Retail DVD 10.5.6 install for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

lensboard

410 posts in this topic

lensboard,

I've resorted to a full reformat and reinstall. Where can I download the "new Chameleon"? I see its embedded within the new OSX86 Installer but I can't find it as a standalone?

Going to re-do with your guide. Hoping to use the 10.5.6 Combo Update rather than the 10.5.5. Want to be sure to use Chameleon 1.0.12 if that is required. Then Migrate from the Time Machine backup all documents and settings. Not sure if I have to reinstall all applications or not but at least I'll have the data.

Following this guide to-the-letter I come up with the same problem as during short-cutting based on previous knowledge.

Don't really know what your problem is. Check all settings, bios, use two hard drives, make sure to run chameleon on correct drive. Sorry cant be of more help.

lensboard,

I've resorted to a full reformat and reinstall. Where can I download the "new Chameleon"? I see its embedded within the new OSX86 Installer but I can't find it as a standalone?

Going to re-do with your guide. Hoping to use the 10.5.6 Combo Update rather than the 10.5.5. Want to be sure to use Chameleon 1.0.12 if that is required. Then Migrate from the Time Machine backup all documents and settings. Not sure if I have to reinstall all applications or not but at least I'll have the data.

I dont remember where I found it, try google. Sorry.

I am not sure what the big hurry is in updating....? Don't you have a good running system now? I havent updated, and may not unless there is some compelling update.

I cannot verify my OSX 10.5 install image as full retail. Got it from a.b.mac. Which has become a spam heavy newsgroup. I may need to actually purchase to verify if this is the problem. Installing a unit specific (iMac, MacPro, etc..) OSX 10.5 would cause a report

"Unable to verify BSD"

Anyone know where to test drive a retail install? Piratebay and Minova are conspicuously void of 10.5.

I've been so happy with my G5 DP 2.0 and 10.4 that I only wanted to see if Intel processor was worth actually buying. A basic MacPro is in the future. But many of my favorite things don't run on Rosetta.

I don't have a running system now. The 10.5.6 update froze on install through the process and sequence I dexcribed, and I crashed and burned.

Since I am reinstalling I figured I'd go for the 10.5.6 and get it over with. No real compelling reason other than I want to solve the issue.

I don't have a running system now. The 10.5.6 update froze on install through the process and sequence I dexcribed, and I crashed and burned.

Since I am reinstalling I figured I'd go for the 10.5.6 and get it over with. No real compelling reason other than I want to solve the issue.

I truly dont remember where I got the new one. I no longer have it. I deleted it in error.

Always test a new install on an extra disk you can live with crashing.

I cannot verify my OSX 10.5 install image as full retail. Got it from a.b.mac. Which has become a spam heavy newsgroup. I may need to actually purchase to verify if this is the problem. Installing a unit specific (iMac, MacPro, etc..) OSX 10.5 would cause a report

"Unable to verify BSD"

Anyone know where to test drive a retail install? Piratebay and Minova are conspicuously void of 10.5.

I've been so happy with my G5 DP 2.0 and 10.4 that I only wanted to see if Intel processor was worth actually buying. A basic MacPro is in the future. But many of my favorite things don't run on Rosetta.

Your local Best Buy has the DVD for sale.

lensboard,

http://######.com/weaksauce12/?p=309

lensboard, thank you for the link. I had used the one within the DSDT tool from pcwiz.

All is good. The guide worked perfectly. I spent a while getting back to where I was but fortunately the Time Machine backup was able to restore everything which saved a bunch of time. I did run into the Time Machine backup has the same name as your current account issue since I didn't do the migration during the install process but after I created the same account.

I too am having the computer completely shut down with sleep. No big deal for me either but if there is a fix I will install it later.

Thanks again for all of the time and energy you spent on this.

* Edit I: I was able to get the IDE drive recognized by enabling "Onboard IDE controller". You can see that option in this image I'm not totally sure what this (if anything) will do to the tutorial, but I'll be posting more here as I fight with installing Vista.

** Edit II: Well, I had to unplug both of my SATA drives, because when I tried to install Vista on the IDE drive it would give me the "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation" error, even though I know it was formatted correctly. So, I'm installing vista now and I'll post with new updates here.

*** Edit III: Have Vista installed and running now. Just doing some driver updates and all that. Hope to use EasyBCD to get it running easily for both OS's. Any issues/successes will be posted.

Let me first say lensboard, this guide is a Godsend. I went through some issues with it, but it all worked out in the end and I learned a lot. So, thanks for putting this together.

Now that I have a working system, of course I want more, and here's what I want to do: I want to install windows xp (or vista, have discs for both) on a separate IDE hard drive.

The problem with this is that my IDE drive is not showing up after following your guide. I know that this drive is in fine condition, because I have installed other methods of 10.5.5 and I was able to see it's contents and move them to other drives.

I've done a lot of research on this issue, but I haven't found any answers. Do you have any idea what may be causing my mobo not to recognize my IDE HDD? (I've done all the obvious stuff like make sure it was getting power, swap cords, and all that. One other weird thing, is that my bios isn't recognizing the drive when I start it up (at least from what I can tell)).

Your help is GREATLY appreciated here. Have a great day ;)

My System for Reference:

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L

Video Card: GeForce 8800GT 512MB

CPU: Intel 2 Quad Q6600

RAM: CORSAIR 4G (2 x 2G) x2

HDD: Seagate Barracude 7200.11 500GB x2 + 80GB WD IDE

DVD: LITE-ON 20x DVD+/-R

PS: Rosewill 600W

Try installing Vista first on the IDE HDD, then install OSX on the SATA drive later

This is what I did (same mobo)

post-340518-1230221806_thumb.png

Using a "Borrowed" copy of OSX from a usenet group.

Then I repeated with a retail copy of 10.5.4. Purchased at MicroCenter.

post-340518-1230221838_thumb.png

great, the reason why I use a real retail disk is because you cannot trust anything else....kalyway included. Never know what is really on the disk. Probably safe, but who really knows for sure.

lensboard, thank you for the link. I had used the one within the DSDT tool from pcwiz.

All is good. The guide worked perfectly. I spent a while getting back to where I was but fortunately the Time Machine backup was able to restore everything which saved a bunch of time. I did run into the Time Machine backup has the same name as your current account issue since I didn't do the migration during the install process but after I created the same account.

I too am having the computer completely shut down with sleep. No big deal for me either but if there is a fix I will install it later.

Thanks again for all of the time and energy you spent on this.

you are welcome. I do this for the fun and learning. If I did not want to do this, then I would be keeping my MacPro instead of selling it.

I am selling here for anybody that wants the mercedes of the apple line.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=200291500253

This may be a stupid question.. But i'm relatively new with Mac... how does one go about booting into the test partition after you do your test upgrade..

I know how to "restore" the Original system to a secondary partition (actually 2en drive 1st partition) but i have no idea how to boot into that partition...

Ive been using linux and unix for years so i'm not affraid of the command line.. i'm sure im just overlooking somthing stupid here.. but if someone could point me to a tutorial on how to set up multiple partitions for booting i would appreaciate it...

JUST FYI

my system is set up as followes

Drive 1 (250 GB Samsung SataII GUID Table)

TestSystem (116 GB part)

BackupSystem (116 GB part)

Drive 2 (250 GB Samsung SataII GUID Table)

My Mac (primary system)

The rest of the system is pretty much a Clone of what Linsboard built a couple variations in Ram and a slightly slower CPU

Thanks!

Thomas

This may be a stupid question.. But i'm relatively new with Mac... how does one go about booting into the test partition after you do your test upgrade..

I know how to "restore" the Original system to a secondary partition (actually 2en drive 1st partition) but i have no idea how to boot into that partition...

Ive been using linux and unix for years so i'm not affraid of the command line.. i'm sure im just overlooking somthing stupid here.. but if someone could point me to a tutorial on how to set up multiple partitions for booting i would appreaciate it...

JUST FYI

my system is set up as followes

Drive 1 (250 GB Samsung SataII GUID Table)

TestSystem (116 GB part)

BackupSystem (116 GB part)

Drive 2 (250 GB Samsung SataII GUID Table)

My Mac (primary system)

The rest of the system is pretty much a Clone of what Linsboard built a couple variations in Ram and a slightly slower CPU

Thanks!

Thomas

You can use a boot-loader such as chameleon in the boot sector of each drive. For partitions on the same drive, chameleon will see all of them, and by using a boot flag with a timeout, you will be able to stop and select what partition you want to boot.

boot flags can be added to boot.plist: (this stops the boot and lets you select boot method)

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>8</string>

just check my guide for that section, and do a bit of searching, and you will get it.

also... GParted is useful for expanding etc.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

You can use a boot-loader such as chameleon in the boot sector of each drive. For partitions on the same drive, chameleon will see all of them, and by using a boot flag with a timeout, you will be able to stop and select what partition you want to boot.

Chameleon is great for loading from another partition on the same physical device. But if you are booting from a second device you may find it easier to use the Boot menu from BIOS, or select the Boot Menu during POST. On this board press F12 as soon as the POST screen comes up (Gigabyte welcome screen). You will be presented with a series of menus where you can select between channels (CD, LAN, HD, floppy), and in the case of multiple HDs a second menu will present which device. This is how you will have to switch between OSX and UNIX and Windoze should you decide to install another operating system.

I learned the hard way that having 2 physical devices is MUCH easier if you make a mistake than hoping to recover from another partition.

Thanks Lensboard for the guide. Your months of mistakes and successes made this process so much easier. After I quit trying to re-invent the wheel and learned from you and your guide.

Only problem I have now might need to be asked in a video forum. Spore (the game) does a graphics card check during install. Spore reports "Could not create Graphics Device. DirectX is unavailabe." I thought your SYMBIOS_28 would have fixed this or EFI would patch it. The graphics card check I assume is into System Profiler. And a ATi2400HD should support OpenGL (Spore should be reporting OpenGL not DirectX, but thats probably a typo when they ported it to Mac).

Any ideas where to change my AppleSYMBIOS to correctly report OpenGL status? And would that be the same place to change my RAM to report as DDR2 1066 instead of DDR 667

Chameleon is great for loading from another partition on the same physical device. But if you are booting from a second device you may find it easier to use the Boot menu from BIOS, or select the Boot Menu during POST. On this board press F12 as soon as the POST screen comes up (Gigabyte welcome screen). You will be presented with a series of menus where you can select between channels (CD, LAN, HD, floppy), and in the case of multiple HDs a second menu will present which device. This is how you will have to switch between OSX and UNIX and Windoze should you decide to install another operating system.

I learned the hard way that having 2 physical devices is MUCH easier if you make a mistake than hoping to recover from another partition.

Thanks Lensboard for the guide. Your months of mistakes and successes made this process so much easier. After I quit trying to re-invent the wheel and learned from you and your guide.

Only problem I have now might need to be asked in a video forum. Spore (the game) does a graphics card check during install. Spore reports "Could not create Graphics Device. DirectX is unavailabe." I thought your SYMBIOS_28 would have fixed this or EFI would patch it. The graphics card check I assume is into System Profiler. And a ATi2400HD should support OpenGL (Spore should be reporting OpenGL not DirectX, but thats probably a typo when they ported it to Mac).

Any ideas where to change my AppleSYMBIOS to correctly report OpenGL status? And would that be the same place to change my RAM to report as DDR2 1066 instead of DDR 667

Great job on the F12 advice for this board. I happen to use this method. I save settings in the bios (F11 to save setup), then I can easily boot in windows, linux, OSX etc (no AHCI etc). I have different BIOS settings for each operating system. I then hit delete on restart, in BIOS, choose F12, choose my settings, then F10, and I am on the way.

I am not aware of this, and or how to fix it. I am not that geeky. I happened to choose my video card based on the current MacPro's video card, and just bought the same one in the event there was any hardware checking. I don't have this game, or any intention of buying it, but this advice may help someone in the future. :D

Sorry couldnt help :(

I have seen this discussed somewhere, try searching google just on this site:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cli...com&spell=1

or try this tool:

http://######.com/index.php?option=...1&Itemid=48

It is on the "Modify about this Mac" button

I used it to correctly report my CPU, and it should fix ram reporting as well. I am assuming you want to fix the memory display in "About this Mac"... correct?

After installing, I get to the setup assistant. Upon selecting the internet connection type, it hangs at "configuring your computer" and I get the spinning beachball. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Never had that problem, try leaving the default checked, or "this computer does not connect to the internet"

Are you using the EP45-DS3L?

After installing, I get to the setup assistant. Upon selecting the internet connection type, it hangs at "configuring your computer" and I get the spinning beachball. Any ideas?

Thanks.

I have the same situation. I unplugged my network cable and rebooted and got past this step.

hello. thanks so much for your detail sharing.

But, i got a problemss. I can successful intsall "Kalyway 10.5.2 Retail".

When i try update to 10.5.5 using your guide, i got a failed.

The Detail of 10.5.5 update steps:

1. 10.5.2 successful installed

2. install 10.5.5 update from apple to the correct partition

* in this step, the os notice me "Reboot a computer", when i reboot, show a same message again. I can't going to next step(e.g. terminal run ".//ep45-post-patch.sh")

** i have trying the other method from othe site, the method are:

2. install "Prepare for Combo Update.pkg"

3. install "10.5.5 Combo update" from apple

4. install "Post Combo Update Patches.mpkg"

**this method can install, but stop in "white apple screen" forever....

May i know, if i want to update... what procedure i need take attentaion and know?

...i can directly uptate to 10.5.6, skip the 10.5.5?

This is my first time try to install osx86, i have read many post about the update, may be i have many mistake and not understand the step clearly... i am so sorry about that..

Thank you so much again!!

---------------------------------

My PC Config:

CPU: Intell C2D E8400 3.0GHZ

Ram: Kingston DDR2 800 2G x2

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L Rev1.0,BIOS F8

VGA: Winfast 9800GTX+ 512mb

Sound, LAN: onboard

PW Supply: Antec NeoPower 550

hello. thanks so much for your detail sharing.

But, i got a problemss. I can successful intsall "Kalyway 10.5.2 Retail".

* in this step, the os notice me "Reboot a computer", when i reboot, show a same message again. I can't going to next step(e.g. terminal run ".//ep45-post-patch.sh")

** i have trying the other method from othe site, the method are:

2. install "Prepare for Combo Update.pkg"

3. install "10.5.5 Combo update" from apple

4. install "Post Combo Update Patches.mpkg"

**this method can install, but stop in "white apple screen" forever....

May i know, if i want to update... what procedure i need take attentaion and know?

...i can directly uptate to 10.5.6, skip the 10.5.5?

This is my first time try to install osx86, i have read many post about the update, may be i have many mistake and not understand the step clearly... i am so sorry about that..

Thank you so much again!!

---------------------------------

My PC Config:

CPU: Intell C2D E8400 3.0GHZ

Ram: Kingston DDR2 800 2G x2

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L Rev1.0,BIOS F8

VGA: Winfast 9800GTX+ 512mb

Sound, LAN: onboard

PW Supply: Antec NeoPower 550

This is not a Kalyway guide, follow all the instructions, and it will all work fine. This will only update a retail install as far as I know.

I can successful intsall "Kalyway 10.5.2 Retail".

Lensboard's guide does NOT work to update Kalyway to 10.5.5. I know -- I tried 15 ways from Sunday to do it. Also you must install 10.5.5 updater while being booted from a separate drive (device or partition) and select "destination" as the other drive before clicking on "Install".

You REALLY need two physical drives to make this easy. Doing it with one drive and two partitions makes for a risky proposition should something go wrong. If you MUST use a single device, install Kalyway on the FIRST partition so you have a chance to recover if the Retail install goes bad. Hang ups for video and LAN are not uncommon and the mobo BIOS will only check the device once. Having a kernel in the first partition will boot and allow you to select which partition to run. Having a damaged kernel or damaged "com.apple.BOOT.plist" in the first partition will not give you that option. (e.g.: bad Retail install may have a damaged kernel or plist)

You sound like a fairly accomplished geek. That's a compliment. Look around in one of your old computer parts bins (I have all kinds of old junk that I should eBay). You prolly have an old ATA drive that you can use on the pATA bus as your "safety net" device. That way you can install Kalyway (which runs) in a place that you can always get back to by using F12 during POST or forcing from BIOS/CMOS. (Kalyway/OSX 10.5 takes 12 GB plus user files, so use a 40 GB drive or larger.)

My first install of lensboard's guide was done with 1 device and was a success after 3 tries and 5 hours. I did something extra and crashed. With a second device it took me just a single try and 45 minutes to reinstall.

You need to find a RETAIL copy of OSX 10.5 to use this guide. I got mine at Microcenter for $119. BestBuy has them for $129. There are no current torrents that I can find and I don't trust them anyway. There might be a copy of 10.5.4 Retail in one of the alt.binaries.mac newsgroups, but if you sucessfully install you should pay the license fee.

Lensboard: you should edit the top of your guide to remind people that this is to install RETAIL OSX not how to patch Kalyway, LEO4all or whatever into a full OSX. I made the same mistake and I read the guide top to bottom 2x.

I Installed with iATKOS 10.5.5 and updated to 10.5.6 and did not use the patch and it worked but sleep mode does not work is there a fix for sleep (it turns off the computer)

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L Rev 1.0 BIOS : F8

2 SATA Western Digital Hard Drives (Not in AHCI Mode) OSx86 / Windows Vista

1 SATA HP DVD 1070i DVD Burner

EVGA nVidia GeForce 8600 GT 256 MB

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz

Lensboard: you should edit the top of your guide to remind people that this is to install RETAIL OSX not how to patch Kalyway, LEO4all or whatever into a full OSX. I made the same mistake and I read the guide top to bottom 2x.

Good suggestion, will do