, which does EFI

partition, DSDT overrides etc., once it comes out. Also will add voodoo kernel

templates once it reaches release. This may help those on unsupported

processors.

It has been tested using:

• VMware Workstation 6.5.0 and 6.5.1
  • VMware Fusion 2.0.0 and 2.0.1

Note that if you have previously built guests using the original Fusion system,

they won't work with this form of CD. Sorry but it is an either or choice. This

system may well work with Server 2.0 but I haven't had time to test it.

There are 3 directories in the package:

1. booter - contains a replacement darwin.iso plus scripts to re-apply SHA-1

digital signatures.

There are 2 batch files in the folder which will backup the current VMware tools

iso images and SHA-1 digest, then update the darwin.iso if needed. Finally it

re-generates the SHA-1 digest using OpenSSL using the tools-priv.pem and

tools-key.pub keys.

The commands should be run from the command line or shell.

For Windows:

Usage: signiso {workstation|server|player} {backup|restore}

workstation|server|player - select product

backup - backup and sign ISO images

restore - restore VMware signature

For Linux and Mac OS X:

Usage: signiso.sh {--backup|--restore}

backup - backup and sign ISO image

restore - restore VMware signature

The files that are backed up will go into a "backup" folder in the folder you

extracted the package to and the files backed up come from:

Workstation on Windows - C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation

Server on Windows - C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Server

Player on Windows - C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Player

All VMware products on Linux - /usr/lib/vmware/isoimages

Fusion on Mac OS X - /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages

2. Darwin-32 - A VMware template to run a 32-bit Darwin OS. Requires Mac

compatible Intel processor.

3. Darwin-64 - A VMware template to run a 64-bit Darwin OS. Requires Mac

compatible Intel processor with VT-x extensions enabled.

Just so everyone understands, these are templates. They have no pre-installed Leopard, which you must provide yourself. To install Leopard using the templates follow these steps:

1. Open the VMX file in whatever VMware product you are trying this on (screenshot 1). You may want to change the virtual memory settings.
  2. You will need to point the virtual CD drive to either the physical Leopard DVD or an ISO image (screenshot 2).
  3. Power on the virtual machine and wait until the system boots. Ignore the error about com.appl.Boot.plist. (screenshot 3)
  4. Use the VMware menus to cancel the tools installation (screenshot 4).
  5. At the boot prompt press the Esc key and enter 9f as the boot device (screenshot 5).
  6. Should now boot to the installation DVD (screenshot 6).

After you have installed you should only have to press the enter key at the screen as in screen shot 2. You won't need to do anything else!

To install the VMware tools I suggest you use the darwin.iso from Fusion 2.0.1 (get an evaluation if needed). To install you will need to mount this ISO image manually then run the installer. Note that the graphics driver and shared folders do not work on WIndows and Linux VMware products.

The files are here http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=0bd107e...2db6fb9a8902bda.

post-142645-1228232455_thumb.png

post-142645-1228232463_thumb.png

post-142645-1228232469_thumb.png

post-142645-1228232475_thumb.png

post-142645-1228232481_thumb.png

post-142645-1228232490_thumb.png

Donk, this is a whole lotta work for one person, so thanks a million!!!

would you mind a small intervention in the signiso.cmd - to exchange C:\Program Files\ for %programfiles% and thus win a pile of differently localized Microsoft OSes?

Cheers

Donk, this is a whole lotta work for one person, so thanks a million!!!

would you mind a small intervention in the signiso.cmd - to exchange C:\Program Files\ for %programfiles% and thus win a pile of differently localized Microsoft OSes?

Cheers

Good point. I was going to actually try and use the registry, as I have found an entry which may make it easier for those who haven't installed to the default locations. Let me see if I can get that working. In the meantime feel free to hack on the batch file!

Hi Donk!

If I understood your batch file right it should be something like the text - it is now "secured" against things like writing workstation when actually player is installed and has the command lines switched off plus the Printerror is now in quotes otherwise cmd interprets the | as pipes. Useless to say for this to work under XP the user needs to be a poweruser or admin, under Vista on top of that to say "run as admin" ;) One last question: is this really on purpose to sign with openssl ALL isos or only darwin is needed?

@echo off

echo VMware ISO Signature Creator

echo ============================

if exist "%programfiles%\VMware\VMware %1" (

SET VMPATH="%programfiles%\VMware\VMware %1"

) else (

goto PrintError

)

if /I "%2" == "BACKUP" goto Backup

if /I "%2" == "RESTORE" goto Restore

goto PrintError

:Backup

mkdir ..\backup

attrib -r %VMPATH%\tools-key.pub

xcopy /Y %VMPATH%\*.pub ..\backup

xcopy /Y %VMPATH%\*.sig ..\backup

xcopy /Y %VMPATH%\*.iso ..\backup

copy /Y tools-key.pub %VMPATH%

copy /Y darwin.iso %VMPATH%

for %%I in (%VMPATH%\*.iso) do openssl dgst -sha1 -sign tools-priv.pem < %%I > %%I.sig

goto Finished

:Restore

del /F /Q %VMPATH%\*.sig

del /F /Q %VMPATH%\*.pub

del /F /Q %VMPATH%\darwin.iso

xcopy /Y ..\backup\*.pub %VMPATH%

xcopy /Y ..\backup\*.sig %VMPATH%

xcopy /Y ..\backup\*.iso %VMPATH%

rmdir /S ../backup

goto Finished

:PrintError

echo "Usage: signiso {workstation|server|player} {backup|restore}"

echo "workstation|server|player - select product"

echo "backup - backup and sign ISO images"

echo "restore - restore VMware signature"

:Finished

Whether the version of Windows you are using is 32-bit or 64-bit must be factored in, otherwise if you have 64-bit Vista, then signiso will try to use C:\Program Files\VMWare\Product instead of C:\Program Files (x86)\Vmware\Product and fail to copy the files. This could either be hard coded or use a test.

Dang, amazing work.

Anyways as I mentioned in the other thread Linux used to report "This is not Mac OS X Server..soemthing" and shut down the VM.

Is this resolved in this version?

I'm going for an installation I can access through both Ubuntu and Vista native systems (have VMWare on both).

Thanks

Rafael

2. Darwin-32 - A VMware template to run a 64-bit Darwin OS. Requires Mac

compatible Intel processor.

3. Darwin-64 - A VMware template to run a 32-bit Darwin OS. Requires Mac

compatible Intel processor with VT-x extensions enabled.

you mean the other way around, right? :)

Thanks for the feedback

1. My batch file for Windows is very simplistic. I will try and knock up something better in the next few days. Or if there are volunteers. :)

2. Yes it will need to be run as admin.

3. Yes you need to re-sign all the iso files as we don't have VMware's private key. So we have to do all of them and overwrite the VMware public key. I did also come up with a patch to VMware itself to ignore the sig files, but not as clean a method of just doing it this way.

4. It should sort out Linux versions of VMware which actually do ship with the same version of darwin.iso and Fusion.

5. Fixed the typo on 32 vs 64-bit templates.

Would someone just try this simple VBscript out for me. I think it is going to be easier to read the registry and use the parameters from that. Interested that non-English version of Windows are OK and 64-bit versions. Copy the test below into a text editor and then run it as admin from the command line with "script test.vbs".

const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002

strComputer = "."

Set StdOut = WScript.StdOut

Set oReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & _

strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")

strKeyPath = "SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc."

strValueName = "Core"

oReg.GetStringValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,strKeyPath,strValueName,strValue

StdOut.WriteLine "VMware Product: " & strValue

strKeyPath = "SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\" & strValue

strValueName = "InstallPath"

oReg.GetStringValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,strKeyPath,strValueName,strValue

StdOut.WriteLine "VMware Install Path: " & strValue

Don't worry about this. See my next post.

Donk, I get a script host error, line 11, char 1 - "the handle is invalid". I'm using English Vista 32 SP1 and VMware Workstation 6.5 I'll try on my Vista 64 box when I get to work.

Actually don't worry. I have pretty much written new VBscript version. I'll upload later for people to test.

Actually don't worry. I have pretty much written new VBscript version. I'll upload later for people to test.

I will try and knock up something better in the next few days. Or if there are volunteers.

Donk and all - do you think that a development stuff like scripts and such should be moved somewhere else? I may be misunderstandig, so this is just an innocent question.

would like to help, simply with two kids after work I'm a bit slow - weekend could be fine ;)

Thanks man,

Worked perfect for me.

But I have a question.

I can only select 1024x768 resolution.

There is a way to set a higher resolution?

Or to install my video driver? (geforce 7900gtx)

I'm using the retail version 10.5.4,

can I use the oficial update to 10.5.5??

Thanks

Thanks man,

Worked perfect for me.

But I have a question.

I can only select 1024x768 resolution.

There is a way to set a higher resolution?

Or to install my video driver? (geforce 7900gtx)

I'm using the retail version 10.5.4,

can I use the oficial update to 10.5.5??

Thanks

Edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to include this:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280×1024×32</string>

Edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to include this:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280×1024×32</string>

Thanks, that worked.

A tip for the newbies:

To edit com.apple.boot.plist on leopard, copy it to the desktop, edit, than copy back to SystemConfiguration folder.

And about the update,

can I instal 10.5.5 from apple??

Hi Donk,

Really thanks for the great work you've done. As I'm still a newbie in this forum, I'm wondering whether you/anyone can share the steps to create the darwin-64 template for workstation 6.5.

I've been searching through the forum for days but it seemed that no one has published the procedures on how to do it.

Could anyone please provide us a guide on how to run OS X on vmware from scratch instead of giving us templates. I believe people like me would keen to know how to make it happenen.

Thank you very much

Tanky

Hi Donk,

Really thanks for the great work you've done. As I'm still a newbie in this forum, I'm wondering whether you/anyone can share the steps to create the darwin-64 template for workstation 6.5.

I've been searching through the forum for days but it seemed that no one has published the procedures on how to do it.

Could anyone please provide us a guide on how to run OS X on vmware from scratch instead of giving us templates. I believe people like me would keen to know how to make it happenen.

Thank you very much

Tanky

The template is a combination of 3 things:

1. VMX file which needs some things in it that the standard Workstation UI can't provide, but Fusion does when setting up the Mac OS X Server support. So create a new guest, based on a 64-bit OS, say FreeBSD 64-bit. For best performance select SCSI drives for the guest, as you get better performance. Then you need to add a few lines to the VMX file used to describe the guest. To do this make sure VMware is not running, and open the VMX file in a text editor. Then:

a. Change guestos line to either:

guestos = "darwin"

or

guestos = "darwin-64"

b. Add these 2 lines:

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "false"

Then save the VMX file. That is really all you need to do there.

2. As an option I have provided pre-formatted SCSI disk as part of the template, but not that important,except in this particular case as I just chain to the hard drive I also installed the boot-132 EFI Partition variant from Munky.

3. CD image to boot from.This is hard coded into VMware products and I currently cannot find a way around it. This is CD needs to be able to be mounted invisibly by VMware and need to be digitally signed, hence my scripts included in this template.

Hopefully gives you some ideas.

Donk and all - do you think that a development stuff like scripts and such should be moved somewhere else? I may be misunderstandig, so this is just an innocent question.

would like to help, simply with two kids after work I'm a bit slow - weekend could be fine :(

You are probably right. Let me get the VBscript version hacked up a bit more and then maybe I could PM you with it to test. I just need to test on 64-bit Windows before sending it out.

Donk - can I use your step by step guide above to upgrade my VMWare Leopard installation based on your previous templates to use your new templates including the SCSI disk ability or do I need to do a complete re-install of Leopard?

Hey Donk, Thanks for all your work, i appreciate the help you're giving to the community !!

I'm having issues getting it to work on my system - hope that someone could assist ...

My Setup:

Laptop:
  • Name: Intel Core Duo T2300E

• Specification: Genuine lntel® CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz

• Instructions: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3

OS / SW

• Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2

• VMware Workstation 6.5.1 build-126130

• Mac OSX Retail v10.5.4 Build 9E25

• Using Darwin-32 VM

VMware Modifications

signiso workstation backup

Changed Files:

darwin.iso 900 KB ISO File 12/6/2008 12:51 PM

tools-key.pub 1 KB PUB File 12/6/2008 12:51 PM

darwin.iso.sig 1 KB SIG File 12/6/2008 12:55 PM

freebsd.iso.sig 1 KB SIG File 12/6/2008 12:55 PM

linux.iso.sig 1 KB SIG File 12/6/2008 12:55 PM

netware.iso.sig 1 KB SIG File 12/6/2008 12:55 PM

solaris.iso.sig 1 KB SIG File 12/6/2008 12:55 PM

windows.iso.sig 1 KB SIG File 12/6/2008 12:55 PM

winPre2k.iso.sig 1 KB SIG File 12/6/2008 12:55 PM

I booted normal with -v and it stops at Fig 1

I rebooted with -v -x -f -legacy cpus=1 and it stops at Fig 2, 3

I would really like to get it working in a VM as opposed to playing around with the actual laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

post-331575-1228595161_thumb.gif

post-331575-1228595183_thumb.gif

post-331575-1228595201_thumb.gif

Thanks Donk,

It seemed that the darwin.iso attached can only be used with the guest templates provided because they were chained. Would it be possible to get the one which is not chained? Like the one vmdonk.iso posted on the other thread.

I really appreciate it. Thank you

Tanky

The template is a combination of 3 things:

1. VMX file which needs some things in it that the standard Workstation UI can't provide, but Fusion does when setting up the Mac OS X Server support. So create a new guest, based on a 64-bit OS, say FreeBSD 64-bit. For best performance select SCSI drives for the guest, as you get better performance. Then you need to add a few lines to the VMX file used to describe the guest. To do this make sure VMware is not running, and open the VMX file in a text editor. Then:

a. Change guestos line to either:

guestos = "darwin"

or

guestos = "darwin-64"

b. Add these 2 lines:

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "false"

Then save the VMX file. That is really all you need to do there.

2. As an option I have provided pre-formatted SCSI disk as part of the template, but not that important,except in this particular case as I just chain to the hard drive I also installed the boot-132 EFI Partition variant from Munky.

3. CD image to boot from.This is hard coded into VMware products and I currently cannot find a way around it. This is CD needs to be able to be mounted invisibly by VMware and need to be digitally signed, hence my scripts included in this template.

Hopefully gives you some ideas.

You are probably right. Let me get the VBscript version hacked up a bit more and then maybe I could PM you with it to test. I just need to test on 64-bit Windows before sending it out.

Donk - can I use your step by step guide above to upgrade my VMWare Leopard installation based on your previous templates to use your new templates including the SCSI disk ability or do I need to do a complete re-install of Leopard?

hug, please read donk's first contribution: "it is 'either or' option". the boot concepts are different: first is made as mapped CD drive, the second makes it transparently. concerning templates as such probably in general also not exchangable. but you can also contribute a bit and try to change in the earlier version from IDE to SCSI HDD and see if Leo boots still. It would be a nice experiment I didn't have a time to fulfill :)

Thanks for this wonderful work, Donk & all the others who contributed in one way or another!

It's great for those of us who bought a Montevina laptop and can't do a reguler install for the moment (and probably never will...). The installer is still running on my laptop, but everything went smoothly until now (10.5.0 Retail DVD).