10.5.5 update?

pritthish

114 posts in this topic

Running Vanilla Kernel with PC EFI v8 (originally was a Kalyway 10.5.2 install); Software Update to 10.5.5 temporarily hosed my system but was back up and running in 5 minutes using terminal from the install DVD and typing:

cd /Volumes/SYSTEM (my MacOS volume)

cd /System/Library/Extensions

rm -rf AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

did a reboot, update did it's thing and I booted into 10.5.5; spent an hour restoring custom kexts and testing and all is working well (would have taken less time if i'd thought to put the x1800xt PCI ID in ATIRadeonX1000.kext). Didn't have to mess with the dsmos.kext thing at all, everything works well (Finder, Expose, Dashboard, etc.) - Installing via SW Update and deleting one kext via terminal didn't seem like much work, although the instant KP as soon as the kext is copied is alarming at first.

I installed OSX86 to learn a bit about Mac OS, and a bit about UNIX; so this installation 'problem' was actually something I was hoping for (tried the update on my DEV Hackintosh first) as I wanted to see how easily it'd be recovered. For my PROD machine, I may wait for a bit and see how my DEV machine holds up over a couple of days.

Is there a new kernel?

Yup. Darwin 9.5.0

GA-EP35-DS3L based system - made an image of my Kalyway 10.5.2 -> 10.5.4 system. Backed up system.kext, mach_kernel (speedstepkernel), SMBIOS v27 - 1066.

I setup at a ROOT prompt (sudo -s)

while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done

^^^YOU DO NOT DO THIS, YOU LOSE. OSX loads the new .kext the second it is in the Extensions folder, which panics and dies. Just do the above and no worries.

I then let the Combo Update loose. It updated and reboot, then rebooted again. I booted into a -s prompt, put my stuff above back, put my 6800gs back in the NVDANV40HAL.kext list, and rebooted.

All was good, all is working. I am running on the 9.2.0 speedstepkernel and System.kext until I see what 9.5.0 will do.

USB hotplug works, EyeTV works, copy speed good, didn't need to re-add my Broadcom wifi to the plist.

Maybe I just got lucky.

WoW, updated my desk top (see sig) to 10.5.5, system using software update, and all went fine this time.

System rebooted, and then rebooted again

Here is the wow part

The system loads, and boots fine, wallpaper comes up, but nothing else. I have mouse pointer, it will move as normal

I booted with -f then -x

The system works fine in safe boot (-x)

I did remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.....so that is not it

after booting with -x, I have same issue, but spinning beach ball.

Any ideas?......some help would be nice on this one

Kenny

WoW, updated my desk top (see sig) to 10.5.5, system using software update, and all went fine this time.

System rebooted, and then rebooted again

Here is the wow part

The system loads, and boots fine, wallpaper comes up, but nothing else. I have mouse pointer, it will move as normal

I booted with -f then -x

The system works fine in safe boot (-x)

I did remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.....so that is not it

after booting with -x, I have same issue, but spinning beach ball.

Any ideas?......some help would be nice on this one

Kenny

Video driver issue? If you are using an injector, remove it. EFI is the future; check your strings and hardware address in your .plist. If not, start up in Safe Mode again, see what didn't load. I'm betting something either video or sound related.

On Asus P5B deluxe, dual Nvidia 7600GT

Run the update, removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, reinstalled Taruga_AD1988b_rev3_Installer.app, restarted

It worked, but ethernet reported "cable unplugged", update somehow removed AppleYukon.text from IONetworkFamily.kext, so I have put one from backup to \System\Library\Extensions\IONetworkingFamily.kext\Contents\PlugIns\

everything is working...

Thanks for posting the direct links.

Does anybody know what the difference is between the "Client Patch" and "Client Update"?

Patch is what most people will get using "Software update" and was the best software for updating hacks with 10.5.4. It only changes needed files and mostly leaves our hack files alone. Combo Update does a major reinstall and messes with our hacks if installed normally.

Has anyone tried updating with a 9800 GTX yet ? I'm sketchy on the drivers.

Okay giving in, running time machine now .... before i test .hehe

So anyways it looks like i was successful, well sorta ... It didnt exactly just come back and took 2 reboots but it's now all good, video card still works , This is with the GFX strings mod, i guess if you didnt do it this way you need to mess with nvinject again .

On Asus P5B deluxe, dual Nvidia 7600GT

Run the update, removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, reinstalled Taruga_AD1988b_rev3_Installer.app, restarted

It worked, but ethernet reported "cable unplugged", update somehow removed AppleYukon.text from IONetworkFamily.kext, so I have put one from backup to \System\Library\Extensions\IONetworkingFamily.kext\Contents\PlugIns\

everything is working...

Wow, you're lucky. My P5B deluxe wifi wouldn't boot at all, it didn't like the new AHCI kexts. So I replaced 'em from Terminal off of the Kalyway DVD and all is now well.

Patch is what most people will get using "Software update" and was the best software for updating hacks with 10.5.4. It only changes needed files and mostly leaves our hack files alone. Combo Update does a major reinstall and messes with our hacks if installed normally.

OK, so that explains what I did wrong.... Oh well, took 3 hours of my time to fix all of the problems on both of my hacks, so I can't really complain. Gave me something productive to do this evening.

ah poop. 10.5.2 kaly -> 10.5.3 combo -> apple software update 10.5.4 -> 10.5.5 software update :P kernel panic/freezes on boot (same thing. AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext causes the system not to boot at all. i think.)

tried the instructions at Nykwil's link/the netkas method, didn't really help. (can't access terminal)

-v and this is what i got:

pic

i have a E8400 C2D, 9800 GTX, 4 gigs of ddr3 @ 667 mhz. asus p5k deluxe. also dual boot with a Vista 64 on a separate hdd.

any suggestions? appreciate all the help i can get. trying to get a hold of my original kalyway dvd to try some voodoo.

Hello

You can use IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext before updating to let you erase IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Place the kext at disk root (/) and set permissions of this kext then load the kext

chmod -R 755 /IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext
chown -R root:wheel /IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext
sudo kextload -v IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

When this done the kext is loaded so you can safely install combo update.

Boot with -F if you have an ATI card and you can erase AppleEFIRuntime.kext.

bye

ah poop. 10.5.2 kaly -> 10.5.3 combo -> apple software update 10.5.4 -> 10.5.5 software update :( kernel panic/freezes on boot (same thing. AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext causes the system not to boot at all. i think.)

tried the instructions at Nykwil's link/the netkas method, didn't really help. (can't access terminal)

-v and this is what i got:

pic

i have a E8400 C2D, 9800 GTX, 4 gigs of ddr3 @ 667 mhz. asus p5k deluxe. also dual boot with a Vista 64 on a separate hdd.

any suggestions? appreciate all the help i can get. trying to get a hold of my original kalyway dvd to try some voodoo.

It is a kernel panic from AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; says so right at the bottom of the screen. All I did to fix this was 1) booted from Kalyway DVD; 2) Loaded terminal; and 3) typed rm -f /Volumes/<my volume name>/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext -- then I rebooted, and all came back up fine. The update finished installing, the system rebooted, and I was looking at Mac OS X 10.5.5

Im totally new to the world of mac and after receiving my usb to ethernet adapter today i plugged it straight in and downloaded all updates without thinking :(

Looking at the 10.5.3 guide it seems like i have missed the first step as i didnt type the code into the terminal before i updated. I havent rebooted yet fortunately. Can i still remove the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext or do i need to do something else to fix this? Im using iATKOS R3.

Thanks in advance to any suggestions

Hosed my kalyway vanilla also.

To all people having the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext kernel panic, your install likely IS NOT HOSED.. Just do what I indicated above and remove the kext. I'm finding that even though an OSX86 install won't boot for some reason, it's seldom truly hosed. Seems like it's easier to fix certain things than it is in Windows.

Im totally new to the world of mac and after receiving my usb to ethernet adapter today i plugged it straight in and downloaded all updates without thinking :(

Looking at the 10.5.3 guide it seems like i have missed the first step as i didnt type the code into the terminal before i updated. I havent rebooted yet fortunately. Can i still remove the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext or do i need to do something else to fix this? Im using iATKOS R3.

Thanks in advance to any suggestions

Well, if you downloaded the update via Software Update, it doesn't start installing until you tell it to reboot. So you could try going to terminal and typing the code, and then hit restart. I don't guarantee it will work, but if it doesn't you can always boot via install DVD and use terminal to remove the kext. Only takes 4 or 5 minutes.

Thanks for the response, but you did not answer my question.

There appear to be three 10.5.5 client updates available from Apple:

What is this 322 MB "Client Update" suppose to be for?