VMware Retail Leopard Templates

Donk

393 posts in this topic

hug, please read donk's first contribution: "it is 'either or' option". the boot concepts are different: first is made as mapped CD drive, the second makes it transparently. concerning templates as such probably in general also not exchangable. but you can also contribute a bit and try to change in the earlier version from IDE to SCSI HDD and see if Leo boots still. It would be a nice experiment I didn't have a time to fulfill ;)

Yes it is possible. You need to read the thread on Munky's EFI Partition booter and setup the EFI partition as described there. You can attach the template virtual disk to your booting session and use the files in the EFI partition there to copy them over.

Also could try Carbon Copy Cloner, but I don't know what it does to the EFI partition.

Ok, sweet install with the new template. Everything works fine in both XP and Vista, except for the boot which is a bit slow (spinning grey wheel for a long time). Other than that, it's great.

One thing, it still doesn't work with Linux. When I open the install, it says the hard drive size is 0 and VMWare crashes (i.e the window just disappears) when I try to change any settings. Can this be rectified?

Thanks

Rafael

Ok, sweet install with the new template. Everything works fine in both XP and Vista, except for the boot which is a bit slow (spinning grey wheel for a long time). Other than that, it's great.

One thing, it still doesn't work with Linux. When I open the install, it says the hard drive size is 0 and VMWare crashes (i.e the window just disappears) when I try to change any settings. Can this be rectified?

Thanks

Rafael

You may need to alter the template to use a Linux path for the virtual hard disk I will check into it. The GUI crashes as we have settings in there that VMware doesn't understand. Suggest edit by hand in text editor, or open in text editor and change guestos string to something else, such as freebsd-64. Open in VMware use the gui, exit VMare and then edit back to darwin-64. That's just because for non-Fusion version of VMware all this is undocumented and unsupported.

Hi Donk,

Would you please outline the procedures on how to install Munky's EFI partition on a newly created VM harddisk as it is quite difficult to follow from different threads. If possible, can you also supply the required files.

Hope you can understand that people like me would like to build a clean OSX from scratch, but it is relatively hard to pick things up with little experience.

Honestly, I did read a lot of posts from you and Munky before I make such a request, but still couldn't figure out where to start. Since you are one of those people who have a lot of experience in both VMWare + OSX installation, I can't think of anyone to ask but only you.

I'm so glad if you can provide me a short note / guide me to the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Tanky

I will likely update with the next Chameleon boot loader, which does EFI

partition, DSDT overrides etc., once it comes out. Also will add voodoo kernel

templates once it reaches release. This may help those on unsupported

processors.

hi, now the Voodoo kernel is released, any chance of a voodoo kernel template? thanks ;)

Hi Donk,

Would you please outline the procedures on how to install Munky's EFI partition on a newly created VM harddisk as it is quite difficult to follow from different threads. If possible, can you also supply the required files.

Hope you can understand that people like me would like to build a clean OSX from scratch, but it is relatively hard to pick things up with little experience.

Honestly, I did read a lot of posts from you and Munky before I make such a request, but still couldn't figure out where to start. Since you are one of those people who have a lot of experience in both VMWare + OSX installation, I can't think of anyone to ask but only you.

I'm so glad if you can provide me a short note / guide me to the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Tanky

Possibly but I am a bit busy with work currently.

First up... impressive. Hats off.. and big hand!

I have a Mac Book Pro and after leaving it on a Train recently [i was bloody tired.. too many long nights..] - and getting is back [WOW] i was thinking more about better backup with quick recovery in the event i do something stupid again.

Using time capsule is great - but if i need to cough up for a new MBP.. it becomes a little heavy on the pocket - especially when in todays market i can get a cheap windows box that should run Vmware very well - until i can justify another Apple PC.

SO... I want to keep a copy of my leopard installation on time capsule + have a VMware Leopard image that i can then restore my leopard system from time capsule if something goes wrong. So question is, can I build a Leopard VM using Fusion [and this process for building the VM] that can be copied to and run on a Windows box later - using VMWare 6.5.5?

I have Leopard DVD, Fusion 2.0

I also have relatively new Sony notebook, XP, VMware 6.5.5

Many thanks and well done again!

Major

Thanks Donk!!

I haven't got sound, Leopard not detect the sound card. I installed the kext, but it don't work. Is there any way that the sound work?

With IATKOS installed in my Hard Disk sound works. But i had to uninstall IATKOS, and i have virtualized the retail version(10.5.5).

Workstation 6.5.1, Leopard 10.5 ISO updated to 10.5.5. I use Darwin-32. I have a dell xps m1530.

Thanks!!! Bye.

Hi donk,

I seem to be having problems booting my OSX Retail disk, I launch VMWare 6.5.1 it boots to the boot prompt, I press enter and then type 9f but it goes back to the boot prompt even with the Disc or ISO image in the drive. It does not show what it is supposed to should when I run my disk with your templates, I have to use vmdonk.iso instead.

Any ideas how to get it working with your templates?

All the best

NSCXP2005

Hi all,

Is it just me or is my path to iso folder different to the script

script says:

if [ "$OS" = 'Darwin' ]; then

VMPATH='/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion'

my system looks like this:

VMPATH='/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages'

I am running Fusion 2.0 on Leopard 10.5.5

Will push ahead.

Maj

Working now... nice...

Painless installation... really impressed.

Created iso from leopard 10.5 dvd using TOAST [renaming .toast to .iso]

Followed DONKS guide [big hand]. I needed to make some changes but I am now using update to get all system updates in the VM. Next step is to restore host system to new guest using time capsule

My Process in case it helps anyone:

Kit includes:

Fusion 2.0

Leopard 10.5.5

Edit \booter\signiso.sh and change location of isoimages - if required - [for my system i needed it]

To check location - using finder, goto /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/ - if you have a subfolder like me for isoimages - make changes in script

VMPATH='/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages'

to run script properly - and if getting permission errors:

sudo sh signiso.sh --backup

Then... follow Donks instructions :-)

Next question - what is required to copy this VM to a Windows PC - in the even of an emergency and be able to work from it / graphics/sound etc.

Quote:

Note that the graphics driver and shared folders do not work on WIndows and Linux VMware products.

Donk: Question - do i need to restore sig files with sudo sh signiso.sh --restore?

I use VMware for my XP VMs throughout the day.

Thanks again Donk.

Maj

Hi all,

Update:

Installed 64 & 32 bit versions. Both fully updated systems now.

I restored using the script the original iso/sig etc. - but these are needed to run the Leopard VM - else you get the error about running only OSX server only. Easily sorted by re-running the script as --backup

One thing i did find was my previous VM's [XP] showed 'File locked' - I needed to rename the *.lck in each of the the VMs Folder. Now all running as expected.

So - only thing outstanding is installing VMware tools. Donk say:

To install the VMware tools I suggest you use the darwin.iso from Fusion 2.0.1 (get an evaluation if needed). To install you will need to mount this ISO image manually then run the installer. Note that the graphics driver and shared folders do not work on WIndows and Linux VMware products.

On my desktop - i have Darwin already displayed as the main OS drive + BootEFI. I did try to include the other darwin.iso [where the VMtools install is located -where ??] but no go.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thx Maj

Ok.. sorted.

I opened the darwin.iso from the backup folder created by the backup script.

Extracted the Vmware tools and copied to a USB - enabled this in the VM, ran the script and all good!

Hope this helps someone.

Maj

File verification hashes:

vmware-darwin-100.zip

CRC32: A9BCE937

RipeMD-160: FB5642195CFDFF7FACDF3E3266A391CD18AA68F6

Haval: D95D0C5581B26DECD5475F93C484B3FB4D401D84DB67EB5DFFA14C29947C96C6

MD5: BDD2BEE6D94F93BCD4FA4EE553104A64

SHA-160: 30885BFDB617E8B90B1B0E06DFDE57993ECE8C09

SHA-256

94E947ED44715158F91C3E4B7568E27F7CAD6E1CCCA5C741E9D6F6708FC052A6

I wonder, would it be helpful if I mirrored this file. It would be a terrible shame if Mediafire were to delete it.

Great work!

I got everything working on my Mac Pro with Fusion. Performance is great.

I can't get it to work on my Supermicro server. It's a dual Xeon 3.2 Ghz with 6GB of ram.

It had ESX installed but I removed it after I found out the virtual machine is not a high enough version to run OS X. I then installed Windows 2003 server (32bit) with VMWare Server 2. When trying to boot into the installer it just hangs. I just get the grey Apple screen with no spinning gear. If I boot in verbose mode I can see it getting stuck at "Starting Darwin/x86"

I am now installing the 64 bit version of server 2003 to see if that makes a difference. It states on the vmware website you need a 64 bit host OS to have 64 bit VMs.

Thanks again for all the time and effort!

All I have been involved with arranging a funeral and so haven't had much time to answer questions or deliver my new updates to the templates. Now that is over I will start taking a look at this again. Currently my plans are:

1. Update the batch script for Windows. Now works with x32 and x64 plus localizations. (Done)

2. Added voodoo kernel for those who want to try it (Done - variable results.)

3. Double check on Linux that the templates are OK

4. See if I can add sound driver into EFI partition

5. Check if we can use CCC to migrate from old methods to new EFI templates

6. Maybe modify CD image to allow both chain and standard boots; e.g. straight to DVD for installation

7. Possible workarounds to allow other parts of VMware Fusion tools to run on now Mac hosts

What I don't have time to do:

1. Write how to install Leopard. It is just a retail install and there are plenty of tutorials on that. (Sorry NSCXP2005!)

2. How to install EFI boot loader on VMware. Just follow Munky's post, and pretend the virtual OSX is a real one!

Dave

Thanks for the quick response Donk, Will the new features make VMWare boot the Disc instead of the problem arising that I had?

My Post

Please can you let me know.

All the best

NSCXP2005

Have you made sure the virtual CD is connected after cancelling the tools install?

Hi Donk,

I have successfully installed Leopard based on your template, but were unable to resize the partition as it kept returning error "partition map too small". Would you please give me some hints on how to increase the 40GB limit to a bigger one? or provide me another template with bigger virtual harddisk size (e.g. 300GB)

In addition, can you upload all the kexts and the boot loader you used to build the EFI partition, so I can follow munky's post.

Many Thanks,

Tanky

Hi Donk,

I have successfully installed Leopard based on your template, but were unable to resize the partition as it kept returning error "partition map too small". Would you please give me some hints on how to increase the 40GB limit to a bigger one? or provide me another template with bigger virtual harddisk size (e.g. 300GB)

In addition, can you upload all the kexts and the boot loader you used to build the EFI partition, so I can follow munky's post.

Many Thanks,

Tanky

You need to resize the virtual disk first using vmware-vdiskmanager, in VMware installation folder:

vmware-vdiskmanager.exe -x 300GB darwin.vmdk

Then re-partition.

Not at machine with files currently but I used:

1. Munky loader 5.1 - no need for 6 yet http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=35821

Follow the main post http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127330

2. Drivers from here which are http://sites.google.com/a/puredarwin.org/p...?attredirects=0 the same ones from VMware and DFE.

3. AppleDecrypt or dsmos - usual places e.g. Google

Great work!

I got everything working on my Mac Pro with Fusion. Performance is great.

I can't get it to work on my Supermicro server. It's a dual Xeon 3.2 Ghz with 6GB of ram.

It had ESX installed but I removed it after I found out the virtual machine is not a high enough version to run OS X. I then installed Windows 2003 server (32bit) with VMWare Server 2. When trying to boot into the installer it just hangs. I just get the grey Apple screen with no spinning gear. If I boot in verbose mode I can see it getting stuck at "Starting Darwin/x86"

I am now installing the 64 bit version of server 2003 to see if that makes a difference. It states on the vmware website you need a 64 bit host OS to have 64 bit VMs.

Thanks again for all the time and effort!

Hey Donk, any ideas about this? Anyone else out there running dual Xeons?

Hey Donk, any ideas about this? Anyone else out there running dual Xeons?

Firstly the guest OS can be 32 or 64 bit to run 64-bit guests, so you don't need to do the 64-bit install of Windows. What you need if you want to run 64-bit guests is a VT enabled processor. What is the spec of the Xeon's. Also are they ones that Leopard would support?