Leopard on Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs

verdant

Installer Packages for nForce chipset MOBOs  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to Mysticus C* to enable him to continue making and updating nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO-focussed Kernel/Drivers Installer packages, Combo Updater Packages......possibly even a DVD......?

• Yes, before new and/or updated packages are released
    • Yes, after new and/or updated packages are released
    • Yes, but only after I have used the new and/or updated packages successfully on my system
    • Unsure, I may donate after I have used the new and/or updated packages successfully on my system
    • No
  2. 2. Level of Demand for Installer Packages for nForce chipset MOBOs

• Would you like it if new and/or updated installer packages for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs were to be developed by an OSx86 forum member?
    • Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to such a developer using an nForce chipset + Intel CPU nForce MOBO?
    • Would you like it if new and/or updated installer packages for nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBOs were to be developed by an OSx86 forum member?
    • Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to such a developer using an nForce chipset + AMD CPU nForce MOBO?
    • Do you have a DESKTOP nForce chipset MOBO?
    • Do you have a LAPTOP/NOTEBOOK nForce chipset MOBO?
  3. 3. Nature of donations offered

• Would you prefer to donate hardware (in good faith on the basis of trust) acceptable to the developer, to enable him/her to build a system on which to develop the installer packages?
    • Would you prefer to donate cash (in good faith on the basis of trust) to the developer to defray his/her upfront cost of acquiring a system on which to develop the installer packages?

1,138 posts in this topic

Alright, after much frustration and restarting after disk utility crashed during formatting of the 40gb partition, I borrowed an IDE DVDRW from a friend. Interestingly Kalyway 10.5.1 still crashes during disk utility, but I was able to successfully reformat the partition in disk utility using kalyway 10.5.2 and the cpus=1 maxmem=2048 flag. Going to do some tests and try to use my SATA DVDRW with JaS 10.5.4 nforce ata patch and see what happens, if fail then I'll try kalyway 10.5.2. Something tells me that kalyway 10.5.1 is going to crash no matter what I do. I'll report back as soon as I finish testing.

Tragically, JaS 10.5.4 w/nforce ata patch and kalyway 10.5.2 on my SATA DVDRW both still give me error:

"Firewire... defaulting to full-secure"

"Still waiting for root device..."

My BIOS settings match up, I am using 1x 2GB Ram, and used the cpus=1 maxmem=2048 flag. Perhaps SATA DVDRW is impossible for my setup. Although I thought I read another post from a user with the same MOBO as me getting JaS 10.5.4 boot-patched to work on a SATA DVDRW. Sigh.

Any other ideas on how I can get the SATA drive to work, or should I just move on and use the IDE while I have it?

Can you check if the JaS DVD has been patched with the MeDevil nForceATA-Test kext or the MeDevil original nForceATA kext.....the former is better with SATA DVDRWs......

Hey Verdant, Youve seen me post in other threads and recommended I post here. Ok well this goes out to 790i users, I have Ideneb/Iatkos 10.5.5 installed fine, my problem is when I try to boot into normal mode I get a sandbox_init error and the machine will not move from there, however, if i boot with the -x flag i get into the computer fine. I heard that doing the security update fixes this problem so I did it, indeed the error goes away but the computer still dosent boot in normal mode. Well ATM I installed Ideneb and Im running latest nforce-test kext by medevil, voodoo kernel newest release. Anyone that can help me it is appreciated.

P.s, 10.5.4 works fine in normal mode and everything work, but seeing that 10.5.5 is more stable as well as many bug fixes (As seen on my real mac) I really would like this update. I just dont understand the difference between the 2 for one to work wonderfully and one to boot only in safe mode. :D

Hey Verdant, Youve seen me post in other threads and recommended I post here. Ok well this goes out to 790i users, I have Ideneb/Iatkos 10.5.5 installed fine, my problem is when I try to boot into normal mode I get a sandbox_init error and the machine will not move from there, however, if i boot with the -x flag i get into the computer fine. I heard that doing the security update fixes this problem so I did it, indeed the error goes away but the computer still dosent boot in normal mode. Well ATM I installed Ideneb and Im running latest nforce-test kext by medevil, voodoo kernel newest release. Anyone that can help me it is appreciated.

P.s, 10.5.4 works fine in normal mode and everything work, but seeing that 10.5.5 is more stable as well as many bug fixes (As seen on my real mac) I really would like this update. I just dont understand the difference between the 2 for one to work wonderfully and one to boot only in safe mode. :D

Try the following: (press Enter after each command line entry)

Boot with -s

mount -uw /

cd /System/Library/Extensions

rm Extensions.mkext

chown -R root:wheel Extensions

chmod -R go-w Extensions

exit

Using 755 instead of go-w makes file unnecessarily executable but it still works, and you can also use 0:0 instead of root:wheel)

You can also try booting with -s and typing

mount -uw /

vsdbutil -c /Volumes/"Your OS X HDD volume name in quotes"/

exit

I used the nforce ATA ppf patch that you provided in post #35. Is that correct or do I need to patch again?

That is Mysticus C*'s ppf patch......I have yet to check if it injects the nForce-Test kext or the original.....

Close but no cigar, Computer still hangs, So far last entry before hangup is:

"IOKITWAITQUIET() timed out waiting to write kernel symbols"

"AppleNforceATA: Found 0 units"

I tried both sets of commands and I don't know what is causing this deadful lockup when it boots in safemode! Thanks for all your help so far I can see the computer WANT to boot but something is holding it back. I do see an ingenious solution though because so fair its baby steps =).

i can never get qe/ci to work. i have a msi p7n diamond mobo and an xfx 8800gt 512mb gpu. my installation went fine and i successfully updated to 10.5.5

test 1:

during boot (in verbose mode) i notice that nvdanv30hal and nvdanv50hal is loaded. since my card is an 8800gt it should only load nvdanv50hal.kext. is that a problem?

test 2:

i removed all the nvidia kext except geforce.kext, nvdanv50hal.kext and nvdaresman.kext. used almost all the injectors and even tried efi string but after the gray screen, my monitor will not have a signal, it remains black.

btw: i made my own hd installation with patched kexts found in this forum

Close but no cigar, Computer still hangs, So far last entry before hangup is:

"IOKITWAITQUIET() timed out waiting to write kernel symbols"

"AppleNforceATA: Found 0 units"

I tried both sets of commands and I don't know what is causing this deadful lockup when it boots in safemode! Thanks for all your help so far I can see the computer WANT to boot but something is holding it back. I do see an ingenious solution though because so fair its baby steps =).

I assume your BIOS settings are correct ......and that your OS X volume is partitioned as MBR (causes fewer issues than GPT for most people).......and that if you have an IDE DVDRW it is set as Master and any IDE (PATA) HDD as Slave......if so, try temporarily disconnecting the 2 SATA DVDRWs......

I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT.. I figured It out by playing with settings in safe boot, I will tell all how i did it hopefully can be added to the guide cause this board is a {censored}. Gonna try and do 10.5.6 Now also. Call me unpleased but I figure If i mess up I know how to fix now so no big deal, Will post my results shortly =).

P.s- My Video card is unsupported atm, Is there any way to fix the resolution to smaller, Preferably my windows Resolution which is 1280x1080? Should I use EFI Strings?

I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT.. I figured It out by playing with settings in safe boot, I will tell all how i did it hopefully can be added to the guide cause this board is a {censored}. Gonna try and do 10.5.6 Now also. Call me unpleased but I figure If i mess up I know how to fix now so no big deal, Will post my results shortly =).

P.s- My Video card is unsupported atm, Is there any way to fix the resolution to smaller, Preferably my windows Resolution which is 1280x1080? Should I use EFI Strings?

Good for you...... :D Your success will help other 790i MOBO owners.

Re EVGA GTX280 GFX card.....AFIK Snow Leopard will have drivers but drivers not compatible with Leopard and Open GL framework likely different too.......glad to be proven wrong on this...... :D

At present run in VESA mode (by deleting all Ge*.kexts and NV*.kexts.....showing no kext loaded in System Profiler under Graphics/Displays) and try "Graphics Mode"="1280x1080x32@60" mode between <string></string> line below <key>Kernel Flags</key> in com.apple.Boot.plist.

So everyone knows the board did not want to boot with the NV*.kext files in place,I had to remove them In order for the machine to boot properly. Could be motherboard related/video card related but Hey it worked. I came across them when I saw NVHAL30 trying to load and I remember that things like this can hose it up (Mis-match video) Now that 10.5.6 my efforts have come to waste =(. The good news is the update went off without a hitch and boots up no-problem however, there is a BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD window lag, Almost like when windows freezes or your doing alot and you drag your window around and it makes the same window times 349859034850934905809345.... I'm not the only one with the problem and this board, So if anyone knows anything about this or what to try I will be more then glad to do it as there is a whole new problem aboard with this motherboard =P. Some information on this, some say its not related to EFI rather the SATA controller Driver, Any light shed is (once again and always) wonderfully accepted =).

So everyone knows the board did not want to boot with the NV*.kext files in place,I had to remove them In order for the machine to boot properly. Could be motherboard related/video card related but Hey it worked. I came across them when I saw NVHAL30 trying to load and I remember that things like this can hose it up (Mis-match video) Now that 10.5.6 my efforts have come to waste =(. The good news is the update went off without a hitch and boots up no-problem however, there is a BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD window lag, Almost like when windows freezes or your doing alot and you drag your window around and it makes the same window times 349859034850934905809345.... I'm not the only one with the problem and this board, So if anyone knows anything about this or what to try I will be more then glad to do it as there is a whole new problem aboard with this motherboard =P. Some information on this, some say its not related to EFI rather the SATA controller Driver, Any light shed is (once again and always) wonderfully accepted =).

With your 10.5.6 system are you using slashack nForceATA and Voodoo Release v1.0 kernel.....? Also, are you using Chameleon with DSDT override or PC_EFI v9.....?

i can never get qe/ci to work. i have a msi p7n diamond mobo and an xfx 8800gt 512mb gpu. my installation went fine and i successfully updated to 10.5.5

test 1:

during boot (in verbose mode) i notice that nvdanv30hal and nvdanv50hal is loaded. since my card is an 8800gt it should only load nvdanv50hal.kext. is that a problem?

test 2:

i removed all the nvidia kext except geforce.kext, nvdanv50hal.kext and nvdaresman.kext. used almost all the injectors and even tried efi string but after the gray screen, my monitor will not have a signal, it remains black.

btw: i made my own hd installation with patched kexts found in this forum

1. After rebooting by typing -s at the boot: prompt and waiting for the prompt

:/ root# to appear, type each of the following lines, followed by Enter and then waiting for :/ root# to re-appear:

mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Ge*.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NV*.kext

followed finally by exit.

"logout" will then appear on screen followed by "Jettisoning kernel linker" and the rest of the verbose booting screen, resulting in successful booting into the OS X Welcome screen and music.....

2. The System Profiler shows under Graphics/Displays, 1024x768 resolution 32-bit Color depth and 32MB VRAM with Software Driven CI and QE Not Supported, and against Kernel Extension Info: No kext loaded

3. Run DiaboliK's NVidia Kext Installer......

4. Then run the Mysticus nForce Drivers Installer Package for NVdarwin (see post #1 in this thread)......to see if that gives you working CI/QE video.....for switchable resolutions on-the-fly, try swapping the monitor DVI or VGA (via VGA-to-DVI adapter) connector to the other DVI port on the GFX card.....

If NVdarwin does not give you working video then see here......or here.....

Yes I am using slashdot's ATA controller/Final release Of voodoo and Pc_efi v9 with the dsdt override. The computer boots all is good but there are obviously problems as it wouldent be an nforce board without them =P.

Problems:

Mounting DMG's crash machine

USB's work when they want. (Tend to not then do)

Window Lag.

USB Devices sometimes kernel panic machine.

Your advice fixed my resolution btw thanks...

Also I have a backup of my extentions from 10.5.5 which were all good and working, So I can copy over w.e... I tried copying Seatbelt already still problems.

Thanks for all the help everyone =). Right now I am having three main issues, which are preventing me from using my hackintosh much. I have XxX 10.5.5 installed on my EVGA 780i with HDAEnabler and alcinject using the alc888 driver. My ethernet is a netgear ga311 card using PCIRTL8169 kext.

Basically, when I first boot, everything works great. I have sound and internet at full speed. As I use the computer though, both seem to degrade. My first problem is that the sound will start to develop artifacts and get scratchy and then die all together. The volume controls then become super laggy and also dont work properly.

The second problem is the internet works perfectly at first, then after a while, without any sort of consistency, it will just kind of poop out and I cant get it to reconnect. I get a "self-assigned IP" and no connection.

The third is more general and possibly harder to diagnose, as occaisionally for no specific reason the whole system will hang and give me a spinning cursor and not respond to anything, the mouse will still move, but I cannot do a single thing and am forced to hard reboot.

Upon reboot, the system once again works fine, but only for a bit.

I have tried different fixes for all of the above issues, many different BIOS settings, and cant seem to come up with a solution for any of them. The ethernet and sound are the biggest issues, as the full system crash only comes about rarely. I would love any info or links people have found on these things.

I have a core2duo and 4gb of ram, which are all detected and seem ok. my 8800gt graphics card seems to work perfect with PCI strings installed.

I have the DSDT patch on chameleon from the ppf2 XxX 10.5.5 install DVD.

I am going to try to upgrade to 10.5.6 just for giggles as things dont work properly on this install anyways and see what happens.

EDIT: So 10.5.6 wasnt installing, i just reinstalled 10.5.5, this time using Azalia audio because that is my chipset..sound isnt working with azalia, so I am going to go back to alc888. I have a fresh install though and before updating audio I am going to try 10.5.6 again. I have the dsdt patch so hopefully it works, Ill report back

Hi

Got the initial install working fine, but no network (or [proper] graphics drivers).

After doing the updates -

KalywayUpdCombo10.5.2.pkg

Full_Gfx_Update_v1.1

nForce_Drivers_v1.2.mpkg

when I run any application, the mouse freezes and I have to push the big red button & turn off.

I know this is going to be a difficult one to diagnose.......

Hi there, your post is in the wrong thread......this is the Series 7 nVidia nForce MCP thread......please repost your post in my Pre-Series 7 thread, then delete this post here and I will try to help you...... :D

Sooo, I have a kind of tough problem that I would love to get help diagnosing. I have tried to find the issue on my own, but am having no luck so far.

Basically, in any hard drive read/write heavy situation, my system has a good chance of freezing and giving me the spinning wheel.

No KP, no errors, simply frozen. Windows respond for a minute, then, although I can still move the mouse, I cannot interact with anything on the screen. I have to hard reboot. I have tried a couple different distros, (iAtkos and XxX) many versions of drivers, and the problem remains.

I get these freezes when installing large programs, adding music to itunes, moving files around, and similar operations. Sometimes the system hangs within seconds of an operation starting, sometimes it takes longer, sometimes (rarely) it doesnt freeze.

This problem has me baffled, as I get no feedback from my system as to where the problem is originating from, but as it freezes during hard drive operations, it seems as though my hardware and possibly the NForceATA kext or the Voodoo 1.0 kernel arent friendly.

I have tried both NforceATA and NforceATATest, with and without HPET, with and without patched DSDT, with and without CPU overclocked, with and without cpus=1 and maxmem=2048 and a number of other tweaks and techniques, all with the same dismal result.

I have had some really good success with 10.5.5, and have gotten Steam games, 3d applications, video, everything running top notch. These system hangs are my biggest issue. Any advice on diagnostics or troubleshooting would be welcome, thanks so much.

Sooo, I have a kind of tough problem that I would love to get help diagnosing. I have tried to find the issue on my own, but am having no luck so far.

Basically, in any hard drive read/write heavy situation, my system has a good chance of freezing and giving me the spinning wheel.

No KP, no errors, simply frozen. Windows respond for a minute, then, although I can still move the mouse, I cannot interact with anything on the screen. I have to hard reboot. I have tried a couple different distros, (iAtkos and XxX) many versions of drivers, and the problem remains.

I get these freezes when installing large programs, adding music to itunes, moving files around, and similar operations. Sometimes the system hangs within seconds of an operation starting, sometimes it takes longer, sometimes (rarely) it doesnt freeze.

This problem has me baffled, as I get no feedback from my system as to where the problem is originating from, but as it freezes during hard drive operations, it seems as though my hardware and possibly the NForceATA kext or the Voodoo 1.0 kernel arent friendly.

I have tried both NforceATA and NforceATATest, with and without HPET, with and without patched DSDT, with and without CPU overclocked, with and without cpus=1 and maxmem=2048 and a number of other tweaks and techniques, all with the same dismal result.

I have had some really good success with 10.5.5, and have gotten Steam games, 3d applications, video, everything running top notch. These system hangs are my biggest issue. Any advice on diagnostics or troubleshooting would be welcome, thanks so much.

Are you using a USB keyboard and USB mouse?

I presume you have checked your BIOS settings against 780i settings in post #1 of this thread......

Re your Seagate 500GB HDD, I do not know if it applies to your HDD but see here....

Yea I checked the BIOS settings, USB keyboard and mouse...I havent looked into firmware updates, maybe I should. hmmm..

I think what I will do next is try the Kalyway 10.5.2 install and see if I get the same issues with that kernel and setup.

EDIT: OK, 10.5.6 worked fine, but still getting random system hangs and internet drops =P . A lot of the hangs happen when using itunes, not sure if this is root of problem. I am going to try to NOT update itunes to 8.xx this time, just to see.

News Update: Successful clean system installation and subsequent operation of Leopard 10.5.6 on External eSATA HDD OS X volume partitioned as MBR connected to my system ......see my blog entry.....Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus (nForce 650i) + Q6600 running full CI/QE, USB 2.0, audio, networking (RTL8169 NIC), eSATA, and Firewire 400 (IEEE1394a) operation...... with subsequent manual installation of slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext for 6GB RAM operation..... :)

This success bodes well for Mysticus C* next surprise for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOS..... ;)

Sorry for no sig yet, but I get an error when trying to edit it for some reason...

Anyway, specs: XFX 780i

Vista Home Premium 64 bit

CPU: Intel Q9450 2.6 Ghz

RAM: 6 GB PC2-6400 800mhz

HDD SATA-500 GB

DVD: Both USB and IDE DVD

um, default sound and LAN drivers, although LAN is disabled via BIOS

USB Wireless Mouse and Keyboard

You may have read my other post, but here are my problems:

Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD boots fine without any boot commands from Darwin, then freezes at different spots in the install.

iAtkos DVD won't boot, any command given to boot results in instant reboot.

So, I don't have any OS Xs installed. I'll try to get pictures of my BIOS up tomorrow. I've tried with the IDE connected and not connected, same results. Any idea?

Sooo... I booted(Kalyway 10.5.2) using the line "cpus=1 maxmem=2048 -v" and it ran through it and booted up. However, it froze on the language selection screen. Ugh. And, every time I boot now, it gets to the language selection screen and freezes. At least I'm moving forward past the apple logo every time. And before I did all this, I pulled out 4 GB of ram, so it now has only 2 GB. And, I wrote down some errors from -v for you:

0xe00002c9

Failed to count files

coreRaidserver not responding

Mach communication failed(error 2301)

There were more, but I couldn't write them down in time. I hope this helps you help me :D

Sorry to keep posting, but new discovery about the language screen. I lose my USB mouse and keyboard. It's weird because this hasn't happened before and they're enabled in the BIOS. So now I can at least consistently get into install, but I don't have a mouse or keyboard. I've read enabling the LAN might help... I don't know how, but I'll give it a shot.

Sooo... I booted(Kalyway 10.5.2) using the line "cpus=1 maxmem=2048 -v" and it ran through it and booted up. However, it froze on the language selection screen. Ugh. And, every time I boot now, it gets to the language selection screen and freezes. At least I'm moving forward past the apple logo every time. And before I did all this, I pulled out 4 GB of ram, so it now has only 2 GB. And, I wrote down some errors from -v for you:

0xe00002c9

Failed to count files

coreRaidserver not responding

Mach communication failed(error 2301)

There were more, but I couldn't write them down in time. I hope this helps you help me :)

Sorry to keep posting, but new discovery about the language screen. I lose my USB mouse and keyboard. It's weird because this hasn't happened before and they're enabled in the BIOS. So now I can at least consistently get into install, but I don't have a mouse or keyboard. I've read enabling the LAN might help... I don't know how, but I'll give it a shot.

Have you checked all the BIOS settings against my 780i template........make sure you are connected to LAN.........enable onboard LAN........enable all USB BIOS settings......also enable HPET.......try with Firewire disabled initially.......see post #1 in this thread........ :)

Forgot to mention that... I have all the options exactly as your BIOS are set. I'll try again and see what happens.

No worries.......just a thought.....are you using a USB mouse and a USB keyboard? .......mixed USB & PS/2 (or PS/2 and USB) is not good, while PS/2 & PS/2 can be problematic.....