Leopard on Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs

verdant

Installer Packages for nForce chipset MOBOs  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to Mysticus C* to enable him to continue making and updating nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO-focussed Kernel/Drivers Installer packages, Combo Updater Packages......possibly even a DVD......?

• Yes, before new and/or updated packages are released
    • Yes, after new and/or updated packages are released
    • Yes, but only after I have used the new and/or updated packages successfully on my system
    • Unsure, I may donate after I have used the new and/or updated packages successfully on my system
    • No
  2. 2. Level of Demand for Installer Packages for nForce chipset MOBOs

• Would you like it if new and/or updated installer packages for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs were to be developed by an OSx86 forum member?
    • Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to such a developer using an nForce chipset + Intel CPU nForce MOBO?
    • Would you like it if new and/or updated installer packages for nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBOs were to be developed by an OSx86 forum member?
    • Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to such a developer using an nForce chipset + AMD CPU nForce MOBO?
    • Do you have a DESKTOP nForce chipset MOBO?
    • Do you have a LAPTOP/NOTEBOOK nForce chipset MOBO?
  3. 3. Nature of donations offered

• Would you prefer to donate hardware (in good faith on the basis of trust) acceptable to the developer, to enable him/her to build a system on which to develop the installer packages?
    • Would you prefer to donate cash (in good faith on the basis of trust) to the developer to defray his/her upfront cost of acquiring a system on which to develop the installer packages?

1,138 posts in this topic

nForce News:

==========

I now replaced the older version with the 1.2 version

Changes:

========

Nothing radical really

+ removed test pre patch

+ updated nforcelan with the latest version 0.62.3n beta and 0372-3 device ids added as well...

- anything else needed?

For 10.5.5 Update:

Verdant you know what to do, but in case for some people the test 3 does not work? use the old method (test 2 method)

If mobo does not have any problem (meaning no freeze during update)

Quick Update (no restart until end of 3rd step):

1) Pre patch for nforce

2) combo

3) post patch (all the drivers in nforce package are also included in the post patch now :) )

If mobo has problem (freeze during update

Longer Update (restart after 1st step, and restart after 4th step):

1) nforce package to select 64 bit packages (nforceata + voodoo beta 2c kernel are sufficient as you will still need to select those options after the update esp kernel since it will be overwritten) -- restart so that 64 bit packages run and working fine and no freeze should happen

2) pre patch nforce package -

3) combo

4) post patch

Of course, never forget to customize!

Hello Gentleman.....

First of all I am so damn happy I finally found this Topic. I am running a EVGA 780i FTW and getting a Hackintosh on here as been pretty confusing so far....

I have sucked down Kalyways/iAtkos/iDeneb all with varying results but I have a working copy using my iAtkos 4.1 v10.5.4. I am configured with 3 partitions... 1 for Main , 1 for Test , 1 is FAT

My problem centers around my graphics card. Since I am running a 9600GTS 512 I apparently cannot use my card until I upgrade to 10.5.5

--- I am currently working with Mysticus C's method via this topic : Complete Updates for Newbies and All -- Currently 10.5.5 Combo (Only Intel CPUs). I kept borking my system by using an older version from Bike Town....

-But now new hope: I read Mysticus C's post above me and I have downloaded the appropriate files. I plan on using this method that Verdant posted which is also above me ...

I am using:

version 1.2 nvidia drivers

MaxOSXUpdateCombo 10.5.5

Here is the process I believe :

------------------------------

A. Run the Mysticus C* nForce Drivers package, choosing ONLY

nForceATA

Step 1 - Patched NVDIA Drivers

Step 2 - NVdarwin GFX Memory

Select the correct VRAM value for your GFX card

Voodoo Beta 2C

and restart.....booting with -v -f.

B. Run the Mysticus C* v1.1.5 Combo Updater packages (opening Installer Log from Installer top menu bar to show "errors and progress"......Do not close Installer Log window until the end, when you should save the Installer Log File), in order:

1st. nForce Pre Patch (DO NOT RESTART and leave installer window open)

2nd. Apple 10.5.5 Combo Updater (DO NOT RESTART and leave installer window open)

3rd. Post Patch

----------------------------

I guess the only part that I am confused on during this whole process is the fact that my video card requires special attention and the correct order of events.... after reading so much craziness..

Thanks for everything btw guys... this community is awesome

Noncentz

Well.....

When I install this package: nForce Drivers package 1.2 I can manage to restart but I see that the display fails during boot but I can still get to the OS. Problem is it looks like {censored}! If I run via -v -x in Safe mode I can boot correctly.

Is it possible to still continue with my update while in safe mode then install my graphics drivers once i get to 10.5.5?

------------------------

A. Run the Mysticus C* nForce Drivers package, choosing ONLY

nForceATA
Step 1 - Patched NVDIA Drivers
Step 2 - NVdarwin GFX Memory
Select the correct VRAM value for your GFX card
Voodoo Beta 2C

and restart.....booting with -v -f.

I

nForce News:

==========

I now replaced the older version with the 1.2 version

Changes:

========

Nothing radical really

+ removed test pre patch

+ updated nforcelan with the latest version 0.62.3n beta and 0372-3 device ids added as well...

- anything else needed?

For 10.5.5 Update:

Verdant you know what to do, but in case for some people the test 3 does not work? use the old method (test 2 method)

If mobo does not have any problem (meaning no freeze during update)

Quick Update (no restart until end of 3rd step):

1) Pre patch for nforce

2) combo

3) post patch (all the drivers in nforce package are also included in the post patch now :D )

If mobo has problem (freeze during update

Longer Update (restart after 1st step, and restart after 4th step):

1) nforce package to select 64 bit packages (nforceata + voodoo beta 2c kernel are sufficient as you will still need to select those options after the update esp kernel since it will be overwritten) -- restart so that 64 bit packages run and working fine and no freeze should happen

2) pre patch nforce package -

3) combo

4) post patch

Of course, never forget to customize!

Thanks for updating the packages.......I will run them through on my test system when I get some time....... :wacko:

When you have updated your instructions in your Updater topic I will do versions in my Series 7 and Pre-series 7 topics too......

• 2 weeks later...
verdant: read the pre 7* topic and see kelly's results... looks like promising... so far... no crazy mouse... hope never... :)

Hi Mysticus,

I am trying AppleUSBEHCI currently.......will update my topics when testing completed.......

Cheers

verdant

Reported working using Verdants instructions and Mysticus's nForce updated packages....

Booted in safe mode and installed video drivers and booted fine after that. My audio drivers are the only thing I have left to fix.

--------------I am getting random kernal panics though, will be trolling for some answers to that problem. I am currently running the Voodoo Kernel as specified in the instructions---------------

Noncentz

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at my wit's end to using all 2 cores without running into problems.

The latest two issues have been that I left my PC for 20 mins, screensaver came up and was still running normally but my USB mouse and keyboard didn't work. Second issue was that I booted into Leopard tried to launch Safari but I was left hanging with just a swirly rainbow ball, mouse worked when moving it but nothing else would.

I would appreciate any solutions you can give me to try, I'm going to try using Voodoo XNU Kernel - Release Candidate, mercurysquad released it today. (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=138420)

So basically using cpus=1, my system is completely stable and I have no problems. If I boot with all 2 cores enabled I run into random issues which I cannot explain.

I started my thread here which has not gotten much attention unfortunately: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=136648

I'm at my wit's end to using all 2 cores without running into problems.

The latest two issues have been that I left my PC for 20 mins, screensaver came up and was still running normally but my USB mouse and keyboard didn't work. Second issue was that I booted into Leopard tried to launch Safari but I was left hanging with just a swirly rainbow ball, mouse worked when moving it but nothing else would.

I would appreciate any solutions you can give me to try, I'm going to try using Voodoo XNU Kernel - Release Candidate, mercurysquad released it today. (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=138420)

So basically using cpus=1, my system is completely stable and I have no problems. If I boot with all 2 cores enabled I run into random issues which I cannot explain.

I started my thread here which has not gotten much attention unfortunately: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=136648

I am wondering if the Voodoo kernel has some timing/synching issues with nForce MOBOs as I too have experienced erratic mouse behaviour after long periods........usually I can resolve matters if i can manage to use mouse to put system to sleep and then wake it up again......

Are you running onboard LAN with eno NForceLAN kext as this may also be contributing to your problems......

Yes, I've always been using onboard lan with nForceLAN drivers by eno (nForceLAN 0.62.3n beta) OptMode 0

I installed them with the nForce Drivers v1.2 installer.

Even with this setup I get random mouse/system freezes.......that is why I have reverted back to using my Netgear GA311 RTL8169 chipset NIC......

Even with this setup I get random mouse/system freezes.......that is why I have reverted back to using my Netgear GA311 RTL8169 chipset NIC......

Did you ever get these random freezes while using cpus=1 and using onboard LAN ?

Because I find it strange that for me I ONLY get random issues when I use all 2 cores.

BTW: I installed latest Voodoo kernel and after leaving the PC on for about 2 hours I came back to find that the screensaver again was running fine but USB mouse/keyboard were not responding.

Did you ever get these random freezes while using cpus=1 and using onboard LAN ?

Because I find it strange that for me I ONLY get random issues when I use all 2 cores.

BTW: I installed latest Voodoo kernel and after leaving the PC on for about 2 hours I came back to find that the screensaver again was running fine but USB mouse/keyboard were not responding.

No, if I run with cpus=1 and use onboard LAN with eno nForceLAN kext plus Voodoo 9.5.0 beta 2c kernel, there is never a problem with random freezes but with 4 cores running, I get

random freezes......

SOLVED!!

Thanks to eno for his latest nForce LAN driver, and turning off HPET in BIOS, thanks to ed8888

Using mac for over 4 hours now...

EVERYTHING WORKING!!!

4 Cores, 3GB RAM, 8800GT, audio......AND.....nForce onboard LAN!!!

Hells yeah....:D

Hope this continues like this:)

EDIT: Running for over 6 hours now...time to say goodnight to my mac:)

AGH!! I still am unable to get QE/CI out of my 8800 GTS 512!

I am in the process of downloading JaS 10.5.4 to give a shot, but will the distro really make a difference.

@ASNNetworks I see that you now have everything working. We have the same mobo, different cpu, but similar graphic card. Do you know if the 8800 GT is on the G88 or G92 chipset? Mine is G92 and the 512MB version at that (I've read the 512 cards can be problematic). Since JaS 10.5.4 apparently worked for you, I am thinking that may be the right way to go.

I am running 10.5.5, but the original install was from Leo4Allv3 updated via Mysticus' guide. Everything works, but no QE/CI with my video. It would take a book to outline what I have tried, but suffice it to say that I have tried pretty much everything (nvinject, nvkush, nvdarwin, etc) ensuring I am setting everything up with the neccessary 512MB settings and all the neccessary ID's where they need to be. Last thing I tried was Mysticus' nForce Drivers v1.2. The same thing happens every time. The system hangs at the point the loginwindow tries to start.

Would using another distro make a difference?

For all of my rig's specs, see my sig.

I am in the process of downloading JaS 10.5.4 to give a shot, but will the distro really make a difference.

@ASNNetworks I see that you now have everything working. We have the same mobo, different cpu, but similar graphic card. Do you know if the 8800 GT is on the G88 or G92 chipset? Mine is G92 and the 512MB version at that (I've read the 512 cards can be problematic). Since JaS 10.5.4 apparently worked for you, I am thinking that may be the right way to go.

I am running 10.5.5, but the original install was from Leo4Allv3 updated via Mysticus' guide. Everything works, but no QE/CI with my video. It would take a book to outline what I have tried, but suffice it to say that I have tried pretty much everything (nvinject, nvkush, nvdarwin, etc) ensuring I am setting everything up with the neccessary 512MB settings and all the neccessary ID's where they need to be. Last thing I tried was Mysticus' nForce Drivers v1.2. The same thing happens every time. The system hangs at the point the loginwindow tries to start.

See here in this thread......and here......

Yeah mine is G92 (512MB) no probs with it at all (I see you're using a GTS, mine is GT)...Using JAS 10.5.4...I THINK I didn't install NVInject or NVKush or any other installer...You could try the latest ones...However, I installed a kext pack, I believe..Too long ago to remember..

I keep backing up and restoring my extensions (kexts) when re-installing Mac OSX for this very reason...Cause now everything works with, so when I re-install again, I just restore my extensions using MacOSX Tool...I could provide you my extensions folder.....

I'll start by sharing my setup:

Mobo: Asus P5N-D

Chipset: nForce 750i SLI

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4 cores, 2.4GHz stock

RAM: 2x 2GB DDR2 800

DVDRW: 1x SATA

Hard Drives: 2x SATA, 160GB & 500GB

Partitions: 160GB = 1 partition with Vista 32-bit

500GB = 2 partitions, 420GB storage partition (NTFS) and 40GB empty partition (HFS+)

OS's: Windows Vista 32-Bit SP1 installed on 160GB hdd, hoping to dual boot with OS X on 500GB hdd's 40GB partition

GFX: MSI Geforce 8800GT 512mb

LAN: Onboard nForce LAN

Audio: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Wireless: Linksys WMP54G wireless adaptor

I started by using Gparted Live on my then single 500GB hard drive's partition to separate it into two partitions, one 420GB storage partition (NTFS) that appears unaffected by the partition resizing, and one 40GB partition which I formatted HFS+.

I've tried to install Kalyway 10.5.1, 10.5.2, and JaS 10.5.4 with the nforce ATA patch. All failed. Kalyway 10.5.2 and JaS both give me the "Still waiting for root device" error which Verdant described in an earlier post where he demonstrates how to install OS X using the JaS 10.5.4 NForceATA kext boot-patched to get around this. Kalyway 10.5.1 does get past the gray and white apple screen, and I can open disk utility to see all my hard drives and partitions, but for some reason the 40GB partition shows itself as unmounted, and when I try to use the "erase" feature of disk utility to reformat it in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with name disk1s2, the system hangs at "Preparing to erase" or something like that.

I have a feeling this problem is being caused by my SATA DVDRW but I'm not sure, I have tried removing 2GB of ram and the nforce ATA patch for the JaS 10.5.4, but still get "Still waiting for root device". I have seen posts of people with an Asus P5N-D getting JaS 10.5.4 to work, so does it have something to do with the fact that there is another partition on the hard drive with the 40GB partition I'm trying to install to or that I used Gparted to resize it, or is it simply a SATA DVDRW issue? If anyone has any insight that would be great.

I'll start by sharing my setup:

Mobo: Asus P5N-D

Chipset: nForce 750i SLI

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4 cores, 2.4GHz stock

RAM: 2x 2GB DDR2 800

DVDRW: 1x SATA

Hard Drives: 2x SATA, 160GB & 500GB

Partitions: 160GB = 1 partition with Vista 32-bit

500GB = 2 partitions, 420GB storage partition (NTFS) and 40GB empty partition (HFS+)

OS's: Windows Vista 32-Bit SP1 installed on 160GB hdd, hoping to dual boot with OS X on 500GB hdd's 40GB partition

GFX: MSI Geforce 8800GT 512mb

LAN: Onboard nForce LAN

Audio: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Wireless: Linksys WMP54G wireless adaptor

I started by using Gparted Live on my then single 500GB hard drive's partition to separate it into two partitions, one 420GB storage partition (NTFS) that appears unaffected by the partition resizing, and one 40GB partition which I formatted HFS+.

I've tried to install Kalyway 10.5.1, 10.5.2, and JaS 10.5.4 with the nforce ATA patch. All failed. Kalyway 10.5.2 and JaS both give me the "Still waiting for root device" error which Verdant described in an earlier post where he demonstrates how to install OS X using the JaS 10.5.4 NForceATA kext boot-patched to get around this. Kalyway 10.5.1 does get past the gray and white apple screen, and I can open disk utility to see all my hard drives and partitions, but for some reason the 40GB partition shows itself as unmounted, and when I try to use the "erase" feature of disk utility to reformat it in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with name disk1s2, the system hangs at "Preparing to erase" or something like that.

I have a feeling this problem is being caused by my SATA DVDRW but I'm not sure, I have tried removing 2GB of ram and the nforce ATA patch for the JaS 10.5.4, but still get "Still waiting for root device". I have seen posts of people with an Asus P5N-D getting JaS 10.5.4 to work, so does it have something to do with the fact that there is another partition on the hard drive with the 40GB partition I'm trying to install to or that I used Gparted to resize it, or is it simply a SATA DVDRW issue? If anyone has any insight that would be great.

1. Check your BIOS settings against template in post #1 in this thread

2. Check using Install DVD Disk Utility that your OS X volume is partitioned as Master Boot Record (MBR) and formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

3. Your SATA DVDRW may be the problem.......but use Kalyway 10.5.1 to check out volume formatting as per 2. above.......and report back here......

Tried to use Kalyway 10.5.1, crashed at "Gathering Disk Information" once I clicked on Disk Utility. Going to give it another try later today, but for now I can say that my BIOS settings correctly match your post #1.

When booting to DVD try booting with "-v cpus=1 maxmem=2048"

Alright, after much frustration and restarting after disk utility crashed during formatting of the 40gb partition, I borrowed an IDE DVDRW from a friend. Interestingly Kalyway 10.5.1 still crashes during disk utility, but I was able to successfully reformat the partition in disk utility using kalyway 10.5.2 and the cpus=1 maxmem=2048 flag. Going to do some tests and try to use my SATA DVDRW with JaS 10.5.4 nforce ata patch and see what happens, if fail then I'll try kalyway 10.5.2. Something tells me that kalyway 10.5.1 is going to crash no matter what I do. I'll report back as soon as I finish testing.

Tragically, JaS 10.5.4 w/nforce ata patch and kalyway 10.5.2 on my SATA DVDRW both still give me error:

"Firewire... defaulting to full-secure"

"Still waiting for root device..."

My BIOS settings match up, I am using 1x 2GB Ram, and used the cpus=1 maxmem=2048 flag. Perhaps SATA DVDRW is impossible for my setup. Although I thought I read another post from a user with the same MOBO as me getting JaS 10.5.4 boot-patched to work on a SATA DVDRW. Sigh.

Any other ideas on how I can get the SATA drive to work, or should I just move on and use the IDE while I have it?