VMware Retail Leopard Templates

Donk

393 posts in this topic

Hi Donk, thanks for your hard work!!!

I'm trying to install Leopard 10.5.4 on VMware machine on a Pentium 4 (I know that it's not supported CPU). Can I try your voodoo template (if ready)? Thanks very much.

Sorry lost them due to a machine failure, and I don't have time to recreate them currently.

Sorry lost them due to a machine failure, and I don't have time to recreate them currently.

Is there another way to get a FAST Leopard installation on VMware? I tried pcwiz image but it's damned slow... Any other distro or method? Thank a lot anyway.

Is there another way to get a FAST Leopard installation on VMware? I tried pcwiz image but it's damned slow... Any other distro or method? Thank a lot anyway.

I believe the templates can be used with other distros. Try iAtkos which is what I used originally. (On a side note I have found a backup of the voodoo work, but need to re-test as I did lose th escreenshots of how to use it.)

does anyone have simple instructions to install vmtools?

I have spend 2 days reading this thread and other threads which all lead back to here, and I still cant figure it out. I'm not a dummy either...its just this thread jumps all over the place and isnt strait forward.

I have the russian "MacOS 10.5.5 VMWARE image" found at the place with the ship, installed in Windows 7 / VMware workstation on a IBM x60s core duo t2400 with intel virtualization and 3gb ram. It works ok and QE/CI works and looks good, however its painfully slow because vmtools isnt installed. Mouse moves ok, but opening programs takes a long time. I have an Ubuntu v-machine with vmtools installed and it works seemlessly, so I know my hardware is good enough.....and I have in the past nativly installed retail 10.5.6 on this machine with good success.

I just want to get iphone SDK up so I can start learning how to code for iphone

Step 1: get osx 10.5.5 working on vmware

Step 2: install vm tools

Step 3: ????

Step 4: profit

Stuck at step 2...

Thanks

I got this up and running on an Intel core2duo, and I was wondering,

Has anybody had success installing a patched DVD with the voodoo kernel selected, on a supported system, then copying it over to an unsupported system? If so, in the customize options, did you select anything(besides voodoo kernel)?

-Thanks

Actually try deleting the usb lines first. I think it may be better than a cr@p load more parameters. Testing here to check it doesn't cause additional problems.

I guess the other alternative is to install PS2 drivers and disable the USB keyboard and mouse in the guest. I have tested it and works for me.

1. Download the PS2 drivers from attached to this post

2. Install to the /S/L/E folder as usual for an extension

3. Edit the VMX file:

a. Remove the USB stuff as before.

b. Add:

mouse.vusb.enable = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE"

Let me know how it goes and I will look at updating the main templates.

ApplePS2.zip

1. Download the PS2 drivers from attached to this post

2. Install to the /S/L/E folder as usual for an extension

3. Edit the VMX file:

a. Remove the USB stuff as before.

b. Add:

mouse.vusb.enable = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE"

Let me know how it goes and I will look at updating the main templates.

This seems to work way better. Using the standard set of options occasionally the keyboard freaks out and you can not type correctly (last keystroke is repeated forever on each keyboard typing delay). You can fix it by doing a certain pattern clicking outside/inside the machine but alongside that you need some luck to "unstuck" it... Same goes for the mouse which sometimes stucks on some button/scrollbar/window and you can't release it.

I have the Darwin-32 template running successfully with iDeneb (which uses a Vodoo Kernel) on a Intel PentiumD 3Ghz 935 CPU (has VT extension) on a Linux host.

After installing the VMware Fusion Darwin Tools I can use shared folders+copy/paste and the mouse was able to freely leave/enter the machine display (before I made the PS/2 changes above ofc.).

Linux hosts might need to add a mount option to the mount line in "/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/services.sh" with "-o uid=<your-uid>" (check output of "id") in order to get write support and not just read-only access since Mac OS actually honors filesystem attributes.

Only annoying issue left is that I need to manually cancel the VMware tools install on every boot due to the template.

Oh and hopefully someone will step up implementing a svga display driver finally... ;)

This seems to work way better. Using the standard set of options occasionally the keyboard freaks out and you can not type correctly (last keystroke is repeated forever on each keyboard typing delay). You can fix it by doing a certain pattern clicking outside/inside the machine but alongside that you need some luck to "unstuck" it... Same goes for the mouse which sometimes stucks on some button/scrollbar/window and you can't release it.

I have the Darwin-32 template running successfully with iDeneb (which uses a Vodoo Kernel) on a Intel PentiumD 3Ghz 935 CPU (has VT extension) on a Linux host.

After installing the VMware Fusion Darwin Tools I can use shared folders+copy/paste and the mouse was able to freely leave/enter the machine display (before I made the PS/2 changes above ofc.).

Linux hosts might need to add a mount option to the mount line in "/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/services.sh" with "-o uid=<your-uid>" (check output of "id") in order to get write support and not just read-only access since Mac OS actually honors filesystem attributes.

Only annoying issue left is that I need to manually cancel the VMware tools install on every boot due to the template.

Oh and hopefully someone will step up implementing a svga display driver finally... :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for your testing. I am going to try the new Voodoo PS2 Controller extension out later as it can be. I meant to confirm the shared folders fix after another thread gave me the answer.

Unfortunately the iso remaining mounted is how VMware implements Mac OS X booting and not actually the templates. I suggest you could put an eject command in services.sh if you wanted to fix it.

The VMware SVGA II framebuffer driver can be made to load with some hex edits. I am looking into some more background work first, as whilst it loads resizing doesn't work.

Thanks for your testing. I am going to try the new Voodoo PS2 Controller extension out later as it can be. I meant to confirm the shared folders fix after another thread gave me the answer.

Unfortunately the iso remaining mounted is how VMware implements Mac OS X booting and not actually the templates. I suggest you could put an eject command in services.sh if you wanted to fix it.

The VMware SVGA II framebuffer driver can be made to load with some hex edits. I am looking into some more background work first, as whilst it loads resizing doesn't work.

Hi, there,

Thank you guys (Donk especially) for your great work!

I have a question. Is there a way to run Leo under ESX 3.5 server?

Thank you in advance, Dmitry

Not a supported processor. This works currently only with processors that Leopard supports out of the box.

I seem to be having the same problem (staring at Apple logo) with Workstation 6.5.1 on a Dell Latitude E4300 (Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz). Any ideas what I should look at?

Thanks,

Hi, there,

Thank you guys (Donk especially) for your great work!

I have a question. Is there a way to run Leo under ESX 3.5 server?

Thank you in advance, Dmitry

Pretty sure it doesn't currently as the level of virtual hardware of ESX 3.5 does not match Workstation, Server, Player and Fusion. ESX 4 may be different.

I seem to be having the same problem (staring at Apple logo) with Workstation 6.5.1 on a Dell Latitude E4300 (Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz). Any ideas what I should look at?

Thanks,

That processor does not support VT-x extensions so can only run 32-bit virtual machines. Try the darwin-32 version instead.

Pretty sure it doesn't currently as the level of virtual hardware of ESX 3.5 does not match Workstation, Server, Player and Fusion. ESX 4 may be different.

That processor does not support VT-x extensions so can only run 32-bit virtual machines. Try the darwin-32 version instead.

Thanks for your reply. Indeed I don't get even this far with the 64-bit version. But I still am getting this problem with the 32-bit version. Any other ideas?

--rudolf

Thanks for your reply. Indeed I don't get even this far with the 64-bit version. But I still am getting this problem with the 32-bit version. Any other ideas?

--rudolf

You are booting with -legacy flag during installation?

You are booting with -legacy flag during installation?

Oh, no, didn't realize I should do that...I will try that.

Thanks!

Oh, no, didn't realize I should do that...I will try that.

Thanks!

Tried -legacy, still staring at the grey Apple. Is it just really slow and I'm not being patient enough?

Tried -legacy, still staring at the grey Apple. Is it just really slow and I'm not being patient enough?

Try -legacy -v -x -f and then take a screenshot might help find the issue. What DVD are you using? It is a retail DVD not restore DVD?

Try -legacy -v -x -f and then take a screenshot might help find the issue. What DVD are you using? It is a retail DVD not restore DVD?

That seems like an interesting error in this screenshot...

It is indeed a retail DVD from a Mac I upgraded.

I thought the error in the previous screen shot may have been due to resetting the VM from the previous failed install. So I started with a fresh darwin-32 template, and this is where it appears to have hung:

post-410955-1239652148_thumb.png

Any idea why I am getting this error. I think I am following the instructions

Apr 13 01:09:51.968: vcpu-0| VIDE: (0x170) OUTB Cmd 0xe6, Aborting Unknown Atapi Command

I am trying to install leopard on Dell D620 using VMWare Server 2.0 and have enabled the virtualization. I followed the steps provided in the post and get past initial boot and could not go further than the blue apple screen. Here is some output of vmware.log in Darwin folder

Apr 13 10:42:20.070: vcpu-0| SVGA: Registering IOSpace at 0x10d0

Apr 13 10:42:21.304: vcpu-0| VIDE: (0x1F0) Not supporting Feature request: 0xAA

Apr 13 10:42:21.460: vmx| CDROM ide1:0: CMD 0x5a (MODE SENSE(10)) FAILED (key 0x5 asc 0x24 ascq 0)

Apr 13 10:42:21.460: vmx| CDROM ide1:0: CMD 0x5a (MODE SENSE(10)) FAILED (key 0x5 asc 0x24 ascq 0)

Apr 13 10:42:21.460: vmx| CDROM ide1:0: CMD 0x1a (MODE SENSE(6)) FAILED (key 0x5 asc 0x24 ascq 0)

Apr 13 10:42:21.460: vmx| CDROM ide1:0: CMD 0x1a (MODE SENSE(6)) FAILED (key 0x5 asc 0x24 ascq 0)

Apr 13 10:42:26.414: vcpu-0| UHCI: Global Reset

Apr 13 10:42:26.508: vcpu-0| UHCI: HCReset

Apr 13 10:42:29.805: mks| MKS switching absolute mouse on

Apr 13 10:51:06.338: vmx| TOOLS setting the tools version to '0'

Apr 13 11:02:35.162: vcpu-0| VIDE: (0x170) OUTB Cmd 0xe6, Aborting Unknown Atapi Command

Any idea why I am getting this error. I think I am following the instructions

Apr 13 01:09:51.968: vcpu-0| VIDE: (0x170) OUTB Cmd 0xe6, Aborting Unknown Atapi Command

I am trying to install leopard on Dell D620 using VMWare Server 2.0 and have enabled the virtualization. I followed the steps provided in the post and get past initial boot and could not go further than the blue apple screen. Here is some output of vmware.log in Darwin folder

So some simple questions, as I think the log errors aren't the problem.

1. What is the DVD you are using, retail, recovery, some other distro?

2. VT-x is enabled in the BIOS? And hard power off happened if you changed the setting?

3. Are you using the templates from this thread, which is all I am currently supporting?

4. Can you boot woith -v -f -x flags and take a screenshot of when it stalls?

I thought the error in the previous screen shot may have been due to resetting the VM from the previous failed install. So I started with a fresh darwin-32 template, and this is where it appears to have hung:

Hmm bit stumped by this one. Could you run the guest with VMware debug on? It is set in the virtual machine settings "Other Tab" -> "Advanced Settings" -> "Gather debugging information" set to "Full". When you get to the error, copy the vmware.log file from folder holding the guest, and attach to the post.

1. What is the DVD you are using, retail, recovery, some other distro?

2. VT-x is enabled in the BIOS? And hard power off happened if you changed the setting?

3. Are you using the templates from this thread, which is all I am currently supporting?

4. Can you boot woith -v -f -x flags and take a screenshot of when it stalls?

Hmm bit stumped by this one. Could you run the guest with VMware debug on? It is set in the virtual machine settings "Other Tab" -> "Advanced Settings" -> "Gather debugging information" set to "Full". When you get to the error, copy the vmware.log file from folder holding the guest, and attach to the post.

Here is the vmware.log. I don't know enough to make sense of what's in there myself, hopefully there's a smoking gun in there. Thanks again for your time,

vmware.log.zip

Here is the vmware.log. I don't know enough to make sense of what's in there myself, hopefully there's a smoking gun in there. Thanks again for your time,

Damn nothing obvious. I guess the best I can do is disable VT-x on my laptop and see if I can get it going. However, running some 64-bit stuff currently so will be a day or so before I can get to it.

1. What is the DVD you are using, retail, recovery, some other distro? (I think it is retail iATKOS_5i.iso)

2. VT-x is enabled in the BIOS? And hard power off happened if you changed the setting? (Yes)

3. Are you using the templates from this thread, which is all I am currently supporting? Yes (Darwin 32)

4. Can you boot with -v -f -x flags and take a screenshot of when it stalls? It hangs in blue screen

I am a newbie please bear with me. My answers follow the questions

Attaching the vmware.log

vmware.zip

Damn nothing obvious. I guess the best I can do is disable VT-x on my laptop and see if I can get it going. However, running some 64-bit stuff currently so will be a day or so before I can get to it.

I appreciate you taking the time to look at this. Anything you want me to try, let me know.

Thanks,

Thanks Donker-dude. I used your template to get a working system that then let me do my real install. I now have a nice clean install on a MBR virtual disk using Chameleon and it doesn't require any special pre-boot stuff. I was even able to use a vanilla FreeBSD-64 virtual machine template with only the machine type changed to "darwin-64".

One problem is that on my Linux host VMware can't edit those "darwin-64" machines. Trying to open any dialog to edit or change the VM settings causes a segfault. I guess some sort of bug in the Linux version of VMware.

Only show stopper problem is the keyboard issues. None of the various VMware settings I have tried in the vmx fix it. The PS/2 extensions you posted work better and fix the key lagging and repeating problems but they break other things like the Option/Apple key (ie. "Windows" key on regular PC keyboard) no longer works and I can't use keyboard shortcuts like quit and copy/paste.