Leopard on Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs

verdant

Installer Packages for nForce chipset MOBOs  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to Mysticus C* to enable him to continue making and updating nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO-focussed Kernel/Drivers Installer packages, Combo Updater Packages......possibly even a DVD......?

• Yes, before new and/or updated packages are released
    • Yes, after new and/or updated packages are released
    • Yes, but only after I have used the new and/or updated packages successfully on my system
    • Unsure, I may donate after I have used the new and/or updated packages successfully on my system
    • No
  2. 2. Level of Demand for Installer Packages for nForce chipset MOBOs

• Would you like it if new and/or updated installer packages for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs were to be developed by an OSx86 forum member?
    • Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to such a developer using an nForce chipset + Intel CPU nForce MOBO?
    • Would you like it if new and/or updated installer packages for nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBOs were to be developed by an OSx86 forum member?
    • Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to such a developer using an nForce chipset + AMD CPU nForce MOBO?
    • Do you have a DESKTOP nForce chipset MOBO?
    • Do you have a LAPTOP/NOTEBOOK nForce chipset MOBO?
  3. 3. Nature of donations offered

• Would you prefer to donate hardware (in good faith on the basis of trust) acceptable to the developer, to enable him/her to build a system on which to develop the installer packages?
    • Would you prefer to donate cash (in good faith on the basis of trust) to the developer to defray his/her upfront cost of acquiring a system on which to develop the installer packages?

1,138 posts in this topic

I have a wireless mouse and keyboard using a USB receiver. One question, I don't see an option for a JMicron controller anywhere in BIOS. Does this mean I don't have to worry about it?

Yes, ignore JMicron as an issue........do you have a wired USB keyboard and USB mouse to use when installing OS X......as the wireless mouse and keyboard using a USB receiver may need a driver?

Well, got to the language select screen, and the mouse and keyboard worked. I removed the USB Drive, and they worked. But then it got onto an infinite loop in preparing install. I ran -v again, and got these:

invalid frame pointer 0

BSD process name unkown

And my BIOS now completely match yours.

Well, got to the language select screen, and the mouse and keyboard worked. I removed the USB Drive, and they worked. But then it got onto an infinite loop in preparing install. I ran -v again, and got these:

invalid frame pointer 0

BSD process name unkown

And my BIOS now completely match yours.

Initially boot with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 as you do not have the slashack AppleNForceATA.kext and Voodoo Release Version kernel installed yet......

Initially boot with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 as you do not have the slashack AppleNForceATA.kext and Voodoo Release Version kernel installed yet......

Tried this and ended up with an error. Do I need a newer version of OS X86, or is there a way around missing these kexts?

Tried this and ended up with an error. Do I need a newer version of OS X86, or is there a way around missing these kexts?

Try booting the DVD with "-v nforcekernel maxmem=2048" (without quotes as you know) and let me know what happens.......

Same error. At least I know that nForce boards like mine are known to have issues...

People have success with it too......see post #202 in this thread.......so do not give up...... ;)

Is the error always

invalid frame pointer 0

BSD process name unkown

Can you post a screen shot of boot screen showing lines before and after this error......?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Kurt91/001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Kurt91/002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Kurt91/003.jpg

That screen pops up after the scrolling text, so I can't get a before shot. It then is stuck is on this screen and pressing the power button shuts down.

Try booting from Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD with "-v -x -f cpus=1 maxmem=2048 platform=ACPI|86PC -legacy debug=0x100".......

Same error. I'm thinking it might be the disc, which is bad news because my friend who downloaded it for me deleted the iso.

It may be.......I admit that I am surprised by Kalyway 10.5.2 not working as it is a distro known to work for most systems and a successful starting point for OSx86 on many systems.....

So I found this for you... Not my error, but exactly like mine. Just substitute Kalyway for his install name and this is my error:

"panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001A9387): Kernel trap at 0xffff4000, type 14=page fault, registers:

CR0: 0x0001003b, CR2: 0xffff4000, CR3: 0x01305000, CR4: 0x000006e0

EAX: 0xffffffff, EBX: 0x03c697f4, ECX: 0x0053e4f8, EDX: 0x005c0e64

CR2: 0xffff4000, EBP: 0x2845bf68, ESI: 0xffffffff, EDI: 0x0013750a

EFL: 0x00010002, EIP: 0xffff4000, CS: 0x00000000, DS: 0x00000010

Error code: 0x00000009

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x2845bd68 : 0x12b0e1 (0x457a2c 0x2845bd9c 0x1332a3 0x0)

0x2845bdb8 : 0x1a9387 (0x4616a0 0xffff4000 0xe 0x460e4c)

0x2845be98 : 0x19ef97 (0x2845beb8 0x53e000 0x0 0x0)

0x2845beb0 : 0xffff4000 (0xe 0x48 0x0 0x10)

0x2845bf68 : 0x1374e6 (0x13750a 0x0 0x91257a04 0x7)

0x2845bfc8 : 0x19ed6c (0x0 0x0 0x1a20b5 0x51z120)

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.1.0: Sat Nov 17 02:37:09 SCT 2007; made by ToH:xnu-1228.0.2-1/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386"

So I found this for you... Not my error, but exactly like mine. Just substitute Kalyway for his install name and this is my error:

"panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001A9387): Kernel trap at 0xffff4000, type 14=page fault, registers:

CR0: 0x0001003b, CR2: 0xffff4000, CR3: 0x01305000, CR4: 0x000006e0

EAX: 0xffffffff, EBX: 0x03c697f4, ECX: 0x0053e4f8, EDX: 0x005c0e64

CR2: 0xffff4000, EBP: 0x2845bf68, ESI: 0xffffffff, EDI: 0x0013750a

EFL: 0x00010002, EIP: 0xffff4000, CS: 0x00000000, DS: 0x00000010

Error code: 0x00000009

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x2845bd68 : 0x12b0e1 (0x457a2c 0x2845bd9c 0x1332a3 0x0)

0x2845bdb8 : 0x1a9387 (0x4616a0 0xffff4000 0xe 0x460e4c)

0x2845be98 : 0x19ef97 (0x2845beb8 0x53e000 0x0 0x0)

0x2845beb0 : 0xffff4000 (0xe 0x48 0x0 0x10)

0x2845bf68 : 0x1374e6 (0x13750a 0x0 0x91257a04 0x7)

0x2845bfc8 : 0x19ed6c (0x0 0x0 0x1a20b5 0x51z120)

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.1.0: Sat Nov 17 02:37:09 SCT 2007; made by ToH:xnu-1228.0.2-1/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386"

Just a thought......does your MOBO have two IDE channels, so that you can put each IDE DVD on its own IDE channel as Master......? Or if not, only have one IDE DVD connected......to see if it could be an IDE related problem?

Hey Verdant and everyone. I have posted in a few other threads but this one will be my home base for now.

I have been trying to get OSX running smoothly for the last month or 2 on my EVGA 780i. I have had successful installs with every version I have tried, but a couple issues remain. I would really love to get these worked out, and hope that they can be. I admit that I may just have to wait for the next Voodoo kernel or the next OSX release, but I will keep trying till then :(, mostly just because it is fun.

SO - I am a victim of random freezes. This issue is KILLING me, hehe. my system will always freeze, no matter what, it is just a question of when and what operation I will be performing (if any) when the freezes occur. I have tried many BIOS setting tweaks, patched DSDT and non patched, NForceATA and NForceATATest, maxmem=2048 and cpus=1, and lots of other things.

I really have tried just about everything, and these freezes persist. They can happen at any time, but are GUARANTEED to happen whenever I try to update my iTunes library. Be it the constant hard drive reads/writes, or maybe the NTFS driver (my music is on an NTFS drive), the system always freezes when iTunes does operations. I have tried MacFuse and NTFS-3G and the built-in driver and the Paragon one, to no avail.

This post is getting pretty long, I am just trying to provide details concerning this obnoxious issue. I have tried to trace the root of the freezes, but system.log shows nothing, and as I get no kernel panic I cannot see what is happening.

The mouse still works, and I can even drag windows around, but nothing responds. The screen even goes to sleep after the right amount of time, and wakes up when i move the mouse, so the system isnt REALLY frozen I guess, but apple+alt+esc and other key commands do not work. It is such a strange problem, and has me pretty well beat.

The other, more minor problem is my internet connection dropping out and not being able to reconnect, I get a "self-assigned IP" and have to reboot to regain connection. I would rather get the freeze solved, so unless someone has a quick fix for this internet thing (I have read many threads concerning this issue, and so far no solution has worked for me), lets focus on the system freezes ;).

Well, any advice or insights are welcome, thanks so much for this thread and all the help you have given me already!

Hey Verdant and everyone. I have posted in a few other threads but this one will be my home base for now.

I have been trying to get OSX running smoothly for the last month or 2 on my EVGA 780i. I have had successful installs with every version I have tried, but a couple issues remain. I would really love to get these worked out, and hope that they can be. I admit that I may just have to wait for the next Voodoo kernel or the next OSX release, but I will keep trying till then :( , mostly just because it is fun.

SO - I am a victim of random freezes. This issue is KILLING me, hehe. my system will always freeze, no matter what, it is just a question of when and what operation I will be performing (if any) when the freezes occur. I have tried many BIOS setting tweaks, patched DSDT and non patched, NForceATA and NForceATATest, maxmem=2048 and cpus=1, and lots of other things.

I really have tried just about everything, and these freezes persist. They can happen at any time, but are GUARANTEED to happen whenever I try to update my iTunes library. Be it the constant hard drive reads/writes, or maybe the NTFS driver (my music is on an NTFS drive), the system always freezes when iTunes does operations. I have tried MacFuse and NTFS-3G and the built-in driver and the Paragon one, to no avail.

This post is getting pretty long, I am just trying to provide details concerning this obnoxious issue. I have tried to trace the root of the freezes, but system.log shows nothing, and as I get no kernel panic I cannot see what is happening.

The mouse still works, and I can even drag windows around, but nothing responds. The screen even goes to sleep after the right amount of time, and wakes up when i move the mouse, so the system isnt REALLY frozen I guess, but apple+alt+esc and other key commands do not work. It is such a strange problem, and has me pretty well beat.

The other, more minor problem is my internet connection dropping out and not being able to reconnect, I get a "self-assigned IP" and have to reboot to regain connection. I would rather get the freeze solved, so unless someone has a quick fix for this internet thing (I have read many threads concerning this issue, and so far no solution has worked for me), lets focus on the system freezes :D .

Well, any advice or insights are welcome, thanks so much for this thread and all the help you have given me already!

Have you tried a different USB mouse as the Razer Copperhead Mouse is not regarded as being compatible with OS X by Razer (only the Deathadder mouse has supported OS X functionality according to Razer), or to have only limited functionality even when using SteerMouse or USBOverdrive to add extra functionality.......?

Re iTunes, have you tried setting up a new iTunes Music folder (empty) in /Users/nforcer/Music/iTunes/ and then setting your iTunes preferences to point to this folder (rather than to to the iTunes Music folder on the NTFS drive) before you update iTunes.....then resetting the preferences after the update.....?

Have you tried a different USB mouse as the Razer Copperhead Mouse is not regarded as being compatible with OS X by Razer (only the Deathadder mouse has supported OS X functionality according to Razer), or to have only limited functionality even when using SteerMouse or USBOverdrive to add extra functionality.......?

Re iTunes, have you tried setting up a new iTunes Music folder (empty) in /Users/nforcer/Music/iTunes/ and then setting your iTunes preferences to point to this folder (rather than to to the iTunes Music folder on the NTFS drive) before you update iTunes.....then resetting the preferences after the update.....?

Thanks for the reply. I have tried different settings with iTunes, and tried simply forgoing it altogether, but the machine will still crash during other operations. ITunes is just a guaranteed crash. The mouse, however, is something I havent messed with yet. I will try a different one, just in case. Thanks for the info. I will also try SteerMouse/USBOverdrive. My mouse is "recommended" by Steermouse so maybe that will help. :)

It would be easy to say the system is just unstable, but it runs Vista and Linux with zero issues, so I still think there is some incompatibility to work out. I guess others in this thread have gotten my board working just fine, so Ill start with the mouse and move from there, maybe Ill try moving the music to a different formatted partition. Thanks again, Ill report back soon.

Install the latest eno nForce LAN driver..

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=125569

MAKE SURE THAT YOU DON'T HAVE ANY OTHER nForce LAN DRIVERS!! (like forcedeth)

Go to BIOS and turn off HPET..

Boot into Mac OSX, and it might work..it worked for me after 4 months of struggling and random freezes/kernel panics...

Thanks a lot for the advice! I really appreciate it. As I dont want to add any possible issues right now, I am working off of a RTL8169 NIC. Therefore, I simply have the onboard LAN disabled. Net works fine, and I dont have to wrestle with the onboard net, as it seems hit and miss for many people.

Well, I hesitate to say everything is working properly now, because iTunes is still processing all my music, but here is an update.

I turned off Vanderpool Tech. in the BIOS.

I started with a fresh 10.5.6 install using BlackCH's release.

I installed SteerMouse and my usual software, substituting EFI strings for NVinject.

So far I have had the internet drop once, obliging me to restart. Other than that, I have not experienced any issues. I will see if iTuned can fully process without a crash, and edit this post accordingly. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Unfortunately for me, I have experienced two crashes so far. One while itunes updated album art, and one while installing software. I would say it is the NTFS drive my itunes music was on, but the symptoms were identical to the second crash which occurred without using any hard drives other than the one OSX is installed on.

These crashes manifest themselves in identical ways, the system appears to hang, and if I act quickly I can quit programs and even click restart from the apple menu, but things start to freeze one by one, until finally everything is non-responsive. It is very strange.

It takes about 10 or so seconds for the system to fully freeze, and after than only the mouse responds (I can drag windows but not interact with them) and the spinning wheel appears whenever I mouseover the menu or the desktop.

I have edited a couple BIOS settings, and I will keep testing to see if I can get rid of this problem or not.

@ ben10

Also try with c1ramp=0 in your com.apple.Boot.plist file between string below Kernel Flags..........

@ ben10

Also try with c1ramp=0 in your com.apple.Boot.plist file between string below Kernel Flags..........

So far so good! What does that command do? I havent crashed yet...hehe. I guess Ill find out over the next few days if I am good.

Fix seemed to be between c1ramp, disabling vanderpool tech. in BIOS, and SteerMouse..not actually sure if it is fixed, but so far so good...Now if I could only get my net to not drop..Actually I havent dropped yet after last reboot, but well see how long that lasts too :)

Thanks a lot verdant.

So far so good! What does that command do? I havent crashed yet...hehe. I guess Ill find out over the next few days if I am good.

Fix seemed to be between c1ramp, disabling vanderpool tech. in BIOS, and SteerMouse..not actually sure if it is fixed, but so far so good...Now if I could only get my net to not drop..Actually I havent dropped yet after last reboot, but well see how long that lasts too :lol:

Thanks a lot verdant.

Some multi-core CPUs (notably AMD Athlon X2) have issues with timestamp counter synchronization between the cores. The Voodoo kernel has a workaround which fixes this problem by disabling c1 clock ramping. Thus, c1ramp=0 (disable clock ramping), and c1ramp=1 (enable clock ramping).

Your mouse issues may be related to the E6600 dual-core perhaps having such an issue......?

Furthermore, according to eno, some Core 2 users have noted freezes/crashes when using his nForceLAN.kext driver, saying that the issue appears to be a timer bug in either the nVidia hardware or the XNU kernel, and until a proper solution can be found it is recommended that these users turn off HPET in their BIOS......

BTW I have found that Virtualisation or Vanderpool tech. being enabled or disabled has no apparent effect; I normally set it as disabled unless I need it enabled....

Glad to help..... ;)

Some multi-core CPUs (notably AMD Athlon X2) have issues with timestamp counter synchronization between the cores. The Voodoo kernel has a workaround which fixes this problem by disabling c1 clock ramping. Thus, c1ramp=0 (disable clock ramping), and c1ramp=1 (enable clock ramping).

Your mouse issues may be related to the E6600 dual-core perhaps having such an issue......?

Furthermore, according to eno, some Core 2 users have noted freezes/crashes when using his nForceLAN.kext driver, saying that the issue appears to be a timer bug in either the nVidia hardware or the XNU kernel, and until a proper solution can be found it is recommended that these users turn off HPET in their BIOS......

BTW I have found that Virtualisation or Vanderpool tech. being enabled or disabled has no apparent effect; I normally set it as disabled unless I need it enabled....

Glad to help..... :wacko:

:D Ya i have tried with HPET disabled and enabled and got the crashes with both, so I left it on. I am not using NForceLAN so I dont think it affects me.

I have been runnin smooth for a couple days now, which means if the problem isnt fixed its at least a LOT better, as I used to not last more than an hour or two at the most before freezing.

I will try re-enabling vanderpool to see if its not an issue, I was just following BIOS settings on post #202 cus he has the same motherboard as I do.

Thanks again for this amazingly helpful thread!

EDIT: I have done more testing, this seems strange but here is what I have found:

My hardware + Vanderpool Tech. + NTFS-3G driver = BAD BAD BAD . Whenever I enable vanderpool in the BIOS and try to install/transfer heavily using the NTFS-3G driver, I get freezes. If I disable the NTFS-3G driver, I dont seem to have any freezes.

If I keep using the driver, but disable Vanderpool, I dont seem to have any issues.

I dont really know if this is 100% true, the problem may lie in my hardware and the NTFS-3G driver, but without Vanderpool enabled I have not crashed using the NTFS-3G driver yet. Just my theory, I will keep testing. Thanks!

UPDATE: A week later and still the same results. NTFS-3g and Vanderpool Virtualization Tech. seem to cause random crashes when accessing data on a NTFS drive. Im not sure how limited this problem is to my setup, but seems consistent to me.

:rolleyes: Ya i have tried with HPET disabled and enabled and got the crashes with both, so I left it on. I am not using NForceLAN so I dont think it affects me.

I have been runnin smooth for a couple days now, which means if the problem isnt fixed its at least a LOT better, as I used to not last more than an hour or two at the most before freezing.

I will try re-enabling vanderpool to see if its not an issue, I was just following BIOS settings on post #202 cus he has the same motherboard as I do.

Thanks again for this amazingly helpful thread!

EDIT: I have done more testing, this seems strange but here is what I have found:

My hardware + Vanderpool Tech. + NTFS-3G driver = BAD BAD BAD . Whenever I enable vanderpool in the BIOS and try to install/transfer heavily using the NTFS-3G driver, I get freezes. If I disable the NTFS-3G driver, I dont seem to have any freezes.

If I keep using the driver, but disable Vanderpool, I dont seem to have any issues.

I dont really know if this is 100% true, the problem may lie in my hardware and the NTFS-3G driver, but without Vanderpool enabled I have not crashed using the NTFS-3G driver yet. Just my theory, I will keep testing. Thanks!

If your testing confirms that Virtualisation/Vanderpool tech + NTFS-3G driver is a bad combo that is good for readers to know......I have no experience of NTFS-3G at present because I have a shared FAT32 volume as well as TransMac on Vista........thanks for the information..... :wacko:

verdant, this my experience:

Hardware

Mobo: MSI P7N SLI (MS-7380)

Chipset: nVIDIA nForce 750i SLI

RAM: 4 GB Kingston DDR2 800Mhz

VGA: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 256MB

Sound: Realtek ALC888/1200

LAN: NVIDIA nForce On Board

Keyboard and Mouse USB

BIOS: AMI V2.

DVDRW: SATA Lite-on DVDRW LH-20A1L

HDD: SATA 500GB, IDE 80GB

iDeneb 10.5.5 install succeed, Kernel 9.4.0, I have network (nForceLAN_0.62.7.kext after installation), sound (ALC888), graphics (NVKush), but some programs do not work properly.

Panic with Parallels and VMWare Fusion

Unstable system with Toast 9 and 10(when trying burn a disc)

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @

Processor Speed: 2.40 GHz

Total Number Of Cores: 1

L2 Cache: 4 MB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL VMX EST TM2 SSSE3 CX16 TPR PDCM

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: BOOT.88Z.EFI.V80.061193037 (American Megatrends Inc.)

I tried to install nearly all the OSX86 (Leo4all, IPC OSX86 10.5.6, iATKOS 5i, JAS 10.5.4 with and without patch, Zep, Kalyway) and I just managed to boot iDeneb 10.5.5.

when trying to boot JAS 10.5.4 without patch "Still waiting for root device"

when trying to boot JAS 10.5.4 with patch "Unable to find driver for this platform"

Thanks