VMware Retail Leopard Templates

Donk

393 posts in this topic

Haven't tried yet.

Doesn't work. Latest Fusion has a new setting for Snow Leopard which not available in all other released products (guestos = darwin10-64). Haven't built a Chameleon boot iso yet, but I think there are virtualized hardware changes not present so not sure it will help.

Friend's test system has shown can install and run Leopard in ESXi 4.0. Details will follow in a few days.

Hi Donk,

Any updates on how to get Leopard up on ESX 4? Sorry to be pesky - just excited about the possibilities.

Take care,

Nate

Hi Donk,

Any updates on how to get Leopard up on ESX 4? Sorry to be pesky - just excited about the possibilities.

Take care,

Nate

I have it tested and have taken all the screenshots for a "how to" guide, which is needed to set the guest up correctly. I need to find a little time to put it all together. It also replaces everything that I have done for Workstation and the other products.

I have it tested and have taken all the screenshots for a "how to" guide, which is needed to set the guest up correctly. I need to find a little time to put it all together. It also replaces everything that I have done for Workstation and the other products.

Thanks for the update, Donk. Looking forward to checking it out.

Thanks for the great guide, Donk! I've got iAtkos 5i running in VMWare Workstation with virtually no problems, but I can't get the higher resolutions to work. It always defaults to 1024x768. Manually entering "Graphics Mode"="1600x1050x32" at boot does kind of work, but the max resolution I can get is 1400x900. Editing the com.apple.boot.plist does absolutely nothing, however. Infact, none of the flags in that file seem to do anything because I can completely delete that whole file, and the images boots up just fine. Any suggestions?

Will this enable Snow Leopard, or do we have to wait on VMware for that?

Will this enable Snow Leopard, or do we have to wait on VMware for that?

You will have to wait on VMware for that. Currently I have used the WWDC seed and only works on Fusion as that has proper support built in. There are settings d darwin10 and darwin10-64 to enable it, but these are not in any other shipping product. If there is a hack at some point I will try and incorporate it, but currently it is a no-go.

You will have to wait on VMware for that. Currently I have used the WWDC seed and only works on Fusion as that has proper support built in. There are settings d darwin10 and darwin10-64 to enable it, but these are not in any other shipping product. If there is a hack at some point I will try and incorporate it, but currently it is a no-go.

Okay Thanks.

Thanks for the great guide, Donk! I've got iAtkos 5i running in VMWare Workstation with virtually no problems, but I can't get the higher resolutions to work. It always defaults to 1024x768. Manually entering "Graphics Mode"="1600x1050x32" at boot does kind of work, but the max resolution I can get is 1400x900. Editing the com.apple.boot.plist does absolutely nothing, however. Infact, none of the flags in that file seem to do anything because I can completely delete that whole file, and the images boots up just fine. Any suggestions?

So, I figured out that which resolutions can be enabled (using the ?video command at the boot prompt), and I'm using 1920x1080, which is great. But I still have to enter the graphics mode manually at boot. None of the flags in com.apple.boot.plist are being read -- I tried changing the timeout from 5 to 2, and it's still at 5 seconds. Any help would be much appreciated.

So, I figured out that which resolutions can be enabled (using the ?video command at the boot prompt), and I'm using 1920x1080, which is great. But I still have to enter the graphics mode manually at boot. None of the flags in com.apple.boot.plist are being read -- I tried changing the timeout from 5 to 2, and it's still at 5 seconds. Any help would be much appreciated.

The file name is /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist. Have you got it right with the "B" not "b"?

The file name is /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist. Have you got it right with the "B" not "b"?

I had the right file, just mistyped it in my post. I still can't get it working. It's just weird! I'll try your new template and see if it works better.

I had the right file, just mistyped it in my post. I still can't get it working. It's just weird! I'll try your new template and see if it works better.

It looks like it was an issue with the hacked darwin.iso from the template -- I used the one from your new version, and didn't even have to do anything else, all the flags in the Boot.plist started working immediately.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Doesn't work. Latest Fusion has a new setting for Snow Leopard which not available in all other released products (guestos = darwin10-64). Haven't built a Chameleon boot iso yet, but I think there are virtualized hardware changes not present so not sure it will help.

Latest Vmware Workstation preview (Linux & Windows) has these in the executable. I don't have a suitable Snow Leopard ISO so cannot test.

darwin10-64

darwin10

darwin-64

darwin

Edit: Wow, my first post after three years from joining ;)

Edit: Leopard installation at least started and Vmware didn't complain about darwin10-64.

• 7 months later...

Hello,

Sorry for posting here, I am new and the forum says I don't have the permission to create a new thread (???)

I've got a Core i7 mobile laptop (620M) and I would like to know the current status of OSX virtualization on these processors.

Sadly, I can't start a VM that used to work on my C2D machine; at "Starting Darwin/x86" it crashes with no verbose message, VMWare saying that the CPU has entered shutdown state etc.

Strangely, if I start the VM on the C2D machine, then suspend it and resume it on the i7 machine, it does run well. But it only fails at boot :unsure:

My VMX file:

.encoding = "UTF-8"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
numvcpus = "1"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "768"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental).vmdk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
ethernet0.linkStatePropagation.enable = "FALSE"
usb.present = "TRUE"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
serial0.present = "TRUE"
serial0.fileType = "thinprint"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"
tools.syncTime = "TRUE"
displayName = "Mac OS X 10.6.2 |22Snow Leopard|22"
guestOS = "darwin10-64"
nvram = "Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental).nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
ft.secondary0.enabled = "TRUE"
printers.enabled = "TRUE"
keyboardAndMouseProfile = "macProfile"
tools.upgrade.policy = "upgradeAtPowerCycle"
powerType.powerOff = "soft"
powerType.powerOn = "soft"
powerType.suspend = "soft"
powerType.reset = "soft"

extendedConfigFile = "Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental).vmxf"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "darwin_snow.iso"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
uuid.location = "56 4d 11 c7 6b 3a e6 20-37 d3 bd b8 54 45 2d ca"
uuid.bios = "56 4d 77 72 b8 cd 02 30-4a 3c 6b 3b 09 f8 0d 46"
cleanShutdown = "TRUE"
replay.supported = "TRUE"
replay.filename = ""
scsi0:0.redo = ""
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "16777216"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:f8:0d:46"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
vmci0.id = "167251270"
usb:1.deviceType = "hub"
usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"
mks.enable3d = "FALSE"
svga.vramsize = 16777216
cpuid.coresPerSocket = "1"
ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"
isolation.tools.hgfs.disable = "FALSE"
sharedFolder.maxNum = "1"
sharedFolder0.present = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.enabled = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.readAccess = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.writeAccess = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.hostPath = "C:\Users\Florian\Downloads\A trier"
sharedFolder0.guestName = "A trier"
sharedFolder0.expiration = "never"
isolation.tools.vmdebug.disable = "TRUE"
debugStub.allow = "FALSE"

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"
monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"
#ich7m.present = "TRUE"
#smc.present = "FALSE"
#paevm = "TRUE"
disable_acceleration = "FALSE"
smc.present = "FALSE"
floppy0.present = "FALSE"

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Thank you. I've enabled hardware VT (which includes VT-x on this processor) as well as NX (DEP).

I used a VM that I found somewhere on the net; the name Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental) suggests it is clean and was installed using the same technique as provided in this forum (however I can't do it by myself, I get stuck at "You should eject this CD and insert an OS X disc" when using the .dmg I created from a real Mac, so I downloaded an image instead).

So I don't know what the image I have features as boot options. All I can say is that it seems clean, and I've not added any option by myself besides -v for testing.

why don't you try booting with:

-v busratio=10 cpus=1

and post the results here.

Also if you want to install yourself so you can specify size, partitions, etc...

you need to convert the dmg to iso using some tool like alchohol or ultra iso, it worked for me so I could do a clean install.

hmm thats wierd, did you boot it with the darwin.iso, I don't know how they installed it and if they installed somme patches. Also verify in vmware by clicking the settings of the machine and clicking on the processor that it is using the vt-x mode under preferred mode.

Try booting with the darwin.iso in the drive and making it boot from cd before the hard drive.

What I used to get my snow leopard to work I used these 2 guides:

iATKOS v7 (10.5.7) distro installation in vmware to get leopard installed:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=198448

Then,

SnowKitty (10.6 retail) it uses the leopard installation to install 10.6 on a separate virtual hard drive, requires you to convert the dmg to an iso so you can install from within leopard:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189969

I used both guides and it has worked flawless, I'm running 10.6.2 now and don't even have vt-x in the bios.

Let me know if it works by booting with darwin.iso, if not you might consider doing this and I can help if you run into trouble.

Thanks. In fact I'm using darwin.iso, else it would just say "Operating system not found".

Under the processor settings, I specified Intel VT-x or AMD-V instead of automatic. And I've got only one CPU.

Is your guide "clean"? In fact VMWare shouldn't be able to run OSX without VT-x, so I'm afraid it's maybe doing strange things that could impact stability or performance when VT-x are actually present.