Leopard on Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs

verdant

Installer Packages for nForce chipset MOBOs  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to Mysticus C* to enable him to continue making and updating nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO-focussed Kernel/Drivers Installer packages, Combo Updater Packages......possibly even a DVD......?

• Yes, before new and/or updated packages are released
    • Yes, after new and/or updated packages are released
    • Yes, but only after I have used the new and/or updated packages successfully on my system
    • Unsure, I may donate after I have used the new and/or updated packages successfully on my system
    • No
  2. 2. Level of Demand for Installer Packages for nForce chipset MOBOs

• Would you like it if new and/or updated installer packages for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs were to be developed by an OSx86 forum member?
    • Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to such a developer using an nForce chipset + Intel CPU nForce MOBO?
    • Would you like it if new and/or updated installer packages for nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBOs were to be developed by an OSx86 forum member?
    • Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to such a developer using an nForce chipset + AMD CPU nForce MOBO?
    • Do you have a DESKTOP nForce chipset MOBO?
    • Do you have a LAPTOP/NOTEBOOK nForce chipset MOBO?
  3. 3. Nature of donations offered

• Would you prefer to donate hardware (in good faith on the basis of trust) acceptable to the developer, to enable him/her to build a system on which to develop the installer packages?
    • Would you prefer to donate cash (in good faith on the basis of trust) to the developer to defray his/her upfront cost of acquiring a system on which to develop the installer packages?

1,138 posts in this topic

here is the latest link

i made another test pre patch for nforce... this will install new disabler kext for cpupowermanagement and efiruntime, i want to see if you will be able to udpate without system freezing (no cpu=1 or any other flag at boot for update pls :( this is the purpose of the test)

test 1

=============

pre patch for nforce

combo

post patch (custmized)

??? nforce drivers packages? additionaly :) so you do all at once...

Failed......see details in my email

test 2

=============

nforce drivers package install, restart (so 64 bit enabled packages run)

pre patch (normal one)

combo update

post patch

nforce drivers agai to replace the replaced drivers (you know what it means, original update may replace some of the packages like appleviaata, kernel etc...)

Succeeded.....see details in my email......recommend you include skashhack's nForceATA.kext in next version of your installer.......see results of my testing with 6GB RAM and with Voodoo Beta 2C kernel...... :)

============================

let me know the results... (i m more keen to see if the combo update will finish without freezing rather than it will work or not after restart which can be fixed easily :) on nforce)

this test will show

either the 64 bit issue is causing this trouble (if test 1 fails, bcoz no 64 bit driver, just disabled cpupowerman, and efiruntime) or some other drivers (if test 2 fails, bcoz 64 bit drivers will be loaded so should not have any problem with combo update)...

sure i will add it to the update package, and will post the new link, but verdant can you confirm this kernel working on nforce?

My 650i MOBO does not like the 9.5.1 vanilla kernel.......while it does not always hang during the booting process......it comes up with messages like ".......disk not supported" and on one occasion when it reached the Desktop, moving the mouse away from the Hardware Monitor File tab just generated the Apple "spinning rainbow wheel".....

The last time I installed it, on booting my system bootup screen froze after the following last four error lines appeared......I waited for over 10 minutes but no futher boot progress beyond this point......the first error line was repeated 10's of time before last appearance and disk3s5 is the HDD volume I was booting from:

"disk3s5: loctl (_IOW,'d',31,32) is unsupported.

ERROR: Firewire unable to determine......

AppleNForceATA: found 0 units.

AppleNForceATA::free( 0x98a9600)"

Apparently, the 9.5.1 vanilla kernel even if nforce compatible is not universally so.......certainly not with my 650i chipset....... :(

But it may work with Series 7 nForce chipsets....... :) UPDATE: Nope, it appears to cause KPs on 790i chipset MOBO too...

Maybe it needs also something included only in 10.5.5 9F2114 (new MBP) version; anyway, apart from the kernel, i still get a lot of KP on a 9F2114 fresh install. Don't really understand why, they are every time differents, but i think something related to bootcache.

Edit:

I tried the kernel also on my leopard-iatokos (updated to 10.5.5 with mysticus package) and I get the same disk loctl error.

Maybe it needs also something included only in 10.5.5 9F2114 (new MBP) version; anyway, apart from the kernel, i still get a lot of KP on a 9F2114 fresh install. Don't really understand why, they are every time differents, but i think something related to bootcache.

Edit:

I tried the kernel also on my leopard-iatokos (updated to 10.5.5 with mysticus package) and I get the same disk loctl error.

That is what I found strange......the first time I booted after 9.5.1 vanilla kernel install I got as far as the Desktop before system froze but every time afterwards it has frozen during the bootup process.......at least I now know that Series 7 chipsets appear to have the same problem, so I will edit my post #1.....thanks for this information..... :D

should i exclude the 9.5.1 kernel from update packages and driver packages?

and what do you want in the final version? options you want to keep? change? delete? or should i combine all nforce packages into the combo update package?

for me it is better to keep nforce separate for maintaining and keeping it clean...

i can make one update package patches for normal systems, and one for nforces :D

this would reduce the confusion...

should i exclude the 9.5.1 kernel from update packages and driver packages?

and what do you want in the final version? options you want to keep? change? delete? or should i combine all nforce packages into the combo update package?

for me it is better to keep nforce separate for maintaining and keeping it clean...

i can make one update package patches for normal systems, and one for nforces :D

this would reduce the confusion...

I would suggest keeping the 9.5.1 vanilla kernel in your combo update post patch package, and include in it slashhack's nForceATA kext and eno's nForceLAN kext.....

But exclude at present the 9.5.1 vanilla kernel from the nForce Drivers Installer......

This way nForce chipset MOBO owners and all others can use your combo update post patch equally successfully, while nForce chipset MOBO owners have only what they can use in the nForce Drivers package......BTW I have emailed (with log and customize screen grabs) and PMd you regarding a successful Test 3...... :)

ok i will check the logs... and make the necessary changes in current update package and include the nforce package as a complement/addition to update package...

so test 3 works fine, means/proves that those freezes are caused by the efiruntime driver :D so with the disabler kext i used, it should not cause anymore freezes, and doing the update will work at one go :) can i safely say that? (also before your test 3, u didnt install and run the slashhack's nforce driver right? it is important to identify one problem at a time... otherwise, i can not confirm it was 64 bit error or efiruntime error causing the freeze... if u didnt run/have slashhack's nforceata i will confirm and add that to my update topic for nforce users as well)

ok i will check the logs... and make the necessary changes in current update package and include the nforce package as a complement/addition to update package...

so test 3 works fine, means/proves that those freezes are caused by the efiruntime driver :P so with the disabler kext i used, it should not cause anymore freezes, and doing the update will work at one go :) can i safely say that? (also before your test 3, u didnt install and run the slashhack's nforce driver right? it is important to identify one problem at a time... otherwise, i can not confirm it was 64 bit error or efiruntime error causing the freeze... if u didnt run/have slashhack's nforceata i will confirm and add that to my update topic for nforce users as well)

No, I only chose slashack's nforceata after running nforce pre patch, combo update, post patch.....in my email I included screen grabs of post patch selections and the nForce Drivers package selections..... :)

I do not know if you want to include NVDarwin as an option in your post patch as some posters claim that only NVDarwin has got their 8800GT or 8800GTS running properly......I leave that decision up to you because you know better than I how it differs if at all from what you have in the post patch currently....... :)

ok got it, i will make the necessary changes this weekend and post another package, and wrap things up...

so hopefully this time, 3 packages (pre patch normal, pre patch for nforce, --combo doesnt count as it is not mine :P --, post patch, nforce drivers pack since...)

when i think of it, i can actually combine the nforce package into the update as well, since only nvdarwin and nforce ata needs to be added...

(usb mount fix not a fix :) it is kernel with system kext which is already in my latest packages...)

(usb controller fix is already there)

(voodoo is added as well)

only nvdarwin and nforce packages needed...

since nforcelan is not stable looks like it...

I also tested the 9.5.1 Kernel with my 780i. It booted to the desktop once. On reboot, it hangs at a (I think it is) ACPI cpu error, with the backtrace listing the USB driver. I did notice in the kext package that is floating around (and I deleted it because it didn't work for me, dumbass me) from the new mac book that there are updated USB kexts. I am thinking that maybe the new kernel needs those kexts? I will refind the package and let you guys know how I fare. When using those kexts, my USB was dead before (but again that was with a 9.4.0 XNU kernel). It would be nice to have all 4 cpu cores AND my onboard lan working at the same time!!!

EDIT: Nevermind. The new .kexts didn't work.

Can anyone confirm that with my specs (listed below), if I get a RTL 8169 card, will I be able to have all my ram used with 4 cores and no lockups? If so, I will go get a RTL card and ditch the onboard lan.

Hi there,

On my 650i I am using 6GB RAM and 4 cores with no lockups, using Voodoo Beta 2C kernel + slashack's nForceATA kext, and alreday had a Netgear GA311 RTL8169 NIC installed with onboard LAN disabled.....

Hi there,

On my 650i I am using 6GB RAM and 4 cores with no lockups, using Voodoo Beta 2C kernel + slashack's nForceATA kext, and alreday had a Netgear GA311 RTL8169 NIC installed with onboard LAN disabled.....

You are da man! That's what I was waiting to hear. I will go pick up a GA311 today. Does it need to be a certain revision to insure it's a RTL8169??? Also do you need to boot with "-f" all the time? Right now with the onboard lan (the modified kext by i can't remember who right now), i have to use "cpus=1 -f", for my USB to function at bootup.

You are da man! That's what I was waiting to hear. I will go pick up a GA311 today. Does it need to be a certain revision to insure it's a RTL8169??? Also do you need to boot with "-f" all the time? Right now with the onboard lan (the modified kext by i can't remember who right now), i have to use "cpus=1 -f", for my USB to function at bootup.

No, you should not need to......the general recommendation is to include -f in the boot flags after adding a kext(s) as it will force OS X to reload all kexts and dump the boot configuration cache.

Re Netgear revision....I am not aware of one.....just get shop to confirm that you can return it if it is not reported as a RTL8169 by running lspci in Terminal....... :)

No, you should not need to......the general recommendation is to include -f in the boot flags after adding a kext(s) as it will force OS X to reload all kexts and dump the boot configuration cache.

Re Netgear revision....I am not aware of one.....just get shop to confirm that you can return it if it is not reported as a RTL8169 by running lspci in Terminal....... :)

I found a 3COM 905B-TX I had stowed away in my desk and took out my wireless nic and installed it. Sure enough, OSX has built in drivers for it!!! Installing the nic and disabling the onboard lan (nforcelan.kext) didn't work. My Satas would disconnect during heavy I/O, so I went ahead and formatted my OSX drive, and did a reinstall of iDeneb 10.5.5. All I installed was the 9.4.0 XNU kernel, the medevil SATA driver and the video driver for my 8800GTX. After starting up the first time, I installed the slashhack's sata and rebooted. I only used the -v switch to watch everything load (4 cores and 8GB). Once at the desktop, I went ahead and started a Time Machine backup. It borked out at 1.1gigs and my Satas disconnected!!! :-( So I installed the nforce drivers 1.1 package. I selected the nforceata and the nvdarwin gfx drivers + 768 (step 2) and the additional tools and rebooted. This time I tested by copying a 9.something gig folder from one sata to another.....it borked out at about 900mb and all my satas disconnected.....

I firgured I screwed something up and selected something extra by accident. So I went through the install again [ formatting my drive ] (iDeneb 10.5.5) and same selections and same process.....20 minutes later, I had an idea... After I went through the startup process, I did the nforce 1.1 drivers install with the same options selected as before, and I copied the 9.2 "nforce" kernel from my kalyway dvd and copied over the 9.2 system kext, installed both, prayed to God a few times and rebooted.... did the "-f -v" Came back up ok, rebooted again.... And, I went ahead and formatted my time machine disk, and did a backup now to it. It backed up the basic 6.something gigs fine!! I xfered over the same 9.something gig folder from one sata to the other and it copied fine!!! Holy S***!!!!

I am at a loss as to why the 9.4 kernels are working for others and not me?? Any ideas anyone? Here is the uname -a output of the kernel that is working for me;

Darwin paradigm.local 9.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Tue Feb 5 16:13:22 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.3.13~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Sorry for being so long winded, but I am pretty stoked right now that I got all 4 cores running with all my ram and my satas aren't f******* up!!!

I found a 3COM 905B-TX I had stowed away in my desk and took out my wireless nic and installed it. Sure enough, OSX has built in drivers for it!!! Installing the nic and disabling the onboard lan (nforcelan.kext) didn't work. My Satas would disconnect during heavy I/O, so I went ahead and formatted my OSX drive, and did a reinstall of iDeneb 10.5.5. All I installed was the 9.4.0 XNU kernel, the medevil SATA driver and the video driver for my 8800GTX. After starting up the first time, I installed the slashhack's sata and rebooted. I only used the -v switch to watch everything load (4 cores and 8GB). Once at the desktop, I went ahead and started a Time Machine backup. It borked out at 1.1gigs and my Satas disconnected!!! :-( So I installed the nforce drivers 1.1 package. I selected the nforceata and the nvdarwin gfx drivers + 768 (step 2) and the additional tools and rebooted. This time I tested by copying a 9.something gig folder from one sata to another.....it borked out at about 900mb and all my satas disconnected.....

I firgured I screwed something up and selected something extra by accident. So I went through the install again [ formatting my drive ] (iDeneb 10.5.5) and same selections and same process.....20 minutes later, I had an idea... After I went through the startup process, I did the nforce 1.1 drivers install with the same options selected as before, and I copied the 9.2 "nforce" kernel from my kalyway dvd and copied over the 9.2 system kext, installed both, prayed to God a few times and rebooted.... did the "-f -v" Came back up ok, rebooted again.... And, I went ahead and formatted my time machine disk, and did a backup now to it. It backed up the basic 6.something gigs fine!! I xfered over the same 9.something gig folder from one sata to the other and it copied fine!!! Holy S***!!!!

I am at a loss as to why the 9.4 kernels are working for others and not me?? Any ideas anyone? Here is the uname -a output of the kernel that is working for me;

Darwin paradigm.local 9.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Tue Feb 5 16:13:22 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.3.13~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Sorry for being so long winded, but I am pretty stoked right now that I got all 4 cores running with all my ram and my satas aren't f******* up!!!

Try the Voodoo Beta 2C kernel (it is 9.5.0) + slashack nForceATA......that is what I am using...... ;)

@ verdant

:D for some reason i cant update from kalyway 10.5.3 to 10.5.5, cant wit till my EFIX gets here, till then i gotta figure it out what im doing wrong, maybe something on my hardware does not like combo update :help:

im not mad at you verdant u helped a lot it just getting on my nerves not being able to update to 10.5.5 :P

im downloading iDeneb 10.5.5 to see if i can get from there :P , can u gimme some highlights in how to set up the installer verd? i already tried on my own ideneb 10.5.4 with no success, i know u r busy trying the new stuff that Mystic released, so no rush take ur time, ill try figure it out :(

@ verdant

:D for some reason i cant update from kalyway 10.5.3 to 10.5.5, cant wit till my EFIX gets here, till then i gotta figure it out what im doing wrong, maybe something on my hardware does not like combo update ;)

im not mad at you verdant u helped a lot it just getting on my nerves not being able to update to 10.5.5 :P

im downloading iDeneb 10.5.5 to see if i can get from there :P , can u gimme some highlights in how to set up the installer verd? i already tried on my own ideneb 10.5.4 with no success, i know u r busy trying the new stuff that Mystic released, so no rush take ur time, ill try figure it out :angel:

Firstly, confirm that everything is running OK with Kalyway 10.5.3.......how did you update from kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.3.....?

Try the Voodoo Beta 2C kernel (it is 9.5.0) + slashack nForceATA......that is what I am using...... :)

I spoke too soon... My satas disconnected earlier :-( I am beginning to think it's a 780i reference board issue... I will try the Voodoo 2c kernel. I have the slashackATA installed now.... I'll let you know how I fare... Thanks for your help verdant!

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and to the OSx86 project but after perusing the site I have still not found a solution to my problem.

So to start off this is my build:

EVGA nForce 780i SLI

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600, 4 cores, 2.4GHz stock

SATA HDD 500Gb

SATA DVD-RW

Patriot 4G memory 800Mhz 4-4-4-12

EVGA nVidia 9800GTX+ 512Mb 2.2GHz

I am trying to install Kalyway 10.5.1 and the following problems are known to occur:

(1)When i boot off the DVD sometimes it freezes at the "Preparing installation" screen. But I found out that if I let the computer cool-off a bit it will get past that part.

(2)If I manage to get to the Disk Utility part, when I try to partition the HDD I get an error something about "Partition failed: input/output error."

(3)This last one isn't anything specific but sometimes I get the notorious "you need to restart the computer screen."

If anyone has any suggestions or can give me a hand it would be greatly appreciated. If this is discussed somewhere else, please guide me there. Thank you in advance.

Cheers, Sikth

edit for current OS on the single HDD:

Currently have Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit and Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and to the OSx86 project but after perusing the site I have still not found a solution to my problem.

EVGA nForce 780i SLI

SATA HDD 500Gb

SATA DVD-RW

I am trying to install Kalyway 10.5.1 and the following problems are known to occur:

(1)When i boot off the DVD sometimes it freezes at the "Preparing installation" screen. But I found out that if I let the computer cool-off a bit it will get past that part.

(2)If I manage to get to the Disk Utility part, when I try to partition the HDD I get an error something about "Partition failed: input/output error."

(3)This last one isn't anything specific but sometimes I get the notorious "you need to restart the computer screen."

If anyone has any suggestions or can give me a hand it would be greatly appreciated. If this is discussed somewhere else, please guide me there. Thank you in advance.

Cheers, Sikth

Your main problem here is your Sata DVD, try switching to a Pata and go on from there ;)

Firstly, confirm that everything is running OK with Kalyway 10.5.3.......how did you update from kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.3.....?

1 Rigg- I downloaded kalyway 10.5.3 combo update and installed it w/o any problem. i've read that lotta people just installed the 10.5.5 update directly from apple via software update, but it seems like im not able to do that, everything is working good even my video card(well still cant get it full CI/QE)....

2nd Rigg- I have Leo4all V3 10.5.2, that i finally got the resolution to get at 1280x1024@32 :D, my onboard ethernet ports r recognized since fresh install but cant connect to internet, downloading Eno now to see if i can use them....will be back with the options i used :)

EVGA nForce 780i SLI

SATA HDD 500Gb

SATA DVD-RW

Cheers, Sikth

Also you need to boot with "cpus=1 maxmem=2048" flags, and that will elevate the lockups during the install. After install, you will need to install the slashackATA driver for the nforce. If you do a little digging, Mysticus C* made a nforce Driver installer, it has all the kexts and the kernel you need!

Let us know how you fare, I am still struggling with my sata disks, I would like to know if it's just me or if it's a reference board issue (780i, I have a xfx you have a evga, they are the exact same board). Also, what version of the bios do you have? I am on P08.....