VMware Retail Leopard Templates

Donk

393 posts in this topic

Hello, members!

Anyone have any ideas to shrink .vmdk images?

I installed VMware Tools (from "darwin.iso" extracted by Fusion 2.04),

But cannot find any GUIs .... like Tools for WindowsOS / Linux.

any commands available?

Thanks for the your great templates, Donk.

You can do it from terminal as root or using sudo. If you only have the one virtual disk run the following 2 commands:

1. dd if=/dev/zero of=/zerofile bs=4096k count=100000; sync; sleep 1; sync; rm -f /zerofile

2. /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Tools/vmware-tools-guestd --cmd "disk.shrink"

You can do it from terminal as root or using sudo. If you only have the one virtual disk run the following 2 commands:

1. dd if=/dev/zero of=/zerofile bs=4096k count=100000; sync; sleep 1; sync; rm -f /zerofile

2. /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Tools/vmware-tools-guestd --cmd "disk.shrink"

Hi, Donk

Works fine, and my VMDK images decreased over 20%!!!

I really appreciate you again and again!

Hi D4ftpunk,

Any news on your app for VMWare templates?

Really looking forward to it, having trouble getting them to work on my OSX.

I hope you can release it soon

All the best

NSCXP2005

Hi D4ftpunk,

Any news on your app for VMWare templates?

Really looking forward to it, having trouble getting them to work on my OSX.

I hope you can release it soon

All the best

NSCXP2005

What problems you having?

I am having problems signing the files needed for OSX, The error message I get is:

cp: tools-key.pub: No such file or directory

VMWare Fusion is installed in the default location \Applications.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

All the best

NSCXP2005

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Donk,

Any ideas how to solve the problems I am having?

@D4ftpunk,

Any news on your app for Donk's VMWare templates?

All the best

NSCXP2005

I had a similar problem on windows, a fresh download and unzip of the templates fixed it.

Also, to all you 64bit windows users out there, you have to edit the signiso.cmd file to say \Program Files (x86)\ instead of \Program Files\, at least on windows 7

I had a similar problem on windows, a fresh download and unzip of the templates fixed it.

Also, to all you 64bit windows users out there, you have to edit the signiso.cmd file to say \Program Files (x86)\ instead of \Program Files\, at least on windows 7

Ooops fixed all that ages ago. I will sort them out and upload, provided I don't get any more bloody "Database errors". This place is getting a bit fragile, so I think I am going to put on my web site when I get it up and running again.

Ooops fixed all that ages ago. I will sort them out and upload, provided I don't get any more bloody "Database errors". This place is getting a bit fragile, so I think I am going to put on my web site when I get it up and running again.

So I have uploaded a new version, which I had forgotten about, which fixes various things:

1. Modified signiso.cmd to work on x64 and non-English Windows versions.

2. Fixed path to VMware Fusion ISO images.

3. Fixed templates to be Linux/Mac OS X friendly by fixing case of file names.

4. Only backs up darwin.iso now to save disk space.

I did all this earlier this year but didn't get around to releasing it. Anyway before I post this on the front page would appreciate some feedback on whether the changes are OK. I have tested them but as always there may be hidden bugs I didn't catch.

Files can be found here http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=b4dc049...04e75f6e8ebb871

This is the last version to work like this. I have been successful in rebuilding the VMware version of the CD, which allows the user to create their own virtual disks at any size. It also works with ESXi 4.0.

What is up with all the database errors? Additionally, will this new method enable the use of the voodoo kernel for installation?

Thanks

What is up with all the database errors? Additionally, will this new method enable the use of the voodoo kernel for installation?

Thanks

The forum software here has been throwing up these errors for the last few weeks, and you can't view posts. Last weekend it was creating posts with zero content. The site seems to be suffering from a lack of attention by the owners.

As for the voodoo approach, you could if you modified the CD, but truthfully you may be better of with a different distro if you want to use a non-supported CPU. I will see what I can do, but I am concerned that we will be swamped with questions about using voodoo kernel, and I would like to keep this simple. Maybe a sepaarte thread for those who try voodoo out.

The forum software here has been throwing up these errors for the last few weeks, and you can't view posts. Last weekend it was creating posts with zero content. The site seems to be suffering from a lack of attention by the owners.

As for the voodoo approach, you could if you modified the CD, but truthfully you may be better of with a different distro if you want to use a non-supported CPU. I will see what I can do, but I am concerned that we will be swamped with questions about using voodoo kernel, and I would like to keep this simple. Maybe a sepaarte thread for those who try voodoo out.

Sounds great! quick question, will use of the voodoo kernel necessitate intel vt-x or similiar on AMD, or will a hacked install DVD boot fine on a "unsupported" system using these templates?

Thanks a bunch!

Sounds great! quick question, will use of the voodoo kernel necessitate intel vt-x or similiar on AMD, or will a hacked install DVD boot fine on a "unsupported" system using these templates?

Thanks a bunch!

Vooodoo kernel still requires VT-x from the tests I have done in the past. Haven't ever got AMD, voodoo and VMware working, although only have an AMD Sempron-64 bit machine, and my guess is you would require AMD CPU to have SVM extensions.

After updating to 10.5.7, I get a kernel stack fault every time I try to boot. It seems like it might be happening right when trying to switch graphics modes; it is instantaneous once the window resizes.

*** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ***
The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode

Using the current VMWare Workstation 6.5.2 on Windows 7 RC. It ran well under 10.5.6. I rebooted using -v -f -x after installing the update. It's running on a Core i7.

After updating to 10.5.7, I get a kernel stack fault every time I try to boot. It seems like it might be happening right when trying to switch graphics modes; it is instantaneous once the window resizes.

*** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ***
  The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode

Using the current VMWare Workstation 6.5.2 on Windows 7 RC. It ran well under 10.5.6. I rebooted using -v -f -x after installing the update. It's running on a Core i7.

Same here. Fresh installation of 10.5.1 from retail, added the AC97 kext, but those are the only changes I've made. I've found some other update fixes/guides but they don't seem to apply or work, yet I've read of folks running 10.5.7 without issue.

Anyone spare a clue?

Same here. Fresh installation of 10.5.1 from retail, added the AC97 kext, but those are the only changes I've made. I've found some other update fixes/guides but they don't seem to apply or work, yet I've read of folks running 10.5.7 without issue.

Anyone spare a clue?

Do you also have a Core i7 processor? Seems that that particular range of CPUs causes problems. I think I saw a new kernel for i7 on the forums, but can't find it at the moment.

UPDATE: Found it here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=162100.

Friend's test system has shown can install and run Leopard in ESXi 4.0. Details will follow in a few days.

I am a new bie. Just installed retail version of Leopard in VM workstation 6.5.2 . I have three problems.

1. The Keyboard does not work/very slow and some times characters typed do not match with the keys pressed on key board

2. After a minute of booting it says that CPU has locked the system and press the power down button

3. How to increase the display settings to show 1600x1200 resolution.

I have i7 processor and using vmdonk.iso

I am a new bie. Just installed retail version of Leopard in VM workstation 6.5.2 . I have three problems.

1. The Keyboard does not work/very slow and some times characters typed do not match with the keys pressed on key board

2. After a minute of booting it says that CPU has locked the system and press the power down button

Update: Amendment to item 2. It says " The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. You will need to power off or reset the virtual machine at this point"

1. Install VoodooPS2Controller kext and then add the following line to VMX file for guest:

keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE"

2. Seems to be a common problem on i7 processor. No answer currently.

3. Edit com.apple.Boot.plist to add resolution. Search the web as plenty of how-tos.

Hi Donk,

Do you know if OSX 10.5.6 Retail can cen installed on VMWare Fusion running on a NC10 netbook, CPU Intel atom?

If yes, how do I get it to work?

All the best

NSCXP2005

Sorry not possible. Fusion needs VT-x extensions for Mac OS X in both 32-bit and 64-bit guest installs.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Donk, I posted in the wrong thread. This is the version I am using, with the 32-bit template.

Original Post:

I have been having trouble setting up Mac OS X "Leopard" 10.5.6 on my VMware Workstation 6.5 using Darwin x32 (Operating System: Ubuntu "Hardy Heron" 8.04). There were initial problems beforehand:

It did not recognize it as "Mac OS X Server", so I had to manually disable the check using this guide.

But now I have a problem that just puzzles me. Whenever I attempt to boot it without parameters it stops at the gray boot-up screen with a loading circle. And when I try to boot with the flags "-x -f -v -legacy", it boots until it starts experiencing errors, like in the picture attached until the whole install just hangs. Does anyone know what may be causing this?

post-443056-1245081740_thumb.png

Sorry Donk, I posted in the wrong thread. This is the version I am using, with the 32-bit template.

Original Post:

I have been having trouble setting up Mac OS X "Leopard" 10.5.6 on my VMware Workstation 6.5 using Darwin x32 (Operating System: Ubuntu "Hardy Heron" 8.04). There were initial problems beforehand:

It did not recognize it as "Mac OS X Server", so I had to manually disable the check using this guide.

But now I have a problem that just puzzles me. Whenever I attempt to boot it without parameters it stops at the gray boot-up screen with a loading circle. And when I try to boot with the flags "-x -f -v -legacy", it boots until it starts experiencing errors, like in the picture attached until the whole install just hangs. Does anyone know what may be causing this?

1. You should not need to disable Server check it is already done in the templates.

2. Have you copied the correct darwin.iso using the installaiton script?

3. What is your CPU? Needs to be VT-x enabled even for 32-bit, due to the code paths inside VMware.