VMware Retail Leopard Templates

Donk

393 posts in this topic

This is really weird. I followed the instructions. Point the dvd to Retail Leopard 10.5.1 iso. Start Darwin-32, Cancel VMtools install immediately, hit esc and type 9f, and it says press any key or F8.

When I press any key, the apple logo just shows up indefinitely. So I restarted the session and instead of pressing any key, I did F8 and did a -v. If I catch it correctly, it says Loading Darwin and the screen goes blank.

Did I do something wrong?

I'm using VMWare 6.5.1 with XP. I'm running Pentium D 2.8 and Intel motherboard.

Any takers?

Thanks for your time.

Vincent

This is really weird. I followed the instructions. Point the dvd to Retail Leopard 10.5.1 iso. Start Darwin-32, Cancel VMtools install immediately, hit esc and type 9f, and it says press any key or F8.

When I press any key, the apple logo just shows up indefinitely. So I restarted the session and instead of pressing any key, I did F8 and did a -v. If I catch it correctly, it says Loading Darwin and the screen goes blank.

Did I do something wrong?

I'm using VMWare 6.5.1 with XP. I'm running Pentium D 2.8 and Intel motherboard.

Any takers?

Thanks for your time.

Vincent

Not a supported processor. This works currently only with processors that Leopard supports out of the box.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone's VM of OS X through windows support their iphone? I cannot get my VM to recognize my iphone.. Well it's recognized, but it will not connect. Not even as a mass storage device. flash drives, etc work though.

• 3 weeks later...
Odd. Can you recreate the ISO, maybe there is something wrong with it? Also remember it must be a retail DVD, not a restore DVD from another machine.

I just would like to share that following the first page on this topic (Thank very much Donk!) I had successfully installed Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd using the Darwin-64 template.

I don't know what this DVD have, but it worked. I have no sound support but I really don't need it now.

PC SPECS:

Mobo: Intel DG33BU

Core 2 Duo E8400

4GB RAM

Windows XP SP3

VMware Workstation 6.5.1 build 126130

I also downloaded VMware Fusion 2.0.2, extracted darwin.iso and installed VMware tools.

After the reboot, a VMware Share Folder icon appeared in my desktop.

I configured a shared folder um VMware and rebooted the vm.

When I click to open the shared folder, i got this message:

"The folder VMware Shared Folders could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges."

Anyone know how can I fix this?

And another question: Can I enable 2 processors?

Edit: Just enabled, and it worked!

Does anyone's VM of OS X through windows support their iphone? I cannot get my VM to recognize my iphone.. Well it's recognized, but it will not connect. Not even as a mass storage device. flash drives, etc work though.

Mine is recognizing it but no icon appears on the desktop.

But if open iPhoto, I can get the photos.

When I opened iTunes I got a message asking to update it so it can connect to the iPhone but I still didn't do it because I'm already syncing it with the iTunes in my windows xp host.

I seem to have damaged my installation by installing the Fusion tools.

- Windows 7 host

- Core i7

- Radeon 4870

I can still launch my VM, but the Finder won't run (everything else seems to...). I'm not sure how to either fix it, or roll back the VMWare Tools installation... is either doable? :unsure:

I had the same problem. The conflict appears to be the kext that VMware supplied to make shared folder functionality work.

You need to edit this file:

/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/services.sh

Find the section that looks like this (without the comment # in front):

# if isLeopard; then

# # Start support for Shared Folders

# kextload '/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools'/vmhgfs.kext

# mkdir -p '/Volumes/VMware Shared Folders'

# mount -t vmhgfs .host:/ '/Volumes/VMware Shared Folders'

# for i in /Users/*; do

# if [ -d "$i"'/Desktop' ]; then

# (

# cd "$i"'/Desktop'

# ln -s '/Volumes/VMware Shared Folders'

# )

# fi

# done

# fi

# ;;

And comment it all out.

Is the shared folders functionality actually working for anyone?

Just to let you guys know that also following the first page on this topic (Thank very much Donk!) I had successfully installed a retail MAC OS 10.5.6 using the Darwin-64 template.

Didn't try to install vmware tools since my host is a windows xp and reading this thread it looks like the display driver doesn't work, shared folder doesn't work, mouse driver doesn't work, nothing work when the host is windows.

My mouse is already entering and exiting the vm automaticaly and it's all I need.

I don't need sound also. (it's not working)

Is the shared folders functionality actually working for anyone?

It works but you have to use su or sudo to get to the data. It seems there is a difference in the internal API used in Fusion and Workstation/Server/Player, causing the share to have different permissions n the different platforms. I have been browsing the source code from the the VMware Open Tools project but can't seem to find the areas responsible currently.

Just to let you guys know that also following the first page on this topic (Thank very much Donk!) I had successfully installed a retail MAC OS 10.5.6 using the Darwin-64 template.

Didn't try to install vmware tools since my host is a windows xp and reading this thread it looks like the display driver doesn't work, shared folder doesn't work, mouse driver doesn't work, nothing work when the host is windows.

My mouse is already entering and exiting the vm automaticaly and it's all I need.

I don't need sound also. (it's not working)

The tools do work just that not all features easily accessible, e.g. copy & paste between host and guest. Sound needs separate driver which is int the thread somewhere!

OK so some good news and some bad news. [bad news snipped] The good news is that I have left a Leopard guest running for 7 days on a P4 box using the voodoo kernel, and it works OK and no Kernel Panics. Setting it up is a bit more involved than using a supported retail CPU, but only during the install process and only in that you have to be careful on the boot loader parameters. Once installed it seems to run and boot just fine.

So I am now going to release once I get the process documented, and before you ask it will be a few days, as I have work and family committments to sort out first! (Top priority being my wife's birthday :gathering: )

Any status updates on this? It'd certainly be neat to see it when you've gotten it working! (And happy belated birthday to your wife. ;) )

Any status updates on this? It'd certainly be neat to see it when you've gotten it working! (And happy belated birthday to your wife. :) )

Been busy with work hence few updates from me recently. I'll go and find what I had done and see what I can fix up for a posting.

I have installed OSX 10.5 Retail and after it has installed and restarted I get the following error:

You appear to have resolved your original problem of not finding the dvd when 9f device is supplied. I am having same problem. Can you share the solution you found?

(My environment is Vmware Server 2.0 on linux, tried by Darwin-64 and Darwin-32 template. Get boot: prompt, hit escape, and supply 9f, but it just cycles to the boot: prompt again. Could this be that the bios will not boot from dvd if the original boot was not from dvd? Boot132 has same problem on a "real" machine).

You appear to have resolved your original problem of not finding the dvd when 9f device is supplied. I am having same problem. Can you share the solution you found?

(My environment is Vmware Server 2.0 on linux, tried by Darwin-64 and Darwin-32 template. Get boot: prompt, hit escape, and supply 9f, but it just cycles to the boot: prompt again. Could this be that the bios will not boot from dvd if the original boot was not from dvd? Boot132 has same problem on a "real" machine).

Remember to cancel the VMware tools install as documented in my original post..

Remember to cancel the VMware tools install as documented in my original post..

This is Vmware Server 2.0, using the VMware Intrastructure Web Access, there is no tools installation in progress. There is a link "Install Vmware Tools" on right sidebar of Summary, and it definitely does not attempt to install the tools unless clicked on. After it does, new links appears "eject ...", but starting an install then stopping it this way does not make any difference. Note that for my original guest os setup, which was "64 bit other", there were no vmware tools to be installed. To enable tools, I had to choose a different os, chose windows xp 64. Seems the cdrom drive just is not being seen as a boot volume. I tried with an iso image, also with a real install dvd. Nothing recognized. Also tried using [ef] as a boot device, since this was what I used for boot132 in past. Nothing.

I was having the same problem (under workstation 6.5.1). It took once and I successfully installed and ran leopard with the darwin-32 template. I then went to try the 64bit template on another machine. Long story short, I then ran into this exact issue, which I had recalled seeing in my first attempts, yet had managed to get it to work. What I ended up discovering is that the template had become 'dirty' by my likely not following the steps exactly right. I at first had run diffs on the templates and tried to revert my vm config by ensuring the config was the same, save for the few options that were supposed to be different (like Darwin-64). This still didn't work. I finally decided to revert back to the original template by re-extracting donk's package and dropping the Darwin-64/ template path in place and VOILA! success!

On another note, I have continued to have keyboard issues with the keyboard lagging out quite terribly. I've tried the modifications suggested in Donk's other thread that involved adding the usb config to the .vmx and removing the 'hub' definition. I thought maybe it was better, but it is not.

It does sort of feel like it could be worse after some time of idle period, despite having all the power saving features disabled. It is somewhat random however on when it does occur, so nothing is certain outside of it being VERY annoying. It is sadly the one issue that still makes this unusable for me :(

For those having issues with keyboard and mouse. can you try the following changes to the VMX file. Remember power off guest and shut down VMware before editing.

USB:0.deviceType = "mouse"

usb:0.present = "TRUE"

USB:1.deviceType = "keyboard"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

USB:2.deviceType = "hub"

usb:2.present = "TRUE"

keyboard.typematicMinDelay = "1000000"

You can try changing the typematic rate. It is currently set to 1 second. Let me know if it fixes things please. If that doesn't work try adding:

host.useTSC = "TRUE"

Edit: Added missing line for mouse

Probably a better solution. See this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...d=1126267

Hi Donk,

I wanted to PM you, but this stupid forum software will not let me.

I have to enter more than 2 characters. I don't know which number system is in use here.

Anyway, I think you missed the device type for usb:0.

Robert

Thanks for your great work here, Donk. I can't imagine how much effort this has taken... but it's much appreciated!

I'm also having trouble with VMWare Server 2.0 and these templates. Like an earlier poster, I get the boot: prompt and hit enter, then I briefly see the com.apple.Boot.plist error, then get dumped back to the boot: prompt.

I don't believe it's the VMWare Tools issue, because Server doesn't try do install Tools unless you specifically request it.

If I hit escape and enter 9f as the boot device, anything else I do just loops me back to the "enter boot device" screen -- even if I give up and put it back to 80, hitting enter at that point no longer gives me the com.apple.Boot.plist error, but instead prompts me to enter the boot device again.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your great work here, Donk. I can't imagine how much effort this has taken... but it's much appreciated!

I'm also having trouble with VMWare Server 2.0 and these templates. Like an earlier poster, I get the boot: prompt and hit enter, then I briefly see the com.apple.Boot.plist error, then get dumped back to the boot: prompt.

I don't believe it's the VMWare Tools issue, because Server doesn't try do install Tools unless you specifically request it.

If I hit escape and enter 9f as the boot device, anything else I do just loops me back to the "enter boot device" screen -- even if I give up and put it back to 80, hitting enter at that point no longer gives me the com.apple.Boot.plist error, but instead prompts me to enter the boot device again.

Any ideas?

It is silently mounting the darwin.iso every time it boots the guest. Just how VMware implemented it. Have a look and see if the Server UI allows the tools installation to be cancelled.

Hi Donk,

I wanted to PM you, but this stupid forum software will not let me.

I have to enter more than 2 characters. I don't know which number system is in use here.

Anyway, I think you missed the device type for usb:0.

Robert

Sorry missed a line.

Will edit the original post.

For those having issues with keyboard and mouse. can you try the following changes to the VMX file. Remember power off guest and shut down VMware before editing.

You can try changing the typematic rate. It is currently set to 1 second. Let me know if it fixes things please. If that doesn't work try adding:

host.useTSC = "TRUE"

Ok, thank you for that information. I am trying the first step of adding the typematic mindelay. I've still had the wierdness occur, but it seems less? I'm not certain yet, but some continued use should determine if it has improved or not. So, would you suggest that I try increasing it slightly from 1 second, say by increments of 500ms?

I have yet to try the useTSC option. What does that do exactly?

tca

Any ideas?

I've seen this issue occur when the steps were not carefully followed. Did you run the signiso properly? You run it just once, up front with '--backup'. Do not run it twice. Additionally, I've found after I made a mistake in my first attempt that I had to re-extract the template that I was using as vmware was writing out on quit something that essentially broke the template (at least with my version of workstation 6.5). If you think you've really screwed the pooch with things as I did once by running signiso wrong, then best is to start from scratch by reinstalling vmware, which will fix the distributed iso's; extract the templates fresh; run signiso.sh --backup; run the vm; cancel tools; connect the cdrom (with retail in place); hit esc and 9f. (i've assumed a linux host here). I think you just need to reset your template, so try that first.

It is silently mounting the darwin.iso every time it boots the guest. Just how VMware implemented it. Have a look and see if the Server UI allows the tools installation to be cancelled.

You're quite correct. I'm not seeing a way to prevent the mount, but I do have things working better like this:

- Start VM

- When boot menu comes up, select "eject client tools" from VMWare Server web interface

- Using viewer, connect CDROM to host's CD ROM drive

That's gotten me as far as the Apple grey install screen, but now my installation is hung (or at least hasn't spun up the CD ROM [legit retail OSX 10.5.4] in the past 30 minutes or so, after a couple of hours of working it regularly). I'll be patient for a while.

Donk you magnificent beast, it works great!

Some of the installation steps were a little confusing, but I re-read the thread so I could learn from others' mistakes instead of asking retard questions. Installed XxX and it works like a charm.

Okay, a couple retard questions:

- While I'm typing, sometimes a key will get 'stuck' until I reboot the VM. How can I fix that?

- How do I learn what keys on my keyboard map to special mac keys?

Donk you magnificent beast, it works great!

Some of the installation steps were a little confusing, but I re-read the thread so I could learn from others' mistakes instead of asking retard questions. Installed XxX and it works like a charm.

Okay, a couple retard questions:

- While I'm typing, sometimes a key will get 'stuck' until I reboot the VM. How can I fix that?

- How do I learn what keys on my keyboard map to special mac keys?

Magnificent beast? Not what my wife calls me! Mind you as a 6ft 5in ex-rugby player the beast bit may be accurate.

So for your questions:

1. See this post for a possible solution http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;st=240

2. By pressing them! Seriously you may be better off by finding a PC keyboard map in your language for the guest. I use a British map to make it easier. Also use System Configuration to make the Windows key the Apple key.

That's gotten me as far as the Apple grey install screen, but now my installation is hung (or at least hasn't spun up the CD ROM [legit retail OSX 10.5.4] in the past 30 minutes or so, after a couple of hours of working it regularly). I'll be patient for a while.

Try booting with -v -f -x.

host.useTSC = "TRUE"

Actually try deleting the usb lines first. I think it may be better than a cr@p load more parameters. Testing here to check it doesn't cause additional problems.