Retail DVD 10.5.6 install for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

lensboard

410 posts in this topic

hi guys i ve installed leopard on my new system yesterday. It works but i have some problems.

1- I couldn't get 5.1 work. I want to use 3 out (L-R front, L-R back, Center and Subwoofer) I have only Stereo Speaker and Microphone out right now.

2- Mac doesnt recognize my CPU it says 3GHz Unknown but in istat 2 cores shown up. And there is no temperature information

3- My GPU says ¨Graphics by NVIDIA¨ in System Profiler but OpenGL Extension Viewer says NVidia 9800GT

any help would be appreciated...

My System: EP45-DS3L Mainboard, Zotac 9800GT 512MB GPU, Intel C2D 3.0GHz E8400 CPU, installed Mac OS X via iAtkos 5i 10.5.5

hi guys i ve installed leopard on my new system yesterday. It works but i have some problems.

1- I couldn't get 5.1 work. I want to use 3 out (L-R front, L-R back, Center and Subwoofer) I have only Stereo Speaker and Microphone out right now.

2- Mac doesnt recognize my CPU it says 3GHz Unknown but in istat 2 cores shown up. And there is no temperature information

3- My GPU says ¨Graphics by NVIDIA¨ in System Profiler but OpenGL Extension Viewer says NVidia 9800GT

any help would be appreciated...

My System: EP45-DS3L Mainboard, Zotac 9800GT 512MB GPU, Intel C2D 3.0GHz E8400 CPU, installed Mac OS X via iAtkos 5i 10.5.5

The sound on this board has problems with surround, you'll need to find a solution on your own...sorry

It is normal that the CPU shows unknown

Dont see a problem with your video question... am I missing something?

The sound on this board has problems with surround, you'll need to find a solution on your own...sorry

It is normal that the CPU shows unknown

Dont see a problem with your video question... am I missing something?

well i found this link and tried but surround didnt work unfortunately :D

In system profiler GPU doesnt show up properly and i thought this might decrease performance but i guess everything works properly(it says Generic Nvidia instead of Nvidia 9800 GT)

About CPU info, i ve fixed that via osX86 Tool...

I had a detailed discussion with Dr. Marcel Bresink the designer of Temperature Monitor and Hardware Monitor. The E8400 that you are using is a 45nm architecture CPU. Intel changed the temperature sensors on the CPU die on the new 45nm processors and they no longer report linear temperature measurements. Instead they report only "normal", "hot", and "critical". If you can find a copy of TM 4.1 it will show temperatures, but they will be wrong. It reads the raw values from the DTS core sensors. These values are wrong for the Intel E8400 because it uses a model-specific temperature offset of 71.4°C ("critical") instead of the fixed value of 100°C used in previous generations of Intel desktop processors. That I am aware of all the Windoze sensors (CPU-Z etc.) also report the wrong data based on this new N.H.C. temperature reference.

Temp Monitor will however show your correct processor data, including family, and asset tags if you care.

From a hardware standpoint I believe I'm pretty close to the profile:

motherboard: ga-ep45-ds3l

e4600: CPU

LG GH22ls30: DVD burner

WD7k32m sata2: harddrive

WD3200KSRTLSata2: harddrive

2Gx2 cors twin2x4096: ram

Palit NE/860ts: Vidio card

netgear GA311: ethernet adapter

I've installed Vista 64 bit and everything is working well but I would like to set up a dual boot with Leopard (I've purchased 10.5.4).

However, when I change my Bios settings to ACHI & SATA port 0-3 enabled, Vista crashes. Does this mean, I've got something set wrong in the bios, or that I need to change the Bios settings when booting Vista vs. Leopard (if I ever get it installed)?

From a hardware standpoint I believe I'm pretty close to the profile:

motherboard: ga-ep45-ds3l

e4600: CPU

LG GH22ls30: DVD burner

WD7k32m sata2: harddrive

WD3200KSRTLSata2: harddrive

2Gx2 cors twin2x4096: ram

Palit NE/860ts: Vidio card

netgear GA311: ethernet adapter

I've installed Vista 64 bit and everything is working well but I would like to set up a dual boot with Leopard (I've purchased 10.5.4).

However, when I change my Bios settings to ACHI & SATA port 0-3 enabled, Vista crashes. Does this mean, I've got something set wrong in the bios, or that I need to change the Bios settings when booting Vista vs. Leopard (if I ever get it installed)?

You need drivers for vista to run ahci. I just turn it off to run vista. You can save bios settings for easy dual booting. That is what I do.

You need drivers for vista to run ahci. I just turn it off to run vista. You can save bios settings for easy dual booting. That is what I do.

Thanks. I'm now one small step closer. Next question, my second hard drive (intended for MacOS) I have the option of formatting with MBR or GUID. Which should I select?

Thanks lensboard, my head is swimming from everything I read and probably being too cautious! Mac is a foreign language but I'm trying and really do appreciate the help!

You should really consider just getting a MacMini. Owning and operating a hackintosh requires a lot of patience and the willingness to put up with problems with every update from apple. If this is your first mac experience then you may be very frustrated all the time. If you like this and enjoy installing your os over and over then forget what I just said.

Thanks a lot for the turorial. I have now successfully installed 10.5.6 on my new EP45-DS3L mobo. I also have the same problem when entering sleep mode. In S3 sleep mode, the computer reboots, but in S1 sleep mode, nothing really happens. I also hope to find a solution to this problem. In any case: thanks for the hard work.

Thanks a lot for the turorial. I have now successfully installed 10.5.6 on my new EP45-DS3L mobo. I also have the same problem when entering sleep mode. In S3 sleep mode, the computer reboots, but in S1 sleep mode, nothing really happens. I also hope to find a solution to this problem. In any case: thanks for the hard work.

You are welcome. Have fun.

Im running 10.5.5 on the Ep45-DS3l and i updated to 10.5.6 before and downgraded because sleep mode would not work and there were many glitches in the video (EVGA GeForce 8600 GT).

I Might upgrade again if somebody would test if this makes sleep work

http://www.mediafire.com/?mkigynnkyjy

i was using efi strings last time if i use NVKush would the graphic glitches stop

Some of the graphics glitches were:

if a moved itunes to the second screen the it would turn white

if i moved the mouse to get display out of sleep the screen would be fuzzy like a tv with no signal

various smaller issues

Im running 10.5.5 on the Ep45-DS3l and i updated to 10.5.6 before and downgraded because sleep mode would not work and there were many glitches in the video (EVGA GeForce 8600 GT).

I Might upgrade again if somebody would test if this makes sleep work

http://www.mediafire.com/?mkigynnkyjy

i was using efi strings last time if i use NVKush would the graphic glitches stop

Some of the graphics glitches were:

if a moved itunes to the second screen the it would turn white

if i moved the mouse to get display out of sleep the screen would be fuzzy like a tv with no signal

various smaller issues

sounds like you had a bad string for your video card, have you tried any other strings?

Have you tried the string from the Uinstaller in the 10.5.6 package?

sounds like you had a bad string for your video card, have you tried any other strings?

Have you tried the string from the Uinstaller in the 10.5.6 package?

also, you need 10.5.6 for the new iLife/iWork suites... FYI

You dont need 10.5.6 for iwork 09 just change the "SystemVersion.plist" in the CoreServices folder from 10.5.5 > 10.5.6

I Have not used a different string if i update i will

You are correct, but I prefer to run as close to the real Mac experience as possible. I have been a Mac user for years, and the only reason I support this forum is I want to push apple to build a box for $1000 +/- that can be customized like a PC can be. I just sold my 2 year old MacPro for $2000, and that is more than double what it cost me to build my own Mac, and I paid $3000 new for it. If the prices were reasonable I would have never built my Hack, and I don't want an all in one iMac either.

In advance, I've never owned a mac but I'm fairly computer literate and have installed a few linux's. I just got my ep45 ds3l from newegg and the rest of my components come tomorrow so I'm trying to figure out in advance what needs to be done.

I planned on dualbooting vista(or windows 7) and osx, however in your guide it says I should have two osx installs. -> Can I do all this with one hard drive?

Correct me if i'm wrong: your guide says to first download and install kallaway then use that to install retail/vanilla. So I need to have both install dvd's?

I saw boot123 mentioned on this forum before, would that allow me to only use one hard drive (and in general be simpler?)?

thanks in advance.

In advance, I've never owned a mac but I'm fairly computer literate and have installed a few linux's. I just got my ep45 ds3l from newegg and the rest of my components come tomorrow so I'm trying to figure out in advance what needs to be done.

I planned on dualbooting vista(or windows 7) and osx, however in your guide it says I should have two osx installs. -> Can I do all this with one hard drive?

Correct me if i'm wrong: your guide says to first download and install kallaway then use that to install retail/vanilla. So I need to have both install dvd's?

I saw boot123 mentioned on this forum before, would that allow me to only use one hard drive (and in general be simpler?)?

thanks in advance.

one hard drive is possible, but not supported here, research a bit. Multiple hard drives is so much easier to manage.

yes, you need both install DVD's

I tried for many hours last night trying to get vanilla installed. Currently I have iAtkos 5i installed and it works fine, but I want to go vanilla. I followed the guide but couldn't actually boot up into the vanilla installation. My test install is on a 160gb IDE drive and my vanilla is on a 750gb sata. Does this matter? Do I need ahci enabled?

I tried for many hours last night trying to get vanilla installed. Currently I have iAtkos 5i installed and it works fine, but I want to go vanilla. I followed the guide but couldn't actually boot up into the vanilla installation. My test install is on a 160gb IDE drive and my vanilla is on a 750gb sata. Does this matter? Do I need ahci enabled?

Check the photos of the bios screens first.

Thank you so much for this info...has been a big help! Would you see a difference in using the EP43-DS3L instead of the EP45? I don't think there are very many differences in the hard-ware and the EP43 is clearanced out right now which makes it a really good buy for me?

Thank you so much for this info...has been a big help! Would you see a difference in using the EP43-DS3L instead of the EP45? I don't think there are very many differences in the hard-ware and the EP43 is clearanced out right now which makes it a really good buy for me?

There are probably some differences. Try and search this site for that exact board or check the wiki under the hardware list.