Leopard on Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs

verdant

Installer Packages for nForce chipset MOBOs  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to Mysticus C* to enable him to continue making and updating nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO-focussed Kernel/Drivers Installer packages, Combo Updater Packages......possibly even a DVD......?

• Yes, before new and/or updated packages are released
    • Yes, after new and/or updated packages are released
    • Yes, but only after I have used the new and/or updated packages successfully on my system
    • Unsure, I may donate after I have used the new and/or updated packages successfully on my system
    • No
  2. 2. Level of Demand for Installer Packages for nForce chipset MOBOs

• Would you like it if new and/or updated installer packages for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs were to be developed by an OSx86 forum member?
    • Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to such a developer using an nForce chipset + Intel CPU nForce MOBO?
    • Would you like it if new and/or updated installer packages for nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBOs were to be developed by an OSx86 forum member?
    • Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to such a developer using an nForce chipset + AMD CPU nForce MOBO?
    • Do you have a DESKTOP nForce chipset MOBO?
    • Do you have a LAPTOP/NOTEBOOK nForce chipset MOBO?
  3. 3. Nature of donations offered

• Would you prefer to donate hardware (in good faith on the basis of trust) acceptable to the developer, to enable him/her to build a system on which to develop the installer packages?
    • Would you prefer to donate cash (in good faith on the basis of trust) to the developer to defray his/her upfront cost of acquiring a system on which to develop the installer packages?

1,138 posts in this topic

Also you need to boot with "cpus=1 maxmem=2048" flags, and that will elevate the lockups during the install. After install, you will need to install the slashackATA driver for the nforce. If you do a little digging, Mysticus C* made a nforce Driver installer, it has all the kexts and the kernel you need!

Let us know how you fare, I am still struggling with my sata disks, I would like to know if it's just me or if it's a reference board issue (780i, I have a xfx you have a evga, they are the exact same board). Also, what version of the bios do you have? I am on P08.....

Hi there, thanks for the reply, I finally got it working. I used an older IDE HDD I had earlier to get rid of the input/output error.  I also used the cpus=1 command to boot which did get rid of some of those restart problems.

I followed this guide pretty closesly (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=121633&st=0&p=860459entry860459) then I used this (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73317&pid=911383&mode=threaded&start=200#entry911383) to get the internet going.  

Current problems: (1)I am still unsure as to how to upgrade to 10.5.4 or 10.5.5 for that matter, I will dig a little deeper.  (2)Still don't have any onboard sound (3)can't boot without cpus=1 -x -v command. (4) I have these random lines around the midline of my screen, especially on the left side, they're about 1cm in length, which is strange.

Currently running 2Gb of RAM (i simply removed one stick). OS X 10.5.3 with INTERNET at max resolution of 1024x768 (only have a 15" screen).

Thanks again i hope that helps some people, and hope to get some help as well.

Cheers, Sikth

Hi there, thanks for the reply, I finally got it working. I used an older IDE HDD I had earlier to get rid of the input/output error.  I also used the cpus=1 command to boot which did get rid of some of those restart problems.

I followed this guide pretty closesly (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=121633&st=0&p=860459entry860459) then I used this (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73317&pid=911383&mode=threaded&start=200#entry911383) to get the internet going.  

Current problems: (1)I am still unsure as to how to upgrade to 10.5.4 or 10.5.5 for that matter, I will dig a little deeper.  (2)Still don't have any onboard sound (3)can't boot without cpus=1 -x -v command. (4) I have these random lines around the midline of my screen, especially on the left side, they're about 1cm in length, which is strange.

Currently running 2Gb of RAM (i simply removed one stick). OS X 10.5.3 with INTERNET at max resolution of 1024x768 (only have a 15" screen).

Cheers, Sikth

Glad you made further than b4, but first i would suggest you to make sure your bios is well configured(check the first page of this topic for how to set it up) then verdant and the other members will help you go thru, right now 4get about updating just make sure ur system is running really good before you update to 10.5.5 :hysterical:

Glad you made further than b4, but first i would suggest you to make sure your bios is well configured(check the first page of this topic for how to set it up) then verdant and the other members will help you go thru, right now 4get about updating just make sure ur system is running really good before you update to 10.5.5 ;)

Hey there

I think i spoke to soon... but yes the bios are set up according to verdant's post, that was the first thing i did. So, I updated to 10.5.5 unsuccesfully through Mysticus C* 's process. Did everything in there i tried to load with just -v -f command line but no success. It stops executing anything after the "timed out waiting to write kernels kernels, AppleNForceATA: found 0 units."

I know it said to wait 1-5 minutes, but i waited like half hour and nothing happened. Anway, i might try a fresh install. By the way, how do you find out what BIOS I have?

Maybe i can get some suggestions on which options to pick on the Post ComboUpdate Install.

Thanks again

Sikth

Hey there

I think i spoke to soon... but yes the bios are set up according to verdant's post, that was the first thing i did. So, I updated to 10.5.5 unsuccesfully through Mysticus C* 's process. Did everything in there i tried to load with just -v -f command line but no success. It stops executing anything after the "timed out waiting to write kernels kernels, AppleNForceATA: found 0 units."

I know it said to wait 1-5 minutes, but i waited like half hour and nothing happened. Anway, i might try a fresh install. By the way, how do you find out what BIOS I have?

Maybe i can get some suggestions on which options to pick on the Post ComboUpdate Install.

Thanks again

Sikth

for the latest bios update for evga 780i go here

the P08 is the latest update for the 780i

Cheers, Sikth

You might want to consider getting the iDeneb 1.3 DVD (10.5.5). It does contain (1) bug which is a carbonlib error when installing certain software. There is a patch floating around on these forums, if you do a search for " ideneb and carbonlib error " you will find the thread that has the fix. Many installs ago, I was able to update from 10.5.2 to 10.5.5, but it's just easier to use a more recent DVD (10.5.5 being the latest) instead of going through the headaches of updating. I have tried all the install dvds I could find, and ideneb has given me the least amount of headaches. It can be found in the usual places. Also, make a sig with your specs, it makes helping you a little easier. What vid card do you have? If a nvidia card, use the mysticus c* nforce app I talked about earleir, and use the nvdarwin option and then select the amount of video ram it has. If a ATI card, you can search around the forums and find the right kext for your card.

I don't know if it is already said, but the Vanilla nForce Kernel 9.5.1 is only working with the parameters "-v cpus=1" on the Asus P5N32-E 680i mobo. So if there is anyone using this board with mysticus' installer too, don't have try, choose the Voodoo Kernel...

Cheers!

You might want to consider getting the iDeneb 1.3 DVD (10.5.5). It does contain (1) bug which is a carbonlib error when installing certain software. There is a patch floating around on these forums, if you do a search for " ideneb and carbonlib error " you will find the thread that has the fix. Many installs ago, I was able to update from 10.5.2 to 10.5.5, but it's just easier to use a more recent DVD (10.5.5 being the latest) instead of going through the headaches of updating. I have tried all the install dvds I could find, and ideneb has given me the least amount of headaches. It can be found in the usual places. Also, make a sig with your specs, it makes helping you a little easier. What vid card do you have? If a nvidia card, use the mysticus c* nforce app I talked about earleir, and use the nvdarwin option and then select the amount of video ram it has. If a ATI card, you can search around the forums and find the right kext for your card.

Hey thanks again for the reply, I made my signature to include my hardware. Now what i'm doing is trying Kalyway 10.5.1 again because the iDeneb is taking a really long time to download. I intend to update it to 10.5.3 at the least or maybe try the Mysticus C*'s update thing again. What i'm wondering is if you have to boot with cpus=1 maxmem=2048 with your build, we have a pretty similar thing and i'm wondering what you're doing for that matter.

Peace

Hey thanks again for the reply, I made my signature to include my hardware. Now what i'm doing is trying Kalyway 10.5.1 again because the iDeneb is taking a really long time to download. I intend to update it to 10.5.3 at the least or maybe try the Mysticus C*'s update thing again. What i'm wondering is if you have to boot with cpus=1 maxmem=2048 with your build, we have a pretty similar thing and i'm wondering what you're doing for that matter.

Peace

Hi there,

I would strongly recommend booting the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD with "-v cpus=1 maxmem=2048"......I suggest you read my Kalyway 10.5.2 install guide in my blog and also post #202 in this thread (same MOBO as you) for the process of updating from 10.5.2......also the Mysticus C* post #1 in his updater thread.....see link in post #1 of this thread........ :D

Hi there,

I would strongly recommend booting the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD with "-v cpus=1 maxmem=2048"......I suggest you read my Kalyway 10.5.2 install guide in my blog and also post #202 in this thread (same MOBO as you) for the process of updating from 10.5.2......also the Mysticus C* post #1 in his updater thread.....see link in post #1 of this thread........ :)

Hey verdant

I will try the Kalyway 10.5.2 distro.  I was wondering after i install the 10.5.2 do you think I will still have to boot with "-v cpus=1 maxmem=2048" I would really like to be able to use all the components i own.

I am praying this will work.

I never thought it would take so much, hehe.

Hey verdant

I will try the Kalyway 10.5.2 distro. I was wondering after i install the 10.5.2 do you think I will still have to boot with "-v cpus=1 maxmem=2048" I would really like to be able to use all the components i own.

I am praying this will work.

I never thought it would take so much, hehe.

No, you should not have to boot with cpus=1, and with the Voodoo Beta 2C kernel and slashack nForceATA kext you should hopefully be able to use all 4GB RAM...... :)

has anyone tried out ideneb 1.3 10.5.5 with the nforce patch?

According to the iDeneb website, commenters there are still reporting problems with the iDeneb nForce patch.......suggest you install Kalyway 10.5.2 or other distro of your choice that works with your SATA HDD and/or SATA DVDRW, and use Mysticus C* 10.5.5 Combo Updater packages together with his nForce Drivers package (see post #1 in this thread for link to his thread) to update to 10.5.5....... :(

No, you should not have to boot with cpus=1, and with the Voodoo Beta 2C kernel and slashack nForceATA kext you should hopefully be able to use all 4GB RAM...... :)

Hi again

So i tried to install with Kalyway 10.5.2 and i get the "Still waiting for root device" message, which isn't productive. So I went with an installer that worked for me earlier Kalyway 10.5.1, and it did. I updated to 10.5.3 with Kalyway's combo updater.  I tried Mysticus C's 10.5.5 updater and no luck. It gets stuck at the nForceATA = 0 and does not load further.  Currently I am downloading iAtkos v1.0i r3 based on a success story from earlier in this thread that you've alluded to.  Then I will try to update through that.

Thanks again, and I will update with what progress i get.

Hey Verdant, have you tried checking Eno's nForce LAN driver Info.plist?

Because I checked it and found out that my LAN PCI id (0x037310de) was not in there eventhough Eno stipulates in his 1st post that it's included. Maybe he forgot it?

Anyway, I removed all the PCI ids in the info.plist and just added mine: 0x037310de&0xfffeffff

Further down in the info.plist there's an entry called Optimizationmode. By default it's set to 1. I changed it to 0.

Since then no issues so far. No random freezing, etc.. Hopefully it stays that way because the freeze sometimes occurs several hours after lol

Hey Verdant, have you tried checking Eno's nForce LAN driver Info.plist?

Because I checked it and found out that my LAN PCI id (0x037310de) was not in there eventhough Eno stipulates in his 1st post that it's included. Maybe he forgot it?

Anyway, I removed all the PCI ids in the info.plist and just added mine: 0x037310de&0xfffeffff

Further down in the info.plist there's an entry called Optimizationmode. By default it's set to 1. I changed it to 0.

Since then no issues so far. No random freezing, etc.. Hopefully it stays that way because the freeze sometimes occurs several hours after lol

No, I have not done so yet BUT I will do.......that is very helpful.........thanks....... :) I have been preoccupied with other OSx86 things...... ;)

UPDATE:

Yes, I have checked.....and as you say, the nVidia MCP55 Ethernet/Marvell 88E1116 LAN chipset Vendor:Device ID of 10de:0373 is still not present in the latest eno nForceLAN_0.62.3.kext (beta)....... :)

I had hoped that eno would have included it by now (AFIK it is included in the forcedeth.kext), as I had posted him my device ID in post #4 (because of his 0.61.5alpha_osx causing my system to freeze) after his reply in post #3 of his topic requesting LAN device IDs in reply to your post #2.....but I had no reply.......the weird thing being that it is the same device/vendor ID he had issues with..... :(

QUOTE(eno @ Oct 15 2008, 01:18 AM)

Very interesting. Could everyone who is having mouse issues post the device id of their nic? It might help me nail down where the problem is. I had issues with my mouse getting jumpy with my 0x037310de until i overclocked my hackintosh's memory.

Anyhow, as you did, I have now added it to the Info.plist IOPCIPrimaryMatch vendor/device ID string

0x037310de&0xfffeffff

to match the entry for

0x037210de&0xfffeffff

and have changed the OptimizationMode option from 1 to 0 (0 = throughput, 1 = cpu), although eno states that

[0.61.2alpha_osx]added OptimizationMode option (0 = throughput, 1 = cpu). CPU optimization is the default since it appears to works better with some devices (my MCP55).

So, like you, I will now be testing its stability.......so far so good......as least I have had no mouse pointer freezes on reaching the Desktop...... :)

Update: I started getting freezes again after a few hours online......not blaming nForceLAN necessarily........the trials will continue......

ive read this thread from start to finsh so theirs no clear cut way to install osx on a nforce board?

It depends what you mean by clear cut...............all major problems can be overcome.......otherwise I would not have started my nForce topics and my blog........ ;)

my issue is no matter what the images i've tried nothing works on my machine, wont even load to the installer..

What are the details of your system?

I made a thread on my problem but after seeing this, here is better suited.

Specs

* Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz V1.39

* TRUE w/ Scythe "ULTRA KAZE" @ 3000 RPMS and AC MX-2

* EVGA 780i Motherboard

* EVGA 9800GTX

* Cooler Master Case 690

* Corsair 650TX

* Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

* Seagate 500GB Sata 32MB Cache

* Mushkin 4GB DDR2-800

images that have failed:

Kalyway_Leopard_10.5.2

iATKOS_2.0i

iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5

no matter what I'd get some sort of an error about the root drive or just a big circle crossed out

side note, has anyone been able to get osx in vmware?

I made a thread on my problem but after seeing this, here is better suited.

Specs

* Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz V1.39

* TRUE w/ Scythe "ULTRA KAZE" @ 3000 RPMS and AC MX-2

* EVGA 780i Motherboard

* EVGA 9800GTX

* Cooler Master Case 690

* Corsair 650TX

* Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

* Seagate 500GB Sata 32MB Cache

* Mushkin 4GB DDR2-800

images that have failed:

Kalyway_Leopard_10.5.2

iATKOS_2.0i

iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5

no matter what I'd get some sort of an error about the root drive or just a big circle crossed out

side note, has anyone been able to get osx in vmware?

I have a number of suggestions:

1. I have found that OS X is not stable to as high OC speed as Vista e.g. with my Q6600 G0 I can OC to 3.3GHz (Prime 95 stable) but have to step back to 3.0GHz under OS X.

So, I recommend you save your 3.6GHz BIOS settings to file and revert back to stock 2.4GHz for the initial OS X install.

2. Confirm your BIOS settings against my recommended settings in post #1 (a number of posters have confirmed that they ensure stable operation, e.g. post #13, #202 on the same MOBO as you have)

3. Boot the OS X Install DVD (Kalyway 10.5.2) with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 and see if you get a "still waiting for root device error"......a possibility if you are using a SATA DVDRW but hopefully not if you are using a PATA DVDRW? Please let me know which type DVDRW you are using......

4. If you do not get any errors and can boot into the OS Installer, then

A. Use Disk Utility to partition the HDD as Master Boot Record (MBR) into the number and size of volumes required, and format the intended OS X install volume as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) giving it a unique name without spaces.

B. In the "Customize" menu, select as follows:

Additional Fonts Y (Choose to suit your requirements)

Language Translations N (Choose to suit your requirements)

Kernels -

kernel_9.2_sleep Y (Default choice)

kernel_9.2_speedstep N

kernel_922_kabyl N

kernel_922_modin N

kernel_92_nforce N

kernel_vanilla_92 N

Graphics _Drivers -

Ati_Radeon N

Nvidia_Geforce - N

Intel_GMA N

Audio_Drivers N

Networks_ Drivers - Default choices

Mobo_Chipsets - Default choices

Thirds_Applications – Choose to suit your requirements

SSE2_Jas1048_ACPI_APIC N (Default choice)

Patches -

Hardcoded_SMBIOS Default choice i.e. Lastnetkassmbios

boot_with-cpus=1_flag N

PCGenUSB_Fix N

Francais_pc_keyboard_layout N

TimeMachineFix Y

PowerManagement_bundle N

Intel Memory Controller N

AMD_1052_Patches Default N (Default choice).

and click Install......

Let me know what happens, e.g. boot screen errors etc........

okay first off THANKS ALOT, everything is pretty much working now...

Mac sees my 4 cores and all my ram... now the driver hunt...mainly looking for Sound drivers and video drivers, having a 1024x786 on a 22inch screen sucks! lol

okay first off THANKS ALOT, everything is pretty much working now...

Mac sees my 4 cores and all my ram... now the driver hunt...mainly looking for Sound drivers and video drivers, having a 1024x786 on a 22inch screen sucks! lol

Glad to help........ :P

For video check this topic.....I have not come across drivers for your sound card yet.....

Once you have a stable system, think about setting up a small 10.5.2 Boot volume 10GB, and larger Test and Main volumes before testing out updating to 10.5.5 on the Test volume first.....

thanks again tryin the driver installer, where would i go to attempt to update...I know I can't use the normal osx update.. my onboard sound works so im using that for the mean time.

my overclock is stable so i suppose osx is stable running at 3.6ghz

edit:

it says to use those drivers i need to be on 10.5.5

thanks again tryin the driver installer, where would i go to attempt to update...I know I can't use the normal osx update.. my onboard sound works so im using that for the mean time.

I will PM you the link for updating to 10.5.5...... :D

my overclock is stable so i suppose osx is stable running at 3.6ghz

You will find out if it is when doing anything CPU intensive.......also keep an eye on CPU core temps.........OS X seems to run the cores hotter than Vista and Ubuntu on my system....

edit:

it says to use those drivers i need to be on 10.5.5

Try the following procedure:

A. Run the Mysticus C* nForce Drivers package, choosing ONLY

nForceATA

Step 1 - Patched NVDIA Drivers

Step 2 - NVdarwin GFX Memory

Select the correct VRAM value for your GFX card

Voodoo Beta 2C

and restart.....booting with -v -f.

B. Run the Mysticus C* v1.1.5 Combo Updater packages (opening Installer Log from Installer top menu bar to show "errors and progress"......Do not close Installer Log window until the end, when you should save the Installer Log File), in order:

1st. nForce Pre Patch (DO NOT RESTART and leave installer window open)

2nd. Apple 10.5.5 Combo Updater (DO NOT RESTART and leave installer window open)

3rd. Post Patch, choosing ONLY

Voodoo Beta 2C

NVinject PLUS NVIDIA GFX DRIVERS NForce Fix (Select the correct VRAM value for your GFX card)

Just Restore Audio

Just Restore Network

MacPro

AppleACPI - AppleAPIC (Old Version) [default choice]

DSMOS Script Fix [default choice]

SAVE INSTALLER LOG before closing the installer window

RESTART.....booting with -v -f........and after auto restart boot again with -v -f........

If necessary (because of your GFX card)

C. Run the Mysticus C* nForce Drivers package AGAIN, choosing ONLY

Step 1 - Patched NVDIA Drivers

Step 2 - NVdarwin GFX Memory

Select the correct VRAM value for your GFX card

Guys, works!!!!

Specs in signature, all is well, I've posted a previous method: there's a flaw---- sorry. You MUST INSTALL EFI at iAtkos v2.0i, nforce core kernel, biketown update, nforce prepatch, customize with stagexnu kernel, apic, all the good stuff.. :wacko: So happy it works!!!