Leopard on Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs

verdant

Installer Packages for nForce chipset MOBOs  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to Mysticus C* to enable him to continue making and updating nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO-focussed Kernel/Drivers Installer packages, Combo Updater Packages......possibly even a DVD......?

• Yes, before new and/or updated packages are released
    • Yes, after new and/or updated packages are released
    • Yes, but only after I have used the new and/or updated packages successfully on my system
    • Unsure, I may donate after I have used the new and/or updated packages successfully on my system
    • No
  2. 2. Level of Demand for Installer Packages for nForce chipset MOBOs

• Would you like it if new and/or updated installer packages for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs were to be developed by an OSx86 forum member?
    • Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to such a developer using an nForce chipset + Intel CPU nForce MOBO?
    • Would you like it if new and/or updated installer packages for nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBOs were to be developed by an OSx86 forum member?
    • Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to such a developer using an nForce chipset + AMD CPU nForce MOBO?
    • Do you have a DESKTOP nForce chipset MOBO?
    • Do you have a LAPTOP/NOTEBOOK nForce chipset MOBO?
  3. 3. Nature of donations offered

• Would you prefer to donate hardware (in good faith on the basis of trust) acceptable to the developer, to enable him/her to build a system on which to develop the installer packages?
    • Would you prefer to donate cash (in good faith on the basis of trust) to the developer to defray his/her upfront cost of acquiring a system on which to develop the installer packages?

1,138 posts in this topic

I think I totally messed up my installation, which is fine...

I followed the steps to get my native resolution to work and not I cannot boot to the desktop...

Can anyone point me to an easier way to get my sound working and how to get 1680 x 1050 working as well...

What is CI/QE?...

:)

1. Which steps did you follow.......what happens now when you boot up?

2. The Azalia download link is for an installer package that you just double-click on to run.......cannot get easier than this.....

3. CI is Core Image - for best video performance it should be hardware accelerated............QE as has been said is Quartz Extreme and this should be Supported.......this is what is meant by full CI/QE via video driver.....

4. To get 1680 x 1050 working more information is needed on what you did in terms of installing kexts/EFI strings etc......I cannot, I repeat again, help without more details from you regarding error messages, full descriptions of what you did etc......

Regarding you your initially fine installation, please give full details of your procedure for installing etc. ....for example which distro did you boot and install from, did you go via IDE HDD and DVDRW or what, did you have IEEE394 enabled in BIOS before, during and after installation and successful booting from the HDD.... such information will really help others readers of this thread with the same MOBO....thanks.....:)

QE is Quartz Extreme...forgot what CI is...Anyway, you need them to fully use your video card, for instance with a video editing program, or the cover flow view in iTunes;)

Did you try nVinject or NVkush?

Thanks for the reply, Im really new to everything here, I barely understood how to edit the plist and all that...

How do I try nVinject or nVkush?...

I have a 9800GTX 512mb...

Thanks for the reply, Im really new to everything here, I barely understood how to edit the plist and all that...

How do I try nVinject or nVkush?...

I have a 9800GTX 512mb...

I understand that......that is why I ask for more detail from you.......

nVkush and Nvinject do not work or work well with 9800GTX......

So first steps first.......do you NOW have your system running as initially installed without audio and video drivers but LAN via Apple USB Ethernet...? Please answer.....

Successful install with Kalyway 10.5.2:

Specs:

EVGA 780i Mobo SLI

Q9450 3.2gHz C2Q

4gb 800mHz Ram (3gb in plist)

3 x SATA HDD

1 SATA DVDRW

1 PATA DVDRom

9800 GTX 512mb

Before installation I removed 3gb of Ram and booted up with one stick of 1gb Ram. This seemed to go a lot smoother...

Also I modified my BIOS according to Verdants BIOS document on post #1 of this thread...

Firewire is disabled in BIOS

MAC01 is enabled because I still boot to VISTA and the Apple USB Adapter does not work in Windows...

1. Booted with Kalyway 10.5.2. AMD_Intel

2. Darwin Loader = booted with "cpus=1 maxmem=1064 -v" (w/out quotes)

3. Booted up to installation page and ran disk utility (Used the PATA DVDRom)

4. Erased the partition for OS X and formatted for HSF extended. (Installed OS X on a single SATA 80gb HDD: No Partitions) FYI: I originally had 1 SATA drive plugged in for installation and then plugged the 2 other SATA drives in after.

5. Customized the install according to "Verdant's" choices in post #54

6. Install complete! and restarted

7. Booted up in HDD and used "-v -f" at Darwin Loader

8. In OS X, modified the com.apple.Boot.plist to maxmem=3gb ram and saved it...

9. Installed the rest of my RAM for a total of 4gb RAM

10. Booted up to OS X without any problem!

Lan working with Apple USB Ethernet Adapter

Problems:

Still working on video and sound.... (currently I think I messed up my installation and need to reinstall)

@verdant - I'm just going to reinstall, but is there an easier way to get my resolution work on 1680 x 1050 without having to modify my plist?

:(

Successful install with Kalyway 10.5.2:

Specs:

EVGA 780i Mobo SLI

Q9450 3.2gHz C2Q

4gb 800mHz Ram (3gb in plist)

3 x SATA HDD

1 SATA DVDRW

1 PATA DVDRom

9800 GTX 512mb

Before installation I removed 3gb of Ram and booted up with one stick of 1gb Ram. This seemed to go a lot smoother. That is good to know

1. Booted with Kalyway 10.5.2. AMD_Intel

2. Darwin Loader = booted with "cpus=1 maxmem=1064 -v" (w/out quotes)

3. Booted up to installation page and ran disk utility From PATA DVDROM or SATA DVDRW?

4. Erased the partition for OS X and formatted for HSF extended. On the first volume on a SATA HDD, or on a subsequent volume? And on the install HDD is OS X the only operating system installed on it?

5. Customized the install according to "Verdant's" choices in post #54

6. Install complete! and restarted

7. Booted up in HDD and used "-v -f" at Darwin Loader

8. In OS X, modified the com.apple.Boot.plist to maxmem=3gb ram and saved it...

9. Installed the rest of my RAM for a total of 4gb RAM

10. Booted up to OS X without any problem! Great..... :huh:

Problems:

Still working on video and sound.... (currently I think I messed up my installation and need to reinstall) So, your Apple USB Ethernet is connected and gave no problems connecting to the internet?

@verdant - I'm just going to reinstall, but is there an easier way to get my resolution work on 1680 x 1050 without having to modify my plist?

:D

Thanks a lot for that clear summary of your install procedure...... :) See my further questions in blue......

1. Now, what BIOS settings did you use and did you have IEEE394 and onboard LAN enabled or disabled in the BIOS?

2. Please reinstall first following steps 1. to 10. and then check in System Profiler and report back here what is displayed under Graphics/Displays, Audio, USB and Firewire.....

3. If everything looks OK when you report back here with answers to the blue questions I can start to "walk you through" the audio and video setups.......as I want to help you...... :)

Anyone

This one is turning out to be a "toughie".......as you say, you have tried

1) ENO kext with onboard LAN

2) Apple USB Ethernet

3) RT8169 PCI NIC

all of which are routed via the the MCP51 South Bridge chipset......to understand more see here and here.....whereas the IEEE394a i.e. Firewire ports are controlled by a VIA 6308P controller chipset......so don't expect it to interfere with the MCP51 South Bridge chipset but since networking over Firewire is possible (just as with USB) it may do........so if you do not use the IEEE394 port then try disabling in BIOS to see if it makes any difference......... ;)

This one is turning out to be a "toughie".......as you say, you have tried

1) ENO kext with onboard LAN

2) Apple USB Ethernet

3) RT8169 PCI NIC

all of which are routed via the the MCP51 South Bridge chipset......to understand more see here and here.....whereas the IEEE394a i.e. Firewire ports are controlled by a VIA 6308P controller chipset......so don't expect it to interfere with the MCP51 South Bridge chipset but since networking over Firewire is possible (just as with USB) it may do........so if you do not use the IEEE394 port then try disabling in BIOS to see if it makes any difference......... ;)

Apple USB Ethernet should be USB WiFi, but it's the same I guess...I'll disable the IEEE394a, what is it anyway?

Thanks a lot for that clear summary of your install procedure...... :) See my further questions in blue......

1. Now, what BIOS settings did you use and did you have IEEE394 and onboard LAN enabled or disabled in the BIOS?

2. Please reinstall first following steps 1. to 10. and then check in System Profiler and report back here what is displayed under Graphics/Displays, Audio, USB and Firewire.....

3. If everything looks OK when you report back here with answers to the blue questions I can start to "walk you through" the audio and video setups.......as I want to help you...... :)

@Verdant

I edited the original post to answer your questions in blue.

IEEE394 (Firewire) is DISABLED

ONBOARD LAN (MAC01) is ENABLED because I still boot with VISTA and the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter doesnt work with windows.

I will reinstall later today, currently I am at work...

Maybe typing out a quick HOW-TO guide for video would be great! I would really appreciate it! (Thats only if you have time :angel: ...)

Thanks for everything Verdant!! :D

Apple USB Ethernet should be USB WiFi, but it's the same I guess...I'll disable the IEEE394a, what is it anyway?

Sorry my mistake re USB.....I was busy with ajgarcia's setup...... IEEE1394(a) is the same as Firewire 400.....with a claimed data transfer rate of up to 400 megabits per second (a technology developed by Apple) with lower CPU loading than USB, simplified cabling, hot swapping, and with IEEE1394b (Firewire 800) transfer speeds of up to 800 megabits per second (on machines that support 1394b)......typically used for video transfer from digicams to HDDs.

@Verdant

I edited the original post to answer your questions in blue.

IEEE394 (Firewire) is DISABLED

ONBOARD LAN (MAC01) is ENABLED because I still boot with VISTA and the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter doesnt work with windows.

I will reinstall later today, currently I am at work...

Maybe typing out a quick HOW-TO guide for video would be great! I would really appreciate it! (Thats only if you have time :) ...)

Thanks for everything Verdant!! :D

Have you been able to reinstall yet.....? If IEEE1394 is [Enabled] in BIOS are you able to boot off the DVD and install OS X......?

I disabled IEEE1394 (FireWire) but I still got a kernel panic after an hour...What else can I possibly do?? :S

Very frustrating and confusing...

At this point I can only think of booting with "cpus=1 maxmem=2048" when torrenting......sorry.... :(

It's NOT only torrenting...Same thing happened when I used USB WiFi and onboad LAN just surfing the web...

Ahh well...I guess this is it for me...

Real bummer.......what about RTL8169 NIC?........does booting with cpus=1 maxmem=2048 make any difference?

Does not using "DCHP" but "Using DCHP with Manual address" or "Manually" make any difference?

@verdant

I have no problem now with the installation of OS X. I DISABLED IEEE394 because it was in your guide to do so.

I just want to know how to get my installation to work with 1680x1050 resolution!

Thanks!

OK what does System Profiler show under Graphics/Displays.....

Unfortunately not able to wait for you to reply, so assuming you have no NVinject or NVkush or Natit or Titan kexts installed in System/Library/Extensions, download OSx86Tools Utility and add EFI string to your com.apple.Boot.plist by clicking on "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag", ........in Pop-up window that appears, click on GFX Strings icon in top menu bar and in GFX String Creator under "Graphics card:" choose NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX 512MB, click on Import String to Boot Editor icon in top menu bar, and in pop-up Boot Editor window that appears.......check in 6 boxes that you have:

LH Top Box: maxmem=3072 -f

LH Middle Box: 1600x1050x32

RH Top Box: 5

RH Check Box: (Quiet Boot Enabled?) Empty

Bottom Full Width Box: Populated with imported hexadecimal EFI string for your video card

Click on "Apply changes to com.apple.Boot.plist" button.......then exit OSx86Tools and reboot with -v.........hopefully you will have the 1600x1050x32.......cannot guarantee you will have full CI/QE.....

If this does not work for you, you will need to boot in safe mode (-x -v), delete the hexadecimal EFI string for your video card from com.apple.Boot.plist, then follow the manual EFI String install procedure after Aqua-Mac found here......

For audio, use the Azalia Audio installer......link given in earlier post......

Hope it all works....... :(

I have tried to install the jas 10.5.4 patched with mysticus onto my system with no success it still says still waiting for root device. Is there something I should be changing in my bios settings? I left them as default when I installed leo4allv3 with success but I would really like to install 10.5.4. If anyone knows or has a striker 2 nse board please help! I just wish I could use the drivers with leo4allv3 to install jas w/myst if anyone can do this I think it would really help us wth these chipsets it just blows that we have some great chipsets but we cant install jas or ideneb.

If I cannot get help on this issue. Can I just update straight to 10.5.5 from 10.5.2? Or do I have to go 10.5.2---->10.5.3---->10.5.4----->10.5.5. I can install leo4allv3 and boot so can I just install the update and select a new kernel settings etc? I could care less if I dont use a different distro to install if I could just update that would be great im just so sick of burning cds that will not install I just want a stable system dammit :)

I have tried to install the jas 10.5.4 patched with mysticus onto my system with no success it still says still waiting for root device. Is there something I should be changing in my bios settings? I left them as default when I installed leo4allv3 with success but I would really like to install 10.5.4. If anyone knows or has a striker 2 nse board please help! I just wish I could use the drivers with leo4allv3 to install jas w/myst if anyone can do this I think it would really help us wth these chipsets it just blows that we have some great chipsets but we cant install jas or ideneb.

1) Check your BIOS settings against my BIOS template in post #1.......if your settings match those for 790i including the IEEE1394 Controller set to [Auto], then set it to [Disabled] and try rebooting.....if you can now boot from DVD successfully and install OS X, then you can reset it to [Auto] again.....

2) You have a SATA DVDRW and SATA HDD but I am not sure if the Mysticus C* ppf patch used the AppleNForceATA.kext or the AppleNForceATA-Test kext......you could follow my Option B in my Jas 10.5.4 blog entry to inject the AppleNForceATA-Test.kext into the JaS 10.5.4 .iso file and burn a second DVD.....

Thanks, I will give the option B a try and let you know.

Have you previously managed to get Kalyway 10.5.2 up and running on your MOBO......if not I suggest you do that first to sort out any basic issues with BIOS, video, audio, LAN etc., then you can update to 10.5.5 using Mysticus C* updater...... :P Also set up 3 volumes on your OS X HDD if you can afford the space, starting with a basic 10.5.2 OS X system in the first volume with cpus=1 maxmem=2048 set in com.apple.Boot.plist.......this way you will never be troubled with booting to that HDD......you erase and format and reinstall OS X on you Main and Backup OS X systems on the 2nd and 3rd volumes on the HDD..... :)

a nooby question bout nvkush... do u install first nvidia kext installer or nvksuh installer for nvidia cards :(

i decided to give it a try to kalyway 10.5.2 since most of us r usint it and since i cant get past thru the friggin sandbox-init error. Followed aj steps but i did enabled firewire

a nooby question bout nvkush... do u install first nvidia kext installer or nvksuh installer for nvidia cards :(

i decided to give it a try to kalyway 10.5.2 since most of us r usint it and since i cant get past thru the friggin sandbox-init error. Followed aj steps but i did enabled firewire

No they are not both needed.......just run NVkush on its own....

Glad you enabled Firewire as I am trying it see if it is in fact always necessary to disable IEEE1394 (Firewire) in the BIOS in order to boot up and install OS X onto the HDD from the OSx86 DVD on EVGA or other 780i MOBOs......

So can you confirm definitely that you are able to to boot up and install OS X onto the HDD from the Kalyway 10.5.2 OSx86 DVD on your EVGA 780i MOBO with IEEE1394 [Enabled] in BIOS......?

Glad you enabled Firewire as I am trying it see if it is in fact always necessary to disable IEEE1394 (Firewire) in the BIOS in order to boot up and install OS X onto the HDD from the OSx86 DVD on EVGA or other 780i MOBOs......

So can you confirm definitely that you are able to to boot up and install OS X onto the HDD from the Kalyway 10.5.2 OSx86 DVD on your EVGA 780i MOBO with IEEE1394 [Enabled] in BIOS......?

yes it is enabled!!! i was playing with the combo to see if i could get my video working but i got a crash right after it finished installing the 2nd step... so i just need to run the nvkush?! no need of writing anything to plist?

btw this is my VC

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?...Series%20Family

i dont know if it will help u help me in any way :) , but any help is really appreciated :)

maybe this was my problem... i installed both of 'em :P

yes it is enabled!!! i was playing with the combo to see if i could get my video working but i got a crash right after it finished installing the 2nd step... so i just need to run the nvkush?! no need of writing anything to plist?

Not for your GFX card as it has been around for a while.....although you can use EFI strings instead.......

You need to check in System/Library/Extensions for NVinject.kext......if present remove it.....but keep NVDANV50HAL.kext, NVDAResman.kext......then reboot -v -f and run NVkush again......if you have problems I will try to help later when I return from work...... :)