Gigabyte's Nvidia 9400 powered M-ATX MOBO

stellarola

643 posts in this topic

.. (the northbridge heatsink runs up to 64 degree C)

The northbridge temperature is 58 degree C.

I'd still (even just as a test) stick a fan on the MCP Heatsink.

Use a case fan if you don't have a spare.

Those temps are a bit toasty.

I'm running 8Gig still with no issues.

Questions for Diabolik and Signal64:

What build numbers are your installs? Did you install from restore disks or from a system clone?

I have been using the same build number that is listed for the October 2008 MBP's. I can only assume that this is the correct version. I wish I knew the secret to these things, but I cannot seem to get to where you guys are as far as stability.

Did you run the memtest that mrosxn00b provided several pages back? It snows my system with 4gigs but runs fine with only 2. I would be ecstatic to know if it is something that I am doing wrong, but I am not sure what it is.

Questions for Diabolik and Signal64:

What build numbers are your installs? Did you install from restore disks or from a system clone?

I have been using the same build number that is listed for the October 2008 MBP's. I can only assume that this is the correct version. I wish I knew the secret to these things, but I cannot seem to get to where you guys are as far as stability.

Did you run the memtest that mrosxn00b provided several pages back? It snows my system with 4gigs but runs fine with only 2. I would be ecstatic to know if it is something that I am doing wrong, but I am not sure what it is.

I experienced exactly the same issue as netcastle. I have tried both Corsair and Kingston memory from 2G to 8G. The system runs perfectly with any 2G RAM. Once installing more than 2G, however, the problem appears for either Corsair or Kingston RAM. I don't think it is a gfx issue, but a memory issue.

A fan is added to north-bridge and temperature is always blow 30'C. The instability issue is still the same when using 4G. System hangs when doing large file extraction.

Could it be the problem of Jmicron ATA? I found that there are issues on Jmicron and 4Gig ram in previous discussion? I am using a ATA dvd. Will try to disable it and see what would happen.

Another discussion posted a solution by using less memory by maxmem=3328. Or in com.apple.Boot.plist, add

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>maxmem=3328</string>

I will try it when I have time. netcastle may try to see if it works.

AppleVIAATA over 4gb RAM bug solved http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127611

The resulting 10.5.5 restore from my new model aluminum unibody macbook restore dvd is 9F2088 (edit: yes, I installed and verified this time).

To be on the safe side (since I don't know how the dmg you guys have was made) get an md5 of the files itself on the dvd.

Mount the image, open terminal, sudo -s and..

bash-3.2# cd /volumes/"Mac OS X Install DVD"
bash-3.2# tar c . | md5

Let it chew on that for a bit.

Assuming it's like mine it should return: efeec627cb71572b181d26239b39e664

Nothing much has changed on my builds since this post.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=993769

And I am using the restore disc method that DiabloiK's post shows here as well:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=994765

It's a very basic and no frills way to install and I recommend folks try to boot the restore DVD (mac required of course) and use that to restore to another drive before heading off in another direction. Don't use other utils (ala Pacifist or PCWIZ installer) to make an image. Do not apply the 10.5.6 update either (you can do that just fine after your up and running). Resist the tempation to modify anything for now.

The ONLY modification I would make to the restore disc is to remove the model check if you don't have another new model unibody macbook. Replace the OSInstall.mpkg with the attached one here.

Diabolik and I have not experienced any of the issues being reported and I have been running both the ASUS and Gigabyte for over a month.

I should have something new for you guys to try in another day or so.

OSInstall.mpkg.zip

The resulting 10.5.5 restore from the new alu unibody macbook restore dvd is 9F2114.

Assuming it's an unmodified original it should return: efeec627cb71572b181d26239b39e664

I get that same build number but the checksum is c10f31d1a71bc62090e9c6c9b4f4523a.

Ah! Where to go from here? Thanks for your help.

For those in the UK interested in buying this GA-E7AUM-DS2H board, it can be found most places under £120 -

Here

and

Here

and

Here

Nowhere near as cheap as the Atom powered D945GCLF2 board I just ordered for fun (£74 delivered!) but much better performance. I would love to see real-world benchmarks and 'bang-for-buck' and usability comparisons between them though.

I'm going to buy that motherboard tomorrow and after read the entire post, I have one remaining question: VGA + DVI works at the same time (no-mirrored, every screen with his native resolution)?

Sorry for my bad english, I'm spanish, and thanks all of you for your help!!

I'm going to buy that motherboard tomorrow and after read the entire post, I have one remaining question: VGA + DVI works at the same time (no-mirrored, every screen with his native resolution)?

Sorry for my bad english, I'm spanish, and thanks all of you for your help!!

Yes. I have it running at different resolutions on vga+hdmi right now. I'm not using diaboliks NVCAP posted earlier though. I think that one is for dual dvi output. That is supported on the asus but not on the gigabyte board. I will check my nvcap and edit this post at a later date, I cant check it right now. If not someone else will post it before me.. ;)

Signal64 and netcastle. I cant remember but I think my build ended with: 2088

My MPB-restore dvd md5 is: f50ceb55f1a54c7b35ad9bfad19c3c32

EDIT> Sorry forgot to post. Here are the strings that I am using (E7AUM) atm. I can run vga + hdmi w or w/o mirroring... Anyone else have a nvcap to share?

04000000 00000100 02000000 00000007 00000000

That is>

BAAAAAAAAQACAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=

EDIT2- Seems to have issues with mirroring. Dual works like a charm though.

Signal64 and netcastle. I cant remember but I think my build ended with: 2088
Edit: Shoot me now, go ahead, I really deserve it - mine is 9f2088

Here's the build numbers page I was looking for:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159

It could be that the Macbook Pros vs the 13" (like I have) have different DVD's.

Be nice to confirm the md5 from another real one.

Also, make sure you cd into the directory and not replace the . on the tar command.

For the extensions folder I get:

bash-3.2# cd /volumes/"Mac OS X Install DVD"/system/library/extensions
bash-3.2# tar c . | md5
4d4585128dbd31236d8de9c9d5c2edca

I'm downloading the restore dvd image out on the net to see what the differences are.

I had been reading this post daily for the last 2 weeks and thank you all for sharing the experience! I hope my experience will be helpful to someone.

I built a hackintosh with Intel atom 330 board. (see [Guide]Intel D945GCLF2 10.5.x Retail Installation, Drivers and Guide v2.5) under Tutorials (Genious Bar) of this forum. I removed the hd from intel board and put in the Gigabyte Nvidia 9400 board and it simply booted to leopard with fixed video resolution. After installing NVkush with OsX86 tools and repairing permissions, now I have hardware support for core image and quartz extreme support.

Few details: Bios - no changes made. On boot up selected AHCI.

hard drive - sata. was working in intel atom board. updated to 10.5.6

audio not working yet.

ethernet - working ( I am using the new computer to post this message!)

processor identified correctly but not the correct amount of memory.

firewire recognised - not tested.

SATA - Vendor: Unknown

Product: AHCI Standard Controller

Speed: 3 Gigabit

Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

For the extensions folder I get:

bash-3.2# cd /volumes/"Mac OS X Install DVD"/system/library/extensions
  bash-3.2# tar c . | md5

bash-3.2# tar c . | md5

Hey, its a match.. :unsure:

Does your system report a macbook or MBP5,1 as mine does? A guess out of my league but could this affect how the system handles different aspects of the system?

That's probably the best way to verify things. Are you getting the NoPE version?

yep.. should be there when I get home tonight.

Also worked through an install with someone on IRC last night using the NoPE version.

We'll see how that goes when they put in 4Gigs.

Also worked through an install with someone on IRC last night using the NoPE version.

I look forward to hearing how this all works out -- I'm downloading the NOPE release as well (My MPB 17" isn't a unibody, so I'm guessing my DVD's won't work) and my mobo (GA-E7AUM-DS2H) should be here in 2 days..

Really, really hoping this all works out as it should make an awesome OS X HTPC....Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread!

::::EDIT::::: One of my buddies got a new MPB unibody yesterday! so I should have access to his restore disc if need be -whoo hoo

With respect to the RAM issue, has anyone tried RAM off giga's compatibility list for this board? I bought 2x2G Crucial sticks but one of them got hosed while running Vista the first day I ran this machine.

I may be in a position to knuckle up and switch brands and pick up 4G, wanted to know if any had been tried from the list. If not, I'll probably go that route.

With respect to graphics, I turned on the Robust Graphics option in the BIOS and everything seems to run just fine, with a drastic improvement in how streaming HD looks. No more odd interlacing and fast action moves smoothly.

Cheers,

-Z

With respect to the RAM issue, has anyone tried RAM off giga's compatibility list for this board? I bought 2x2G Crucial sticks but one of them got hosed while running Vista the first day I ran this machine.

I may be in a position to knuckle up and switch brands and pick up 4G, wanted to know if any had been tried from the list. If not, I'll probably go that route.

With respect to graphics, I turned on the Robust Graphics option in the BIOS and everything seems to run just fine, with a drastic improvement in how streaming HD looks. No more odd interlacing and fast action moves smoothly.

Cheers,

-Z

Good info. I will try the BIOS option. As far as RAM goes, the issue has been brought up before. The wildcard for me is the 4G stick. I would buy one right away if I knew this shared memory issue was no longer a problem. My 2 x 2G configuration ran fine in Vista. I believe that this is a problem related to not having the appropriate install (I hope this is the case anyway). Which install are you using?

Signal64 have you done any testing with this distro? I hope to be installing today, so if not, maybe I'll stumble across something useful... although, my Kung Fu is not yet strong in the ways of commodity hardware...

Only thing I think I need to do is modify the OSInstall.mpkg so it doesn't refuse to install on my hardware. (I've done this before on real Macs, but need to read up on it again...)

Good info. I will try the BIOS option. As far as RAM goes, the issue has been brought up before. The wildcard for me is the 4G stick. I would buy one right away if I knew this shared memory issue was no longer a problem. My 2 x 2G configuration ran fine in Vista. I believe that this is a problem related to not having the appropriate install (I hope this is the case anyway). Which install are you using?

I am the one Signal64 helped with the alleged backup disk- the one floating around in the usual places. Unusually, System Profiler shows my build the same as his...odd.

-Z

I'm up and running with 4 gigs of RAM, a E8400 processor and CI and QE supported (NVkush currently) using DVI port at the moment.::::

::::EDIT::::

• Install method:
  • Started from my working P5W setup
  • Hooked up new build's drive via USB dongle, formatted the new build's drive, GUID, 3 partitions - 2 for testing, 1 for storage incase it works!
  • Obtained "Nope" MBP unibody distro from usual places (my MPB is not unibody), Cloned distro to another external HD with Carbon Copy Cloner (Saves burning and re-burning Dual Layer DVDs if something doesn't work) Modified OSInstall.mpkg to skip model and bios revison checks.
  • Ran OSInstall.mpkg off of the external HD that I cloned it to and installed OS X 10.5.5
  • Installed Chamelon/EFI with Universal OSX installer (OneSeXytool), installed their "MOBO" package of kexts as well.
  • Installed NVKush
  • Repaired permissions of /System/Library/Extensions via terminal (or could use OSX86tools)
  • Installed Signal64's DSDT.aml posted earlier in this thread
  • Fired it up -- it booted!

::::/EDIT::::

Issues are:

• I have no output devices showing up in the Sound control panel, but have Intel High Definition Audio:Device ID: 0x1458A102 in system profiler
  • My hard drive has the orange icons (assuming because I have AHCI turned on).
  • Network works, sleep works, wake works -- but ethernet goes to self-assigned as described earlier in post.
  • I'm currently at 10.5.5. System seems to hang for about a half-second here and there. Espsecially in Front Row, and after you've launched and quit Front Row.
  • Decent progress for my first go-round with this system, but not ready for prime time...
  • Tried to make my own DSDT.aml file and DSDT patcher fails to produce anything on my system.

Tired now... going to sleep :rolleyes:

I'm up and running with 4 gigs of RAM, a E8400 processor and CI and QE supported (NVkush currently) using DVI port at the moment.

Issues are:

• I have no output devices showing up in the Sound control panel, but have Intel High Definition Audio:Device ID: 0x1458A102 in system profiler
  • Network works, sleep works, wake works -- but ethernet goes to self-assigned as described earlier in post.
  • I'm currently at 10.5.5. System seems to hang for about a half-second here and there. Espsecially in Front Row, and after you've launched and quit Front Row.
  • Decent progress for my first go-round with this system, but not ready for prime time...
  • Tried to make my own DSDT.aml file and DSDT patcher fails to produce anything on my system.

Tired now... going to sleep :)

A couple of pages back someone posted the kexts to get gigabit ethernet working properly and get the hard drives to show up correctly in the finder and the profiler. Using Signal64's DSDT (post #76 of this thread) seems to work okay for me. What install are you using and have you run memtest to see if your system snows?

Sound has been a problem for all of us.

using 9F2088

This is the build I am using. I was mistaken a few posts ago.

netcastle:

Yeah, I extracted the 1.2 update with pacifist and copied all the stuff over. In fact, the install dvd I used had a System Verson of 9F2088, and installing this got me 9F2114. Out of interest, what System Version did your install dvd yield? (this question is to anyone doing this stuff from a dvd/dvd image)

Just an interesting tidbit. He is talking about the MBP update posted by Apple last october. Reading through the thread I did not get much indication that this update did him much good.

zchef2k,

Can you run the checksum test that Signal64 suggested on page 12 and see what that gives you? I wonder if it tis the same as mine (I assume that you and I have the same version). I wonder if this is a case of forcing the OS to think it is installing on an MBP rather than a hack. I also wonder if this version is in some small way corrupted.

I'm up and running with 4 gigs of RAM, a E8400 processor and CI and QE supported (NVkush currently) using DVI port at the moment.

Issues are:

Tired now... going to sleep :D

I reinstalled natit.kext rebooted and suddenly sound devices was there, no idea if and why this worked.....